Avastan: Planetfall

Tiglath
Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Avastan: Planetfall

#1121 Post by Tiglath »

Frank
shaidar wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:16 pm "Good day ladies and gentlemen. I am Colonel Cross" he heads over to the table, pours himself a drink and takes a sip "Please help yourself to refreshments. I am willing to hear your concerns, and I will do my best to pass them on to my employer."
Frank finds that the "Chamber of Commerce" are easily reassured once they are told that trade will continue uninterrupted and that business will be very much as usual but without the worrisome threat of (allied) pirates lurking in system.

Jakob has ideas regarding business schemes and seems content to lead on dealing with the merchants while Liv briefs Frank.

(OOC: PM sent).
Player: Jonathan/Tiglath
Sigrun Volsung, 9B7886, Lt Commander, 3 terms, age 31
Gun Cbt 3 (Rifle 2, Pistol 1), Melee Cbt 1 (Axe), Pilot 1,
Gunnery 1, Vacc Suit 1, Zero G 1, Streetwise 1, Recon 1,
Electronics 0, Grav Vehicle 0
Enemy: Imperial Navy (Lunion) Ine Givar(?)

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1122 Post by Tiglath »

Kit and Jess

The Aslan reassemble this time accompanied by their female. The males are now more bashful and somewhat more suspicious than aggressive. This might be due to presence of Jess (who they refer to as "Bannerman") and Polly, who they seem to revere, and her assistant Sazanami - who they studiously ignore.

Polly has her hair pinned into a casual "up do" and wears a pale blue silk belted dress bearing the Iyhlua Clan mon and wafts her fan which when opened reveals the same device. She has accessorized her outfit with a pair of kama (sickles) thrust through her belt.

The Aslan female bows to Polly, Jess and then Kit before stating "Assembled and honoured persons the associate warriors of the Iyhlua Clan seek your guidance on possible compensation for the loss of amenity to Clan property by removal of a "nest of elves". However, it has now become more apparent that the "elves" were, in fact, itinerant sophonts and therefore, if anything, interlopers but, in that event, not subject to claim by the Clan as property. We are grateful for your learned guidance in this matter". Her words are translated into Trokh by her own translator.

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1123 Post by Tiglath »

Kit

During the negotiations with the Aslan Kit notes that Able is using a side comm channel. Noticing him noticing Able volunteers “These Aslan are ruddy tasty in a barney, sir, but they've got more front than fekkin' Brighton*. I reckon they're 'avin' a laugh wiv this load of old pony abaht fairies that no one's laid their mincers on. You know, sir, tryin' it on? Well, if they want to 'ave a bundle they can see who's got the biggest firm”.

Kit notices that all of his squad (less the still unrecovered Whiskey) are present and armed with slung rifles and their preferred melee weapons/firearms.

Able adds “Baker's coverin' our ramparts, sir an' Charlie's just ahtside - wiv 'is crew an' an IFV. If the furry fekkers want some then they'll fekkin' get it!”

OOC: * An average Collace resort for midspire types with pretentions and famed for its seafront amenities and pier.

Collace translation service: barney/bundle = fight, front = cheekiness in this sense otherwise bravado/chutzpah, pony = pony and trap = poo that ryhmes with trap (per favour of the famous WC "inventor" Thomas Crapper), fairies = the now mythical(?) berm "elves", mincers = mince pies = eyes, firm = crew/gang).

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1124 Post by gurusql »

Kit

Kit will try to look at the damaged device (without picking it up) (Electronics-1, Computer-2) the to see if there is perhaps an easy fix to this issue.

and when he is able to reply to Able, Kit will say, "We are all friends here, were are not getting into dust up or a my side is bigger. We are keeping the peace here, but good to know we can end if they start it. But again, I want to do everything possible to avoid that."

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1125 Post by The Bindoner »

Jess grins at Able. Good lad. Planning ahead. She resolves to give him some pointers on fighting Aslan.

I think we need to see this elf nest. Not elves, of course, but Joes, ah, Zhodani.

Addressing the female:

What was this nest, and what was removed?

That these Zhodani could come and go in this place is concerning. Take us there, to examine the space and how to access it.

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1126 Post by Tiglath »

Kit

Able nods and replies "Righto, sir!"

Kit is able to determine that the only damaged bit of equipment is the Aslan male's translator. The damage equates to its "On" button being continually aggressively batted (actually "battered" is closer) by someone with Str A+ (sometimes in battledress).

Kit reckons he could fix the translator and restore it to its full working condition (i.e. prior to serial abuse by the male Aslan).

(OOC: NB This item is the only gear that featured in the relevant post and the Aslan have made no complaints or claims to SEMC regarding it. I cheerfully rolled with this as being "lost in (mis)translation" ;) :P :lol: )

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1127 Post by Tiglath »

Jess (Kit)
The Bindoner wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:01 pm Addressing the female:

What was this nest, and what was removed?

That these Zhodani could come and go in this place is concerning. Take us there, to examine the space and how to access it.
The female Aslan (Hatsuyuki (初雪, "First Snow") consults with the males whose rumbled conversation Jess can follow the gist of. Hatsuyuki, however, returns to reply with an accurate summary "It appears that our well intentioned warriors may have made some reasoning beyond their... area of expertise. With no working knowledge or understanding of these Zhodani, they assumed that they were an indigenous species and, furthermore, that a vehicle loading bay was their natural environment..." She pauses momentarily "...in which, by extended logic, they would "nest". Our well intentioned warriors managed to reach these profound conclusions without ever having seen either "elves", "nest" or any direct evidence that any such things existed". The female Aslan seems to be making every effort to keep her tone neutral and her tail very still. She adds "I have been busy conducting inventory of the Clan's new acquisition".

Seemingly grateful for the opportunity of movement Hatsuyuki leads a tour of the vehicle bays in the north "chord" of the Deliverance berm.

Those at the Hawkwind firefight will recall this area was believed to be the source of hostile fire and was suppressed by both Able and Kit's squads and then personally searched by Jakob after he made safe the nuke (and the area was later fully "swept" by Able's team when the entire berm was "policed up" after the battle). Three bodies were recovered: one in combat armour and two ISS Sec For troopers. A laser carbine was also recovered and dealt with by Kit (and Jakob).

The (now secure) area has loading bays for wheeled (or grav) transport and a small cargo handling area beyond that together with a maintenance space with supplies for upkeep of the berm. The floor above (extending to berm top height) is office space and living accommodation for berm maintenance and business staff. There are many entrances (both vehicle and personnel) giving access to the berm's "flight apron" and roof/berm top access but no egress to the main Starport.

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1128 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Freya
Jess, If you are searching for Zho lairs, you might need the customs container inspection gear. They don't need door-handles. So you need echo-locators or densitometers to scan for spaces behind walls, floors, etc.
Also, that the IISS and Zho were in one place seems off. They aren't historically friendly.

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1129 Post by The Bindoner »

BackworldTraveller wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:38 am Freya
Jess, If you are searching for Zho lairs, you might need the customs container inspection gear. They don't need door-handles. So you need echo-locators or densitometers to scan for spaces behind walls, floors, etc.
Also, that the IISS and Zho were in one place seems off. They aren't historically friendly.
Good thinking on the Customs kit. I don't rate the idea of an IISS and Zho link up, but, who knows?

Jess switches channel and asks Charlie to take a vehicle, pick up a tech and find her a set of Customs inspection sensors.

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1130 Post by Tiglath »

Jess finds that basic scanning gear has been outsourced (under Imperial seal) to the cargo handling bays of the individual berms.

Whether it was even used during the "pirate" regime is a debatable point but it exists and can be readily put to use. It seems that from a brief overview of the cargo handling systems the scanners were indeed used by the locals but data was not transmitted to the ISS.

(OOC:

Someone please hurl a Computer skill use at this in order to data mine what might otherwise be months of physical searching ;) ).

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1131 Post by gurusql »

Kit

Kit can always help with the data mining.

Computer (Computer-2 +2, Int B +1) [_2d6+3]=(2+6)=8+3=11

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1132 Post by Tiglath »

Kit

As soon as he becomes aware of the issue Kit sets to. With his computer know how he soon discovers that the "customs gear" has been used to ensure no smuggling or theft has occurred within the cargo handled by the berm.

He can pull up records of every item present and produce the densitometer scans which confirm the integrity and validity of all the cargo handled and stored within the "Deliverance/Iyhlua Clan Berm".

As he works at the computer console Corporal Able opines "I'm not really sure abaht these Zhodani really bein' 'ere at all - that's if'n you ask me, sir. I can tell you one fing though - the dead ISS security troopers weren't in alliance wiv anyone 'ere! They all got offed wiv energy weapons. Got it in the back an' all!" He looks moderately guilty and then adds "I was just checkin' the bodies over... laid 'em aht smart an' military lookin', sir". He then shiftily volunteers "Not much left on 'em. Those Zhodani must be thievin' canutes - cleaned 'em right aht, sir".

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1133 Post by gurusql »

Kit

"Sounding more like the Imps are trying to give the illusion of Elves. That would require that teleportation to be a trick. Kit will search for any records of hidden compartments found with the scans that could have be used at the Zho hiding place. If that does not work, we will need to get that scanner out and look ourselves."

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1134 Post by Tiglath »

Kit

Kit is able to confirm that (unless the computerised manifests have been artfully forged and also a majority of the civilian "stevadores" and their administrators are in on the scam) there are certainly no spaces and/or voids big enough to hide living quarters and life support within the cargo and almost just as surely no unaccounted for space within the stored cargo that could conceal a lurking sophont. He reasons that highly sophistcated smugglers might, of course, circumvent or defeat these checks but in reality would likely just not expose their cargo to local inspection by avoiding the starport entirely.

Able is slipped a small stack of what might be Imperial credit chips by Route One which he appraises with an expert glance and pockets before quietly responding "Kushti". He then focusses back to the matter in hand and sagely volunteers "Seems like it was like one 'o them miffs, sir. Like on "Z Files" on the Hive tube - Melony Frontage* was in it. The Zhodani was gettin' into wardrobes to bog crumpet droppin' their trollies an' that... " He is momentarily lost in fond reminiscence before he returns "Er... but in the end it was just a load of blimpers wiv false whiskers... I'm not sure if that 'elped... sir".

(OOC: Apparently a Collace artiste popular with those favouring the "cheap seats"... :roll:

Blimper: a bogger of crumpet in the illicit sense, a peeping Tom (per favour of Collace trans service)).

Please make an Int/Reasoning roll for Kit re: something in the back of his mind.

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1135 Post by gurusql »

Kit

I am assuming that this roll you are looking for

Perception Roll (Int B +1) [_2d6+1]=(3+5)=8+1=9

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1136 Post by Tiglath »

Frank and Prerna

Frank is grateful for Jakob's enthusiastic approach to dealing with the Avastan merchants. Just when he sees a potential gap emerging in his schedule Voss announces "Sir, Major Nayar and our guest Major East have returned from their... assessment of the berm defences". He ushers both within with a warm smile "Ma'am, Major East ma'am".

A very cheerful Erica greets Frank and states "Colonel Cross, in my liaison role, may I pass on the satisfaction of our collective employer - McClellan Factors. I have the same message for Colonel Skeet and other sub contracted units. McClellan administration assets will now be ferried from orbit to achieve regime transition". She gives a sour smile at this last. It may be this or perhaps side effect of her current bonhommie but she adds casually "That is McClellan Factors member of the Trexalon Technical Consortium and subsidiary of the Mega Corporation Schunamann und Sohn AG - or SuSAG as you may know it on Collace". Continuing in businesslike tone she says " Your security responsibilities here terminate within 48hrs or upon signature for receipt of this facility by an authorized McClellan representative - which ever event occurs first. I have recommended that release of payment be forwarded to the respective brokers in Collace Spire together with any agreed bonuses. Five million Imperial credits will be in SEMC's account as soon as authourisation reaches Collace. I can confirm that the McClellan courier bearing the authentication codes is already headed from high orbit to the jump point. Our employer wishes you the best of your prize vessels and reminds you of the agreed 30% lien levied on all such craft repayable to McClellan's credit brokers: SuSAG head office in the Collace spire business district". Erica "pings" Frank all relevant details.

She adds "Colonel, there is one anomalous vessel which, while not a prize per se, has been liberated and its grateful crew rescued by SEMC. The Hawkwind lies wholly within SEMC's berm which I understand is soon to become the property of the Iyhlua Clan and more specifically Yūgure, The Twilight executive commander of Teahleikhoi, the Regiment of the Falling Night. Colonel, the Hawkwind stands repaired and ready to depart and I am authorised to negotiate their release by the ship's Master Ødger Erikkson. The Master is perhaps not unreasonably anxious to be free before his vessel is subject to a yet further claim by the rather acquisitive Iyhlua Clan. I therefore ask what consideration would be appropriate to secure the continuation of this trader's voyage now she is free from the grasp of Avastan's pirates and corrupt administration".

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1137 Post by shaidar »

Frank

"Thank you major for the heads-up, and the reminder about the lien. Not that I've forgotten, when it comes to SuSAG my memory is long. I'll schedule a discussion with Perna, Jess and Jakob later about the options for handling that. I want to be out of here as quickly as possible. As for the Hawkwind...let's see if we can sort this out now...if you don't mind waiting a few moments while we discuss it."

Frank sets up a private channel between himself, Prerna and Jess.

"Sargent-Major, I hope you have a minute to join us to discuss The Hawkwind. They wish to depart and are wondering how much we need to pay for us to let then go." he glances over towards Erica "I have noticed on our jobs we seem to be bumping into the same people. Maybe the mercenary world is small, or maybe there is a bigger, perhaps unseen, player around with a bigger plan we don't see. I'm willing to let the Hawkwind go for nothing and gain some grace, but as partners you both have an equal say."

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1138 Post by Tiglath »

Freya
BackworldTraveller wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:38 am Also, that the IISS and Zho were in one place seems off. They aren't historically friendly.
With the aid of his comm's screen as a mirror Freddie adjusts his cerise "ascot" to his satisfaction and offers "Ma'am, have you ever seen a "cat fight" in a bar for... ah... "confirmed bachelors"? If this was the Zhodani then they got on with the ISS troopers with exactly the same level of utterly ruthless brutality ... and executed it like folk who finesse the art". He twitches up the tarp laid over the ISS Sec For mercs "Now these two got it from behind, which always raises an eyebrow if you're not expecting it, and chummy here in the combat armour got a through and through with a high energy weapon. Poor love - must have broken his tailor's heart. If the shooter then moved or went into cover then that might have set up these two poor saps to be looking the wrong way while the second shooter lit them up? Maybe with a high tech laser - since, unlike their better dressed chum, I can't see daylight through them. If the Zhodani made them look the wrong way then maybe we are too?" He muses "I suppose we should wonder why, if the Zhodani were here, why they still would be?"

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1139 Post by Tiglath »

gurusql wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:38 amI am assuming that this roll you are looking for

Perception Roll (Int B +1) [_2d6+1]=(3+5)=8+1=9
Thank you.

PM pinged!
:)

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1140 Post by The Bindoner »

Frank sets up a private channel between himself, Prerna and Jess.

"Sargent-Major, I hope you have a minute to join us to discuss The Hawkwind. They wish to depart and are wondering how much we need to pay for us to let then go." he glances over towards Erica "I have noticed on our jobs we seem to be bumping into the same people. Maybe the mercenary world is small, or maybe there is a bigger, perhaps unseen, player around with a bigger plan we don't see. I'm willing to let the Hawkwind go for nothing and gain some grace, but as partners you both have an equal say."

Jess replies: On my way.

She hands over the computer tablet she has been working with to the next competent person (Jess has Sensor Op 1).

To Kit and the others: Boss wants a word.

Hearing the situation with Hawkwind:

I see the point of buying friends by seeing ‘em off with a smile and a wave, but they’re just as likely to take us for mugs. How about a marker? A favour we can call in. Or. We’re turnin’ the Bartizan into a port of sorts, maybe they promise to send their cargo through us, an’ we give ‘em a decent rate.

Return to “District 268 Year 1105 (CT/CE Traveller)”