Avastan: Planetfall

Tiglath
Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Avastan: Planetfall

#1 Post by Tiglath »

The Plaza Bar unofficially known as “Gunny's” is busy even though it's early evening. The back bar, the unofficial haunt of a number of Collace's resident mercenary bands, is near full - hosting the SEMC.

A couple of grizzled vets sit with the owner himself on the public side of the bar. One completes a tale with “... and so I shouted “Never deploy anywhere that ends in 'stan””. Gunny laughs then asks “So, Smith's replacement shows some promise?” A fellow wearing regulation high sides with a touch of silver showing through replies “They demonstrated Smith's proposed Flame Unit (Combat Urban) [Proposed]". Deadpan he tells Gunny "I helped Smith with that acronym - he never even noticed". He continues "Fuller didn't even blink - but he just looked my way. Dropped with him on Lanth. So then he asks “Where the hell do you put the bayonet?” The marine then adds "At the end of the parade Fuller thanked them for their input and then said “Take me to the Brig. I want to see real Marines”. Gunny smiles and meets the eye of his comrades. The vets nod and raise their beers with a heartfelt “Oorah!”

Further down the bar a deadpan Baker asks Charlie “Your new bird... when you're at it do you let 'er guide dog watch?”

Charlie calmly takes a pull of his beer and says “Nah, of a night time 'er guide dog's always round your mum's house...”

Alas rapier like wit is not universal. From a corner table Kingy retorts “Fek off! Oh, sorry miss! Ruddyfek!” He recoils from the drinks on the server's tray. Camp Freddie purrs “Strawberry Daiquiris all round. Bottoms up, Kingy”.

Meanwhile at another table Gaughan holds court “Right, now here's your money. Why, yes, it is half – because earlier, if you remember, I carefully explained the concept of “tomorrow”. Costello remember one zero is tens and two is hundreds. Remember now when you're on the town be polite - courtesy costs nothing. And Lannigan don't... oh, never mind!”

He later makes a call “Would that be Garda O'Malley? Darragh Gaughan. Oh, you got the whiskey did you now? Well, no reason, but my dear mother was afflicted with the Sight and I have some dear friends out on the town tonight and I fear they may fall foul of some... ill luck... It's just a terrible premonition so it is - which I'm sure won't come to pass...”

(OOC: No real need to pitch in here! Events just trundling along... :) )
Last edited by Tiglath on Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Player: Jonathan/Tiglath
Sigrun Volsung, 9B7886, Lt Commander, 3 terms, age 31
Gun Cbt 3 (Rifle 2, Pistol 1), Melee Cbt 1 (Axe), Pilot 1,
Gunnery 1, Vacc Suit 1, Zero G 1, Streetwise 1, Recon 1,
Electronics 0, Grav Vehicle 0
Enemy: Imperial Navy (Lunion) Ine Givar(?)

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Avastan: Planetfall

#2 Post by joertexas »

Tiglath wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 9:20 pm The Plaza Bar unofficially known as “Gunny's” is busy even though its early evening. The back bar, the unofficial haunt of a number of Collace's resident mercenary bands, is near full - hosting the SEMC.
Prerna steps inside the public section and makes her way to the back bar. She finds a barstool and sits down. When the barkeep comes, she orders a burger, fries, and a light ale.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97
Slug Rifle- 3, Medicine-2, Tactics-2, Zero-G-2, Streetwise- 2

In the Marches
Zaki Shursila, 486B97, Army, Major, 3 terms, 31
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by gurusql »

Kit

Kit spends some time in the bar splitting time between getting to know members of the company and just people watching. Kit tries to order his favorite drink the Feni, but since it is not uncommon that most bars don't know what that is, if required he will order a Whisky Mac.

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by The Bindoner »

Jess has conducted so many interviews at Gunny's she almost thinks of it as another workplace. Almost.

She nurses a premium lager and watches for now, keeping an eye on the SEMC troopers. There'll be time for proper drinking later. Maybe dancing too.

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Tiglath »

Kit gets a nod from Gunny himself who is clearly having a night on the other side of the bar. If this isn't a really quite classy Marine (Mercs and Special Forces allowed if they behave) bar then Kit's bar radar is way off!

He finds that before he can order his Feni the staff issue him a premium beer and refuse payment. The young Vargr behind the bar makes no fuss but politely says "Thank you for your service, sir".

Kit then finds that ordering from the back bar has a certain cachet. The staff state they have no Feni in house but offer him another free beer or Whiskey Mac while they send out for it. Meals are available in the back bar on request - there appears to be an "unwritten menu" governed by sense and reason. The food is good quality and prices paid seem very reasonable compared to the not bad but competitive "tourist menu" out front.

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by gurusql »

Kit is sure to tip on the free drinks and once he understands the back bar system he orders some local vegetables, breaded and fried with the house sauce. He always enjoys the local food. :lol:

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by shaidar »

Frank

Intent to let the troopers enjoy themselves, a casually dressed Frank slips into the back bar, grabs a stool and joins the others. He orders a steak, fries and a side salad with a premium beer to wash it down.

"They've certainly earned themselves a good night out"
Last edited by shaidar on Tue May 25, 2021 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by joertexas »

shaidar wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 3:35 pm Frank

Intent to let the troopers enjoy themselves, a casually dressed Frank slips into the back bar, grabs a stools and joins the others. He orders a steak, fries and a side salad with a premium beer to wash it down.

"They've certainly earned themselves a good night out"
"I think we all have," Prerna says from her seat two stools away. "We are about to go do it all again, although I'd like to stay fully dressed during actual combat."
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by shaidar »

Frank just about manages to avoid inhaling his beer as he bursts into laughter "I dunno, I was thinking we could update the uniforms. Fight, then party, rinse and repeat. The life of a merc...living the dream" he smiles.

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Tiglath »

All

Two older guys seem out of place in the back bar not because of their age but because they seem somehow “unmercenary” in appearance.

The rail thin guy who looks as if he's processing a bad smell wears a grey suit and sips from a plain glass of water. His companion's good cheer acts as a counterpoint to his apparent disdain for his surroundings. The other man wears a neat beard with some grey in it and carries a little too much weight to be a “door kicker” but has the eyes of an operator. He squeezes up to the bar and makes to sound the bell set above it.

Gunny interrupts him saying “Sir, I am the owner here and we have traditions. That bell can't be unrung and you'll need to have brought your money with you if you ring it”. The man replies with a grin “My apologies Gunny I should have asked. I believe you are hosting the SEMC this evening and I'm here to pay off a debt. This should secure my tab”. He absently pats the pockets of his well filled suit and slapping down a large heavy coin slides it over to the ex marine. On the bar the coin's metal dances with bands of faint purple light. Gunny replies with a smile “Well, it seems like you came prepared, go on ahead!”

Gunny wisely steps away from the bar and the bigger guy rings the bell causing something of a halfway disciplined stampede as patrons crowd the bar to buy a drink on his tab. Those younger patrons not in the know soon catch on and join the crush.

(OOC: Your recruiting drive is complete but I'll not steal Jess' thunder.

Can I assume all hardware purchases are going through?

That's two APCs, one PD variant (with capacity to carry a half squad) and one mortar carrying “Technical” air raft).

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by joertexas »

Tiglath wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 3:05 pm Prerna

Gunny wisely steps away from the bar and the bigger guy rings the bell causing something of a halfway disciplined stampede as patrons crowd the bar to buy a drink on his tab. Those younger patrons not in the know soon catch on and join the crush.
"Ah! Woman with a drink here," Prerna squawks as she holds her ale mug over her plate, elbows at her side while her troopers crowd her from both sides. Gunny, another ale, when you can get here."

Tiglath wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 3:05 pm (OOC: Your recruiting drive is complete but I'll not steal Jess' thunder.

Can I assume all hardware purchases are going through?

That's two APCs, one PD variant (with capacity to carry a half squad) and one mortar carrying “Technical” air raft).
We also have the ambulance and the bus, correct? The air raft should be enclosed, with a "sunroof" top to fire through. For all of these vehicles, is it possible/desirable to obtain light armor panels, like Kevlar, to protect the craft's vitals from shrapnel and light arms fire?
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by shaidar »

Frank waits for the chaos to die down before (assuming the two men are still there) approaching the man who rang the bell and holding out his hand

"Good evening, do you mind if I ask the name of our generous benefactor?"

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Tiglath »

joertexas wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 4:47 pm "Ah! Woman with a drink here," Prerna squawks as she holds her ale mug over her plate, elbows at her side while her troopers crowd her from both sides. Gunny, another ale, when you can get here."
Gunny simply nods respectfully in Prerna's direction and simply says "Ma'am". He then projects "Make way for the lady!" simultaneously Gaughan turns on his bar stool and bellows "Faugh a Ballagh!" The simultaneous barrage of "command"* is quite staggering to behold as about fifty thirsty mercs on route to a free drink hold in place while Prerna finds a path magically opening before her to the bar. Gunny nods at Gaughan and growls "Open that man a tab".

* "Exceptional/Biblical Success" isn't so much of a reach when you're starting at somewhere near "Success" 8-)
joertexas wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 4:47 pm We also have the ambulance and the bus, correct? The air raft should be enclosed, with a "sunroof" top to fire through. For all of these vehicles, is it possible/desirable to obtain light armor panels, like Kevlar, to protect the craft's vitals from shrapnel and light arms fire?
(OOC: Yes. The type you can get is effectively a fixed windshield Humvee. You can build up the sides with (Mr. Solomon's favoured recipe being boiler plate/flak jacket/boiler plate) to kinda guarantee small arms protection but remain open topped. The muzzle of the mortar has to remain outside the vehicle and must also give access for the loader. So I can't see a sunroof option working where the crew have to stand to operate the weapon. [Even the modern M113 variant is open topped].

However, armouring up is literally "bolting on" expense to a budget vehicle which can only degrade its performance. The upgrade path is possibly to keep the air raft as a runabout/supply vehicle and then just buy better fire support).

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Tiglath »

shaidar wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 5:24 pm "Good evening, do you mind if I ask the name of our generous benefactor?"
The big man pauses a moment in recognition and says “You must be Colonel Cross - what a delight!” He shakes Frank's hand with apparent bonhomie “It is my great pleasure to buy your lads a glass. My name is Falstaff but the generosity is that of my liege and old comrade Norris in whose name I act”.

His slim comrade gives a near smile and states “Colonel Cross, my congratulations, I understand the recent service of your mercenaries in place of proper Imperial forces came up to the required standard. That has been noted".

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by shaidar »

Frank returns Falstaffs enthusiastic handshake.

When the name Norris is mentioned Frank's ears prick up. He turns to the slimmer man and nods (not quite a bow) "Thank you sir, and I appreciate you taking the time to personally show your appreciation"

OOC EDIT: I'm making the possibility incorrect assumption that the slim man is Duke Norris. Has Frank seen pictures of the Duke?

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Tiglath »

Frank has seen Duke Norris in the media and knows neither man is him. The slim man seems unaccustomed to receiving as friendly a greeting as Frank's. He replies icily "Er... yes. Sadly, Sir John once again exceeds the boundaries of both his budget, authority and policy”.

Falstaff loudly responds “Allow me to introduce Doctor van Owen of Imperial Intelligence!" The slim man winces and looks daggers at Falstaff who then adds "I'll not spend my aid budget paying people to not attack us. It's better spent on beer!"

Van Owen casts his disdainful gaze about the room to focus on Liv "I understand you are picking up our cast offs Colonel? Please inform Ms Ellis that her duty to the Imperium continues even if her employment with the Navy has terminated. I expect full reports of your operations both from her and any other mercenary agents associated with your unit".

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by shaidar »

Frank

"Good Evening Doctor"

As the doctor mentions Liv and his expectations Frank raises his eyebrows

"Ms Ellis is an excellent operative, we were lucky to have her assistance on Inchin. With her decision to leave the Navy, the company is also very lucky to have to obtained her services.

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by BackworldTraveller »

shaidar wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 8:07 am Frank returns Falstaffs enthusiastic handshake.

When the name Norris is mentioned Frank's ears prick up. He turns to the slimmer man and nods (not quite a bow) "Thank you sir, and I appreciate you taking the time to personally show your appreciation"

OOC EDIT: I'm making the possibility incorrect assumption that the slim man is Duke Norris. Has Frank seen pictures of the Duke?
It won't be Duke Norris of Regina...Wrong subsector, wrong context, and too far from the madding crowd for him to be anywhere near without a political roadshow

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Tiglath »

BackworldTraveller wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 2:59 pm It won't be Duke Norris of Regina...Wrong subsector, wrong context, and too far from the madding crowd for him to be anywhere near without a political roadshow
“Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, he walks into mine...”

OK, perhaps not! ;) :)

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Tiglath »

Frank

Falstaff states “Well, Doctor van Owen, we have had a full and productive business day. I think I'll stay for one or two more before turning in. Please feel free to join me – Duke Norris is paying!” He appears distracted by a pair of “Gunny Bunnies” (local girls who like merc bars) who appear to have managed to slip into the back bar.

Van Owen replies caustically “Thank you, no”. Turning to Frank he adds “Indeed, a number of your officers have some talent. Your unit has my interest Colonel. I'll leave you to enjoy your party. Good Night”. Van Owen takes his leave (via air cab).

(OOC: Frank will be aware that Imperial Intelligence (ImpInt) is, of course, an entirely separate organisation to Imperial Naval Intelligence and that the two agencies cooperate and share information at every turn – not! ;)
For reference Imp Int have a reputation similar to that of the Cold War CIA).

Return to “District 268 Year 1105 (CT/CE Traveller)”