[004] Arriving at Birach Highport

joertexas
joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

[004] Arriving at Birach Highport

#1 Post by joertexas »

Three and a half days after the Caladia Rescue, as the media has dubbed it, the Lady Perlanda arrives at the Birach Highport, which is located at the planet-moon L2 point. The ship will stay here, and those traveling planetside will take the intrasystem shuttles that leave every three hours. The journey to Birach Downport will take another six hours. The ship and passengers will have to clear Customs first, and then they can leave for the planet.

"Look at this," Vee says. She brings up the holo display over the table where everyone in Foix's party is enjoying their breakfast. The headline behind the newscaster reads "CALADIA RESCUE" with a picture of the ship in better days.

An overly-coiffed newscaster with overly white teeth that contrast sharply with his dark skin is speaking, and Vee turns up the volume. ... communique, the Birach Navy issued a preliminary report this morning on the Caladia, the derelict cruiser that arrived in the inner system with over a hundred survivors aboard. The Comte Foix, a noble of House Foix, intercepted the ship and disabled her. While they were able to rescue some of the survivors, more, including children, perished in an explosion aboard the badly damaged vessel. The Navy has opened an investigation, both of the ship's journey, and the Navy's handling of the situation. Some people are questioning how Foix, and the passenger liner he was aboard, came to be involved, their subsequent actions, and how the Caladia made it so far in-system without being detected. We will have more on this story as it develops."

Vee shuts down the display. "Wonderful."
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97
Slug Rifle- 3, Medicine-2, Tactics-2, Zero-G-2, Streetwise- 2

In the Marches
Zaki Shursila, 486B97, Army, Major, 3 terms, 31
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: [004] Arriving at Birach Highport

#2 Post by Tiglath »

Foix is aware that he knows little of Birach and its politics. He will invite Captain and Sub Lt LeFron (together with any other suitable Birach Navy guests) for dinner aboard the Lady Perlanda with a view to sounding them out as to what to expect from Birach's media.
Player: Jonathan/Tiglath
Sigrun Volsung, 9B7886, Lt Commander, 3 terms, age 31
Gun Cbt 3 (Rifle 2, Pistol 1), Melee Cbt 1 (Axe), Pilot 1,
Gunnery 1, Vacc Suit 1, Zero G 1, Streetwise 1, Recon 1,
Electronics 0, Grav Vehicle 0
Enemy: Imperial Navy (Lunion) Ine Givar(?)

SpinwardMarch
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#3 Post by SpinwardMarch »

Taheri

After Vee shuts off the display, Taheri says, Well, there goes the local tabloid press. Why do they all look like they come from the same android factory? She shakes her head. She has seen this before, in other locations.

Comte, you probably already know this, but say nothing to the press. I have no idea of the local politics, or the relationship press has with the politicians.

SpinwardMarch

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by The Bindoner »

Zhenya backs Taheri: My professional advice, say nothing to anyone, unless it is a prepared version of the truth that reveals nothing. No motives, no methods. No names. Passive voice. There were events, opaque things happened to some of those present.

A smile: I always had to work to get information, I do not see why the people here should not have to. ...which broadens: I am hoping for generous entertainment and favours.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by shaidar »

Anne nods "All good advice, I've nothing useful to add. In my career I haven't really needed to worry about such things"

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Tiglath »

Foix takes the advice of his entourge and waits to see what the Birach Navy's position is.

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by joertexas »

Tiglath wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 5:18 pm Foix is aware that he knows little of Birach and its politics. He will invite Captain and Sub Lt LeFron (together with any other suitable Birach Navy guests) for dinner aboard the Lady Perlanda with a view to sounding them out as to what to expect from Birach's media.
The LeFrons accept the invitation, and they also invite a BN liaison officer.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by shaidar »

Anne

"I don't know why it was sent to me, Comte, but I received a message saying that Juliette Pike's father will be at a conference at Ifningholm downport tomorrow and would like to meet up with his daughter there"

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Tiglath »

Foix replies to Anne "Confirm that is the case as best you can and let Juliette know". He then adds "She remains under my protection and so I will deliver her there myself".

He enertains the Lefrons and the Navy liaison officer in fine style with attendance optional for all members of the retinue. A fine dinner is sandwiched between drinks and then over cognac and cigars the business of debriefing the "Caladia Rescue" can begin.

Foix restates his account and then says "I regret that we could not rescue all aboard but given the tragic circumstances and the actions of both androids I believe we achieved all that we reasonably could. However, I get a sense that the Birach media are not people who will let the truth get in the way of a good story? Should I hire a lawyer or agent to assist in dealing with them?"

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by shaidar »

Tiglath wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 3:24 pm Foix replies to Anne "Confirm that is the case as best you can and let Juliette know". He then adds "She remains under my protection and so I will deliver her there myself".
Anne

"I will make what enquiries I can to confirm. I would like to accompany you when you deliver her if I may. I knew Julliette's father when I was young"

Anne will do what she can to discretely confirm Cpt Pike's whereabouts before informing Julliette

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by The Bindoner »

Tiglath wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 3:24 pm Foix replies to Anne "Confirm that is the case as best you can and let Juliette know". He then adds "She remains under my protection and so I will deliver her there myself".

He enertains the Lefrons and the Navy liaison officer in fine style with attendance optional for all members of the retinue. A fine dinner is sandwiched between drinks and then over cognac and cigars the business of debriefing the "Caladia Rescue" can begin.

Foix restates his account and then says "I regret that we could not rescue all aboard but given the tragic circumstances and the actions of both androids I believe we achieved all that we reasonably could. However, I get a sense that the Birach media are not people who will let the truth get in the way of a good story? Should I hire a lawyer or agent to assist in dealing with them?"
Zhenya comments: When the press want a story it is best to give them one. On our own terms. A PR professional and a bidding war for the rights to an exclusive interview should be a good start.

SpinwardMarch
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#12 Post by SpinwardMarch »

Taheri

Anyone good at writing press releases? That is just not my department. We better give the press something to keep them busy and out of our way. Passive voice is always the best policy. Meanwhile, I am going go over my vacc suit and laser rifle, for the next adventure. And that is what she does.
SpinwardMarch

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by BackworldTraveller »

The hand-over of the children at the starport will be administratively interesting. They will need to be declared legal wards of state, fully medically assessed and some form of safe accommodation provided. Rock and Elvira (mostly Elvira) will see that the process doesn't develop into an administrative hell-hole in the first hour. After all, it hasn't been unknown for the females to be split off and comfortably housed in the local brothel while their brothers are gainfully employed acting as drug couriers!

Rock will spend his time looking for a reputable children's charity whose interests will be enhanced by some connection with the ever affable Comte. After that - Schmoozing with the board!

It would be tricky for the count if, for instance, by sponsoring their rescue he was responsible for their upkeep: What are the local laws regarding the import of rescued minors?

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Tiglath »

shaidar wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 4:13 pm"I will make what enquiries I can to confirm. I would like to accompany you when you deliver her if I may. I knew Julliette's father when I was young"
Foix replies "Of course!"

(OOC: It will be a nice day out for the retinue! :) )

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Tiglath »

BackworldTraveller wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 8:05 am It would be tricky for the count if, for instance, by sponsoring their rescue he was responsible for their upkeep: What are the local laws regarding the import of rescued minors?
Foix made the four(?) orphans from the rescue ball wards of House Foix so the House is responsible for their upkeep.

He, of course, will be leaving any actual care duties to the House staff! :roll:

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Tiglath wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 2:38 pm
BackworldTraveller wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 8:05 am It would be tricky for the count if, for instance, by sponsoring their rescue he was responsible for their upkeep: What are the local laws regarding the import of rescued minors?
Foix made the four(?) orphans from the rescue ball wards of House Foix so the House is responsible for their upkeep.

He, of course, will be leaving any actual care duties to the House staff! :roll:
And the rest of the Orphans/Refugees? I hope this PR team are good!

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Tiglath »

BackworldTraveller wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 3:01 pmAnd the rest of the Orphans/Refugees? I hope this PR team are good!
The complete family units from Mother's side we left to the Birach Navy.

We just took the four rescuees from Master's side (who Foix assumed would be orphans or geneered equivalent).

SpinwardMarch
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#18 Post by SpinwardMarch »

Taheri

She sat in on the dinner, but said little.

Later, she will request to speak with Foix, and Zhenya, if available, about the "orphans."

Comte, sir. I have a suggestion regarding the orphans. From what I have seen, the children were, at best, mistreated. Any interaction with the press should include their unfortunate state, and also, how they will have a chance of a much better future as your wards. Kids and small, furry animals are a great distraction.
SpinwardMarch

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Tiglath »

Foix replies "I see your point Commander but pending a medical and psychological green light I'll not put the little ones before the local media. It seems that Birach may have had past issues with noble houses".

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by joertexas »

Tiglath wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 3:24 pm
The liaison officer, Commander Paul Gascón, is tall, medium complected, dark-haired, and roguishly handsome. "Comte, what reporter ever allows the facts to distort a story? The Navy investigators are still aboard the Caladia, where they are recovering the crew's remains. It will take another few days to release a preliminary report. When they do, it might be a good idea to have someone ready to field anything they might find." He smiles at Foix. "I might be of some assistance, unofficially, of course. If you have someone on your staff who handles such things, I will be glad to help."

"I can take this on, Milord," Vee says.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

Return to “An Honorable Foix (CE Traveller)”