Ambergris > In Search of a Song

hedgeknight
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Ambergris > In Search of a Song

#121 Post by hedgeknight »

Walking through the streets of the Lower City, Ambergris and Lesh pass all sorts of folks from all walks of life, nothing unusual in a city like Baldur's Gate. But, they do find themselves walking along behind an odd trio: a Tabaxi, a Drow, and a Tiefling. The Tabaxi and Tiefling are chatting back and forth > first about some type of reptilian repellent, and then the name Mortlock Vanthampur comes up. To which, the Tiefling says, "Everybody knows he oversees a shady bathhouse over in Heapside."

Ambergris and Lesh exchange looks. Everyone in the city knows the Vanthampur family...or at least they've heard of them. Thalamra Vanthampur is one of the four ruling Dukes of Baldur's Gate. She has three sons: Amrik, Mortlock, and Thurstwell. They are very prominent in the city where the Vanthampur name is feared in most circles and silently cursed in others.
Winter is coming...

Tell
Guide
Guide

#122 Post by Tell »

Lesh looks curiously to his companion wondering if they should try to speak with this group. Based on the reptile comment prephaps Lesh should hang back?

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#123 Post by Spearmint »

Ambergris

Is the drow one of the two who were in the Elfsong Tavern when 'the Banshee' sang earlier?

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#124 Post by Spearmint »

Ambergris

Using his warlock mind link, the ex-whaler focuses on the silver haired drow. He looks an obvious cultic follower, probably a Dead3 acolyte. Maybe a spy listening in at the taverns to his own lucid telepathics with the dark realms.

"You know its true. Your furry friend has fleas, tell him he needs a bath at the Nymph.

The horned one worships the demon. It is in his blood. They are leading you astray.

Repent of your sins before your soul is taken."

He wants to sow some doubt and fear into the drow.

Ambergris proficiency with Intimidation [1d20+2]=20+2=22

Tell
Guide
Guide

#125 Post by Tell »

Can I aid him by standing to my full height just generally looking as big as possible. My hands are near my weapons but not one enough to provoke them yet.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#126 Post by hedgeknight »

Winter is coming...

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#127 Post by hedgeknight »

Back at Willow's...
If Lesh has one of the red crystal vials he will show it to Willow - maybe he can identify it?
Willow takes the vial, looks at it closely, swirls it around a few times, then uncorks it. A thin trail of smoke emits from the opening and quickly dissipates in the air. Willow takes a sniff and grunts. "It be a potion what lets one breathe fire. Might want ta be a bit careful with it."

Willow chats with you while you eat and before you catch a couple of hours of rest. He is curious about the bathhouse and so is Scalm. "First of all, you two smell live a privy! Did you find the person you were looking for? What else did you learn?"

While you respond, Willow tends to your wounds, applying an ointment from a small clay jar to the worst of them, while also channeling healing energy into your bodies.
Winter is coming...

Tell
Guide
Guide

#128 Post by Tell »

Lesh turns to Ambergris, "Hook hand what think you? Move our next is?"

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#129 Post by Spearmint »

Ambergris

Takes the bath and the healing salves. There is a lot for him to think about. What just happened, where to go next.

It all started in a tavern, the Elfsong though that seems a long while ago not just yesterday. Guided or rather provoked by Dendar, he is not sure what path to tread.

They have promised to meet up with Tommy but I think at least helping Lesh with any hospital drama and touching base with his senior priests might be in order.

So Ambergris will suggest that.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#130 Post by hedgeknight »

Willow listens quietly while Scalm draws a bath. As Ambergris soaks and talks with Lesh, Scalm sits cross-legged on one of the cots and meditates. "Going to Harborside, eh?" Willow muses, cleaning a deep cut on Lesh's hide. "Sommat went down last night and I hear tell tha place be overrun with tha walking dead. Necromancy at its finest!"
Willow shakes his head and steps back from Lesh. "If'n ya plan ta go there, ya gonna need some help. Where be yer companion, tha cat?"

Willow's words become distant as Ambergris dozes in his bath; beaten and battered with almost no rest. As he sleeps, his mind wanders...and a familiar voice comes to him. "My child...do not forget what I have shown you. You must drink of the cup..."
Special tea.jpg
Special tea.jpg (23.64 KiB) Viewed 661 times

"And you must stop the destruction of the souls of the city..."

purple wizard.jpg
purple wizard.jpg (157.62 KiB) Viewed 661 times

"These things must come to pass, else you and all hold dear are doomed to live and walk...in death eternal. Are you listening, my child?"

Ambergris jerks awake and after a few seconds, his eyes focus and remembers where he is. Nearby, beads of sweat run down Scalm's face and drip into her lap. Her lips are moving and her fingers and eyelids are twitching. What is happening to her?
Winter is coming...

Tell
Guide
Guide

#131 Post by Tell »

Lesh is speaking with Willow about the Dead Three cult but if/when Willow notices Scalm's situation he will move over to her.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#132 Post by Spearmint »

Ambergris

"Is she communing with some Infernal spirit?"

Scalm is a Tiefling?

My warlock 'otherwordly patron' gives me access to cast Detect Thoughts as a 2nd level spell, so if possible I will use that to listen in and understand what is going on.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#133 Post by hedgeknight »

Lesh and Ambergris converge on Scalm, once they realize something is happening with the tiefling, perhaps even in her mind; Willow keeps his distance, sipping tea but watching closely.
Ambergris reaches into her mind, trying to listen in on her thoughts...and gasps aloud when his mind is opened! Lesh sees his companion react and reaches out to lay a hand on Ambergris' shoulder, and Lesh too is sucked into a mind-warping nightmare!

Screams of pain and agony...guttural roars and bestial laughter...the sound of whips and chains...grunting and braying...these are the sounds that fill the minds of those in the room who are linked together in the ether. And one image keeps flashing before their minds eyes:

Baphomet-5e.jpg
Baphomet-5e.jpg (53.44 KiB) Viewed 646 times

The demon lord of the maze reaches out to snatch something and all three of the companions jerk awake with a shout. Wild eyes and heavy breathing, sweaty faces and trembling hands. Scalm gags and threatens to lose her breakfast, but manages to swallow the bile in the back of her throat. "Baphomet! His presence is near! He has a following in the city! But where?"
"Underground, no doubt," Willow pipes in. "The Lord of the Maze does not operate above ground, but below."
Winter is coming...

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#134 Post by Spearmint »

Ambergris

Guesses hot tub time is over, he dresses (not wanting Scalm to gag more).

Ok. So demons rise in the city underworld. But we cannot go alone, we are too few and Tommy has gone to the Low Lantern. The sea dog is used to hunting whales, just endless pursuit on the open seas where the prey is in open sight. He has no tactical genius for fighting cultists. And also, little or no authority to commandeer others to follow.

He looks to Lesh to hear what he might advise.

Tell
Guide
Guide

#135 Post by Tell »

Lesh is at a loss demons like Baphomet are above his pay grade but he can't stand by and not act either. He ask Scalm, "Alright are you? The Prince of Beasts before you have seen? Ka-ka-ka, a bad feeling about this I have." He doesn't know anywhere to go for help or advise except to the temple. "Hook Hand or Boom Mage what of this you think?" Lesh has many other questions... How does Scalm see visions? Is the hospital alright? Are there many minotaur sightings in town? OOC: Does he know of a link between Baphomet and the Dead Three?

Arcana Check: [1d20+2]=7+2=9
Relgiion Check: [1d20+2]=10+2=12

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#136 Post by hedgeknight »

Scalm nods, her hands still shaking from the visions.
"I-I have had these...visions...before, but never this intense or this clear! I've never seen the face of Baphomet in my dreams or visions. Just a sense of dread and fear, bordering on panic."
Willow hands her a steaming mug of tea. "Exactly what the Lord of the Maze wants to instill. Fear. Panic. Uncertainty. He is a vile one." Willow spits on the floor as if speaking of the Horned One has left a bad taste in his mouth.
Scalm sips her tea, ignoring the scalding temperature of it. "I have a bad feeling about it too, Lesh. As for my visions...well, they often come when I meditate. The Old One I serve...speaks to me sometimes through them. But, I have not heard of any minotaur sightings in the city. Have you Willow?"
Willow shakes his head and grunts. "More likely underground than above, if any. As for the hospital, I thought ye knew: it is overrun with the dead. I fear it is no longer a place to heal the living. What do you plan to do about it, servant of Kelemvor?"
Tell wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:15 pm OOC: Does he know of a link between Baphomet and the Dead Three?
Lesh does not know of a link, if there is indeed one.
Winter is coming...

Tell
Guide
Guide

#137 Post by Tell »

As for the hospital, I thought ye knew: it is overrun with the dead. I fear it is no longer a place to heal the living. What do you plan to do about it, servant of Kelemvor?
Hearing this Lesh jumps to his feet snarling "ka-ka-ka mireda!" and heads for the door.....

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#138 Post by Spearmint »

Ambergris

"More likely underground than above, if any. As for the hospital, I thought ye knew: it is overrun with the dead. I fear it is no longer a place to heal the living. What do you plan to do about it, servant of Kelemvor?"

I want to ask why the city guards and militia are not out en masses to tackle this? Why the neighbourhood have not turned out with pitchforks and torches to quell the threat. Surely it is not something that regular folk would ignore?

"Have you got supplies that might help defeat such? Flasks of 'alchemists fire', holy water, anti-zombie bite infection salve? Come on Willow, turn out your sticks for the good of the city. You can send the invoice to Mortlock later. He owes us one "

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#139 Post by hedgeknight »

Willow gives Ambergris one of his famous squints and then yells at Lesh "not to go wandering off half-cocked!" He then says, "Aye, I have plenty of supplies. Green fire, salves for healing and such...but why would I be sending the bill to Mortlock Vanthampur? I'm assuming that be the Mortlock ye are referring to, eh?"
Winter is coming...

Tell
Guide
Guide

#140 Post by Tell »

Lesh hesitates at the door and looks to Ambergris to see his reaction. He looks over his shoulder through the door muttering and clicking but moves back inside.

Return to “Adventures in Baldur's Gate (5e)”