Oak of Rivington

hedgeknight
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Oak of Rivington

#1 Post by hedgeknight »

https://i.redd.it/3j9gruxcfae61.png
(This will really enlarge the map below.)

Oak inherited his palate from his more refined elven heritage and is enjoying his usual breakfast (or lunch?) salad -- consisting of spring greens, seared bonefish (that he caught in the Chionthar River himself earlier that morning), and sprinkled with freshly squeezed lemon juice.
The Old Mill, which has been a popular inn/tavern ever since it opened, is Oak's favorite place to eat in Rivington, and the owner Footsie Fields, is somewhat of a grandmotherly type figure for him. The bonefish is cooked to perfection and the crusty bread on the side ain't bad either.
Oak had just taken a new bite of his meal, savoring its blend of flavors, when he overheard a commotion outside, to which Footsie gave her man, a brawny fellow named Geoff, a nod to check it out. He returned a few seconds later with a puzzled expression on his broad face. "Sylmorn, the leader of the Rats, is dead. Killed by a fellow Rat named Blacktongue."

Murmurs light up the common room as folks wonder about the ramifications of the deed. Oak does his best to conceal his shock at the development and continues to patiently finish his meal (-4 sp) before nonchalantly exiting as he normally does.
Outside, the ever present smell of the river, mixed with the wood smoke from various chimneys, odors he has smelled since he was able to recognize such, greet him and keep his head straight as he watches known members of the Rivington Rats, the gang who "runs" (some say "protect) the town, scurrying around spreading the news of the death of their leader. He knows the news will reach the Guild, the overseeing force which controls all of the neighborhood kingpins. He wonders what the head of the Guild, Nine-Fingers Keene, will do about it.

One of the first people he sees is a girl, Cookie, probably one of the youngest members of the Rats. She sees him and makes a beeline for him.
Cookie.jpg
Cookie.jpg (41.35 KiB) Viewed 1128 times
"Did you hear the news, Oak?" she hisses, clearly out of breath. "Blacktongue killed Sylmorn! Just cut him down! Oh, but it was a fair fight and a vicious one! You shoulda seen it!"
Winter is coming...

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: Oak of Rivington

#2 Post by dmw71 »

Oak has always been reluctant to formally become a member of the Rats, but knows many members, some closely, and knows this is big news... if true.

Noting the normally cool Cookie seems flustered, Oak rustles her hair. "It'll be okay," he assures her. "Blacktongue, eh?" Oak repeats aloud, struggling to recall any details about the name... though, it sounds familiar.

"So, what's the plan?" he asks generally, hoping the lass will divulge the Rats' official position on the latest development.

Having a soft spot for kids, he quickly follows with: "Do you need any help?"
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by hedgeknight »

Cookie giggles and pushes Oak away, but does not straighten her ruffled (greasy) hair.
"Well, I can always eat...but right now it's almost too exciting to even think about food! Sylmorn is dead! I hated him. He beat me...a lot. He didn't like the way I talked back to him. And now, he's gonna be a snack for Ol' Cholms!"
She spits in the road and looks toward the river.
"They'll be hauling him out and weighing him down...just like he used to do to folks who got on his bad side. But I worry about Blacktongue. Sylmorn had a lot of friends in the Rats...some say..." she steps really close and tugs Oak's shirt to where he has to lean over to hear her.
"Some say his fellow...wererats...won't stand for Blacktongue. There's going to be more blood. And I know who's side - "

"Cookie! Where the hell you been?"
Cyrus.png
Cyrus.png (87.69 KiB) Viewed 1097 times

This comes from a man striding toward her. Another greasy looking fellow who's always nibbling a piece of bread or cheese...like he is now. Among the gang, he's known as 'Crying' Cyrus due to his normally incessant whine when he talks.
"Oak. How ya been?" Cyrus says, and then promptly ignores the rogue.
Cyrus then punches Cookie in the arm and she returns the favor with a kick to his shin. Cyrus curses a blue streak and says, "Blacktongue is looking for you. Wants you to go with him to do something in the Lower City. Better get your scrawny ass in gear! And if you kick me again, I'm gonna throw you in the river!"

Cookie sticks her tongue out at him and gives him the finger at the same time. She then turns back to Oak. There is a look of fear in her eyes; Oak knows, like many of the folk in Rivington, that Cookie can't swim.
"Will you come with me? Blacktongue will let you come along. Just tell him you need to go into the Lower City and give him a couple of silver. Rats love silver. Please?"

Ol' Cholms is rumored to be an ancient turtle or some creature which lives at the bottom of the river near the harbor. Straightsticks, the kingpin for the Twin Songs Faithless, claims to have suffered an injury fighting off the monster years ago and uses the broken boat oar as a walking stick to prove his claim.
Winter is coming...

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#4 Post by dmw71 »

"I actually do have business in the Lower City," Oak lies.

"Stay out of trouble," he says with an acknowledging nod in the direction of Cyrus, but immediately turns his attention back to Cookie. "Lead the way," he says, gesturing towards Wyrm's Crossing, knowing the lass won't want to take his boat across.

Oak doesn't insult Cookie by reminding her to do the same, but he keeps his eyes peeled for signs of any Crossers as they make their journey. He is pleased to hear that Cookie is excited at the change of leadership, and unsurprised at the news there may be repercussions or retaliation by those faithful to the deceased leader.

Oak proceeds at Cookie's pace and maintains a friendly banter with her as they walk, only rarely pressing her for information about her past dealings with Sylmorn and any details she may know about Blacktongue.

---

I'll pause here. Oak is prepared to pay for any tolls or "incidentals" the pair may have along the way, but I don't know if you have plans for any encounters worthy of playing out -- or, just jumping straight to the Lower City?

Potential Rolls (If Needed)
...he keeps his eyes peeled for signs of any Crossers...

...only rarely pressing her for information about her past dealings with Sylmorn...

...any details she may know about Blacktongue...
-- Project --
-- DM --

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by hedgeknight »

dmw71 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 5:09 pm "I actually do have business in the Lower City," Oak lies.

"Stay out of trouble," he says with an acknowledging nod in the direction of Cyrus, but immediately turns his attention back to Cookie. "Lead the way," he says, gesturing towards Wyrm's Crossing, knowing the lass won't want to take his boat across.
Cookie hesitates. Oak is right in assuming she won't want to take the boat, but not being a member of the Rats, he doesn't understand about being part of the gang.
"I have to go with Blacktongue! You do what your...kingpin says or you end up at the bottom of the river! I just don't want..."
She gets a look on her face of cold resignation.

"What do you really know about Blacktongue?" Oak asks, taking a chance.

"He's never been mean to me. And...he killed Sylmorn! He's the new kingpin of the Rats! And we do what he says now and Cyrus says he wants me to go with him. So, I'm going. If you're not coming with me, then go about your business in the Lower City."
She acts as if she is about to kick Oak in the shin, but then wheels and begins running toward the river, trying to catch up with Cyrus.
...any details she may know about Blacktongue...
[/spoiler]
Winter is coming...

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#6 Post by dmw71 »

"Cookie, wait..." Oak urges. "I know I don't get it, but I get it... you know?" he says, fairly certain he's not making a convincing argument. "I'll come with you to meet Blacktongue."

"It'll be good to gain an introduction to the new leader."

---

My previous plan still holds.

Oak is prepared to pay for any tolls or "incidentals" the pair may have along the way, but I don't know if you have plans for any encounters worthy of playing out -- or, just jumping straight to the Lower City?

-- Project --
-- DM --

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by hedgeknight »

Cookie stops running and turns to face you.
"You mean it? You'll come with me?"

Oak nods and follows the urchin to what is called "the Den" which is really just an old dilapidated warehouse near the river. As Cookie is about to walk through the front door, where two other members of the Rats are standing guard...well, their really just leaning up against the wall talking to one another...when the door opens and out comes Cyrus all in a huff.
He steps out of kicking range, gives Oak a look and then just shakes his head and walks away.

Cookie and Oak enter the warehouse, which smells moldy and damp, past a few other members laying around or dicing at a table, and toward the back of the place where an obvious room has been built; maybe an old office converted into a larger space.
Inside, you see Yarl, an older fellow, and a young woman. Yarl is adjusting the weapons at his belt. The older fellow...Eston, is his name, he thinks, gives him an odd look, but smiles at Cookie.
The young woman looks angry, arms crossed. "You ready?" she asks Yarl.
Then all three of them are looking at Cookie and Oak...

Continued in the "Yarl in Charge" thread...
Winter is coming...

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#8 Post by dmw71 »

hedgeknight wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 2:27 pm Oak nods and follows the urchin to what is called "the Den" which is really just an old dilapidated warehouse near the river.
Is this warehouse still in Rivington? I'm just trying to get an idea of which side of the river Oak is located.
-- Project --
-- DM --

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by hedgeknight »

Yes, still on the Rivington side of the river. Sorry if I was unclear on that ;)
Winter is coming...

Return to “Adventures in Baldur's Gate (5e)”