Pre-Game Planning Discussion

GreyWolfVT
GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

Pre-Game Planning Discussion

#1 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Yup all our PM chatter is now going to be here.

Currently we are talking settings, and the tally as it stands right now is as follows:

1.Dragonlance 3 votes
2.Dark Sun 4 votes
3.Al-Qadim 4 votes
4.Greyhawk 7 votes
5.Mystara 6 votes
6.Ravenloft 4 votes
7.Forgotten Realms 1 vote
8.Planescape 3 votes
9.Spelljammer 3 votes
10.Birthright 1 vote
Last edited by GreyWolfVT on Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Pre-Game Planning Discussion

#2 Post by Rex »

Some info on the settings for those who would like it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeons_ ... n_settings

GreyWolfVT

#3 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I was waiting for ravenn4544 to "cast his votes" but I also mentioned in the PM about how folks feel about me using less of the extra source books for character creation. The only 2 parts added were that using more sources helps casters with more spell selection. To which I am willing to open things up for that. Where things get tricky for me is when we start throwing in all sorts of odd combat tactics and things of that nature or additional playable races that are tricky to "blend in" with the group or even have NPCs accept if in an urban setting or any civilized location. Some of the time kits also add a level of confusion. I am open for further discussing of this as well.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Storm11 »

I prefer a less is more approach myself, second edition seemed to become infected with rules bloat that didn’t ever really seek to add anything valuable to me, or not valuable enough to be worth the extra effort.

Of course Dark sun will require the complete Psionics handbook and The Will and the Way as thats baked into the system. Gods forbid the revised Psionics shit is on the table.

I don’t really mind what you want to do, given it’s you at the helm and you are the one that needs to be comfortable running whatever it is that you end up doing, people can then have the choice whether it’s something they wanna be a part of or not so much. As long as you are happy with it you will more naturally be able to offer a good game I think, and then you will gather players who want to experience that particular style, which makes the whole thing more likely to succeed as a whole.

I for example, don’t like planescape or spelljammer and would want no part of those, but if you really like them and want to run them, you absolutely should, and rather than me tagging along half heartedly and not enjoying it you could get people who do enjoy these and actually want to be here and be invested in that particular game, which will make it more successful and increase the chances it will all gel.

I hope that makes some kind of sense. :)
Last edited by Storm11 on Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greys Campaign.

GreyWolfVT

#5 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Man I have never done anything with Dark Sun I hadn't realized psionics is in there.... something I have not really liked to have anything to do with. To be completely frank I was trying to get an idea of what everyone was interested and weigh the majority votes to be entirely up front and honest with the entire group currently of the top 3 choices I myself am more inclined to run Greyhawk, or Mystara.

I have always wanted to try Spelljammer as my first DM always tossed in flavors from it such as our mighty warrior having a giant mutated space hamster as their companion/steed. (but this also was back when I was ages 10-13) so back then this was overly humorous and fun. Even as an adult I find such odd sites pictured with humor a dwarf riding in on a giant hamster.

At any rate yes storm that does make sense if I understand you correctly.

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Storm11 »

See that hamster stuff makes my soul shrivel and my spirit die a little :) no offence meant.

Yep, every creature on athas has some psionic ability, most wild talents but also psionicists as well.

Psionics is awesome in second edition. In all honesty I would do away with the magic system entirely and JUST have Psionics as magic. But that’s me. Vancian magic sucks and always has IMO.

But most people loathe the Psionics rules of 1st or 2nd edition, and even when they like it there’s the Complete books version vs the Options version which is like the raging British scone war. Are you a jam first or a clotted cream first kinda guy. It’s positively fraught with danger of imminent violence :lol: :lol: :o :shock: :lol:
Greys Campaign.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Rex »

I actually like psionics and don't care to run magic-users. We used psionics quite a bit in 1E with some house rules, 2E was better in some ways but still needed house rules. As far as Dark Sun goes I have it and read it all long ago but never used it or played in a game. I agree with Storm on the most important thing being the DM needs to be comfortable and want to run the campaign. If you want to try Darksun give it a go if not stay away from it. It is certainly different.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Rex »

Here is some Dar Sun info. Definitely Psionics heavy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Sun# ... ellcasters

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Rex »

Thinking about the Kits and other splat books and I think its a good idea to limit it. The idea of having tons of variety so everybody can be happy is nice but it falls apart in the end as it never fully makes sense in anything more than a 1 off. I think once a setting is selected a good idea would then be to figure out what books/kits would fit that setting and make sense. If there are no gladiatorial arenas the gladiator kit should be available, that sort of thing. The thing I like most about 2E is the Kits, but they should be narrowed down to fit the setting and the feel the group is going for.

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Storm11 »

The DM could always just pick his favourite kits and that’s what’s available. Kits aren’t compulsory except in Al Qadim I think so no one has to have one.
Greys Campaign.

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#11 Post by spanningtree »

I agree with the wolfman concerning Greyhawk, or Mystara, easy to setup and just get running.
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin

tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#12 Post by tarlyn »

Greyhawk or Mystara are easy enough for Greywolf to set up.

If we play Mystara I've always wanted to try a Shadow Elf lol.
"I drained the soul of a monk once....... It tasted like Chocolate."

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by ravenn4544 »

With such a tie - maybe I'll sell my vote to the highest bidder? :)

I'm good with whatever really - I've never played in darksun or mystara. If it's 1e or 2e and any additional key rule mods are available I'm good. if it's Al'qaidum I may press to revive an archived character for that one.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Rex »

What we could do at this point is drop everything with less than 4 votes and re-vote, maybe with just 2 votes each. Everyone can change their vote if they want. That would narrow it down some.

RiverGreenForest
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#15 Post by RiverGreenForest »

Sorry for being inactive for so long, I had family over part of the week and weekend. I really want to try them all, so I'm in a tough position but I think I'll choose Greyhawk since it will be easier for Greywolf to setup.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by ybn1197 »

I think it should be up to Greywolf at this point. We've posted our interests but he is the one who has to carry the heaviest burden and it should be something he is interested in.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#17 Post by Scott308 »

Now that I know Dark Sun uses psionics to such an extent, I would like to withdraw my vote for it. I was never a fan of them in 1e, and while I would be interested in trying Dark Sun in a convention setting, where I am taking a character someone has already created and playing for a limited time, I would prefer to not try it in this format.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

GreyWolfVT

#18 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Alright sorry guys I took the weekend off from the forums for a bit just had a bit of me time. Anyway. I agree that we can cut out anything with less than 3 or 4 votes and I am happy to actually post a poll to have folks vote probably not for top 3 anymore the top 3 was just for me to get a scale going of what folks wanted.

I am glad to hear someone else also not in favor of Psionics Scott. I'll remove that 1 vote from you. :)

Alright I just got my 2nd vaccine shot Moderna. Was wicked busy at work today they all just came back from spring break so it was a bit nuts. Then had some DIY handyman stuff to attempt (failed) now I'm home.

For some reason I still think we didn't get a vote from one person... hmm well maybe I'm just losing it. I'm also removing my own vote for Dark Sun, I'll add a vote for GreyHawk from RGF Ravenn I'm going to count that statement as a vote for Al-Qadim. ;)

Poll is located here: viewtopic.php?f=1096&t=11009

GreyWolfVT

#19 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Well so far the poll appears to be working out. Looks like at the moment our Top vote is Greyhawk. Yes I already cast my 2 votes. Funny thing I keep forgetting Mystara is a "hollow world" probably because it hasn't mattered in the modules I've played/run so far.

RiverGreenForest
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#20 Post by RiverGreenForest »

I put my vote in, excited to play more AD&D 2E. :)

Return to “GreyWolfVT's GreyHawk Adventure (2e)”