Table #5: Sanctuary (Mayfair Games, 1982)

Grognardsw
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Table #5: Sanctuary (Mayfair Games, 1982)

#1 Post by Grognardsw »

Rules - Part One

The rules start with a short story by Robert Asprin, creator of the Thieves World series. It provides flavor and background for the game, but isn't absolutely necessary to read. If one wants to get reacquainted with Sanctuary after a 30+ year absence, this is a good way.

Part Two

The rules proper. I assume we'll play the Advanced Game, but we can confirm that choice. I think we'll need to also use Private Forums for players to keep card hands private.

There are eight pages of charts like the following showing thievery encounters. I'm not going to reproduce them here. When you roll for it, I'll show the result then.

Last edited by Grognardsw on Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: Table #5: Sanctuary (Mayfair Games, 1982)

#2 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Dang, this one looks cool, but I might need to back out.

I have a few RL things coming up in the next couple of weeks that is going to keep me away from the keyboard for a while, so I don't think this is the best time for me to start learning a new game system.

Good luck with it, though!

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Grognardsw »

Okay OM.

At the moment we have four players; the max is 6. We’ll begin this weekend after folks have a chance to read the rules.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Grognardsw »

While we read the rules, we can roll for play order and pick pieces (which I've replaced with unpainted Grenadier Gold Line miniatures circa 1980). While the rules call for rolling a d6, let's roll a d100 to eliminate the likelihood of ties/rerolls. Highest goes first and picks piece, followed by next highest roll, etc. (state figure by number from left.)

Sanctuary play order [1d100]=43

A different angle:

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#5 Post by DadsAngry »

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#6 Post by Mant72 »

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Rex »

Rex

Sanctuary play order [1d100]=90

First from left.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Grognardsw »

Okay so we have play order. Pick your figure (along with 2nd choice) and a name. I realize the mini pictures have a different line of order, so use the top picture.

1. Rex - first from left
2. Mant
3. Grog -5th from left, 6th from left, Hanse Shadowspawn
4. DA

How are things looking to start this weekend? Are folks done reading the rules?

All the cards are conveniently numbered, so we can roll to "make a draw" from the deck. If a card is held and someone rolls that same number, they'll get the next numbered card. For example, if card #10 is held by Rex and Mant rolls #10 for his draw, he'll get card #11 (or #12 if #11 is held by DA). Cards in the discard pile count in the same manner.

The rules call for most cards to be held in a private hand, so I'll create Private Forums for each player to handle that. Card deck rolls will be made in the private forum, so players can't eventually figure out who has what card based on their card hand history.

Ad from Dragon Magazine #69, Jan. 1983

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Rex »

I have read the rules and am ready to go.

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#10 Post by DadsAngry »

I'll choose #2 and #3 as an alternate - Malak

I have some rule questions:
Mugging - If both players want to mug each other does it go to the first person to post or is it a roll-off? Does it even matter? Is there an advantage to mugging as opposed to getting mugged?

Movement - A 3, 4, 5, is rolled. The player moves 2 on the 3 die and enters an adjacent area for which he has a card. They roll for the type of crime. Do they then get to finish their move of the 3 die by moving one more space and then moving either on the 4 or 5 die?

Are they still required to go into a building or location to enact the crime like the basic rules?

How are coins and caches going to be shown in our game? Can you make an example post?

Is the amount in one’s purse visible to all or just the number of coin tokens they possess like one’s cache?

Can you hire another thug if you already have one?

Does a Hellhound have to stop at the first thief they encounter or can they move past to target another thief?

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#11 Post by Mant72 »

I’ll pick 4th from the left - Airith Swain.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Grognardsw »

Work busy. Will come back later in week with ruling thoughts, etc.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Grognardsw »

Okay, we have order and play piece choie:

1. Rex - 1st from left. Name?
2. Mant -4th, Airith Swain.
3. Grog -5th, Hanse Shadowspawn
4. DA - 2nd, Malak

Here are the figures in order of the above:

If we see that the metal minis are indistinguishable in the board picture I post every turn, we’ll switch to the color pieces.

Next please roll 1d6 for your Thief card, as seen below (#1 is top left, then proceeds clockwise) In case of a tie, whoever posted the roll first wins and the other player gets the next available card in the deck. All the thieves have the same stats, so it doesn't really matter. I just realized they have names, so I suppose that would supercede our chosen names.

Grog Sanctuary thief card [1d6]=3 Hmm, that one matches the mini figure with a sling that Rex has. If you'd like this one Rex that's fine with me.

Two of these names (and maybe more?) are plays on fantasy authors of the time.

To answer DadsAngry’s questions:
DadsAngry wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:20 pm I'll choose #2 and #3 as an alternate - Malak

I have some rule questions:
Mugging - If both players want to mug each other does it go to the first person to post or is it a roll-off? Does it even matter? Is there an advantage to mugging as opposed to getting mugged?

Given we’re not real time, if both wish to mug it can be rolled for to see who goes first.

Given that if the mugger fails he in turn is mugged, in a way it doesn’t matter but if the mugger succeeds it sort of does matter. The first-mover advantage is only if you win.

Movement - A 3, 4, 5, is rolled. The player moves 2 on the 3 die and enters an adjacent area for which he has a card. They roll for the type of crime. Do they then get to finish their move of the 3 die by moving one more space and then moving either on the 4 or 5 die?

In the basic game, the movement stops when inside a building. The advanced game statement “movement is treated exactly in the same manner as in the basic game” implies one stops/ends at the adjacent space (since you don’t need to enter the building.) Page 10 also states “Rumor Results are rolled at the rnd of the movement of the thief.”

That would make for cleaner play.

If we were to go by the other way, one’s turn may sometimes be in two parts: 1) reaching the area, rolling, pausing for result by GM; 2) continuing movement toward Rumor Result building.

I think I’m leaning toward the first approach for simplicity.

Are they still required to go into a building or location to enact the crime like the basic rules?

One moves adjacent to the space, not inside.

How are coins and caches going to be shown in our game? Can you make an example post?

Caches and coins section is on p. 8. Caches are secret and will be shown in your private forum by picture.

Coins on the board (ie purse) will be face down. They will be part of the board picture. You will have them face-up in your private forum in a purse picture labeled such.

Is the amount in one’s purse visible to all or just the number of coin tokens they possess like one’s cache?

Purse coins are face down on board. For example, one could see I have four coins, but not know their values. The cache is completely private, viewable in your private forum. As GM I know, but that is unavoidable and okay as I am saintly in ethics. :)

Can you hire another thug if you already have one?

While it doesn’t explicitly state numbers, the “...player must roll a six-sided die for each thug with him” in #3 on p. 11 implies multiple. So, no limit. There are though only four thugs.

Does a Hellhound have to stop at the first thief they encounter or can they move past to target another thief?

The rule states the HH has to stop upon reaching a thief. If a space has two thieves on it, the HH (ie player) decides which thief to try and catch.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Rex »

Rex

Sanctuary thief [1d6]=2

It doesn't matter to me either way if you want to switch.

DadsAngry
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#15 Post by DadsAngry »

DA

Sanctuary thief [1d6]=2
Looks like I have the fourth card, Yang.

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#16 Post by Mant72 »

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Grognardsw »

Game Set Up

Okay, here is the player/card/figure/order line up:

I made a mistake in the figure line-up in post #13. The above is correct.

All thieves start in the Maze, with 50 silver pieces (SP) and three Rumor cards. I rolled for the Rumor cards. If there are repeats, you get the next available card. Please see your private forum for your Rumor Card hand. (Note that Rumor cards are numbered 51-102 in the lower right hand corner. As cards get removed from the deck, there are less and I count your rolled number from that smaller deck. A high number means I may go back to the beginning of the deck to continue the count.)

- Rex start Rumor Cards [1d51]=24, [1d51]=17, [1d51]=11
- Mant start Rumor Cards [1d51]=2, [1d51]=23, [1d51]=47
- Grog start Rumor Cards [1d51]=7, [1d51]=16, [1d51]=36
- Mant start Rumor Cards [1d51]=30, [1d51]=51, [1d51]=49 This is actually DadsAngry set of rolls. I put the wrong name in.

The Hellhounds are at their start spaces, marked by the little guard illustration on certain street spaces. I could only find four of the HH spaces, so I put the fifth Hellhound at the northwest gate near Street of Red Lanterns.

When you make your turn rolls, it'll be 1d6, 1d6, 1d10 for movement. Then roll 1d50 for your Event card draw, which I'll post in your private forum. Specify where you want your thief to move and with what two of the three dice. The third die is for Hellhound movement - specify which Hellhound and where he goes.

The rules and turn actions are more complex than in our other games, so it may take some getting use to. It will speed up as we get the hang of it.

The board at the start of Turn 1:

Close-ups:
The different quarters (neighborhoods) are seen here.)

The board has the neighborhoods in different shades:

Showing the cards and turned-over coin (purse) each thief has.Image

You may need to zoom in your screen to make out certain details of the board. I'll try to do close-up shots of where pieces are, but you'll also need a whole-board view to find locations of your thefts. Feel free to use the private forums to ask me questions or locations.

Turn 1

Check your private forums. Everyone make their rolls!
Last edited by Grognardsw on Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Rex »

Ter

Sanctuary 1 [1d6]=4 [1d6]=3 [1d10]=10 [1d50]=10

Uses the 4 and 3 to move to the Governor's warehouse and enter.

Use the 10 to move a guard west, then north so he is along side the maze area.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Grognardsw »

Thanks Rex.

As I think this through, due to the moving pieces we won’t be able to roll all at once as we did in past simpler games. Each player’s thief and Hellhound move could effect your decisions, so we’ll need to take it player by player.

That said, if you feel you can roll and move based on what you observe, than do so. For example, at this point for Mant he can see exactly where things are and could do rolls/moves. But for DA, he may want to wait to see where things fall when his turn comes.

I’ll take more close-ups of the board. The right half is hard to read the locations even when you zoom in max (at least on my computer.)

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Grognardsw »

Turn One - Rex Actions

Rex, your Event card roll of 10 is the "Borrow" Horse card:
As a 'Play Immediately' card, you use it now (you may not need it, but it will be discarded nonetheless.)
Keep in mind the Advanced Rules p.10. The rumor card for Governor's Warehouse indicates the West Side neighborhood (see neighborhood map spoilered below), and a Burglar type of crime. You are in that neighborhood inside the Gov. Warehouse. So you'd roll d10 for the Rumor Result chart. That will tell you where/what the theft will be. I'll roll for that now to move things along, but in the future you should.

Rex West Side theft [1d10]=4 Check your private forum for this result.

In the meantime, Mant you can roll/move. Everyone keep in mind the sequence in the rules and make appropriate rolls called for. That will speed the game along. Here is the board after Rex's move.

Close-ups and different angles of the board:

The different quarters (neighborhoods) are seen here.)

The board has the neighborhoods in different shades:

Showing the cards and turned-over coin (purse) each thief has.Image

Return to “The Old School Board Game Parlor”