Out of Game Chatter

Eris
ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Out of Game Chatter

#61 Post by ateno »

Security - Lily(Terry), ??? <---Eric, could Adrian help here?
Missed this, Adrian would happily do this.

Eric

terrymixon
Ranger
Ranger

#62 Post by terrymixon »

joertexas wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:21 pm
ateno wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:37 pm Adrian might be a bit laid back for captain, but if elected, will serve.
He has Joxe's vote :D
And my axe! Wait. Wrong movie. My vote! He has my vote!
The Spinward Main: Jack "Flighty" O'Brien, 989BB7, Merchant (3rd Officer), 4 terms, 34
Carousing-1, Computers-1, Engineering-1, Investigation-1, Jack of all Trades-3, Medicine-1, Melee Cbt-0, Navigation-1, Pilot-3, Pistol-1, Repair-1, Science-1, Steward-1, Streetwise-1, Cargo-0, Zero G-0
Benefit: 1,000 Cr, Auto Pistol, Explorer's Society (or TAS) membership.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#63 Post by Eris »

Greg is on the forum!

Go to Welcomes and Introductions and say "hi" I HOPE he'll be with us in the game shortly. I can't really add him until he makes his second post for moderation. And for form he needs to request to join the game...of course, I will! :)
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

Magdalena
Strider
Strider

#64 Post by Magdalena »

We’re ridiculously underwater here. Every road into Vancouver from the rest of Canada was severed, we just got 2 back both of which are 2 lane goat paths and 1 of them just washed out.

It is f’ing bananas, I’ll do what I can to keep current. Most of the roads have so many washed our bridges and winter’s setting in we could be months before we have anything in place…

terrymixon
Ranger
Ranger

#65 Post by terrymixon »

I've started getting some rewards and add-ons from supporting the Mongoose Traveller Journal of the Traveller's Aid Society 7-12 kickstarter. One of the add-ons I bought was the Deepnight Revelation adventure and it has me all intrigued. It would be a fun one to run, but so massive. It would litterally take lifetimes in PBeM. ;)

---

A grand 20 year campaign into deep space, commanding the exploration cruiser Deepnight Revelation.

The Deepnight Entity

It was alive when the stars were young. It saw the birth of galaxies, and it will see the death of the universe. It is growth and destruction; menace and saviour. It retreated into a prison of its own making, and there it waits. An exploration ship found the clues, and was destroyed. A researcher touched its mind, and was driven insane. What is it? We must know.

Deepnight Revelation

Deepnight Revelation, a former navy cruiser. Outfitted for the most stupendous mission in human history; a one-ship expedition along the Great Rift to the edge of the Spiral Arm. Deepnight Revelation will explore the uncharted systems along its path; contact unknown species and weather unpredictable dangers. At last we will stand before the gates to the Entity’s prison and demand entry. We will confront the Deepnight Entity and seek answers.

One Ship, Many Stories

There is a place for any Traveller aboard Deepnight Revelation; scientists and explorers, pilots and engineers, diplomats and rogues. There are mysteries to be unravelled, enemies to battle, and situations that require… unconventional… talents. The Travellers can take on any role they please, from humble research assistants to the mission’s commanders. The decisions they make will shape the course of the expedition – and perhaps the history of entire species.

Deepnight Revelation. A voyage beyond everything we know.
The Spinward Main: Jack "Flighty" O'Brien, 989BB7, Merchant (3rd Officer), 4 terms, 34
Carousing-1, Computers-1, Engineering-1, Investigation-1, Jack of all Trades-3, Medicine-1, Melee Cbt-0, Navigation-1, Pilot-3, Pistol-1, Repair-1, Science-1, Steward-1, Streetwise-1, Cargo-0, Zero G-0

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#66 Post by joertexas »

terrymixon wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:34 am I've started getting some rewards and add-ons from supporting the Mongoose Traveller Journal of the Traveller's Aid Society 7-12 kickstarter. One of the add-ons I bought was the Deepnight Revelation adventure and it has me all intrigued. It would be a fun one to run, but so massive. It would litterally take lifetimes in PBeM. ;)

---

A grand 20 year campaign into deep space, commanding the exploration cruiser Deepnight Revelation.

The Deepnight Entity

It was alive when the stars were young. It saw the birth of galaxies, and it will see the death of the universe. It is growth and destruction; menace and saviour. It retreated into a prison of its own making, and there it waits. An exploration ship found the clues, and was destroyed. A researcher touched its mind, and was driven insane. What is it? We must know.

Deepnight Revelation

Deepnight Revelation, a former navy cruiser. Outfitted for the most stupendous mission in human history; a one-ship expedition along the Great Rift to the edge of the Spiral Arm. Deepnight Revelation will explore the uncharted systems along its path; contact unknown species and weather unpredictable dangers. At last we will stand before the gates to the Entity’s prison and demand entry. We will confront the Deepnight Entity and seek answers.

One Ship, Many Stories

There is a place for any Traveller aboard Deepnight Revelation; scientists and explorers, pilots and engineers, diplomats and rogues. There are mysteries to be unravelled, enemies to battle, and situations that require… unconventional… talents. The Travellers can take on any role they please, from humble research assistants to the mission’s commanders. The decisions they make will shape the course of the expedition – and perhaps the history of entire species.

Deepnight Revelation. A voyage beyond everything we know.
Sounds interesting.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97
Slug Rifle- 3, Medicine-2, Tactics-2, Zero-G-2, Streetwise- 2

In the Marches
Zaki Shursila, 486B97, Army, Major, 3 terms, 31
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

Magdalena
Strider
Strider

#67 Post by Magdalena »

I'll be dead before that finishes off. LOL. It is an interesting premise but man, I'm thinking 20 years in game time, a week in jump you could probably cram lets say 20 to 25 jumps into a single year safely. You'd have to resupply and you'd need down time. The game could easily skip a year or better at a time just because it's boring jump / skim / jump / skim.

terrymixon
Ranger
Ranger

#68 Post by terrymixon »

Magdalena wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:45 am I'll be dead before that finishes off. LOL. It is an interesting premise but man, I'm thinking 20 years in game time, a week in jump you could probably cram lets say 20 to 25 jumps into a single year safely. You'd have to resupply and you'd need down time. The game could easily skip a year or better at a time just because it's boring jump / skim / jump / skim.
And you’re supposed to be exploring, so there will be layovers. Talk about ambitious.

Magdalena
Strider
Strider

#69 Post by Magdalena »

Merry Christmas ya'll.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#70 Post by Eris »

Magdalena wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 12:28 am Merry Christmas ya'll.
Same to you and everyone else...and a Happy New Year! Dear, me, I hope it's a better New Year than the last one.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#71 Post by Eris »

terrymixon wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:22 pm
Magdalena wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:45 am I'll be dead before that finishes off. LOL. It is an interesting premise but man, I'm thinking 20 years in game time, a week in jump you could probably cram lets say 20 to 25 jumps into a single year safely. You'd have to resupply and you'd need down time. The game could easily skip a year or better at a time just because it's boring jump / skim / jump / skim.
And you’re supposed to be exploring, so there will be layovers. Talk about ambitious.
Adventure 4: Leviathan writ large!

Have to play it as an ensemble.
  1. Command Level PC who makes big command decisions, does high level stuff.
  2. Lower Level PC who implement those decisions and has "adventures."
  3. Red Shirts, because you're going to need cannon fodder
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

terrymixon
Ranger
Ranger

#72 Post by terrymixon »

Eris wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:15 pm

Plenty of room with a crew of 500. Like I said, I like how it inspires but what a daunting campaign.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#73 Post by Eris »

terrymixon wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:12 am

Plenty of room with a crew of 500. Like I said, I like how it inspires but what a daunting campaign.
I'm not exactly sure what is BTB in the campaign you're talking about, but it occurs to me that if The Imperium (or whatever) is doing a major exploration of a large territory (Sector sized) that they would probably take a hub and spoke approach to it.

The idea would be to push a good ways into the unexplored territory with a convoy of ships and set up a base of operations (BOO) in a system, probably low tech or unoccupied and/or at a gas giant. The BOO would coordinate the exploration and serve as the supply/support hub for the exploration. I'd see several large ships with supplies, a mobile maintenance/repair yard, medical facility, science center and command headquarters. One of the ships would likely be a Battle Rider, or at least a ship carrying a number of SDB's to protect the BOO. Another one or two of the big ships would carry smaller Exploration ships. Something like 100dton Suliemans would do, but probably better armed/armored and with longer legs.

Once the BOO was set up and secured the Sulie's would be tasked with exploring out from the Hub in various directions for a dozen, or so, parsecs before returning with data for the science and command sections of the BOO. The Sulie ships, going out singularly or in pairs, would carry 4 to 6 crew doing survey, science, threat assessment and maybe first contact operations. Follow up visits from higher level Diplomats/Commanders/Merchants could attempt build on relationships the first contact crews made, but that would be later missions. There could also be "rescue/recovery" missions where Sulie's don't report back and a team is sent out to find out what happened to it. This is all reminiscent of some of the work of Poul Anderson...can't remember the series right now, but I will as soon as I post this. :)

Data and information would be shuttled back from the BOO to assets still in Imperial territory to develop further plans for exploitation (as opposed to exploration) for this new territory. I picture a fleet of Navy, Merchant, Scout ships arriving at the BOO to develop bases there and implement the exploitation plans, whether that includes conquest into the Imperium or setting up Clients would be up to the Higher Ups.

Once the BOO/Sulie's have explored a region and the Navy has secured their back, the entire convoy would push on to another area of the Sector to repeat the process.

Now, about that campaign:
I'd run a crew of PC's working out of one of those Sulies. They would have the exploration cycle as they travel out from the BOO visiting unexplored worlds, collecting data, making contacts and dealing with all sorts of strange and wonderful things. Then that would be followed by a debriefing cycle back aboard the BOO where they download what they have learned to the experts...and get into adventures during their RandR back at the BOO.

If I were writing a series of books:
I'd have characters that stay aboard the BOO and deal with Command problems, big Science/Medical problems, Threats that arise, internal (and external) Politics. I'd also have one, or more, sets of characters that crew Sulies. Actually it would be better to focus on 2 or 3 Sulie crews so throughout the series there could be competition, double-crossing and crews coming together/breaking apart.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

terrymixon
Ranger
Ranger

#74 Post by terrymixon »

Eris wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:16 pm
terrymixon wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:12 am

I'm not exactly sure what is BTB in the campaign you're talking about, but it occurs to me that if The Imperium (or whatever) is doing a major exploration of a large territory (Sector sized) that they would probably take a hub and spoke approach to it.

The idea would be to push a good ways into the unexplored territory with a convoy of ships and set up a base of operations (BOO) in a system, probably low tech or unoccupied and/or at a gas giant. The BOO would coordinate the exploration and serve as the supply/support hub for the exploration. I'd see several large ships with supplies, a mobile maintenance/repair yard, medical facility, science center and command headquarters. One of the ships would likely be a Battle Rider, or at least a ship carrying a number of SDB's to protect the BOO. Another one or two of the big ships would carry smaller Exploration ships. Something like 100dton Suliemans would do, but probably better armed/armored and with longer legs.

Once the BOO was set up and secured the Sulie's would be tasked with exploring out from the Hub in various directions for a dozen, or so, parsecs before returning with data for the science and command sections of the BOO. The Sulie ships, going out singularly or in pairs, would carry 4 to 6 crew doing survey, science, threat assessment and maybe first contact operations. Follow up visits from higher level Diplomats/Commanders/Merchants could attempt build on relationships the first contact crews made, but that would be later missions. There could also be "rescue/recovery" missions where Sulie's don't report back and a team is sent out to find out what happened to it. This is all reminiscent of some of the work of Poul Anderson...can't remember the series right now, but I will as soon as I post this. :)

Data and information would be shuttled back from the BOO to assets still in Imperial territory to develop further plans for exploitation (as opposed to exploration) for this new territory. I picture a fleet of Navy, Merchant, Scout ships arriving at the BOO to develop bases there and implement the exploitation plans, whether that includes conquest into the Imperium or setting up Clients would be up to the Higher Ups.

Once the BOO/Sulie's have explored a region and the Navy has secured their back, the entire convoy would push on to another area of the Sector to repeat the process.

Now, about that campaign:
I'd run a crew of PC's working out of one of those Sulies. They would have the exploration cycle as they travel out from the BOO visiting unexplored worlds, collecting data, making contacts and dealing with all sorts of strange and wonderful things. Then that would be followed by a debriefing cycle back aboard the BOO where they download what they have learned to the experts...and get into adventures during their RandR back at the BOO.

If I were writing a series of books:
I'd have characters that stay aboard the BOO and deal with Command problems, big Science/Medical problems, Threats that arise, internal (and external) Politics. I'd also have one, or more, sets of characters that crew Sulies. Actually it would be better to focus on 2 or 3 Sulie crews so throughout the series there could be competition, double-crossing and crews coming together/breaking apart.
BTB?

And that sounds like a great campaign. I'd write something like it if I wasn't booked until the end of time. ;)

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#75 Post by Eris »

terrymixon wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:19 am
BTB?

And that sounds like a great campaign. I'd write something like it if I wasn't booked until the end of time. ;)
BTB, in this case, was meant as By The Book. :)
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#76 Post by joertexas »

terrymixon wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:19 amAnd that sounds like a great campaign. I'd write something like it if I wasn't booked until the end of time. ;)
Glad to hear that your books are still doing well, Terry :D
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

terrymixon
Ranger
Ranger

#77 Post by terrymixon »

joertexas wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:34 pm
terrymixon wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:19 amAnd that sounds like a great campaign. I'd write something like it if I wasn't booked until the end of time. ;)
Thanks. I’ve been full time for something like seven years and I couldn’t be happier. I wish your book had done it for you. I was a terrible commenter. It was a good story.

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#78 Post by joertexas »

terrymixon wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:32 pm
Thanks. I’ve been full time for something like seven years and I couldn’t be happier. I wish your book had done it for you. I was a terrible commenter. It was a good story.
I just don't quite have what it takes to be a published author.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

terrymixon
Ranger
Ranger

#79 Post by terrymixon »

joertexas wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:35 pm
terrymixon wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:32 pm

I just don't quite have what it takes to be a published author.
I published four novels under a pen name to get feedback and I got lucky when I started under my own name. Two dozen novels later, I’m starting to feel like I know something.

bruce.desertrat
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#80 Post by bruce.desertrat »

I dug through my old old archives and found the posts about Akus' safety deposit box and the Port locker contents. I've posted the summaries in the "Background Information" section.

I had completely forgotten about some of it, like the possible user manual for the drive and the possible Ancients connection!

AFAICT, Eris we never did discuss any more info other than there were six sets of fake ID's, and IIRC, those were provided to Akus by the Mark Secret Service folks? Am I correct? I don't remember clearly, and I cannot find that info in my email archive at the moment.
Pedro "Wong Way" Wong, 98BA77,
Navy, Starman, 3 Terms, 31,
Electronics-1, Engineering-1, Gravitics-1, Grav
Vehicle-1, Pilot-2, Steward-1, Vacc-1, ZeroG-2. Benefit:
Blade.

Return to “Akus Moby (Traveller)”