2. Smears on the Turbine (action)

tibbius
tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: 2. Smears on the Turbine (action)

#121 Post by tibbius »

Conner notices a group of people gathering to watch the confrontation. A young woman with blonde dreadlocks has her phone out and appears to be recording events. "Hey!" someone shouts. "Let him get up!"
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#122 Post by shaidar »

Conner shouts back "I didn't touch the guy" he then drops his voice low "Best you back of Edward, we're getting too much attention"

He holds his hand out to help Blake up.

Edward sees the crowds and backs off of Blake

Does Conner have any idea how well spirits and recording devices mix?

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#123 Post by tibbius »

Has Conner ever tried to record Euterpe singing?

Blake ignores Conner's hand and scrambles to his feet, brushing his suit with his hands in an agitated manner. His face is flushed. "I don't know what the hell you're doing," he says quietly and fiercely, "but I've got protection." He taps the center of his chest. "Get thee behind me." He makes the sign of the cross discreetly toward Edward, then toward Conner, then turns and walks away.

Edward feels nothing from the agent's hand gestures.

Conner feels a brief faint flash of presence when Blake taps his chest. Then it's gone as the agent walks away.
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#124 Post by shaidar »

Conner silently berates himself for letting his anger get the better of himself "Dammit! I won't end up like dad. " he sighs "C'mon Compton, let's get outta here. Looks like it's just you and me. We need to talk"

I think Conner would have tried a recording early on, perhaps for some experimental new sound

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#125 Post by tibbius »

Euterpe sounded great and loud and clear in Conner's bathroom, but didn't come across as anything but very faint, distant and unintelligible in the recording on his cellphone.

So Edward gets Conner up to speed on where to find Magout, and maybe about the Glades, ... What now?
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#126 Post by shaidar »

Conner is concerned about waiting to long to act, as he has no idea what agent Blake will do, but he doesn't want to rush in without preparation. He decides to do some research on the name Magout to see if he can find anything useful.

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#127 Post by tibbius »

Random internet searching that evening turns up nothing particular related to Magout - just some old cartoons about a goofy fellow who pays no attention to anything. And videos of oobleck.

Roll for something
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#128 Post by shaidar »

Conner thinks back over his mother's lessons and the limited notes and books he inherited from his mother to note anything that might be useful

Perception: [1d8]=3
Last edited by shaidar on Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#129 Post by tibbius »

There's some kind of West African deity - Gû - the god of war? Who would be Magout?
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#130 Post by shaidar »

Conner

Seemingly out of further avenues Conner decides that he might as well bite the bullet and face Magout, so he gets Edward to take him there.

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#131 Post by tibbius »

Edward sits on the handlebar and gives directions as Conner rides. It's visually odd and a little distracting to both see him and see through him. But you make it into the brownfields and down the street to an area next to an abandoned-looking brick building. There is yellow police tape across the street side of the area, wrapped around posts and through links of a diamond-patterned chain fence. About twenty yards back from the street the tape encloses the other side of the area. There is a faded red steel door in the side of the building in the middle of the taped-off area.

The building appears silent and unlit.

"I was here a couple hours ago - I think?" says Edward. "The machines were running then. Magout was here."

What does Conner do?
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#132 Post by shaidar »

Conner looks for somewhere he can hide his bike but still have a reasonably quick getaway route.

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#133 Post by tibbius »

There's a front door to the building. It's a metal frame with a surprisingly intact glass in the upper half. The glass was once marked with a corporate logo, but that's peeled away except for a few letter fragments: "W" "AL" over "M" "ch" "g". The door is unlocked - more accurately, someone smashed out the lock, so it swings freely open. Inside is a dark lobby with a tile floor. The pattern of the floor is not evident in the dim lighting, but it's smooth and somewhat shiny.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#134 Post by shaidar »

Conner wishes he'd brought some gloves. He pushes the door open with his forearm (covered in his coat), trying to avoid leaving prints.

"Did they really move out so quickly, or is he somehow messing with my head? " he wonders to himself.

He steps about 3m into the lobby and calls out "Magout, I need to speak with you. Show yourself"

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#135 Post by tibbius »

I want a roll for that.

You've got d8 for Spirits
+d6 for rooster booster
+d6 for Edward working with you
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#136 Post by shaidar »

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#137 Post by tibbius »

There's suddenly a presence in the darkened room. A naked man, taller than Conner - Conner's head would be even with his lower ribs, if the man were standing straight, but under the low ceiling of the lobby he's hunched forward with hands on knees. His antlers scrape the ceiling. His spider mouthparts move, his spider eyes glisten like opals.

"Here I am," he mocks. "Are you happy I'm here?"

Conner, roll Tenacity - you're aided by Euterpe (d6) and the hen shaker (d6)
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#138 Post by shaidar »

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#139 Post by tibbius »

shaidar wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:51 pm Boosted Tenacity: [1d6]=2;[1d6]=2;[1d6]=5

:?
You got one 5 - best die counts.

There's a tingle and something like a motionless breeze in the room. Conner feels it wash past him, but it doesn't really soak into him the way he suspects it was meant to. Edward barely feels it; it's the same trick the bigger spirit tried earlier.

"What do you want?" Magout demands. His voice sounds angry ...

Roll Perception for Conner assisted by Edward
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#140 Post by shaidar »

Perception: [1d8]=6

OOC: I wasn't sure if it was best roll or some kind of addition. As I rolled a 6 for the perception I didn't bother to roll the Edward dice [d6] as it couldn't improve on it

Return to “New Haven? (Fair Ones)”