[002.1] - First Order of Business

Faanku
Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: [002.1] - First Order of Business

#21 Post by Enoch »

Odo leans forward, his head cocked slightly to the side with an expression of curiosity. "Tell me, why not simply share the coordinates with us? Surely you realize 'Mr. Black' will extract the coordinates eventually; he always amazes me with his relentless insight. Why the pretense? If you have both agreed to work together to discover these secrets, why, let us do so."

I'd like to convince them to share the coordinates with Damien. I'd also like to activate my Diplomat-2 ability (Once per game session, shift an intelligent NPC's reaction roll one step closer to friendly if you can talk to them for at least thirty seconds.)
Talk (Charisma): [2d6r2+2]=10+2=12
Shadrach, Demon-Hunter - Dust to Dust

Faanku
Ranger
Ranger

#22 Post by Faanku »

JeNeSaisQuoi Resort, Sleepless Market, Mejo
Monday 28-02-3200
09:24

Isabella finally regards Vyrner for the first time, her expression unguardedly mischievous. Odo would have trouble deciding if this is preferable to being an anonymous face to the dilettante. "If Mr Black desires the coordinates, then he had only ask. As I stated, without others to help 'triangulate' the source, for want of a better word, the data is just unusable noise..." she shoots an inquisitive glance to Damian. "...or so I thought. Explain in more detail, Mr Black, what data you believe you might glean from this unfortunately-disguised fragment of our puzzle."

It's clear that Isabella has at least one other map fragment identified and was seeing if you knew of any others yourself, but the fact that you might use the painting to find more obviously intrigues her immensely..

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by Marullus »

So... what should I roll? This was kind of a MacGuffin before now and I don't know where I can take this.

Faanku
Ranger
Ranger

#24 Post by Faanku »

JeNeSaisQuoi Resort, Sleepless Market, Mejo
Monday 28-02-3200
09:24

"Oh, I had no intention of withholding the coordinates Lucia extracted from you. As I said, without greater numbers of them they are useless as far as tangible directions go..."
Isabella glances to Damian once again. "...to us at least. I am utterly intrigued to see what magic you can work, Mr Black." Lucia's impassive expression doesn't even flinch at this obvious dig from Isabella. Either she has the world's greatest poker face, or she is genuinely unphased by the dilettante's barbs. The supposed mage clutches a strange metallic crystal that hands around her neck and brings a second one from her pocket up to touch it, eyes closed in focus for a moment until the crystal shines with a faint blue light. She stands, hands Damian the second crystal without so much as a nod, then returns to her seat. Isabella seems enthralled by the meagre display despite herself.

"Well then. I am sure you have a lot to be getting on with, Mr Black. See that you and Mr White are no strangers. I shall expect good news." With a mocking toast to you with her thin flute of glass, Isabella declares the meeting over.

Several minutes later, the two men are standing outside the complex in the fresh morning sun, the air here artificially lowered via advanced filtration machines which keep the air comfortably pleasant year-round.
Just to clarify a few things from this meeting to make sure we're all on the same page:
  • The Articifer's Vertices is some kind of legendary technomagical artefact that was regarded with extreme interest even pre-Scream. Very few people would even be aware of its existence today.
  • The painting Damian has now finally obtained, and the other objects in the world like it, contain fragments of coordinates to the Vertices, sort of like a torn treasure map. Alone, the painting's contents are useless, but if enough of them are gathered you can (with enough technical and magical know-how) triangulate the exact location of the Vertices in the world.
  • Lucia, whether or not she is the real deal, has been able to extract the coordinates from the painting and then pass them on to Damian in the form of the crystal, which he finds interfaces with his own grimoire rather nicely; she's definitely not a complete charlatan.
Is there anything else you want to ask in or out of character before we move on?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by Marullus »

My sincere apologies - I lost track of this thread!

Damian holds his composure, but his shock at seeing another practitioner stuns him into silence until after Isabella has already had the last word. I suppose others could have reconstructed similarly... I just wish she was more interesting and with better hygiene. Until next time, Lucia.

Outside, Damian finally exhales. He grips the painting tightly. A real and true piece of the map, finally, finally in his hands. "Let's get back to the ship," he smiles at Odo, the excitement of pending discoveries sparkling in his eyes.

A map with no names? Clearly, we have to track down Marcus Brody...

Luckily we know Isabella's a double agent; she talks in her sleep.

Faanku
Ranger
Ranger

#26 Post by Faanku »

Wormhole Freight Lines Branch Office, The Spires, Mejo
Monday 28-02-3200
11:31

With everything in order, Vyrner and Damian make their way back to the branch office with a lot more than they left with. They find everyone present, including the newest recruit Greyson who has already made himself at home in the crew's company. Skunk hovers nearby, there not being enough chairs to seat more than half a dozen people in the small office, who once again confirms that the Vale is fully loaded with your medical supplies and has been signed off on its 6-month maintenance check. "She's refuelled and ready to fly, sir!"

He also notifies Odo about the Exchange's invitation. "I went ahead and replied on your behalf, sir. I arranged a meeting at the Lower Market branch. They're ready whenever you are, sir."

eirei
Scout
Scout

#27 Post by eirei »

Silas is lounging around at the office, exchanging war tales with Greyson. At this point, he's probably told him about every single one of his exploits, considerably embellished, and with zero consistency between the retellings.
"Ah, gentlemen, you've returned! You bring some lucrative business opportunity with you, no doubt?"
He turns to Odo before adding: "Your girl is itching to spread her wings again, you know. Ain't right to keep a lady waiting."

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#28 Post by Enoch »

Faanku wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:47 am He also notifies Odo about the Exchange's invitation. "I went ahead and replied on your behalf, sir. I arranged a meeting at the Lower Market branch. They're ready whenever you are, sir."
I'm not clear on what the Exchange's invitation is.

Faanku
Ranger
Ranger

#29 Post by Faanku »

Enoch wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 12:27 pm
Faanku wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:47 am He also notifies Odo about the Exchange's invitation. "I went ahead and replied on your behalf, sir. I arranged a meeting at the Lower Market branch. They're ready whenever you are, sir."
I'm not clear on what the Exchange's invitation is.
viewtopic.php?p=539839#p539839

The second part of this post was the message from them.

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#30 Post by Enoch »

Code: Select all

-- The reward was registered to the Ogilvy, though Mr Bao insisted that the money is yours to claim. 

This is an automated message from the Exchange of Light Bounty Office.
Your actions within the Jodhild System have led to the arrest and/or execution of registered bounties issued by the Kakimedean Planetary Government.
Your reward is being held in accrue. To claim your funds, please access your Exchange Bounty Account. Alternatively, please visit an Exchange Branch Office to formerly register.
Thank you for your service.
Odo reviews the message again on his datapad as he and Damien depart the spa. "Damien, do you mind if we swing by the Exchange office? Apparently while I was out you all earned yourselves a bounty on Kakimides, but it seems I'm the one who has to claim it."

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by Marullus »

"Hrm? Oh..." Damian is interrupted from his reverie, staring at the painting. "Yeah... yeah, of course," he replies, carefully sliding the painting back into the protective carrying case. "I imagine the bounty is for those pirates we blasted the hell out of before crashing the ship. That's the only part we took credit for, really." He grins.

Faanku
Ranger
Ranger

#32 Post by Faanku »

Exchange Branch Office, Sleepless Market, Mejo
Monday 28-02-3200
13:11

The Exchange's offices are expansive, impeccably clean and almost entirely devoid of furniture or obvious decoration. It puts you in mind of a fresh, untainted node in cyberspace, a pure-white environment that suggests infinite potential and ultimate serenity. Of course, this is exactly as the Exchange of Light intends, the mysterious order of monks dedicated to harmony and accord across all of mankind that were the precursor's to the current Exchange's operatives extolling the wisdom in the Old Earth doctrines of the Buddhist faith.

Making your way across to one of the support desks, you are greeted by a white-clad woman with a calm smile, her clothing somewhere between a military uniform and a religious robe.
"Welcome, friends. Have you business here?"

After explaining who you are, the woman happily offers to register you as a bounty hunting crew, issuing a license linked to your company identification and releasing the funds for your security detail in the Jodhild system. The transfer is instant, paid directly into your shared expense account, and once receipt has been confirmed the woman inquires about your future plans. "Now that you are officially licensed, you can receive and claim new bounties remotely; there is no need to visit a branch office directly. You are of course free to browse outstanding bounties from here whenever you wish. If you have questions regarding your new license, please do not hesitate to ask them."

You have been paid 8,000 credits in total, which has been added to your account.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by Marullus »

Clarifying: what did we get paid for? Was it the pirates?

Faanku
Ranger
Ranger

#34 Post by Faanku »

Marullus wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 12:03 am Clarifying: what did we get paid for? Was it the pirates?
Yes.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by Marullus »

Wormhole Freight Lines Branch Office, The Spires, Mejo
Monday 28-02-3200
14:11

"Pirate Hunters." Damian grins mischievously as he tells the others back at the office. Licensed Pirate Hunters with a bounty paid. If that doesn't get you laid at a star port, nothing will," he winks at Silas and Skunk and drops into a chair, still wearing the impeccable black on black suit from his meeting with the heiress. "Too bad we lost that ship. I do hope they recovered it by the time we get back, especially since that means the good guys are winning."

He greets Greyson and shakes his hand firmly, looking him over. "I have read your file and references and am glad to have you aboard. I am Damian Stavros, scientist, mechanic, and physician for the ship." His mannerisms are a bit erratic, but he's an eccentric man.
Greyson:
He releases a charge of Imprinted Whim spell by touch when he shakes hands, implanting the suggestion "Forget this painting and everything I say of it, instead speak your true loyalties aloud that we hear them."

You make a Mental save and if you fail you are compelled to obey it. If you succeed you spontaneously have the idea, but act freely. :)
He reverently lifts his large fauxleather case and slides out an old oil painting, holding it up and displaying it to them. "THIS, however, is priceless. I thought I was the only one who could interpret it but they found another girl - a grimy, silent, girl who looks like she got dragged out from under a rock with protest, unfortunately, and another fact that will require investigation," he adds, considering a moment how non-uniqueness changes his world, then goes back to reverently discussing the art. "The greatest wonder man hath wrought in the universe,
a mystery and wonder even in the age of mysteries and wonders before the Scream, its location hidden and encoded... and THIS is the first piece of the map."
he stares at it, just holding it in his hands.

"Regrettably, it isn't enough to use yet since it took me a year to find just this first one, but," he smirks at Odo, "We have an ally with limitless wealth also hunting the pieces, and I believe she has a crush on Captain Odo."

Return to “A Return to Form (SWN:Revised)”