Chapter 1: Prudence

Marullus
redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Chapter 1: Prudence

#261 Post by redwarrior »

Hansel wearily gets up to let the doctor take over and locates the sink, starting to wash blood that he can from his hands. Thank you, Miss Talina, it feels good to get my good deed of the year out of the way early. Miss Zoe, I'm glad to see that you're doing well, I was rather worried when we parted company last night. After washing his hands, he'll look around for a bottle to fill his flask from. So.... WereWolves? Someone want to tell me about WereWolves? That seems like something worth knowing about? he asks, peeking carefully out into the street.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#262 Post by jemmus »

Taavi also washes the blood from his hands and rinses his handkerchief and the ends of his sleeves. "The bartender will live," he thinks. "The only good thing in this town so far." Mr. Mirko here told me yesterday that Hrsak and his family are werewolves. Apparently they didn't harm the people here. But we all know what happened here yesterday, and now a child or children missing in Windfall? After Teo Hrsak was already dead? So, the perpetrator is another Hrsak or Hrsaks, and at large? But the mob came after the sheriff because he was close to Teo. Rather than going after the Hrsaks. There must be a reason.

And then there's the fact that the sheriff released both of you. Do you have any idea why? The bounty reward is not insignificant. Normally the prospect of financial gain motivates people to certain behaviors. Here, the opposite seems to have happened with the sheriff. There are some things about Prudence that are hard to explain. Do any of you have any thoughts?

He wishes the judge were in a more lucid state. But she isn't, that he can tell.
PCs

Dust to Dust (Stars Without Number) - Circuit Counsel Taavi Perttu
Big Shiny Island (AD&D 1E) - Theo, low charisma ranger
Samurai Adventures (Cold Iron) - Kiyoshi, ronin bushi
WW2 Supers d6 - Luther "Luke" Goodfox

redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#263 Post by redwarrior »

Hansel The sheriff went into a little closet and seemed to be listening to the radio, then he just came out and said that no charges had been filed, so we were free to be on our way. I was looking for the judge, because I don't want to be labelled a fugitive when.. Waves his hands around. And that's pretty much what I know. The sheriff seemed a decent enough fellow, as far as I could tell.

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#264 Post by cybersavant »

Báleygr Gangleri "Werewolves? What are you talking about? Who's shooting out on the street? What's going on?"
gaming since 1980
cybersavant.proboards.com
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
Andreas Larson; Law of the Gun <Boot Hill 3e>
Nah Olos; Earthquakes in the Jotens <AD&D 1e>
Rorexsth; Wayfarers <Doctor Who>

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#265 Post by Enoch »

Shadrach sniffs at the air, tilting his head back in an almost animalistic fashion. "Smoke. Somebody's fired the church. We need to get out of here, Sister." He gestures for her to wait a moment despite the danger, slinging his rifle on his shoulder and hurrying to the docent, whose body he slings over his other shoulder. He nods to the nun. "Stay behind me. If they shoot, better I take the bullets than you."

He climbs the stairs as quickly as he can with his burden.
Shadrach, Demon-Hunter - Dust to Dust

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#266 Post by Marullus »

Outside the Church...
greyarea wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 11:12 pm Come with me, Anja, growls Emile as he races into the church. We have to right something seriously wrong, I fear.
Enoch wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 3:06 pm Shadrach sniffs at the air, tilting his head back in an almost animalistic fashion. "Smoke. Somebody's fired the church. We need to get out of here, Sister." He gestures for her to wait a moment despite the danger, slinging his rifle on his shoulder and hurrying to the docent, whose body he slings over his other shoulder. He nods to the nun. "Stay behind me. If they shoot, better I take the bullets than you."

He climbs the stairs as quickly as he can with his burden.
Emile corrals the shaken Sister Anja, motivating her to re-enter the church begrudgingly as flames lick up the front façade and run across the roof, the side and rear fully engulfed. He meets Shadrach as he's coming out the front door, however - the old soldier bare-chested with a young woman slung over one shoulder and combat rifle over the other, Sister Amalia and a hound-like creature of shadow shortly behind. A section of the rear church collapses, sending up a cascade of sparks and wooosh of flames. Anja looks on with rapt heartbreak, her hands covering her mouth.

Turning to see Main Street, they see the farmers still guarding the Sheriff's Office and also Taavi scooting around the corner of the Saloon with Doc Volokh in tow, heading towards the kitchen door.

That resolves all urgent combat-time. You can all engage in freeform roleplay until you arrive at actions or NPC interactions. Those in the street can join the ongoing discussions in the kitchen or continue a seperate scene outside.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#267 Post by jemmus »

Taavi says, Judge Bunt, let's go back to the boarding house and have breakfast. One death and one near-death, and nobody has had their coffee yet. Talina, Hansel, would you like to join us? He would invite Zoe, but she's busy with Mirko and the saloon. As they reach Main Street, he sees the church going up in flames. Part of the roof collapses and there's a shower of sparks. "Oh great. Add a burnt-down church to the list. Don't see that I can do anything to help with that situation." He leads the judge to the boarding house.
PCs

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#268 Post by Enoch »

Shadrach stumbles out of the blazing church, half-shoving the holy woman before him. He gently lowers the docent's body to the ground and is racked with a short coughing fit.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#269 Post by Marullus »

*Bump*

Hansel, Taavi, Báleygr, and Talina discuss together the unrest and accusations of Vukodlak - werewolves - being involved. Lira watches the lights on her communicator, standing against the wall quietly. Doc Volokh takes over the care of Mirko with the assistance of Zoe; the old doctor seems a bit more flushed, but confident.
Wisdom+skill, diff 6, will recognize the hidden affection Doc Volokh conceals for Zoe, even as she doesn't recognize it.
With the kitchen now being an infirmary, breakfast at the saloon seems less likely. Taavi heads out the kitchen side-door to take Lira back to the boarding house to eat. (For scene continuation, I'm fine with anyone else going with them.)

On Main Street, you see the farmers guarding the Sheriff's Office, others within. The Church is engulfed in flames - The townsfolk now are stirring out of their homes, working bucket brigades to soak the adjoining buildings to stop the fire's spread, but recognizing the church as a lost cause. The body of Sheriff Skender lies face-down and ignored, tossed onto the street.

As Taavi and whomever is with him approach the church enroute to the boarding house, they also see Anja watching with abject horror as the church burns, Emile standing with her, Shadrach emerging half-naked and soot-stained from the church carrying the body of a young girl and with Amalia at his side. Shadrach lowers the body to the ground and steps aside, wracked with a coughing fit from the smoke.

Emile, Shadrach, and Amalia see Taavi and Lira approaching, heading towards the boarding house. (plus, others if they say so.) "Oh heavens, bring 'em in, bring 'em in..." clucks Anica, proprietor of the Boarding House, as she stands on the porch, speaking to you all.

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#270 Post by greyarea »

Emile assists the smoking Shadrach with the young girl, saying, Taking your name a bit to literally there, I’d say. Anyone else inside?

After they get to safety he will inquire of the handmaiden, hoping Shadrach or Amalia have some idea what the blazes that was.

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#271 Post by cybersavant »

Báleygr Gangleri stays in the kitchen, out of the way. "Seems safer inside that outside right now."
gaming since 1980
cybersavant.proboards.com
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
Andreas Larson; Law of the Gun <Boot Hill 3e>
Nah Olos; Earthquakes in the Jotens <AD&D 1e>
Rorexsth; Wayfarers <Doctor Who>

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#272 Post by Enoch »

"Taking my name- huh." Shadrach starts to laugh, but it turns into a sooty cough as he shakes his head.

redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#273 Post by redwarrior »

Hansel turns once more Miss Zoe, will you be ok if I leave? Please give some consideration to my offer to accompany me when I leave this place. I fear that even if you are fine for now, such may not be the case, given your ... abilities, should you stay. Assuming she says something along the lines of she's "fine". Hansel then tells her that he's headed to the boarding house and accompanies the judge and the lawyer on their way, and Talina, if she is coming, as well. That Baleygr fellow may have the right of it, but there's still unfinished business with the judge... maybe. And he really wants to know about the werewolves...

He whistles as he sees the church in flames Just yesterday, this seemed like such a quiet town. Seems that religion is a hot topic here. Seeing the sheriff's body in the street, he alters his path to angle over to the sheriff. Checking the body over quickly, he'll palm the sheriff's badge, if present, and the gun/gunbelt if worn. Finally, he'll give the body the once over for anything that stands out as odd. other than the fact that he's dead!
Notice [3d6c1+1]=6+1=7

Rising to his feet, he'll trot to catch up with the group. To Anica, as he enters the boarding house, Thank you ma'am. Might I trouble you for a cup of coffee? It's been quite the morning already, and the sun is barely up.
Looks around to get the lay of the land.

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#274 Post by Enoch »

Seeing Anja standing in the road and staring at the Church, Shadrach limps over. "We have some talking to do," he says quietly, "you, me, and Sister Amalia. There's a whole lot of ugly in this town, and I suspect you and Hrask are only the tip of it. Why don't we head over to the boarding house over yonder, find ourselves a table, and have ourselves a little palaver?"

He sets off in that direction without looking back to see if she follows.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#275 Post by Marullus »

[Redone below with more information]
Last edited by Marullus on Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Craigers07
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#276 Post by Craigers07 »

Talina acknowledges the thanks from Doc Volokh and Hansel after cleaning up from reviving the patient.

"I was the most surprised when the sheriff released us. I had no idea why, but I didn't want to ask too many questions and
left the Sheriff's office as soon as I could."

"I would be happy to join everyone for breakfast this morning."

She heads over to the boarding house to eat breakfast with Taavi and the others.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#277 Post by Marullus »

Ambiance: Short Change Hero

In the Saloon Kitchen...
Báleygr remains in the Saloon's kitchen, where Mirko is being tended by Doc Volokh and Zoe. From his vantage at the corner window, he can see the sheriff dead in the street, matters being handled at the sheriff's office, and the roaring blaze of the church, bits of the roof collapsing in a spray of sparks. Zoe whispers to the doctor about Hansel's offer to help them travel. "Where you going next?" asks Doc Volokh after watching the plain-faced man for a while.

Out on Main Street...
Hansel isn't bothered by anyone as he checks the Sheriff's body. He palms the tin star off the man's vest and takes the six shooter from his holster. His rifle lies on the porch, near the guarding farmer's feet. The three farmers on the porch watch, but say nothing. He doesn't find anything strange about the body - he took a number of rifle slugs to the chest, enough for most anyone to die instantly. He didn't have a lot on him but does have a printed photo of a young raven-haired maiden, clearly worn with age.

Gathering at Anica's Boarding House...
Taavi and Lira have breakfast waiting for them; Emile also follows them to safety and Hansel asks for a cup of coffee. Shortly behind come Shadrach and Amalia, also guests with seats set, Anja coming anxiously, tearing herself from the carnage of the church to remain filial to Amalia's role. Anica bustles, setting seats for everyone. "Now, now... quite the morning for everyone and I'd rather people eating breakfast than finding more trouble... sit down, sit down..." Soon a family-style meal with large bowls of scrambled eggs, rashers of bacon, and trays mounted with pastries and steaming-hot biscuts are within reach of all plates. There is a normalcy in the sound of plates and silverware for a few minutes before conversation begins again...
Please continue your player-talk as a group as much as you need. I'll cue-up the next bit below.

The bowls of eggs sit empty and breakfast begins to wind down, Anja poking listlessly at her uneaten food next to Shadrach. Heavy boots thump on the porch and a tired-looking Deputy Karlo removes his hat and nods politely to Anica as he comes through the front door. The late-teen looks exhausted, soot darkening the thin facial hair on his lip, making it noticable. "Morning, all," he says, accepting Anica's offer of a cup of coffee and a chair at the end of the table. "It's... a bit of a mess out there," he comments lamely. "Sorry you all were party to it."

He stirs several spoonfuls of sugar into his cup and a glug of creamer, sipping it again after. "I... well, I need to hear what you all know about what happened. It's going to be a bit, cleaning it up. Particularly," he looks to Shadrach, Amalia, and Anja, "what happened inside that church. The folks outside have some wild stories."

He stares down at the cup, swirling it in his hand. "Also.... it seems Goran knew quite a bit about the kidnappings at Windfall, along with Hrsak's group and their... activities, that he never let on. I..." he trails off and sighs. Anja draws quietly inward, staring absently at her folded hands in her lap. "Well, I have a mess. I've got to put order back in place here, and to do that, I need to reassure the town that proper folks are handling the information about Hrsak's gang and the missing Windfall kids so that this mob doesn't go seeking retribution there themselves." He looks to Judge Lira Bunt, the pleading hope on his young face unable to be concealed. "I'd appreciate the help, ma'am, and if you could deputize Marshalls to address it as a regional issue, that'd help me with the town. It's not just Hrsak. He's part of a group that call themselves Sons of Vukodlak, and they're up to more than we realized, and more than really we understand, to be honest."

Having had a solid breakfast and time to compose herself, Lira sits up straighter and nods in reassurance to the young now-Sheriff. "I'd be glad to help you, Karlo," she nods, sliding her communicator from her lap into her satchel. "If you have a gang kidnapping and murdering both here and in Windfall, I'd say both they and their base of operations out in the badlands are properly a Greater Kumekhna issue. I'll gladly deputize Marshalls to handle it, and help you prepare court here for their return." She looks at the capable outsiders around the table. "I can authorize payment for services rendered from the Regional Government when you get back."

OOC:
Faraday and Lira Bunt can remain here to help in Prudence since their players are still absent. Lira's presence as an NPC still establishes the justification for you to operate as Marshalls and frees up Taavi to help represent on the Marshall team while she remains behind. If shroomofinsanity or Mister-Kent are able to return and resume, I'll work a way to add them back in. Hoping they're both well.

You can talk IC and get further responses from Anica, Anja, or Karlo, who are in the room with you. If you want to go and do any fact-finding elsewhere in town still, that also is fine and can be handled on this thread.

Once you've talked things out here, I'll initiate Chapter 2 for heading into the Badlands.
Rolls:

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#278 Post by greyarea »

Emile watches and listens, letting the situation settle into his bones.

redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#279 Post by redwarrior »

Hansel listens carefully and then leans forward.... Well... Sheriff Karlo, I figure this belongs to you now... I palmed his pistol as well, seemed better than leaving it in the street. I'd like to hold onto that, if I may. If I'm going to be an upstanding enforcer of the laws, it seems to me that more guns are better than fewer guns... He nods to the Judge I'll ride with you, your honor, being without immediate plans as I am , turning back to the brand-new sheriff, he pulls out the picture and slides it towards him. By any chance, do you know who this lady may be. Judging by the wear, it's been a while and it was important to the late sheriff. He leans back to listen and learn what he can and quietly mumbles to his second cup of coffee MARSHALL Shatner, well that's a bit unexpected...

Talk roll if needed to determine Karlo's reaction
Talk [2d6+1]=8+1=9

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#280 Post by jemmus »

Taavi is pleased to be in the company of calm, rational people. He's also pleased to see the judge back in form again. Serving as both a marshal and a defender/prosecutor would be pretty irregular. All kinds of conflicts of interest and legal ethics considerations involved. But we're not in the city with separate law enforcement and judicial departments, are we? I'll be happy to serve as a marshal, if it will help Sheriff Karlo restore order.

Sheriff, I was told that the Hrsaks are werewolves. What do you know of werewolves? The legends say they transform into wolves on full moon nights, and that they can only be killed by silver. Teo Hrsak did take several gunshot wounds and that would seem to have killed an ordinary person. It was a psychic... or magical?... power that finally killed him. Can you tell us what you know of werewolves in general? And about these Sons of Vukodlak?
PCs

Return to “Dust to Dust (SWN)”