Mind Meld (Inspirations)

Grognardsw
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Mind Meld (Inspirations)

#1 Post by Grognardsw »

Mind Meld (Inspirations)

Occasionally I’ll draw ideas and in some cases text from SF authors (citing the post # and source here, though sometimes later so as to not provide spoilers.)

What is everyone reading or watching?

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

Re: Mind Meld (Inspirations)

#2 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Reading currently: Dragonlance Time of the Twins (about halfway through the book)

Watching: too many things but recently catching up on S.W.A.T. (series) also almost done with Supernatural finally up to season 13.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Starbeard »

I mentioned this one in the OOC thread, but if any of you haven't yet watched The Vast of Night, you really ought to! It's from a year or two ago, a fairly short movie presented as if it were an episode of an Outer Limits style anthology show. Worth the watch.

Last edited by Starbeard on Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Bluehorse »

Been reading Jim Butcher's the Dresden Files lately. I am really enjoying it. This is the literary equivalent of a popcorn flick to me. They are just fun to read and I love that he pulls so much from mythology and mixes it with the modern day. It is just a fun combination. About to finish Book 4 now.
jb.PNG
jb.PNG (775.74 KiB) Viewed 738 times
As far as SciFi itself, I have been rewatching Star Trek TNG. Will likely switch off to Voyager after that. And I am ALWAYS watching Star Wars related stuff since I have raised my boys watching that franchise. Currently, we are all enjoying the Mandolorian, so it is nice to watch something as a family.

I'm excited about the new Ghostbusters Afterlife if we ever get to see it. I think we are on delay 4 or 5 now that it is scheduled for November. Also anticipating the new Dragonlance novels getting put out :) I know some of this is not exactly SF but I always thought of Fantasy and SciFi being fraternal twins of sorts.

GreyWolfVT

#5 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Lets see I was watching all the episodes of The Boys, Twilight Zone (revived version), Upload, TWD, FTWD, THe new Walking Dead spin-off, Mandalorian, & Wandavision. Back around the holidays I re-watched all Star Wars movies (even the bad ones) in chronological order. As well as watched all Marvel movies in chronological order.

Last two or so years have been reading Dragonlance novels and some of the Ravenloft ones.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

DexterWard
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#6 Post by DexterWard »

Reading List:
  • Most Recent Reads:
    • Evan Currie: Into the Black - Odyssey One
    • John Jackson Miller: Overdraft
    • Algernon Blackwood: The Willows
  • Currently Reading:
    • Becky Chambers: The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet
    • Alexander Macris: Arbiter of Worlds
    • Weird Tales Collection Vol.1 No.1 March 1923
  • Up Next:
    • Renegade Swords - Selection of Swords & Sorcery
    • Evan Currie: The Heart of Matter - Odyssey One
    • Deborah Jackson: Ice Tomb
Watching Currently: The Expanse, Tales from the Loop
Recent Watches: The Thaw, The Last Days on Mars, The Magicians
Last edited by DexterWard on Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

DexterWard
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#7 Post by DexterWard »

Bluehorse wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:25 pm Been reading Jim Butcher's the Dresden Files lately. I am really enjoying it. This is the literary equivalent of a popcorn flick to me. They are just fun to read and I love that he pulls so much from mythology and mixes it with the modern day. It is just a fun combination. About to finish Book 4 now.

As far as SciFi itself, I have been rewatching Star Trek TNG. Will likely switch off to Voyager after that. And I am ALWAYS watching Star Wars related stuff since I have raised my boys watching that franchise. Currently, we are all enjoying the Mandolorian, so it is nice to watch something as a family.

I'm excited about the new Ghostbusters Afterlife if we ever get to see it. I think we are on delay 4 or 5 now that it is scheduled for November. Also anticipating the new Dragonlance novels getting put out :) I know some of this is not exactly SF but I always thought of Fantasy and SciFi being fraternal twins of sorts.
I have not heard of Jim Butcher. Looks interesting. May have to add that to my reading list. Also love the Dragon Lance books (as well as the D&D setting), but did not know there was a new one coming out!! That's exciting.. Also excited about Ghostbusters Afterlife. :)

DexterWard
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#8 Post by DexterWard »

Starbeard wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:09 pm I mentioned this one in the OOC thread, but if any of you haven't yet watched The Vast of Night, you really ought to! It's from a year or two ago, a fairly short movie presented as if it were an episode of an Outer Limits style anthology show. Worth the watch.
That sounds interesting. I will check that out. I really like the old Outer Limits TV series.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Grognardsw »

That it an eclectic reading list DW!

Refusing to pay for still more TV, I haven't subscribed to Disney+ or CBS or Hulu. Though I have seen ST Discovery and Hand Maiden's Tale on DVD through the library. Someday the Mandalorian...

I enjoyed Simon Stalenhag's books and the Tales from the Loop show. The tone (almost melancholy) and handling of pictures to TV was well done. I hope they produce more but read that it's unlikely.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Grognardsw »

Inspiration Note

Galgatha paragraph in The Apogee of Memory post #1 from Robert Silverberg's "The Travelers," Amazing Stories, Summer, 1999, #597.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Grognardsw »

There is a new indie documentary on Hugo Gernsback, the founder of the first SF pulp Amazing Stories among others. I haven't seen it yet but will.

Trailer: https://vimeo.com/391517309

Promo material:
Inventing The Future is a documentary which explores how thinking about tomorrow became a pop-culture phenomenon called Science Fiction. Despite rich and varied origins, there is one name which can be credited with single-handedly shaping the way we understand science fiction today as a genre. It was Hugo Gernsback who stuck his hand into the soup of early 20th century pulp literature and fished out science fiction - giving it its name and a clear definition, turning it into a genre that anyone could engage with. His goal was to inspire and to stimulate young minds into speculating about how science would shape our future and to come up with tomorrow's new inventions. In the process, he created science fiction. The fan community growing around the genre turns science fiction into a cultural movement and keeps it in constant evolution, each generation adapting it to current scientific progress, but also to the hopes and fears of its time. Guided by authors, historians, filmmakers, astronomers and rocket scientists, Inventing The Future weaves together interviews, animation and pop-culture references to take the viewer on a fascinating and entertaining journey to witness this evolution. But also to discover that the way we tell stories about tomorrow really reveals more about ourselves today than about the future.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Grognardsw »

Inspiration Note

The title of Robert Drummond’s thread, The Gernsback Continuum, is named after the William Gibson short story that first appeared in the collection Burning Chrome. It shares only the name, not the plot, though all my titles hint at something.

In the Thayilli thread, the poetry in post #1 is from Dragonflight by Anne McCaffrey. The Arolos Weyr maps I came across at http://www.arolosweyr.co.uk

In The Genetics of Profit, post #16 planet report data from The Chronicles of Pern: First Fall, by Anne McCaffrey.

There are others but to name them now may spoil things.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Grognardsw »

Inspiration Notes

1. In Apogee of Memory, the spoilered text in post #27 and dream text in #29 is from The Moon and Serpent Grand Egyptian Theatre of Marvels, by Alan Moore, 1996. It is a spoken word performance.

2. In The God Conscience, post #2, the syncretic philosophy is drawn from the real life syncretic belief.
Last edited by Grognardsw on Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Grognardsw wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:45 pm Inspiration Notes
2. In The God Conscience, post #1, the syncretic philosophy is drawn from the real life syncretic belief.
In that case the numbering is incorrect..."It is all one".

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Grognardsw »

:D

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Grognardsw »

Continuing to inspire generations

May the 4th be with you.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by jemmus »

I read one of the Jim Butcher novels. It literally was like watching a movie. Lots of great ideas in the one I read.

Currently reading the draft of an upbeat paranormal space opera novel by my friend Stephen Di Marino. The book has already been accepted for publication, based on the completed first half of it. Steve became friends playing one of the first online multiplayer games (Hundred Years War) back in 2005. He's a manager of a big hardware store, a dad, and a husband caring for a now-disabled wife. Where he finds time and energy to write, I don't know, but he's been published in at least four short story anthologies. https://www.amazon.com/Stephen-De-Marin ... scns_share I'm proud to have been his proofreader, commenter, and encourager way back when he was playing around with his first short stories.
PCs

Dust to Dust (Stars Without Number) - Circuit Counsel Taavi Perttu
Big Shiny Island (AD&D 1E) - Theo, low charisma ranger
Samurai Adventures (Cold Iron) - Kiyoshi, ronin bushi
WW2 Supers d6 - Luther "Luke" Goodfox

GreyWolfVT

#19 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Grognardsw »

I have seen Jim Butcher books on the shelves but never read him. They look intriguing.

That’s neat Jemmus to know an author in his ascent.

Greywolf, I’m almost ashamed to not recognize your picture. I’d guess Firefly, as the guy on the right looks vaguely familiar.

At the moment, I finished my run of Silverberg short stories and am reading The Phantom Tollbooth, a youth book but well regarded for its word play; Anthem: Rush in the Seventies; and issues of Kamandi: Last Boy on Earth, a post-apocalyptic mid-70s DC comic by Jack Kirby. I usually have a fiction, non-fiction and comic going at the same time. I’ve been viewing a lot of SF art on Tumblr, which I recently discovered (yes, late I know). One can see endless streams of art by keyword and when aircast onto a 65” TV its more interesting than most TV. I’m watching Seinfeld as my daughter has gotten into it. The show has held up well.

Return to “X Minus One (Gamma World 2e)”