The Singularity (OOC)

Grognardsw
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

The Singularity (OOC)

#1 Post by Grognardsw »

For out-of-character questions, conversations, etc.

Character Generation

- Rule set Gamma World 2e.
- Races: Human, alien, mutant, cybernetic. If your character concept isn’t directly covered in the rules, we can work it out. Just let me know.
- For attributes, 4d6 pick the best three, assign as desired.
- All other rolls per the rules. I can answer any questions on rules or provide charts as necessary.
- Please make all rolls linked to campaign (#898).
- Your character, profession or world choice may dictate technology level, so the GW rules on technology probably won't apply (unless you choose a post-apocalyptic milieu.)

- The Gamma World rules assume a post-apocalyptic world where technology and equipment is scarce, as is the ever-important energy source for such. But given your worlds aren't post-apocalyptic, there is no concern. The equipment list would be much bigger in fact, so if you want something not on the list let me know.

- For money, we'll go by the rules' 4d4x10, but given you're all experienced in your profession, go ahead and x5 that amount. Some of you, for example Starbeard's career man, has a regular job and house and his economics will be different. Other characters may end up with different financial situations given who you are.

House Rules:

- Natural 20 is critical for double damage.
- Natural 1 is fumble, in which there is a 50% chance of something unfortunate or darkly humorous happening (e.g. gun jams, backfires, slip/fall, programming error, vehicle crash, etc.)
- If firing into a melee and you miss target, there is a 50% chance it hits someone else, randomly determined by a roll.
- Characters with multiple attacks per round: the second attack occurs at the end of the round.
- For touch attacks, the defender's AC is just Dex. bonus if any. One is not trying to penetrate armor or hide, just touch. However, if an AC is based heavily on speed, the AC will remain as is.
- Please link rolls to the campaign, number 898. On-the-fly rolls don't count.
- Please start each post with character name / class at top.
- I like to spoiler dice roll results, it makes for a cleaner IC thread.
Last edited by Grognardsw on Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: The Singularity (OOC)

#2 Post by Grognardsw »

Welcome everyone!

Looking forward to a fun game. I've had some initial conversations with some of you, but here we can start off character generation. Each player will start in their own thread, possibly with one other. As the stories progress, the threads will come together into a larger party or two.

In broad strokes, here is what we have at the moment:

- Mant72: mutant gibbon. Paired with DadsAngry.
- DadsAngry: human with cybernetic arm
- Starbeard: an everyman
- Paladin: TBD
- DexterWard: TBD
- GreywolfVT: android or cyborg channeling Clint Eastwood.
- Rex: TBD
- Bluehorse: cyborg

You'll want to consider:
1) Race/profession
2) Preferred setting/planet/time (or I can decide)
3) Solo or be paired with someone.
4) Some back story. More can be developed in game by both us.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Bluehorse »

Ranger-1

He is more like a reverse cyborg, made up of more robot than organism. Rather than being a human with specific implants, he is more or less "plugged in" from the top like a cartridge in an old game console. At least that is the way I picture it in my mind.

Not unlike this:
bq.gif
bq.gif (300.14 KiB) Viewed 736 times
I figure he lost his name a long time ago and just goes by Ranger-1 since that is the I.D. on his chassis's breastplate in faded paint. He is a mercenary type that is one part Jane Cobb and another part Terminatoresque cyborg. I figure that over time he has had other traumas that have added up to him having trouble recalling some events and facts from his past on top of his being alive for so many more decades than should have been natural just due to the life support of his shell. Various injuries and "shorts" due to damage have further damaged his memory to the extent he is not even sure what planet he came from originally.

Some 30 years ago, while on a mission on a jungle planet, he and his squad picked up some parasites. Everyone was able to get cleared up but his wound up in his brain in an inoperable spot and they developed a slightly symbiotic relationship over time. It further altered his brain makeup as well as how he perceives the world. Ranger-1 sometimes talks to himself and might seem crazy but a lot of times he is conversing with "Worm" who has proven to be intelligent and has spread and integrated deep into his brain and his implant interface as well. They don't exactly share his Shell since Ranger is still in charge, but it is very close.

His "Shell" or suit is a hodgepodge of modern and obsolete tech that has been jammed together into a mechanical mess, not unlike a rat rod by today's standards. A skilled mechanic could go through it and spot tech from just about every decade worked into his body in some way or another.

Being over 150 (based on the serial stamp on his chassis) he has a lot of experience to draw upon and a find mishmash of cybernetics to have wired together over the years from repairs to have fun with.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#4 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I haven't rolled anything up yet but Cybernetic Human is the general idea. Clint Eastwood (Dirty Harry Cross with Good, The Bad & The Ugly with perhaps a little bit of inspiration from Cowboy Bebop) Profession bounty hunter (Boba Fett & Cowboy Bebop inspiration there). Preference Floating City/Pern World or similar. I'd like to be paired. Solo is ok but with someone is better IMO. That is the current line of thinking and update on my ideas/plans.

Go ahead make my day!
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Bluehorse »

GreyWolfVT wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:55 pm I haven't rolled anything up yet but Cybernetic Human is the general idea. Clint Eastwood (Dirty Harry Cross with Good, The Bad & The Ugly with perhaps a little bit of inspiration from Cowboy Bebop) Profession bounty hunter (Boba Fett & Cowboy Bebop inspiration there). Preference Floating City/Pern World or similar. I'd like to be paired. Solo is ok but with someone is better IMO. That is the current line of thinking and update on my ideas/plans.

Go ahead make my day!
That sounds like it will be a lot of fun!

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Starbeard »

Howdy folks! I'm still trying to decide on what I'd prefer for my everyman's home setting. A few months ago I went through a little spurt of the classic sci-fi anthology TV and radio shows, and time travel is always a staple feature there. Maybe my guy is a radio station operator in the 50s/60s who stumbles into a cosmic accident, like in the first episode of the Outer Limits or the new movie Vast of Night. Or maybe he's from a future that looks very much like that time period, like in the Jetsons, and gets thrust into things another way. I'm pretty open, as long as I get to use a wood or clay pipe and say things like, "Well I'll be a son of a gun." :D

GreyWolfVT

#7 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I did realize my concept/idea has a lot of similarities I kind of rolled up ideas Steampunk, Bounty Hunter, Cybernetic (arm or arms), Western.

I watched Cowboy Bebop back when i was younger along with Trigun and Full Metal Alchemist, and loved Clint Eastwood westerns and Dirty Harry, kinda also feel some Cowboys vs Aliens in this along with Mad Max bits here and there in my line of thinking. Probably with bits of the Mandalorian and Star Wars inspirations as well. Pretty much in a nut shell I use guns even thought the closest image to my character idea for "Guy" looks like Clint Eastwood with a sword, he has armored looking hands which for me were close enough to the cybernetic idea I had in mind just to have one or both arms cybernetic.

Now the only problem I am running into are my rolls got a crappy 6 and an 8 as my two lowest and cannot find anything about being a "cyborg" in the character creation parts of the rules for GW 2e so am I missing something or is it just not there?
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Grognardsw »

Good ideas guys!

Starbeard, we’re on the same wavelength. I imagine a white collar job would be most appropriate? Perhaps an ad man, architect or accountant? I have just the storyline in mind. Its titled The Gernsback Continuum (the title only is borrowed from the William Gibson short story, nothing else :) ).

DadsAngry’s Major and Mant’s Gorum are chatacters from a skype game that continues here en media res.

Greywolfand and Bluehorse, 2e doesn’t directly have cyborg so I’ll house rule it using the android and robot stats as a guide. Just let me know what you see for the character, suggest stats, and I’ll review (e.g. weapon, attachments, tech abilities, etc.)

If you roll 8 or under on a prime attribute (PS If you’re a fighter type, MS or Int. for a profession where that is important, etc.) then roll again. You can assign rolls to stats as desired, so obviously the higher rolls go where most desired.

Greywolf, we can do Pern. You’re an off-worlder. Pern and their dragons are considered fantasy by many, but as you know they were a lost space colony and the dragons genetically modified for a specific purpose. When in their timeline and other details of your storyline will be revealed as the game progresses.

Rex, you had mentioned in the recruitment thread you were open to Pern. Would you like to join greywolf, or have a different idea?

GreyWolfVT

#9 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Grognardsw wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:35 am
Greywolf and and Bluehorse, 2e doesn’t directly have cyborg so I’ll house rule it using the android and robot stats as a guide. Just let me know what you see for the character, suggest stats, and I’ll review (e.g. weapon, attachments, tech abilities, etc.)

If you roll 8 or under on a prime attribute (PS If you’re a fighter type, MS or Int. for a profession where that is important, etc.) then roll again. You can assign rolls to stats as desired, so obviously the higher rolls go where most desired.
Alright so re-roll the 8 and 8 if they are in a stat that is important well lets see where does bounty hunter fall? "Fighter ish" so I guess important however 1 is in a non important stat due to what you said being able to place where wanted. CHA is almost always my "dump stat" regardless of game system. As for what i see for a character Dual pistols of some sort I'll have to look through the pdf some more as for robotic parts only was thinking arm or arms.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Rex »

I can go with Pern, but Greywolf is going cybernetic cowboy or am I missing something?

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Grognardsw »

Bluehorse wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:00 am So I can see the Fusion rifle use Atomic Cells
Laser weapons use Hydrogen Cells
What does the Mark VII Rifle use? I know I am missing something here.
Given the Mark VII Blaster uses Hydrogen Energy Cells, let's say that the Mark VII Rifle also does so too.

A note about equipment: The Gamma World rules assume a post-apocalyptic world where technology and equipment is scarce, as is the ever-important energy source for such. But given your worlds aren't post-apocalyptic, there is not the case. The equipment list would be much bigger in fact, so if you want something not on the list let me know.

For money, we'll go by the rules' 4d4x10, but given you're all experienced in your profession, go ahead and x5 that amount. Some of you, for example Starbeard's career man, has a regular job and house and his economics will be different.
Rex wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:18 am I can go with Pern, but Greywolf is going cybernetic cowboy or am I missing something?
Greywolf's Guy, a cybernetic cowboy, is not a native of Pern. He is in a profession or situation that will bring him there. Rex, you can choose to be a native of Pern, or an off-worlder of your choice.
Paladin wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:45 pm My mind is chewing on some ideas!
Keep chomping :)

GreyWolfVT

#14 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Rex wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:18 am I can go with Pern, but Greywolf is going cybernetic cowboy or am I missing something?
Not missing anything but he is also not a PERN native.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Rex »

OK, I am still thinking. I may have an idea but need to look at the rules a bit more to see if I can pull it off.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Starbeard »

Same here. I hope to roll up tomorrow.

For characterization, how about a boring white collar job in an otherwise exciting or exotic field? He could be a policy man or accountant for a big television company, like the Mel Cooley straight man in Rob Petrie's office. Or an architect who designs the elevators for all the big places.

Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#17 Post by Paladin »

I admit I have not yet looked at the rules very closely, so maybe this is not doable. Sort of a Tarzan-ish story.

But I thought about a man around thirty who has lived a normal, fairly placid life working on a starship of some flavor. Somehow he is forced to evacuate the ship and crashes on an uncharted planet.

It is wild and primeval and similar to old earth in eons past. He is forced to go from helpless and tech-dependant to starting from scratch and learning to hunt, make fire, etc.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Grognardsw »

Starbeard wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:52 am Same here. I hope to roll up tomorrow.

For characterization... an architect who designs the elevators for all the big places.
Starbeard, let’s go with architect. 1950s America, suburb of medium-size city. Details to unfurl in play. Working up the sheet should be refreshingly simple given you’re a typical man. Optional and if you’re so inclined, but to reflect that perhaps roll 3d6 instead of 4d6/drop lowest?

With house, family, good career, and being an everyman, money isn’t a concern for typical expenditures. Though the wife would like a pool; the Jones’ next door just got one. “Equipment” would be light if any (no need to list the lawnmower :D ) Weapons unlikely unless you’re a hunter. Perhaps a hobby or two. College degree, skills your good at, etc.

I can start your story thread this weekend, if you’re ready.
Paladin wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:21 pm I admit I have not yet looked at the rules very closely, so maybe this is not doable. Sort of a Tarzan-ish story.
Paladin, your scenario is certainly doable. Hopefully you don’t feel pressure to come up with too much of the plot, which is not my intent. While giving players the option to choose their milieu, I’m not expecting them to frame their own adventure. I want there to be surprise and unpredictability. So I’d run with “uncharted planet” as the setting and you as starship crew person. Everything else will come out in play.

Everyone, we have a tendency to look at rule systems as both the source and guard rails of idea and possibility (often rightly so.) For X Minus One this isn’t the case. Think of the rules as a mechanical framework, not a guide to what one can’t do. If the exact race/profession or concept isn’t in there, I’ll house-rule it. So there is no limitation. I just used Gamma World cause its easy and in the 1e framework, which most folks here are familiar with.

Mant and DA, your story thread will start this weekend. For reference, I’m going to drop the previous chapter summaries into a “Prologue” thread.

Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#19 Post by Paladin »

I like that even better. I was unsure how much info we needed to provide. Keeping it skeletal suits me wonderfully.

DexterWard
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#20 Post by DexterWard »

EDIT
Apologies for the late entry. Been a very busy week...

Here are the basic options I'm contemplating (I think in order of preference). I wanted to keep it very basic and let the story/role-playing draw out the rest. I'm good with starting solo, especially based on the character ideas below. Totally open to thoughts and ideas.
  1. Human : No enhancements, Classic Earth SciFi Astronaut, his ship gets sucked into a wormhole, has no way to return home. Resources will run out unless he can find a habitable planet.
  2. Formic : (Orson Scott Card - Enders Game series) Planetary Scout, mutated from years of scouting, no longer accepted by the colony. Set out to discover a new home. pushed too far in his small spacecraft, lost/separated from his homeworld colonies, no way to return. Mutated. (Needs flushed out some more)
  3. Human : Explorer, more cybernetic than Human, pushing the far reaches of space. Has pushed so far he's lost contact with Earth (or some home world). Life is now about survival.
  4. Human : Cybernetic Eyes - Geologist, stranded on a partially mined asteroid with a broken-down spacecraft. All other mining personnel have died due to the discovery of an alien fungus/parasite/virus/bacteria found inside the asteroid. (Possibility: altered/permanently affected by the f/p/v/b I'm some way)
I will read everyone's post tomorrow and add a few posts in the other threads. I'm pretty excited about this campaign and like what I've seen in everyone's characters thus far. All good stuff. :)
Buck_Rogers.jpg
Buck_Rogers.jpg (393.47 KiB) Viewed 676 times
Formic by Ecthelion.jpg
Formic by Ecthelion.jpg (37.24 KiB) Viewed 676 times
Classic Astronaut.jpg
Classic Astronaut.jpg (90.14 KiB) Viewed 676 times
Bug_Alien_Issues.jpg
Bug_Alien_Issues.jpg (461.58 KiB) Viewed 676 times
Last edited by DexterWard on Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “X Minus One (Gamma World 2e)”