1. Shooting, Beating, Stabbing

tibbius
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: 1. The Mission (Action)

#381 Post by shaidar »

Shift directs Louis into the lift and hits the ground floor button.

"The goons are coming after us with guns, we must hurry and leave"

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#382 Post by tibbius »

The lift hums downward. Then something clanks above you and it lurches.

The lights go out.

After a couple of breathless (at least for Louis) moments, the lights flicker back on. They're throbbing now, with faint blue and yellow tinges to the usual off-white fluorescent glow. Can Shift see in the dark?
BackworldTraveller wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:48 pm Angus reads the message and has a quick think...The College has a delivery vehicle that the staff are always leaving the keys for just hanging about...
What is Angus doing about the van?
Lance wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:58 pm Clark

"I'm not sure, based on the footage and what Shift wrote earlier, these guys might be PropSec, like the ones that attacked Luiz."

What is Clark doing?
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#383 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Angus Acompanied by Clark? heads to the college and, muffled against identification and checking the loading bay is clear, grabs the van keys from the office.
A quick drive-by and lets see if we can pick them up - can you keep in contact while I concentrate on driving?

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#384 Post by shaidar »

Shift

The robots visual systems automatically increases the gain to try and compensate for the reduced light, it's visions improves but ends up slightly grainy.

Shift forces open the maintenance panel and attempts to get the lights back on and the elevator moving (or at least determine the problem):

Repair: [1d8]=8

Lance
Ranger
Ranger

#385 Post by Lance »

BackworldTraveller wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:45 am Angus Acompanied by Clark? heads to the college and, muffled against identification and checking the loading bay is clear, grabs the van keys from the office.
A quick drive-by and lets see if we can pick them up - can you keep in contact while I concentrate on driving?
Clark sends the address to Angus and jumps in as the van rolls into the parking lot of his office building. "Sure thing, let's get going." He says, then starts texting. "Van on the way. ETA 4 minutes. Angus and I on board."

ETA was just a guess, I assume Angus' driving will determine the actual time it takes. I'd have sent the number Angus told me, I'll update later.

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#386 Post by tibbius »

Shift interrogates the control panel and gets back a Motor Overload Fuse signal. He's an experienced maintenance droid, and knows there usually is a box of spare fuses on top of the elevator car. There's also a hatch in the ceiling, between the two light fixtures. He can reach it - if Louis can support his weight (about 200 lb.).

Angus drives at a not-suspicious rapid speed, observing traffic laws. He still makes it to the residential tower in about six minutes.

Now we need to pause Angus and Clark until Louis and Shift catch up in their timeline ...
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#387 Post by tibbius »

Shift knows the cable motor is at the top of the shaft, a few floors up, and the fusebox should be on the inner wall of the shaft near the door. Louis will need to climb the cable and get over to the door in order to replace the fuse.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#388 Post by shaidar »

Shift

"Friend Louis. My arm servo is damaged, so you will need to climb up and replace the fuse. I can provide instructions over voice communications"

Does Shift know if we are anywhere near a floor as an alternative would be to force the doors open and climb out if we are

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#389 Post by tibbius »

shaidar wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:06 pm Shift

"Friend Louis. My arm servo is damaged, so you will need to climb up and replace the fuse. I can provide instructions over voice communications"

Does Shift know if we are anywhere near a floor as an alternative would be to force the doors open and climb out if we are
You're almost certainly near a floor - either up or down through the door, if you can get it open.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#390 Post by shaidar »

Shift

"Wait a moment, friend Louis. Maybe there is another option, let me see if I can get the doors open"

Repair: [1d8]=6

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#391 Post by tibbius »

shaidar wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:54 pm Shift

"Wait a moment, friend Louis. Maybe there is another option, let me see if I can get the doors open"

Repair: [1d8]=6
A few quick bits to the control panel, and the doors of the lift whine open. The floor of the car is about two feet above the carpet of the hallway floor.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#392 Post by shaidar »

Shift crouches and starts to clamber out of the elevator car.

"Quickly friend Louis, before the armed govcorp men catch up with us"

thenewflesh
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#393 Post by thenewflesh »

Shit, Louis curses under his breath. Then, out loud, "Ok. Tell my code I love it."

Then he clambers up out of the car, grabs hold of the cable, and begins to use muscles which haven't seen the light of day in 12 years.

Rolled a 1 on a 1d6 for Athletics. Obviously.

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#394 Post by tibbius »

thenewflesh wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:19 pm Shit, Louis curses under his breath. Then, out loud, "Ok. Tell my code I love it."

Then he clambers up out of the car, grabs hold of the cable, and begins to use muscles which haven't seen the light of day in 12 years.

Rolled a 1 on a 1d6 for Athletics. Obviously.
But Shift just opened the door :)
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#395 Post by tibbius »

Louis and Shift scramble out of the elevator. In the adjacent shaft, they hear the noise of a car lurching into motion. There's a stairwell nearby.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#396 Post by shaidar »

Shift shifts into high-gear and heads towards the stairwell

"Hurry friend Louis"

Once they are in the stairwell Shift will let Louis go in front so his metal body will help protect the human. If possible, and if it would mean faster movement, then Shift will carry Loius.

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#397 Post by tibbius »

Shift would need to make a hindered (d4) roll to carry a person - bent actuator, right?

You hustle down the stairwell toward the street.

I don't imagine Louis as the most fit person ever, he'll need to make some kind of roll (probably a d6) to make it all the way down the many flights to street level
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#398 Post by tibbius »

Lance wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:24 amClark sends the address to Angus and jumps in as the van rolls into the parking lot of his office building. "Sure thing, let's get going." He says, then starts texting. "Van on the way. ETA 4 minutes. Angus and I on board."
BackworldTraveller wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:45 am Angus Acompanied by Clark? heads to the college and, muffled against identification and checking the loading bay is clear, grabs the van keys from the office.
Angus and Clark roll up on the building ... no sign of Shift or Louis ...
thenewflesh wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:19 pm Shit, Louis curses under his breath. Then, out loud, Rolled a 1 on a 1d6 for Athletics. Obviously.
I'm going to recycle this skipped roll for the "running down stairs" effort.

At about the twelfth landing - so about halfway down - Louis sprawls against the wall, wheezing.

As Angus pulls the van into a standing-only space, several big men run out of the building lobby onto the dingy sidewalk and pause, wildly looking around.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Lance
Ranger
Ranger

#399 Post by Lance »

Clark looks at the cavalcade of (armed?) men obviously looking for someone. "They either got out and need a ride elsewhere, or they hid inside and we need to lure these guys away. Unless there's another exit? He asks Angus out loud before typing a message with the same content to the dynamic duo.

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#400 Post by tibbius »

Shift's message inbox pings him. The Angus and Clark expedition has arrived. There are thugs on the sidewalk.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Return to “Change Agents (CRAWLERS)”