Character Creation & Stuff

hedgeknight
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Character Creation & Stuff

#1 Post by hedgeknight »

Hey fellers, here is some information for creating your character sheet.
You can actually do one of two things: you can do screenshots from D&D Beyond (which you would have to update any time you gained a new weapon, skill, spell, level, etc, or you can create a character sheet using the process on Unseen Servant.
To go that route, click on the large "Go to the Unseen Servant Dice Roller" icon in the upper right corner.
Click on "Characters" (those who have gamed with me on here before might already have a character or two stored).
Click on "Create a new Character"
Type in your character's name and the campaign ID (890) and then click "Aye"
From there, you can set up your character sheet however you like.
You can change scores, update as needed, even attach the sheet to a post (in your private sub-forum).
Winter is coming...

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Character Creation & Stuff

#2 Post by hedgeknight »

The Unseen Servant Dice Roller

This program is probably the most challenging in using the site, but it is necessary for rolling dice, and useful for keeping track of your character sheet. The easiest way to understand it is to click on it and log in. At the very bottom of the page, you will find this box:
Screen Shot 2020-12-29 at 8.59.36 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-29 at 8.59.36 AM.png (35.9 KiB) Viewed 966 times
The best place to begin is to click on "Users Guide" and walk yourself through it.
Or if you just wish to know about rolling dice, click on "Macro Syntax" > this will tell you everything you need to know about rolling dice, creating macros for your character (so all you have to do is make one click when you want to act), etc.

You can look through the other links, but really, the first two "Users Guide" and "Macro Syntax" are all you need.

Play around with the dice roller (I still haven't figured it all out); before long, you will be able to use it easily.

If you click on "Characters" at the TOP of the page, you will see a screen that may be blank or may have your character on it if you have created one. Here is what my page looks like:
Screen Shot 2020-12-29 at 9.12.51 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-29 at 9.12.51 AM.png (1.11 MiB) Viewed 966 times
Note that all of my characters are linked to a campaign.
Your character should be linked to our campaign. The way to do that is to click on your Character Name (or create a new character is you haven't done so already) and there is a little white box below the name for "Campaign ID); in that box you will put 890. That is the ID# for our game.

I'm going to click on Gilda Ironfoot "Gilly" since she is the most recent character I've played (and has the most macros) ;)
This is what her macros sheet looks like:
Screen Shot 2020-12-29 at 9.21.44 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-29 at 9.21.44 AM.png (1.31 MiB) Viewed 966 times

Here's an easy one to create: Initiative.
Once you have a character, click on "Macros" icon and you will get a message that says "Create a new macro for this character." You click on that and it will take you to this screen:
Screen Shot 2020-12-29 at 9.24.09 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-29 at 9.24.09 AM.png (745.44 KiB) Viewed 966 times
In the box under "Macro Text" you would type something like - Initiative: [1d20]
If you have a DEX modifier, your macro would look like this - Initiative: [1d20+2]
You then click "Aye!" and you have a new macro. Very easy to do.
You can do the same with attacks, saving throws, ability checks, whatever you wish.
OR...you can just "Roll the Dice" and type in the macro every time you want to make a roll.

Let's say Mike wants to make a macro for Ostis' great axe attack.
He follows pattern as above > click on "Create a new macro for this character" then in he would type something like:
Great Axe attack: [1d20+5] Damage: [1d12+3]
(all on the same line) > click "Aye!" and he has a new macro. If you make a mistake, just delete it and start over.

Then when it is time for Ostis to attack, Mike would go to the dice roller page, click on "Roll the Dice" (top left), and choose the macro he wants from the page, click on the d20 icon, and the roller will generate a virtual roll. It will look somewhat like this:
Screen Shot 2020-12-29 at 9.37.32 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-29 at 9.37.32 AM.png (1011.27 KiB) Viewed 966 times
When you make a roll in our game, I want to see them in your post. So, you will see there is a PbP Forum Code below my roll, and out from that you would click on "Copy" and then paste it into the post...like this:
Footman's Pick: [1d20] = 13 Damage: [2d4+1] = 4+1 = 5

I hope that helps with the dice roller > it's actually very easy to use once you get the hang of it.
If you have further questions, please ask.
Winter is coming...

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Character Creation & Stuff

#3 Post by hedgeknight »

Doing final reviews of character sheets today and just want to make sure of a thing or two.

1/ Most feats are not available until 4th level. I don't mind you having them on your sheet, just make a note.
2/ If you haven't already done so, link your character sheet in a sub-forum on your private page. If you have created a sheet in the Dice Roller, linking it to a page is very easy. Just go to the Dice Roller page, click on "Characters" and look for this at the top of the page:
Screen Shot 2021-01-01 at 10.31.37 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-01 at 10.31.37 AM.png (419.35 KiB) Viewed 937 times
Just copy and paste that code and your character sheet will be visible to me. Plus, what is really cool is when you update your sheet, the preview automatically updates as well. I would create a new tab in your private forum just for your character sheet and all things related to it.
3/ Please run things like variant rules, items, etc by me before adding them to your sheet. I think all of you have been doing that so far, and I appreciate it very much! ;)

4/ When posting for your character, just make sure you are posting specifically for YOUR character > not any of the NPC's or other folks you meet while you're walking down the street. You never know how an NPC will react to something you do; let me decide that. For example, I'll pick on Christan (who has not posted any actions yet, by the way 8-) ). He is playing a lizardfolk named Lesh. In a situation in town, Christan could post:

Lesh growls menacingly, scattering the crowd and causing the two young guards of the Flaming Fist to stand rigid in fright, unable to attack. He then rushes forward and tears the throat out of one guard with his talons and bites the other in the face. Blood and gore dripping from his chin, he turns and is gratified with the screams of terror from the townsfolk.

I would rather his post be something like this:

Lesh growls menacingly, hoping to scatter the crowd and send terror into the hearts of the two young guards of the Flaming Fist. Intimidation: [1d20] = 11
If the guards are indeed intimidated, Lesh will rush them (movement 35') and try to get in an attack before they react.
Initiative: [1d20] = 18
Claw attacks: [1d20] = 20 [2d4+7] = 6+7 = 13 [1d20] = 8 [2d4+7] = 7+7 = 14
With the natty 20, Lesh will attempt to tear out the throat of one of the guards; I think the 8 will miss the other.

The second example gives me a lot to work with as the DM, while also allowing the player some control over the situation, just not total control. If you have any questions about this, ask me in the group OOC thread or in your private forum.
Winter is coming...

Return to “Adventures in Baldur's Gate (5e)”