OOC

DexterWard
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: OOC

#21 Post by Rex »

I have the 5th edition, is that close enough or should I get the 7th? I will need to pick up the pulp rules either way. Anything else I will need?

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by Bluehorse »

Rex wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:33 am I have the 5th edition, is that close enough or should I get the 7th? I will need to pick up the pulp rules either way. Anything else I will need?
Check PMs
Last edited by Bluehorse on Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by Rex »

Thanks Bluehorse, I will start looking through it as I have time.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by Grognardsw »

Marullus wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:08 am Can people open the PDFs on the google drive?

Mine works for me on my computer, but after I put it on the google drive it has a strange error page instead of its contents. One of the other PC sheets has the same error but the other looks fine. Just wondering if anyone else is seeing this.
I can’t open the Full Auto Calc PDF sheets (which the two sheets there are), but can open the Basic Auto Calc sheet (which mine is.) Dhole offers both. Not sure of the difference; the Basic seems to have everything and is fillable.

DexterWard
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#25 Post by DexterWard »

RE: 5th Ed...You will definitely need the 7th ed. Pretty sure quite a bit changed.

RE: PDF Character Sheets...You have to use the standalone Acrobat app to open the charsheets. They will not open in a browser. I encountered that too, and then found a note about it on the website. I would say use what works best for you. There are several versions.

What you will need:
  1. CoC Investigator Handbook 7th Ed.
  2. Pulp Cthulhu
    • ...and that's pretty much it.

DexterWard
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#26 Post by DexterWard »

Rex wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:33 pm Whatever you are comfortable with for sure. Since they are new to the Unseenservant and I am in a bunch of games, if you want to limit it to 6 I can step out so they have a spot.
Hey Rex. Thank you for the input and the generous offer. I think we'll be just fine with seven. So if you have the time and want to play then you should stay. :)

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by Rex »

OK, will do. I picked up the PDF's last night so good to go once I have read through them some. I have the 5th ed book but I don't remember actually playing it.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by Urson »

I've added Chip Cole to the Google drive. I hope I didn't prang it up too badly. I need to get access to some books, so I can do equipment & such. WIP.
FA FO

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by Rex »

The only one I can see is Howard.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by Grognardsw »

Rex wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:44 pm The only one I can see is Howard.
I have the same issue. Probably because Howard is saved as the Basic Calc PDF sheet, and the others in Advanced Calc PDF.

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by Grognardsw »

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year fellow investigators.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by Rex »

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to All!

DexterWard
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#34 Post by DexterWard »

Merry X-Mas everyone....Love "How Cthulhu Ate Christmas!" :D

DM Update: I updated the Google Drive share link in the Campaign Info thread, see if that helps at all. And don't forget that those PDF's have to be downloaded and viewed in the adobe acrobat app in order to work. I'm not apposed to changing to a manual pdf, rather than the auto-calculate versions...Thoughts?

Also...Still grinding my way through CoC materials in preparation for the campaign...I'm getting excited!!! Hopefully I'll have some time next week to start posting a few things.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by Urson »

I finally got a readable copy of Chip u/l to the google drive. I had to use the basic auto-calc to get a version I could view, so that's what went into the Google drive.
FA FO

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by Grognardsw »

In light of our conversations about magic, episode 160 of the podcast Lore, called "Sleight of Hand," looks at magic from a historical perspective and is quite interesting...

https://www.lorepodcast.com/episodes

DexterWard
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#37 Post by DexterWard »

Lore is at the top of my podcast list. One of my favs. Thanks for sharing. Listening now.

DexterWard
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#38 Post by DexterWard »

Hi All,

So yesterday Grognardsw sent me a PM, from a friendly place of experience (as a GM), which in all honesty I really appreciate. Thank you sir :D

I am always willing, and sometimes ask for, feedback and criticism (both pos and neg)...Anyway, in my process to familiarize myself with the ruleset I may have inadvertently given off the vibe that the rule set is the most important thing, and that character creation should be very intensive. My apologies if that is the case...As Grognardsw reminded me, the Story is most important, and therefore by default the Experience, which is what my primary focus is.

My background comes from an OD&D (0e) perspective, which is extremely rules light, with a very basic character sheet. Skills, actions, and rulings (adjudication) are all based on character pathology (which is developed during gameplay rather than from a background), player skill, and environmental factors. Character backgrounds are developed during play. Allowable actions are based primarily from a suspension of disbelief perspective (e.g. Can an action/skill/ability meet or exceed a suspension of disbelief test within the confines of the campaign/setting?)

So I said all that to say, we should get this train moving along and flush out characters as we go...

Next steps would be:
  1. GM creates kickoff thread (1/1)
    • Ptolemy's Scriptorium: TheParty meets/re-groups here, gets leads (walk-ins, news reports, radio tips, newspaper articles, etc.)
  2. TheParty (that's you) begins posting/interacting in the Ptolemy's Scriptorium thread (choose first adventure scenario/plot thread)
  3. GM creates 1st adventure thread, TheParty starts their first case/adventure into the unknown (~1/4 - 1/6) depending on player engagement after the 1st
  4. GM finalizes rules review and character profiles (will make suggestions for tweaks over the next few weeks, tweak as we go) (1/5)
From the original list of players the following bolded players have been active and have characters developed. I believe Urson and Rex are in progress, and ybn1197 said he wouldn't be able to start until mid-Jan (which is fine). The potential 7th player only made one initial post, no word since.

Members:
  • Bluehorse
  • Marullus
  • ybn1197
  • Grognardsw
  • Rex
  • Urson
Any qualms about this approach?

DexterWard
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#40 Post by DexterWard »

I added the Ptolemy's Scriptorium description to the Campaign Info thread. I made a small contribution as well :D

Return to “In Dark Recesses (Pulp Cthulhu (CoC 7th ed.))”