Re: 3. Bittercreek (action)

#61 Post by Squid »

Wraith

"Agreed. Let's see what the trolls are up to."

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#62 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Grax chuckles "Yeah that's what I was thinkin, I'd like ta take a crack at some trolls."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#63 Post by tibbius »

Next morning you set out from the town of Bittercreek, leaving its salty inhabitants just as you found them.

You have your minds fixed on the Trollbridge that carries the trade route over Gasping Chasm. You've heard of it before, but avoided it on your way north to investigate the Ancient General's Tomb - you took the arduously muddy lowland toll-evading route.

Do you do anything in particular on your way south through the mountains?

You notice that Elzarune has vanished during the night.
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#64 Post by Rex »

Sealgair

Sealgair will look/sniff around and see if she can find Elzarune's trail.

Smell [1d6] = 6 [1d6] = 1 [1d6] = 3

GreyWolfVT

#65 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Grax wonders where Elzarune got off to in the night.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#66 Post by ybn1197 »

Before long, Elzarune returns to the others. "My most sincere apologies my friends. I needed time to think on my own. The business we left behind us unfinished at Bittercreek has me concerned. While I think we did the right thing as any involvement we took would only be temporary, it still does not sit well with me."

GreyWolfVT

#67 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Grax grins glad to see Elzarune again "Yeah I agree wit ya. But dunno what we coulda done. We aint union reps er nothin."

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#68 Post by tibbius »

Going to assume you re-provisioned etc. before leaving Bittercreek.

"Still," says Elzarune's armor abruptly, "it's a terrible situation there, the workers being exploited and so on. Though, who knows, you only heard one side of the story ..."

The armor has a pleasant soprano voice. On its chest, the engraving has changed to the face of an elfin woman of indeterminate age, wild-haired. The face's lips move as the armor speaks.
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#69 Post by ybn1197 »

Elzarune back-pedals, nearly falling onto his backside. "What the hell?!"

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#70 Post by Rex »

Sealgair

Sealgair leans in and sniffs the armor. "Umm, whats this?"

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#71 Post by tibbius »

The armor giggles. "I'm Nuala Smith," it answers. "Maker of this armor, died of a broken heart, now I ... haunt it, I guess?"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Squid
Tracker
Tracker

#72 Post by Squid »

Wraith

Looking at the armor in disbelief, "Nuala, I'm pleased to meet you?"

GreyWolfVT

#73 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Grax eyes the haunted armor "Eh? So...yer haunted armor then?"

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#74 Post by Rex »

Sealgair

"Haunted armor, strange."

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#75 Post by tibbius »

"Well, don't mind me so much, I'm just along for the ride," says the armor cheerfully. "Sometimes I speak my mind, is all. Also, if there's a dangerous situation, I tend to glow a little. Or hum. I get nervous before battle." The face pouts. "Try to get the dings out, is all I ask. Anyway - I'll let you be now!"

The face dissolves into a static scene of four people battling with some sort of shambling rotten abomination in a room filled with haybales.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#76 Post by ybn1197 »

Elzarune looks down skeptically at the armor he is wearing. "I'm hoping the dangerous situation she refers to is more like a preternatural sense. But at least, I think, the depiction is of us in the barn." He pauses a moment before saying "I suggest we keep moving. I doubt the troll will be polite enough to wait for us to slay him."

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#77 Post by Rex »

Sealgair

"Trolls are never polite in the stories for sure."

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#78 Post by tibbius »

It takes more than a week to traverse the mountain trade road toward the troll bridge.

Along the way, you encounter wayside inns each night. The road is moderately busy, and in each smoky beer-scented common room you encounter merchants and travelers, boisterous or quiet. After the first couple nights you begin to discern "types." Here was the lone swordsman with the enigmatic mien, there the eloping forbidden lovers, there the contented merchant with his or her mule train trooping the road, and here again the simple worker family relocating in search of better opportunity. Most of the northbound ones complain about the steep toll on the troll bridge when you ask them; most of the southbound ones are concerned whether they'll have coin enough to pay.

Each evening as you get closer to the bridge, the complaints and concern grow more poignant.

The morning before the bridge, you wake up early and eat a light breakfast. Then it's on the road again, with travel-aching feet and weary backs under the gradually lessened load of your gear.

About mid-day you reach the Gasping Chasm, where the near-constant wind between the cliffs sends up a heavy wheezing sound. A shallow arch of tight-fitted stone spans the gap of more than a hundred yards. The bridge is about thirty feet wide. Scaffolding hangs from one side of it, and a couple of trolls appear to be working on the scaffolding. A trollgate stands at the foot of the bridge. Three trolls lounge on hefty Adirondack chairs next to the gate. There is a queue of travelers waiting to pay the toll. You are twelve or fifteen back in the line.

What do you do?
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

GreyWolfVT

#79 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Grax "So uh what exactly was tha plan? We gonna pay tha toll or just attack them trolls eh?"

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#80 Post by Rex »

Sealgair

"Maybe we go through the line and see what happens when we refuse to pay?"

Return to “Traversing Tiny Dungeons (Tiny Dungeon)”