Chapter One: Into the hill

Leitz

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter One: Into the hill

#102 Post by Leitz »

While of low intelligence, the few remaining orcs are not stupid. Those who can, flee.

As the pit creature draws Thokk's body into it's wide open maw, Xavril and Parnell leap to the rescue. Within moments the creature collapses, and Thokk's body is pulled through the slime, and onto the chamber floor proper.

Parnell can bind wounds and bring Thokk back to 0.

A shuffling sound comes from the other passageway, as the red glow pulses. Xavril can feel the ...hunger..., and even the least magically inclined can feel something.

Assuming you take a few moments to prepare.

Villagers, by the look of their clothing, shamble about. Their movements are slow, and uncoordinated. past them, on a stone stage, is a man in flowing red robes. A short dagger drips blood as he sets it aside. Before him stands an altar of graven stone. Black streaks mark it's sides a young woman head turns to you. Her eyes are glazed, lifeless. Her throat is open and her lifeblood adds its stain to the altar.

The far wall is missing. There is a red, pulsing light there, but now wall can be seen. From there emanates the hatred everyone feels. A shape moves in the glow, now and again a clawed hand or cloven foot can be seen at it tries to push through the light.

The man at the alter sniffs, and turns. His eyes glint in pleasure, and he speaks. "Would any of you happen to be a virgin?"

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#103 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Parnell considers the prospect of carrying Thokk if he can "Damn like the're zombies er sumthin'." the dwarf mumbles. that is if I understand the situation this is happening near all of us or just everyone except for Xavril, Parnell & Thokk? If so the comment is not said.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#104 Post by Marullus »

Confused on the layout. Is this assuming we went down the other hallway to see the stage and missing wall?

Dorni exhales in relief as the remaining orcs flee, chasing them out with a few more flying projectiles.

He raises the visor on his bristling platemail. He looks visibly pained as he recognizes Netty the grocer, Hilda the missing farm-wife... "Well, THAT is worse than orcs," the little gnome whispers to the others. "Xavril? Xavril, you got this, right?"

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#105 Post by Leitz »

Addendum: Some people should not post when they are worn out. :(

You may cast spells, do healing, drink potions, etc, between the orc battle and going down the hallway.
A character, between 0 and negative CON HP, can be brought to 0 by bandaging, and then restored by magical (spell, potion) healing. However, they still lose 1 HP per round until bandaged.

There are 6 zombies, the guy, and the freshly bleeding girl. And the demon in the process of being summoned.
Clerics and Mages, but not Illusionists, know that blood, especially virgin blood, is a powerful tool.
Anyone attacking a zombie automatically gets initiative.

The final scene begins with the party "in contact". That is, at melee or missile range, as you prefer. Run two rounds of whatever.

DexterWard
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#106 Post by DexterWard »

Xavril Darkstone (Half-Elf Cleric)
Posture: Bold

A chill runs down Xavril's spine as the demon threatens to emerge from the chaos of the Abyss...Parnell, can you bandage Thokk while I see if I can thwart this summoner of evil?

While Thakk is bandaged by Parnell Xavril casts Cure Light Wounds: CLW [1d8] = 6

Xavril doesn't wait for an answer, he will get the summoner in range/view, if he can, and casts Hold Person, hoping the others can manage the zombies. Regardless of the effects, he will

Xavril will then get within range of the Summoner and cast Spiritual Hammer, if he can get within 3" (30' ?) of the summoner, otherwise he will charge the summoner with intent to interrupt or stop his summoning using his Mace as an implement of persuasion, dealing with zombies if he must. Mace attack 2 below should suffice for both 2nd round options

Standard Rolls: Two d20 [1d20] = 5[1d20] = 3; Two d6 [1d6] = 4[1d6] = 5; Percentile [1d100] = 92
Mace Attack 2: Initiative [1d6] = 6; Attack [1d20+1] = 11+1 = 12; Damage [1d6+2] = 3+2 = 5

Hold Person (Enchantment/Charm)
Level: 2
Range: 6”
Casting Time: 5 segments
Duration: 4 rounds + 1 round/level
Saving Throw: Neg.
Area of Effect: One to three creatures
Explanation/Description: This spell holds immobile, and freezes in places, from
1-3 humans or humanoid creatures (see below) for 5 or more melee rounds.
The level of the cleric casting the hold person spell dictates the length of time
the effect will last. The basic duration is 5 melee rounds at 1st level, 6 rounds at
2nd level, 7 rounds at 3rd level, etc. If the spell is cast at three persons, each
gets a saving throw at the normal score; if only two persons are being
enspelled, each makes their saving throw at -1 on their die; if the spell is cast at
but one person, the saving throw die is at -2. Persons making their saving
throws are totally unaffected by the spell. Creatures affected by a hold person
spell are: brownies, dryads, dwarves, elves, gnolls, gnomes, goblins, half-elves,
halflings, half-orcs, hobgoblins, humans, kobolds, lizard men, nixies, orcs,
pixies, sprites, and troglodytes. The spell caster needs a small, straight piece of
iron as the material component of this spell.

Spiritual Hammer (Invocation)
Level: 2
Range: 3”
Casting Time: 5 segments
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: Special
Area of Effect: One opponent
Explanation/Description: By calling upon his or her deity, the cleric casting a
spiritual hammer spell brings into existence a field of force which is shaped
vaguely like a hammer. This area of force is hammer-sized, and as long as the
cleric who invoked it concentrates upon the hammer, it will strike at any opponent
within its range as desired by the cleric. The force area strikes as a magical
weapon equal to one plus per 3 levels of experience of the spell caster for
purposes of being able to strike creatures, although it has no magical plusses
whatsoever “to hit”, and the damage it causes when it scores a hit is exactly the
same as a normal war hammer, i.e. 1-6 versus opponents of man-size or smaller,
1-4 upon larger opponents. Furthermore, the hammer strikes at exactly the same
level as the cleric controlling it, just as if the cleric was personally wielding the
weapon. As soon as the cleric ceases concentration, the spiritual hammer is
dispelled. Note: If the cleric is behind an opponent, the force can strike from this
position, thus gaining all bonuses for such an attack and negating defensive
protections such as shield and dexterity. The material component of this spell is a
normal war hammer which the cleric must hurl towards opponents whilst uttering
a plea to his or her deity. The hammer disappears when the spell is cast.

No one wants a demon walking around :shock:
Last edited by DexterWard on Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#107 Post by GreyWolfVT »

“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#108 Post by Marullus »

Leitz wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:24 pmYou may cast spells, do healing, drink potions, etc, between the orc battle and going down the hallway.
Does Xavril have healing spells left? Anyonewith a potion? We should get Thokk back in the scene before engaging. :)

Dorni stares at the stage, the wall, the demon... the stage. Like a performance. "Nope. Nope, nope, nope. That demon isn't real," he says disbelieving. He scrunched his eyes, then reopens them to look again.

Save vs Spell (10) [1d20] = 14

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#109 Post by The Bindoner »

Tinwendil turns to the spellcasters: I will shoot the summoner, but will that stop the summoning? You are versed in the ways of magic, tell me this. I am loathe to suggest this, but I must. If time runs short will ending the suffering of that poor girl sever the link to this place for that evil?

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#110 Post by Leitz »

Marullus wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:20 pmDorni stares at the stage, the wall, the demon... the stage. Like a performance. "Nope. Nope, nope, nope. That demon isn't real," he says disbelieving. He scrunched his eyes, then reopens them to look again.

A claw begins to penetrate the veil between the demonic world and yours...

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#111 Post by Marullus »

Dorni's eyes go wide and he answers Tinwendil. "It's no illusion. It's real, definitely real. That claw... it's really reaching through..." the gray haired illusionist begins shaking, no more words coming out.

Once the others begin to move, he pulls himself together as well. "At least it isn't hard to get the drop on a zombie... I am sorry Miss Hilda..."
Last edited by Marullus on Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

DexterWard
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#112 Post by DexterWard »

Marullus wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:20 pm Does Xavril have healing spells left? Anyonewith a potion? We should get Thokk back in the scene before engaging. :)
Xavril does have a healing spell, but was worried about the demon getting out. I would be happy to change my post to heal Thokk first. I almost did that. I teetered on the edge of decision for like 10 mins :shock: :?

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#113 Post by Leitz »

DexterWard wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:54 pm
Marullus wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:20 pm Does Xavril have healing spells left? Anyonewith a potion? We should get Thokk back in the scene before engaging. :)
Xavril does have a healing spell, but was worried about the demon getting out. I would be happy to change my post to heal Thokk first. I almost did that. I teetered on the edge of decision for like 10 mins :shock: :?

He could have healed Thokk before they headed down the corridor to the demon.

DexterWard
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#114 Post by DexterWard »

Leitz wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:02 am
I made an edit accordingly. I wasn't sure if Xavril would know how to stop the summoning. Since the girl's blood is already spilled I didn't think doing anything with her would make a difference.

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#115 Post by cybersavant »

Kurzuk, 1/2Orc R/M, hp 16/20

2 rounds of magic missiles on the summoner

[1d4+1] = 2+1 = 3[1d4+1] = 3+1 = 4
[1d20] = 3[1d20] = 20[1d6] = 6[1d6] = 5[1d100] = 49
gaming since 1980
cybersavant.proboards.com
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
Andreas Larson; Law of the Gun <Boot Hill 3e>
Nah Olos; Earthquakes in the Jotens <AD&D 1e>
Rorexsth; Wayfarers <Doctor Who>

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#116 Post by Leitz »

DexterWard wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:15 am
Leitz wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:02 am
I made an edit accordingly. I wasn't sure if Xavril would know how to stop the summoning. Since the girl's blood is already spilled I didn't think doing anything with her would make a difference.
From the other man's comment, more virgin blood would help the process along. The girl could be potentially helped, if things are resolved quickly.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#117 Post by dmw71 »

Thokk, Half-Orc, Fighter 3
Posture: Bold, Steadfast, Cowardly

The darkness begins to lighten as Thokk struggles to open his eyes, spying Xavril momentarily standing over him before the elf hurries off. "What happened?" the half-orc wonders, shaking his head as he tries to catch his bearings.

Then he notices what Xavril is rushing towards.

Eyes wide, the weakened fighter quickly locates his trident and eagerly begins to move to join the fray, happily jabbing at the zombies he encounters, in the order he reaches them.

Growling, he angrily throws his trident to the ground after his ineffectiveness and rips a battle axe free from the straps binding it to his back.

Rolls
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#118 Post by The Bindoner »

Tinwendil Posture Steadfast

Very well, let us end this quickly. We advance to the maiden and heal her.

Tinwendil aims for the summoner and moves up as the group does.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#119 Post by Leitz »

Parnell wades into battle with the zombies, taking a chunk out of the largest, freshest, one. Unholy energy still courses through the creature, even as it is laid open from lowest rib to spine. Guts and ichor pour out pour out of the wound. Dorni wisely picks his targets. The first attack missed, he knew the woman from life. The second attack laid her to final rest.

The first of Kurzuk's magic missiles strike home, causing the man to scream in pain.

Xavril senses the spiritual opposition in the summoner. The undead must be his creation. Xavril's hammer does not strike home.

The summoner must have also seen the enemy in Xavril. His religion, it seems, does not preclude drawing blood. The first javelin bounces off the floor beside Xavril, but the second finds it's mark as the man throws, and then leaps down from the alter. Xavril's armor is pierced slightly, and then a bolt of electricity consumes him. (4 HP from the javelin, 20 HP from the lightening).

Kurzuk's second magic missle strikes home.

Tinwendil and Thokk dodge zombies but cannot yet bring any down.

When the next round begins, the summoner is gone. The throbbing light fades from the portal; soon it is nothing more than blood stained a cavern wall.

The five zombies soon fall to the might of the party. The summoner is nowhere to be seen. Everyone's ears are still ringing from the lightening bolt in an enclosed space.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#120 Post by dmw71 »

Thokk, Half-Orc, Fighter 3
Posture: Bold, Steadfast, Cowardly

The aggressive half-orc covers his eyes as a flash of lighting streaks through the air. Peeking a moment later, he spies Xavril smoldering from the strike and half-exects the healing man to keel over in a delayed reaction to the shock of the strike.

He pries his eyes away from the nearly electrocuted half-elf and surveys the immediate scene.

"Now what?" he wonders aloud.

Rolls
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Return to “The Unknown Darkness (1e)”