Round 3 Rules

Monsieur Rose
Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Round 3 Rules

#1 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Character Creation:
  • Characters: 2E races, classes, and kits. Level 1.
  • Stats: Ability scores 4d6 drop 1.
  • Since this isn't a campaign, just for fun, if your rolls don't fulfill a class you want to play, you can bump up the scores to the minimum required.
  • HP: Max hp
  • Spells are allowed, just not lethal ones.
  • Resonable height and weight
  • Money: Max starting gold
  • Equipment: Weapons will be stowed in the armory. Other items are welcome. Maybe marbles, or oil?
Campaign ID is 805

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Round 3 Rules

#2 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Rules for this game/ What players need to do:
  • Choose target of attack.
  • Choose the type of combat. Pummel, grapple, overbear.
  • Give me an idea of what you want to do. ex: punch this dude. Throw him off a railing. etc
  • Roll to hit. (d20)
That's it.

Summary of rules:
Three basic attack modes are recommended: PUMMEL, GRAPPLE, OVERBEAR. Each method of attack is explained separately, and each has its own rules and modifiers.

Pummel: Normal attack roll is made. Normal AC of the target is used.

Damage: Bare-handed attacks cause only 1 or 2 points of damage. Metal gauntlets and brass knuckles do 1d3 points of damage. A character's Strength bonus does apply.
Only 25% of the damage caused by a bare-handed attack is normal damage. The remaining 75% is temporary.
There is a chance to KO the target, depending on the attack roll. See the table below.

Grapple: Normal attack roll is made. Normal AC of the target is used.

Damage: Wrestling moves on the table marked with an asterisk (*) are holds maintained from round to round unless they are broken. A hold is broken by a throw, a gouge, or help from another.
All wrestling moves inflict 1 point of damage plus Strength bonus (if the attacker desires), while continued holds cause cumulatively 1 more point of damage for each round they are held. A headlock held for six rounds would inflict 21 points of damage total (1+2+3+4+5+6).

Overbear: Normal attack roll is made. Normal AC of the target is used.

Sometimes you just want to pin someone down.
If the attack succeeds, the opponent is pulled down. A character can be pinned if further successful overbearing attacks are rolled each round.
If multiple attackers are all attempting to pull down a single target, make only one attack roll with a +1 bonus for each attacker beyond the first.

Punching and Wrestling Table:
round 3.jpg
round 3.jpg (42.37 KiB) Viewed 1115 times

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Monsieur Rose »

PC tweaks:

Lug (Fighter -Barbarian Kit)
16 STR +1 Dam
14 DEX
15 CON
10 INT
4 WIS
13 CHA

Rogg (Fighter)
17 STR +1 Hit/+1 Dam
13 DEX
18 CON
12 INT
7 WIS
11 CHA

Vonn (Fighter-Gladiator Kit)
13 STR
12 DEX
15 CON
9 INT
10 WIS
7 CHA

Evan (Thief -Swashbuckler Kit)
16 STR +1 Dam
16 DEX
9 CON
13 INT
8 WIS
15 CHA
Last edited by Monsieur Rose on Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by max_vale »

Sorry for my late reply to this!

Is it okay if I make Evan a "Swashbuckler" per the Kit from the Complete Thieves' Handbook? This would necessitate a 13 in INT and CHA, so I could move the 15 from CON to CHA, move the 9 to CON and just alter the INT if that works? I'll take the Sabre as my 'Weapon of Choice'.

Thanks, this looks fun!

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Rex »

Can Vonn take the Gladiator kit with cestus specialty?

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Rex wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:46 pm Can Vonn take the Gladiator kit with cestus specialty?
Sure thing! I played that kit once, great fun.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Rex »

Cool, thanks!

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Monsieur Rose »

So there may be some confusion on the rules as written.

My understanding is that "When punching or wrestling, a normal attack roll is made. The normal Armor Class of the target is used."
This indicates to me that a normal d20 attack is rolled, and you must hit your opponent as normal based on AC and THAC0. So for level 1 characters with a THAC0 of 20, hitting an unarmored person with no dex bonus requires a 10.
Once a successful attack is made, you cross-reference that die roll on the chart to see what type of attack it is.

At least that's how I read it. The table listing attacks less than 1 as a viable option is a bit confusing. I don't really see how that could work. Unless a level 11 fighter(THAC0 10) with STR of 7 hits an unarmored civilian of AC 10, and rolls a 1.

Max's comment did intrigue me, however. Maybe we don't run it as written. Having a situation where around 50% of all actions result in fluff may not be the best use of time, especially on PbP.

I propose that we assume most if not all attacks hit. So the d20 roll is used to determine what type of attack results. Only those with DEX bonuses have a chance to avoid a hit. ex: A +1 DEX bonus would have you missed on a roll of 1. A +2 bonus on 1 or 2.

Thoughts?

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Rex »

Works for me, maybe a strength bonus for the attacker cancels a defenders Dex bonus, 1 for 1?

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by max_vale »

...and an option for giving up an attack to evade/bob and weave/block/escape holds, etc.?

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Monsieur Rose »

I was thinking that maybe any STR bonus to hit could be used to slide up or down the chart. There is precedence for something similar in Dark Sun. That not only would negate a dex bonus but give more options.

I'm ok with giving up an attack to evade, as long as it doesn't happen frequently. The goal would be to shorten the fight, not prolong it indefinitely. :D

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by max_vale »

Absolutely.....just thinking when WE get close to getting knocked the f#$% out!
:)

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Rex »

Sliding up and down the chart is a better idea.

Return to “The Octagon (D&D)”