Into The Valley

dice_monkey
dice_monkey
Scout
Scout

Into The Valley

#1 Post by dice_monkey »

It is Spring and the snows in the Stone Fang Mountains have melted, revealing the old path that meanders down from the rocky windswept crags into a valley unknown to most men. It is part of a frontier and the Duke has sent for people to colonize this fertile land of thick woods and grassy meadows. From the taverns of the Ducal holdfast, you have heard the rumors; the valley was once part of an ancient empire that stretched far, far away. There are tales of ruins, wild elves in the deep dark woods, of foul and fearsome creatures, and of lost treasures waiting to be found! This is what drives your tired legs ever forward over the perilous mountain path, a path better suited for a mountain goat than for a wagon.

Once into the valley, you are swallowed up by the dense tall trees. The slender path turns into an ancient road of stone with grass and wildflowers growing in the gaps. Sections of a low stone wall remain, overgrown with moss and ivy. As you trudge on, one can hear the faint roaring of a river risen with the melted snow. The woods start to thin out into rolling meadows of grass and thick copses of trees.

You slow as a small herd of bleating sheep cross your path, attended to by a tall, thin stick of a man in simple garb who watches with his back to you. He's leaning a little on his staff while a black and white dog herds the sheep across the road. The dog suddenly senses the party and starts barking which makes the shepherd turn. Seeing you approach, he reaches up and pulls his eared cap from his head revealing just a tuft of brown hair.

"G' day, sirs," the man states after hushing the dog. "Forgive me fer starin'. Hardly ever see anyone comin' down this way." Then he smiles. "O' course I'm up in the meadows hereabouts where the grass is fattest. Oswil's me name, yes sir it is. On yer way t' Freystone, eh?"

OOC: Please feel free to ask Oswil questions, maybe hear a rumor or two. Maybe do some character development. Keep in mind I tend to reward XPs for exceptional roleplaying.

Actions?
Last edited by dice_monkey on Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Into The Valley

#2 Post by Antman9 »

Okot Lichenwind (Elf, Fighter)

Okot bows slightly to the shepherd with a good-natured smile: Good day to you, sir Oswil. I am Okot Lichenwind. You do not offend, I am certain, as it is we who are intruding on your peace and quiet. For that I am sorry. We are indeed on our way, to Freystone perhaps, perhaps beyond. We have heard rumors of lost treasures in forgotten ruins, of Elves hiding in the wild darkness of the wood, of creatures most foul and cunning and fearsome. We have come from Ducal holdfast seeking to test our merit in this new frontier. Perhaps you know of these tales, these rumors, perhaps of the truth behind them? Perhaps you yourself have a need, or someone you know who is in need of service?

Okot places one hand on the hilt of his sword, the other on his chest, in a show of ease and good nature.
DM - Dragons Belch: A New Beginning (Custom D&D)
DM - Ying Huo Chóng – The Way of Things (Cortex Plus - Firefly)

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Urson »

Rockwell
They call me Rockwell- or Rocky. Are there caves nearby? This open sky opresses me.
FA FO

Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#4 Post by Paladin »

Arawn plants his spear butt-first into the ground and leans upon it, glancing casually at their immediately surroundings to assure himself that their shepherd friend is alone out here.

"Give you good day, Oswil," he says in a voice deep and smooth once his cursory search is over. "Arawn is my name. Have you or your herd been troubled by beasts or other nuisances?"

Judging by his heavy armor, large shield, and broad-bladed spear, the warrior is seeking blood and glory. "My muscles grow soft lounging beside the hearth like an old dog. I seek adventure and wealth, to spread my name across the land. And one day, perhaps, carve out a bit of this wild place for myself and my kin."

VonAlric
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#5 Post by VonAlric »

Warwick

Hearing the others speak to Oswil, Warwick stays to the back of the group. When the man looks at him, he nods and touches the brim of his hat. "Good day."

He steps over to one side, a disinterested look on his face as he looks out at the flock but listens in earnest to the conversations.
It's hard to explain puns to kleptomaniacs because they always take things literally.

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#6 Post by kalstone »

Angus

"Good day, sir. Does this river beside us have a name?"

dice_monkey
Scout
Scout

#7 Post by dice_monkey »

Antman9 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:47 am Okot Lichenwind (Elf, Fighter)

Okot bows slightly to the shepherd with a good-natured smile: Good day to you, sir Oswil. I am Okot Lichenwind. You do not offend, I am certain, as it is we who are intruding on your peace and quiet. For that I am sorry. We are indeed on our way, to Freystone perhaps, perhaps beyond. We have heard rumors of lost treasures in forgotten ruins, of Elves hiding in the wild darkness of the wood, of creatures most foul and cunning and fearsome. We have come from Ducal holdfast seeking to test our merit in this new frontier. Perhaps you know of these tales, these rumors, perhaps of the truth behind them? Perhaps you yourself have a need, or someone you know who is in need of service?
"And a good day to you, sires," The sheepherder replies with a guarded yet sincere smile. Oswil takes a moment to remove the small pack at the base of his lower back and retrieves a clay jug. Sitting on a section of low stone wall, he unstoppers the jug and takes a swig before holding it out. "Fermemted cider, by my own hand. Please, have some. It will take the dust of the day away, or of the road in your case. Treasures, eh? I've not the bravery or foolishness to seek the truth to these rumors. But I've heard of ruins that dot the vale. Tales tell of a powerful wizard that ruled this valley. Batshit crazy and evil he was. Had a great white tower in the Deeping Wood and brought together the tribes of all manner of beasts and humanoids. There was a battle, in this valley...some say of good versus evil. The empire's mages finally brought the wizard to heel at his tower where a mighty battle raged for days until at last the wizard was destroyed. At least that's how the story goes. A great tale for children, eh?"

"If the tale be true, good luck with getting there through the Deeping Wood. The elves within are reclusive and unfriendly. The Elf Way is closed and while the wood there is prized over all else in the valley, attempts by woodsmen to harvest the trees have been driven off. Our own Lady of Freywood, may Pelor watch over her, has tried to reach the elves but to no avail. There are other ruins but I know nothing of them. Ply enough coin or drink at the Brass Flagon in Freystone and I'm certain you'll hear all the rumors you care to hear."
Urson wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:28 pm Rockwell
They call me Rockwell- or Rocky. Are there caves nearby? This open sky opresses me.
"There are a few caves, good dwarf. Up in the rocky hills, nothing but shelter for bears and bandits."
Paladin wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:02 pm "Arawn is my name. Have you or your herd been troubled by beasts or other nuisances?" [/dialog]

Oswil takes a moment to scratch his balding skull. "Just wolves, bears and the occasional mountain cat. I've heard mention of goblins harassing livestock and herds, but only for a cow or sheep, maybe a couple of chickens."

kalstone wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:09 pm Angus
"Good day, sir. Does this river beside us have a name?"
"Indeed it does ,sire," Oswil replies, turning to face the faint sound of the river. "The Black Rush it's called, on account of the dark rushes that grow along 'er banks. Been running high and fast lately, what with the melting snows from up yonder peaks. Flows into the Black Fens, a place to stay well clear of I hear."

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#8 Post by kalstone »

Angus

"A wizard's tower? Interesting. Perhaps you have heard tales of legendary objects of magic located there?

"What sort of dangers lurk in these Black Fens?"

Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#9 Post by Antman9 »

Aye, I shall partake of your cider. Thank you.
Okot accepts the jug and takes a swig or two…Yes, very good indeed. A fine drink for a rest on the road. He hands the jug back to Oswil I think we shall give the Brass Flagon a visit, should we pass by that way. One never knows where the road leads when an adventure is afoot. Your tale of the White Tower in Deeping Wood is very intriguing. A most fearful tale indeed. But also too, an adventure in the making I should think. And these Wild Elves you speak of sound unfriendly at best. Should that be a bridge we face, and cross it we must, then cross it we shall. If put to task, could you, or would you, be willing to draw us a map in the dirt based on your knowledge of this area? I would think it most useful, and very much appreciated. And I am certain it would be worth your while with a kind offering in return.

Okot settles into a resting posture, giving Okot time to absorb his words and others a chance to converse with him.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Urson »

Rocky
Bears and bandits, eh? No problem- they can be bargained with, or killed and run out.
Rocky impatiently waits his turn with the jug, and takes a couple generous swigs.
IF Oswil does any map-sketching, Rockwell will hunker close by, studying his drawing intently.
FA FO

VonAlric
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#11 Post by VonAlric »

Warwick

Hearing a grunt, he turns to see the jug being offered to him. He shakes his head in refusal. Now putting his focus on their impromptu host, he speaks softly. "So, this area is called Freywood? Any idea how many people inhabit this area? And, I echo what the holy man asked about what makes that Black Fens area so dangerous."
It's hard to explain puns to kleptomaniacs because they always take things literally.

Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#12 Post by Paladin »

Arawn absorbs the sharing of rumors and descriptions of the dangers to be found hereabouts with a slow nod. He politely accepts a drink and scans the horizon with a furrowed brow. "I'm eager to see what challenges await us," he admits. "Perhaps a quick death--but perhaps a chest of gold and a better life."

dice_monkey
Scout
Scout

#13 Post by dice_monkey »

Antman9 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:29 am Okot Lichenwind (Elf, Fighter)
...could you, or would you, be willing to draw us a map in the dirt based on your knowledge of this area?
Oswil uses the end of his staff to draw a rough outline of the valley and marks a few areas for the party to take notice of.

VonAlric wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:51 am Warwick"So, this area is called Freywood? Any idea how many people inhabit this area? And, I echo what the holy man asked about what makes that Black Fens area so dangerous."
OOC: It's Freystone. Freywood is my mistake. Late, late night typo.

"Aye, Freystone. The Duke married the wife of the late duke, murdered him some say. The daughter was sent here far away from her mother and the Ducal court, charged with colonizing the valley and to bring peace and prosperity. Some say the Duke wants the young lass to fail, or better yet to die. The Duke's crazy half brother rules his steadfast in lands adjacent and I've heard wagging tongues claim the Iron Baron wants to add the valley to his own fiefdom."

"The Black Fens? Nothing but all manner of dark and nasty critters if half the stories are true. Some mention an ancient temple deep within where black rites and sacrifices continue. Nothing good is ever mentioned when the Fens are spoke of."
Last edited by dice_monkey on Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Urson »

Rockwell
The daughter sent here to sink or swim, eh? Is she a comely lass? P'raps in need of a companion? Rocky grins a gap-toothed grin, his thoughts writ large on his face.
FA FO

Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#15 Post by Antman9 »

Okot watches patiently for Oswil to complete his map...Ah, very good Oswil. You're not a bad mapper. this is very helpful. Okot pulls a gold piece out and offers it to Oswil. You have made our journey a might bit easier. Nothing worse than wandering around aimlessly.

Once Oswil has finished his tale of the Duke and the daughter Okot rubs his chin with a thoughtful expression...Hmmm, an interesting affair to be sure. One never knows what royalty and nobility will do with their time. I rarely worry myself with it, but keep an ear tuned for rumors and news of such affairs. Sounds like the young lass has her job cut out for her. Perhaps there is an opportunity for a bit of coin in that affair, if we should deem it worthy of our adventures. One never knows.

Okot smiles and gives the others a chance to chime in on the conversation.

Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#16 Post by Paladin »

Arawn raises an eyebrow. "Must be some lass, if she's tasked with such an undertaking. Perhaps she could find use for another sword in her retinue," he wonders aloud. "Or have some tasks to delegate to soldiers of fortune."

dice_monkey
Scout
Scout

#17 Post by dice_monkey »

Urson wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:25 pm Rockwell
The daughter sent here to sink or swim, eh? Is she a comely lass? P'raps in need of a companion? Rocky grins a gap-toothed grin, his thoughts writ large on his face.
Oswil looks at Rockwell with distaste. "She'll be right fetching when she comes of age, I suppose. The Baroness Laerra Freystone is but fourteen summers old though, far too young for a companion. But don't let her age fool you. She grew up at court and is a chip off the old block. So much like her late father indeed. I've heard she's smart and clever, is as agile as a cat, and can fight with both sword and lance."

"I suppose Our Lady of the Lily might have use for men of your talents. There is still some danger lurking among the valley and Pelor knows the baroness has little in the way of men-at-arms. Go journey to Freystone and find out. I'm now out of cider and I must needs be off to home. I wish you luck in your endeavors, should they be for good."

Putting his hat back on, Oswil gives the party a last wave before heading off the road with his sheep and dog.

Actions?

Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#18 Post by Antman9 »

Okot gives a friendly wave...It was a pleasure Oswil. Should we come this way again, and our paths cross, i should very much like to converse with you again. Peace be with you and yours friend.

Having dispensed with the pleasantries, Okot turns to his companions...Shall we push for Freystone? Perhaps glean a bit more about this White Tower, those Wild Elves, and the Black Fens? Or does your pleasure crave the unknown perils that await us? Too anxious to see blood, to pillage those long forgotten treasure hoards? If so then we should get right to it and let our feet guide our path into the unknown.

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#19 Post by kalstone »

"If Freystone is the sole civilization in these parts, it would seem wise to stay on good terms with the authorities there. Heading there to establish a base of operations might be a good first step."

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Urson »

Rockwell
Rockwell's expression doesn't change when he finds out about the Lady's age, but he keeps his comments to himself.

Yeah, let's go to the village first. We need a base of operations- and the shepherd's cider just whet my thirst for something stronger.
FA FO

Return to “Valley of Nuromen (Blueholme)”