Chapter 7: King Under the Mountain

Inferno
Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1 Post by Inferno »

"The King under the Mountain is dead and where are his kin that dare seek revenge? Girion, Lord of Dale is dead, and I have eaten his people like a wolf among sheep, and where are his sons' sons that dare approach me? I kill where I wish and none dare resist. I laid low the warriors of old and their like is not in the world today. Then I was but young and tender. Now I am old and strong, strong, strong!... I am King under the Mountain!" -Smaug, The Hobbit

Erebor, The Lonely Mountain, The Desolation of Smaug, Rhovanion, Middle Earth
March 24, Year One of the Fourth Age
Day Six. Midday. Misty, cold

At last, the Company descend into the bottomless black depths of Erebor.

Beneath the Lonely Mountain, they tread deeper and deeper into a labyrinthine dwarf-city taken by loss and ruin and sorrow.

Taken by Smaug.

Hours pass traversing wondrous marvels of engineering unimagined; cavernous halls and endlessly branching stairs and passages.

Every step, the black smoke and the wyrm-stench thickens. Every step the air gets hotter. Every steps brings them closer to their fate.

At last they reach the bottommost dungeon halls of the ancient dwarves, right at the Mountain's root.

They sweat in the merciless heat. The sulphurous fumes and the foul odor threaten to choke them. Pitch darkness looms all around them, just beyond the reach of their flickering torchlight.

In the distance, at the end of a great hallway, stands a towering open doorway. The Company have found the lair of Smaug.

Actions?

PC Status:
Elbenarin: Male Dunedan Ranger 3: Move: 9", AC: 2, HP: 34/34
Elbenwin: Male Dunedan Ranger 3: Move: 9", AC: 2, HP: 34/34
Folco Boffin: Male Hobbit Thief 3: Move: 9", AC: 2, HP: 16/21
Gilda 'Gilly' Ironfoot: Female Dwarvish Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 32/41
Glasik Ironfoot: Male Dwarvish Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 24/34
Gilwennen: Female Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 2/1: Move: 9", AC: -2, HP: 13/13, Spells: 1/1 1st lvl
Naruthirdor Nowe: Male Elvish Magic-User 2: Move: 12", AC: 9, HP: 8/8, Spells: 2/4 1st lvl
Rumil: Male Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 2/1: Move: 12", AC: 3, HP: 12/12, Spells: 1/3 1st lvl
Therone: Female Elvish Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: -2, HP: 11/31, Torches
Tinuwen: Female Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 2/1: Move: 9", AC: -2, HP: 12/12, Spells: 3/3 1st lvl
Vindoboduoc: Male Man Thief 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 19/19
Red: Guard Dog: Move: 12", AC: 6, HD: 2+2, HP: 11/11, AT: 1, D: 1-4, THAC0: 16

PC Magic:
None currently.

Player Resources:
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 7: King Under the Mountain

#2 Post by hedgeknight »

Gilda Ironfoot

Gilly wipes the tears from her eyes, blaming the smoke and stench for them. She weeps for the lost glory of her kin, for their lives devoured by the dragon. Choking back her emotions, she checks on Red, ruffling his ears.
"This be it, boy. This be the den of ol' Smaug."

She stands and checks her weapons, making sure everything is at hand. She stows her pick and pulls her hand axes, feeling their weight, knowing she is likely to die here...and being comfortable with that.

"Brother, it be time fer a new king under da mountain. A return to Dwur glory. When I die, lay me 'neath these here stones. A fittin' end to me life.
"Now...let's go dragon huntin'!"
Winter is coming...

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Rex »

Rumil

Rumil checks his armor and weapons. "Agreed my friend, may the beast know fear for the first time in its long life!"

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Urson »

Therone
Therone has kept quiet for the most part. She lays one hand on Gilly's shoulder. Steady, friend. I want the Wyrm dead as much as anyone- but we can't just charge in.
Therone re-organizes her quiver, making sure that the dragon-bane arrows are easy to find.
FA FO

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by ravenn4544 »

Elbenarin returns his focus to the next steps, "Therone has the right of it. We need to see what we are facing and have a plan. If we charge right in - it's hopeless."

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Rex »

Rumil

"It is never hopeless, but a plan is a good idea for sure."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#7 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Folco gulps audibly, wiping sweat from his brow with his heavily soiled hankie.

“How does one actually fight a dragon, anyway? I suppose our archers could attempt to blind the beast. That would give us a slight advantage.”

“I guess this might be obvious, but we probably shouldn’t bunch up too much directly in front of it, you know.....”
the innocent hobbit makes a horrible fire breathing motion with his mouth, moving his head back and forth for dramatic effect.

“Do you think it might be wise to.....” another audible gulp escapes his throat. “Sneak in for a closer look at the surroundings first?”

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by wolfpack »

Yes we need to scout out the room, get a position of the dragin and its sourriundings. perhaps we can set an ambush and lure it out

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Starbeard »

Vindo

Vindo whispers, "Better still if we can find another entrance into the lair. Are there any side passages around here?" He scans the corners of the hallway to look for other exits. "In any case, let's spread out and scout the entrance. I will sneak up to the left side if someone else would like to sneak up the right, and we can take turns peering — and I stress the use of practiced caution here — at an angle into the chamber."

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#10 Post by Scott308 »

Glasik Ironfoot

I'll leave the sneaking and looking to someone less clanky than me, but that's a good idea. If we charge in blind, we'll die in fire for sure. With some plan, maybe some of us walk out of here at the end.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Rex »

Rumil

"I am the quietest of the warriors, not as silent as Master Folco or you Vindo but I am willing to try and scout."

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Inferno »

Erebor, The Lonely Mountain, The Desolation of Smaug, Rhovanion, Middle Earth
March 24, Year One of the Fourth Age
Day Six. Midday. Misty, cold

In the darkness of the deepest cellars of Erebor, the discovery of the dragon's lair gives the Company pause. A whisper away from Smaug, they confer in hushed voices upon their next fateful step!

Hungry to avenge the countless lost souls of the fallen dwarf-city, Gilly readies her axes and steels herself for a good death. But Therone the elf stays her vengeful course with a hand upon her shoulder. (If Gilly would continue, please both make Ability Checks vs Strength, on 1d20.)

Vindoboduoc casts his eyes all around, searching the dungeon-halls for another path to the frightful dragon, to no avail. Echoing Folco's suggestion, Vindo asks who would join him in scouting the looming black mouth of the dragon's lair. Rumil of Mirkwood comes forward.

Actions? (Any more scouts? And what are their light sources, please?)

PC Status:
Elbenarin: Male Dunedan Ranger 3: Move: 9", AC: 2, HP: 34/34
Elbenwin: Male Dunedan Ranger 3: Move: 9", AC: 2, HP: 34/34
Folco Boffin: Male Hobbit Thief 3: Move: 9", AC: 2, HP: 16/21
Gilda 'Gilly' Ironfoot: Female Dwarvish Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 32/41
Glasik Ironfoot: Male Dwarvish Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 24/34
Gilwennen: Female Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 2/1: Move: 9", AC: -2, HP: 13/13, Spells: 1/1 1st lvl
Naruthirdor Nowe: Male Elvish Magic-User 2: Move: 12", AC: 9, HP: 8/8, Spells: 2/4 1st lvl
Rumil: Male Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 2/1: Move: 12", AC: 3, HP: 12/12, Spells: 1/3 1st lvl
Therone: Female Elvish Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: -2, HP: 11/31, Torches
Tinuwen: Female Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 2/1: Move: 9", AC: -2, HP: 12/12, Spells: 3/3 1st lvl
Vindoboduoc: Male Man Thief 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 19/19
Red: Guard Dog: Move: 12", AC: 6, HD: 2+2, HP: 11/11, AT: 1, D: 1-4, THAC0: 16

PC Magic:
None currently.

Player Resources:
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#13 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Tinuwen makes the following suggestion to the group. I suggest that Master Falco and Master Vindo scout ahead, as mentioned. The rest of us can follow behind, in groups of two, in case of a surprise attack by the Wyrm. If Fortune smiles upon us, the Beast will be asleep, and we might have the advantage of it.

What do you think?

When the party decides upon a court of action, Tinuwen makes sure that her dragonbane arrows are within easy reach, should the need arise.
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#14 Post by Scott308 »

Glasik Ironfoot

Your counsel is wise. It seems best to advance in small groups so that the wyrm is less likely to blast us all at once. I'll not go first because of the noise I'll make, but don't want to go near the end, either, as I'll need to get close to the beast. Maybe right after our scouts, or a rank further back to allow our more stealthy warriors in should they wish.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Rex »

Rumil

"I can go with the scouts or the second rank, like Glasik I need to close to melee."

Note: Rumil is wearing Elfin Chain so if alone or with just the thieves he is 1-4 in 6 likely to surprise.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by hedgeknight »

Gilda Ironfoot

Gilly glances at the hand on her shoulder, and then to Therone. She grunts at the woman's words...but gives a grudging nod of agreement. "Aye, ta charge a dragon head-on be folly and foolish. T'would be ta our advantage if we be able ta lure ol' Smaug out of his hidey hole and jump him. Most dragons have a side hole and a back hole ta their den. I'm bettin' ol' Smaug ain't no different."

When the plan is to scout around, Gilly says, "I ain't no good at sneakin' about. But take Red with ya. His nose be keen and he be able ta sniff out a dragon's hole."

Gilly walks over to Folco, grinning and places her hand on the Hobbit's shoulder, and whispers, "The best way ta kill a dragon is ta let tha rangers and Olves distract it while ye sneak around and run up its back and drive yer blade deep into tha back of its head! So I'm told. But, er, don't mention that ta tha others, eh?"
She gives the Hobbit a wink and a slap on the back before joining her brother.
Winter is coming...

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by wolfpack »

My brother and I should be in the group behind the scouts. we are skilled in detecting and suprising our enemies

rangers suprise on 3 in 6 and are only suprised on 1 in 6

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#18 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Folco has to shut his gaping mouth by pushing up on his chin with his hand after Gilly’s encouraging words. “You.....gulp.....you don’t say. Well, I’ll have to remember that.”

No longer certain he really wants to volunteer anymore, the burglar reluctantly takes his position opposite Vindo, ready to lead the splinter groups behind him into the darkness. He lights a candle to see by and looks over the wounded members of the group before moving in, wishing there was more of that horrible orc drought available that he found earlier.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Urson »

Therone
Therone smiles to try and boost Folco's morale. She readies her bow, nocking a dragon-slaying arrow.
FA FO

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by ravenn4544 »

Elbenarin nods in agreement with his brother. He takes his position with sword ready - eyes scanning the darkness....

Return to “Sauron Victorious (1e)”