Inferno
Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 7: King Under the Mountain

#41 Post by Rex »

Rumil

Save vs Spell (12) [1d20+2] = 18+2 = 20

Rumil, hearing the dwarf speak, turns and looks towards the voice.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#42 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Hearing a voice that doesn't belong to any of them, Folco quickly blows out his candle as his search comes to an end. Keeping to the shadows, he moves back towards the hallway with the intention to sneak past the figure to see if there are any others with him.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#43 Post by Urson »

Therone
Therone keeps enough control to not wade into the wealth, but she bends down and gathers a few handfuls of coins and a string of emeralds. She stows these in her pack, and looks for more choice items.
The voice startles her, and she takes aim at the old dwarf in the door. She's not going to shoot him yet, but her fingers are ready on the bowstring.
FA FO

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by hedgeknight »

Gilda Ironfoot

"Hold brother! What are ye doin'? Yer gonna wake..."

The voice behind her stops her words and she turns to see the aged dwarf. Gilly stands and walks toward the dwarf. "Aye, we be real. What about ye? Are ye a ghost of lost Erebor?"
Winter is coming...

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by ravenn4544 »

Elbenarin follows in the tendrils of torchlight lighting his way while his eyes dart at every shadow and gleam created by the glistening gold. He listens intently into to try to pick out any other sound above the group clinking it's way through the hoard.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by Inferno »

Smaug's Lair, Erebor, The Lonely Mountain, The Desolation of Smaug, Rhovanion, Middle Earth
March 24, Year One of the Fourth Age
Day Six. Midday. Misty, cold

Light returns to the lowest, darkest dungeon-halls of lost Erebor.

Entranced by a wealth that cannot be guessed, Glasik pulls down from the wall ancient mithril armor of the dwarves and dons it! (+3 chainmail. Weighs 10 lbs. Non-bulky. AC with shield is now 1.)

At the mouth of the lair, Gilly admonishes her brother's folly. Then she turns and finds a wretched creature like no dwarf she has ever before encountered! Beardless, gaunt, filthy; he wears naught but a loincloth, perhaps due to the sweltering heat of these infernal regions.

Elbenarin remains alert as Rumil and Therone face the forlorn stranger. Folco finds no more dwarves behind him and Gilly replies to him, "Aye, we be real. What about ye? Are ye a ghost of lost Erebor?"

"Bless us and splash us! We are real," the pathetic thing answers as it advances. The thick fumes of Smaug trigger a horrible coughing fit in its scrawny throat. "Gollum! Gollum!"

Meanwhile, among the treasure of the dragon-lair, Elbenwin and Naruthirdor make a grave discovery.

Elbenwin holds it in his hand and gazes deeply into its beauty as The Ring ensnares a new "master."

Too late to seize it himself, Naruthirdor the elven comes alongside him and eyes it with a fierce envy, "The dwarf-rings were consumed by dragon fire. This can only be the One Ring! It holds all of Sauron's dread power... Is that why the Mouth of Sauron journeyed here with the means to identify it? Quickly, let me examine it!"

"No," says Elbenwin as he raises his sword.

Pale eyes flickering with the reflected light of his precious ring, the Dúnedan ranger says, "With this power, I can restore the lost glory of Númenor. With this power, I can defeat the Dark Lord and save Middle-Earth!"

Suddenly and without warning, the mound of golden treasure explodes like an erupting volcano! From beneath the dragon-horde comes the great calamity of Smaug, King Under the Mountain!

Vast beyond reckoning, terrible beyond imagining, the Company tremble at the Return of the King!
(Everyone, please Save on 1d20, and post your actions regardless of the results)

The colossal, fiery cataclysm looks upon Elbenwin and roars, "GIVE ME MY PRECIOUS!"

Actions?!

Map:
One square = 30 feet. Dark circles are pillars.

Behind the DM Screen:

PC Status:
Elbenarin: Male Dunedan Ranger 3: Move: 9", AC: 2, HP: 34/34
Elbenwin: Male Dunedan Ranger 3: Move: 9", AC: 2, HP: 34/34
Folco Boffin: Male Hobbit Thief 3: Move: 9", AC: 2, HP: 16/21
Gilda 'Gilly' Ironfoot: Female Dwarvish Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 32/41
Glasik Ironfoot: Male Dwarvish Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 1, HP: 24/34
Gilwennen: Female Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 2/1: Move: 9", AC: -2, HP: 13/13, Spells: 1/1 1st lvl
Naruthirdor Nowe: Male Elvish Magic-User 2: Move: 12", AC: 9, HP: 8/8, Spells: 2/4 1st lvl
Rumil: Male Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 2/1: Move: 12", AC: 3, HP: 12/12, Spells: 1/3 1st lvl
Therone: Female Elvish Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: -2, HP: 11/31, Torch at feet
Tinuwen: Female Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 2/1: Move: 9", AC: -2, HP: 12/12, Spells: 3/3 1st lvl
Vindoboduoc: Male Man Thief 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 19/19, Torch at feet
Red: Guard Dog: Move: 12", AC: 6, HD: 2+2, HP: 11/11, AT: 1, D: 1-4, THAC0: 16

PC Magic:
None currently.

Player Resources:
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by Urson »

Therone
[1d20] = 18

Therone whirls, shocked to find The Wyrm barely beyond arm's reach. She shoots him with the dragonsbane arrow she has knocked, then rushes to her left, trying for the minimal shelter of the pillar.
FA FO

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#48 Post by SocraticLawyer »

How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by Rex »

Rumil

Save [1d20] = 1

Rumil draws Gaelcrist and charges Smaug.

Gaelcrist vs Smaug [1d20+8] = 16+8 = 24 to hit damage [1d12+8] = 1+8 = 9 damage

Should be 23 to hit and 8 damage.
Last edited by Rex on Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#50 Post by Scott308 »

Glasik Ironfoot

Die, Intruder! Seeing the colossal usurper in his people's ancestral home, Glasik charges headlong at the foul wyrm, Ghal Maraz ready to finally fulfill its purpose after being hidden away for ages beyond counting.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by Starbeard »

Vindoboduoc

Vindo drops his torch and brandishes Birr defiantly, intently thinking that no worm shall bar him from these treasures, and attempts to slip unnoticed along the right flank under the dragon's belly, looking to skewer soft vitals or hamstring the beast.
Last edited by Starbeard on Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#52 Post by Urson »

Therone I held the die roll until I knew the results of the save.

att [1d20+5] = 17+5 = 22 bow NOT including the +4 vs dragons Magic arrows [1d6] = 1+4
FA FO

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#53 Post by ravenn4544 »

Elbenarin freezes as the desolation incarnate, Smaug, flies forth from his hidden lair. He hears his comrades draw swords and attack! He can barely see his brother in the flickering shadows and prays quietly for his safety. His eyes slide to Smaug as his sword raises to strike.

Save [1d20] = 11

Long Sword Attack [1d20+2] = 14+2 = 16 (THACO=18)
Long Sword Damage = S/M: [1d8+2] = 8+2 = 10 / L: [1d12+2] = 10+2 = 12

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by hedgeknight »

Gilda Ironfoot

"By tha beards of me forefathers! It's ol' Smaug himself!" Gilly shouts, wheeling around from the pathetic looking "dwarf." Without even thinking, she hefts Jurgensweld, takes a couple of steps, and hurls the magical throwing axe at the dragon.
Throwing Axe: [1d20] = 9 S/M Dmg: [1d6+1] = 3+1 = 4 Lg Dmg: [1d4+1] = 2+1 = 3 *Inferno: this is the macro I had for Gilly; it hasn't been adjusted for any magical bonuses the new handaxe may have. ;)

Red growls and slinks to the side, getting ready to charge at the dragon.

Save vs. ??: [1d20] = 20
Winter is coming...

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#55 Post by OGRE MAGE »

After nearly soiling himself, Folco tries to stay hidden in the shadows. He keeps the strange dwarf in sight, sneaking up behind him to get a better feel for why he suddenly appeared just as the dragon did.

His hand slips to the hilt of his sword, in case he realizes that the two are in cahoots in some way.

Inferno
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#56 Post by Inferno »

Smaug's Lair, Erebor, The Lonely Mountain, The Desolation of Smaug, Rhovanion, Middle Earth
March 24, Year One of the Fourth Age
Day Six. Midday. Misty, cold

"GIVE ME MY PRECIOUS!" Smaug commands as he suddenly reveals himself in an avalanche of gold and jewels!

Elbenwin stands defiant, sword raised. In a voice unlike his own, the Dunedan ranger snarls, "The Ring is mine, wyrm. And with it, I shall destroy you!"

Smaug's derisive laughter is a devastating sound. “Destroy me?! My armor is like tenfold shields, my teeth are swords, my claws spears, the shock of my tail a thunderbolt, my wings a hurricane, and my breath death!”

The dragon snakes his long neck between the western pillars and his proud roar explodes into a raging conflagration!

The harrowing inferno roils southward, consuming Rumil, Naruthirdor and Gilwennen (23hp damage each) and all three perish from Middle-Earth.

A swath of molten gold spans beneath blackened corpses! Elbenwin could have easily been devoured by flame as well. For some reason, Smaug spared him the fiery death of his adjacent companions!

“Give me My Precious or join the fate of your friends! the terrifying scourge chuckles malevolently.

The Company swallow their fear and counterattack! Tinuwen and Therone loose arrows at vast bat-like wings! One shaft from each bow finds its mark! (5hp damage each) Therone takes shelter from the maelstrom of violence and flame behind a great trunk-like pillar. The ancient, emaciated dwarf joins her, trailed by Folco. "Moves over a bitsy..." the wretch mutters as he watches Elbenwin. "Nasty elveses!"

Gilly the dwarf hurls her ax with all the strength of her arm and it crashes off Smaug's impenetrable dragon-scales! At her feet, poor Red is paralyzed with fear!

Vindo charges the leviathan's flank, driving his magic shortsword to the hilt into the soft underbelly of the gigantic dragon! (9hp damage!)

Glasik joins the desperate charge and hews the vast menace of despair with his enchanted dwarf-ax! Its blade bites deep! (13hp damage!)

Concerned for his brother, Elbenarin plunges into the deadly fray, his storied blade smiting the wicked beast without mercy! (14hp damage!)

Smaug thunders with rage as Elbenwin fearlessly attacks! The Ring in one hand, sword in the other; a shower of sparks erupts in the ringing clash of fang and steel!

Actions?!

Map:
One square = 30 feet. Dark circles are pillars.

Behind the DM Screen:
Gilly, Therone and Tinuwen saved vs Dragon Aura.
Folco, Elbenwin and Red save vs Dragon Aura: [1d20] = 8, [1d20] = 5, [1d20] = 4 All fail.
Gilwennen, Gollum and Naruthirdor save vs Dragon Aura: [1d20] = 4, [1d20] = 2, [1d20] = 1 All fail.

Elbenarin, Elbenwin, Folco, Glasik and Vindo failed and, because they have 3HD, suffer a -1 to hit. The Ring negates this for Elbenwin only.
Gilwennen, Naruthirdor, Red and Rumil failed and, because they have less than 3HD, they either freeze (1) or flee (2):
Gilwennen, Naruthirdor, Red and Rumil: freeze (1) or flee (2): [1d2] = 2, [1d2] = 1, [1d2] = 1, [1d2] = 2

Company surprised? (1-2): [1d6] = 3 No.

Initiative: Good: [1d6] = 1, Evil: [1d6] = 3 Evil wins.

Smaug's breath weapon does 77hp damage. Rings of Fire Resistance reduce 2hp of damage per hit dice, or 22hp. This results in 55hp damage, or 27hp damage if Saving Throw vs Breath Weapon is made.
Save vs Breath Weapon is at +5, due to Magic Rings. Magic armor, and Defensive Adjustment from Dex counts too.
Save vs Breath Weapon: Rumil [1d20+5] = 18+5 = 23, Naruthirdor [1d20+5] = 15+5 = 20, Gilwennen [1d20+9] = 15+9 = 24 All succeed. But it's not enough. :(

Elbenwin and Gilly miss. Tinuwen missed with one of her two arrows.

Of the epic weapons found at the First ElvenKing's Halls:
Longswords, shortswords, daggers, battle ax, and military pick are +2/+4, Dragon Slayer.
Bows are +2. Sling, Throwing Ax, and Arrows are +2/+4 vs Dragons.
All rings act as Ring of Protection +1 and Ring of Fire-Resistance.

Charging (moving more than 1" and attacking) adds +2 to hit and be hit, and can only be done once a turn.

PC Status:
Elbenarin: Male Dunedan Ranger 3: Move: 9", AC: 2, HP: 34/34, -1 to hit
Elbenwin: Male Dunedan Ranger 3: Move: 9", AC: 2, HP: 34/34
Folco Boffin: Male Hobbit Thief 3: Move: 9", AC: 2, HP: 16/21, -1 to hit
Gilda 'Gilly' Ironfoot: Female Dwarvish Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 32/41
Glasik Ironfoot: Male Dwarvish Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: 1, HP: 24/34, -1 to hit
Gilwennen: Female Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 2/1: Move: 9", AC: -2, HP: -14/13, Spells: 1/1 1st lvl
Naruthirdor Nowe: Male Elvish Magic-User 2: Move: 12", AC: 9, HP: -19/8, Spells: 2/4 1st lvl
Rumil: Male Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 2/1: Move: 12", AC: 3, HP: -15/12, Spells: 1/3 1st lvl
Therone: Female Elvish Fighter 3: Move: 9", AC: -2, HP: 11/31, Torch at feet
Tinuwen: Female Elvish Fighter/Magic-User 2/1: Move: 9", AC: -2, HP: 12/12, Spells: 3/3 1st lvl
Vindoboduoc: Male Man Thief 3: Move: 9", AC: 3, HP: 19/19, Torch at feet, -1 to hit
Red: Guard Dog: Move: 12", AC: 6, HD: 2+2, HP: 11/11, AT: 1, D: 1-4, THAC0: 16, Paralyzed with fear

PC Magic:
None currently.

Player Resources:
DM:
The Horror at Briarsgate (1e): Lovecraftian Gothic Horror (N1, homebrew)
Lost City of Eternity (1e): Hyborian Age Sword and Sorcery (B4, JG102, homebrew)
Once and Future Earth (1e): Post-Apocalyptic Sci-Fi Dungeon Crawl (X1, B1, ASE1, homebrew)
Sauron Victorious (1e): Dire Saga for the Fate of Middle Earth (homebrew)

Player:
Agax Gryyg: Gamer of Urth, Ravenloft
Azoth Al-Aziz: Lovecraftian Cultist, Tamoachan
Blodget: Foolish Young 9th Level Hobbit, Dark Clouds
Dredd Doomsmith: Dwarven Deathtrap Engineer, Tomb of Horrors
Elijah Crowthorne: Marooned Prophet, Pirates
Jack in the Green: Ancient Child, Giants
P.T. Codswallop: Larcenous Impresario, Dimwater
Sir Ugghra: Bestial Half-Orc Aristocrat, Brotherton
Swilbosh: Savage Lizard-Warrior, Keep
Tantos Vek: Failed Paladin, Under Streets
Ulfang Chainbreaker: Barbarian Liberator of Slaves, Tharizdun

DM bio is here.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#57 Post by ravenn4544 »

Elbenarin is stunned by the devastation and the smell of charred flesh quickly engulfing the area - his sword strike flies wide!

Long Sword Attack [1d20+2] = 3+2 = 5 (THACO=18)
Long Sword Damage = S/M: [1d8+2] = 4+2 = 6 / L: [1d12+2] = 5+2 = 7

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by hedgeknight »

Gilda Ironfoot

Gilly flinches slightly at the burst of dragon fire, and then grits her teeth in anger at the deaths of her companions.
"Run Red! Get away boy!" she yells as she charges the dragon, swinging her new pick, Arealsar, but having no luck against the beast's thick hide.

Footman's Pick: [1d20] = 7 Damage: [2d4+1] = 8+1 = 9
Winter is coming...

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#59 Post by Urson »

Therone
Blocking out the burnt bacon stench of the dead, Therone sends two more of the dragonbane arrows at the Great Wyrm.

att [1d20+5] = 2+5 = 7 bow

att [1d20+5] = 13+5 = 18 bow Magic arrows [1d6] = 4+4
FA FO

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#60 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Folco thinks about turning to run away. Then he thinks about the friends he would be leaving behind. How would they ever defeat this enemy without his help?

Badly wanting to run to the column and start climbing, to elevate himself for a future head shot, the hobbit doubts any of them will survive the time it takes him to do it. So instead, he grits his teeth, draws his new sword, and charges at the belly of the best, hoping to find a safe spot underneath the things massive girth to poke at, trying to stay out of the range of its deadly breath.

Letopna Attack (+2 Shortsword) [1d20+2] = 8+2 = 10 Damage s/m [1d6+2] = 1+2 = 3 l [1d8+2] = 1+2 = 3

Return to “Sauron Victorious (1e)”