OOC 1

DexterWard
DexterWard
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

OOC 1

#1 Post by DexterWard »

Welcome to The Party. I'm really looking forward to playing some old school D&D with you all.

I fully expect this campaign/forum to evolve as we move forward. While we can't always accommodate everyone's wishes, we will do our best to cover as many as we can within the confines of this particular scenario given this style of play.

The core ideal of this campaign is to create a space where players and DM's can come and go as their schedule/life allows. In that light rather than have a sandbox world that is fixed, we will commence with one-shot dungeon crawls with the potential to create a world/sandbox. Basically to build in an organic fashion as we go based on player preferences.

I will run the first dungeon module which will be an introductory module tweaked for 0-level characters. There will be cookies/threads for the players to act on in subsequent modules if they so choose, otherwise we'll move on to the next DM/dungeon module.

At the heart of any OD&D/0e/OSR RPG is a set of ideals:
  • Characters are fairly simple constructs
  • Players are challenged more than the character
  • Monster-slaying and story-telling takes a back seat to exploration
  • Characters are developed by their actions and interactions more than their stats and class abilities
  • Gameplay favors DM rulings over rules
  • The core RPG is developed and tweaked by all players
  • The encounters are not always balanced with the party level
  • Player skills and ingenuity are tested
  • Players should attempt to outwit or outmaneuver challenges placed in their way

SilverBen
Ranger
Ranger

Re: OOC 1

#3 Post by SilverBen »

Very grateful to be invited to join this group and looking forward to creating memorable adventures with you all!

A quick introduction to me as a player: I'm 44 years old, located in Eastern Time Zone, an American from New Jersey. I began playing sometime around 1984 with AD&D 2nd edition and Basic/Expert Moldvay and Menzer editions. Exploring and developing a shared imaginary world, the collaborative problem solving, and the camraderie in facing challenges are what really make the game enjoyable for me - and I hope for you too. I would love to learn a little more about the other players too, please introduce yourselves.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery: “If you want to build a ship, don’t drum up people together to collect wood and don’t assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea.”

DexterWard
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#4 Post by DexterWard »

Paladin wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:06 pm Nice! I will try to bang out a character within the next day or two.
Sounds good, but remember you won't need a backstory, you'll just need to pick your profession. There is a link to professions in the "Character Creation & House Rules." Should be a fairly quick process. Let me know if you have any questions, the steps in Character Creation are pretty simple, which is an aspect of part of this system.

DexterWard
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#5 Post by DexterWard »

Thanks for the background info SilverBen. I'll post mine here in a bit.

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#6 Post by Bluetongue »

My character Denny is finished and posted in the forum.

The player Greg is still a work in progress. Here is my intro to the Unseen Servant ...

Took my 'moniker' Bluetongue, from a bandit lizardman rogue in an old D&D campaign that I spent my youthful years chasing around the map of Greyhawk courtesy of my equally roguish dad. A generation later Bluetongue lives again to torment a new generation of my family though we moved on from 'red box' 1st to 5th edition D&D, (skipping 4th because it was pants!).

I currently ive in Leicester, G.B, voted 'Brexit', support Derby County, run a forklift truck and mhe instruction company, teach English as a second language and enjoy a few beers of pale ale, dry cider and tex/mex food over the gaming table.

DexterWard
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#7 Post by DexterWard »

Characters are looking good so far. Great work!
I will be adding one of my own to NPC now and play in the future when another DM runs a module.

DexterWard
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#8 Post by DexterWard »

SilverBen wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:06 pm Kindly point me to a tutorial on how to create the character and post the sheet here in the forum. I'm not familiar enough with the site yet.
Thanks for assisting Bluetongue...

Here is a step by step if it helps at all. Let me know if have additional questions:

1) Log into the Dice Roller http://www.unseenservant.com/default.asp?do=home
2) Click the Characters link at the top of the page: "http://www.unseenservant.com/default.asp?do=pcs" and select "Create a New Character" at the top.
3) Click the the link in the "Macros" column
4) Click the "Create a new macro for this character" link
5) Paste one of the following formats into the "Macro text" field
6) Reformat it to match your character. You can add any attribute pluses or minuses here as well within the brackets [ ].
7) Give it a name/description in the "Description" field
8) Click "Aye!"
9) your new macro will show up under that character on the "Roll the Dice" page
10) Poke the gold D20 to the left of your new macro to make the roll.
11) copy and paste the first link under the new roll to your new post.

As for character generation you can follow the steps in the Character Creation & House Rules thread in the Char Gen post. It's pretty straight forward, not very involved.

Once you set up your character in the Dice Roller you will see a gold colored 20-sided dice in the Roll Stats column. You can press that to roll the stats. Once you click it you will choose the 3d6 option from the dropdown menu and select "Aye." Then you can assign your stats as you see fit. The rest is pretty straight forward. Just do your best and we can discuss the rest.
Last edited by DexterWard on Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

DexterWard
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#9 Post by DexterWard »

Reposting here to keep The Party thread clean with only the character sheets. No worries...

Bluetongue wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:14 pm So if you look in the top left hand corner of the page you will see a square box with an arrow and Dice Roller written next to it.

Press on that Dice Roller link.

It takes you to the Unseen Servant dice roller where you create an account, you can use the same login as you do now. If it is the first time you used it, you will have to register first.

The forum has many notes to follow but it is all easy to do.

Then you can create a character and post macro's (dice rolls) and link these to the specific game you are playing.

DexterWard
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#10 Post by DexterWard »

Looks like we're just waiting for Paladin and dice_monkey to post their characters. I have a first draft completed on the campaign module opening. I will try to get a new thread up for it tomorrow so we can get this party started :)

Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#11 Post by Paladin »

I'm 36, American from Mississippi. I went from working for the state's game and fish agency to trapping nuisance wildlife to running a sawmill within a two-month span. Life has been uncertain recently, to say the least.

Started out playing D&D with one of the basic boxed sets. I forget which. But played every edition until I realized 0e is my flavor and prefer it to anything else.

So...hi. In the words of my hero, "I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark-haired women and breakfast food." That's really all there is to know. :lol:

DexterWard
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#12 Post by DexterWard »

Module 1 thread is up. I figure we can just jump in and work things out as we go. If you have questions shout them out here in the OOC 1 thread.

FYI..I was just diagnosed with COVID today. The worst is past though. I had a fever for 5 days straight, now I just feel exhausted. Just letting you know in case I lag 12-24 hrs on my DM posts for the next couple of weeks. I don't know how long this exhaustion is going to last.

As for posting rate, I believe we stated twice weekly. How does Wed and Sat evenings sound? So everyone should have their posts in by those days. I should be able to post replies to answer questions, etc. more often.

SilverBen
Ranger
Ranger

#13 Post by SilverBen »

DexterWard, I'm sure all players would echo my encouragement to take as much time as necessary to ensure a speedy recovery.

A quick OOG question on my most recent post, (viewtopic.php?p=515839#p515839): Tore, my character, intends to safely gauge the depth of the hole if the bottom is not visible. He doesn't trust the structural integrity around the edge of the sinkhole and wants to maintain his distance as he measures.

My question, what would the length of the fishing line be? I defer to your judgement.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery: “If you want to build a ship, don’t drum up people together to collect wood and don’t assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea.”

Nemesis
Guide
Guide

#14 Post by Nemesis »

Hello, all. My name's Nemesis, and I'll be playing Rand (WIP on name but might keep). Looking forward to going on this adventure with you all.
DexterWard wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:16 amFYI..I was just diagnosed with COVID today. The worst is past though. I had a fever for 5 days straight, now I just feel exhausted. Just letting you know in case I lag 12-24 hrs on my DM posts for the next couple of weeks. I don't know how long this exhaustion is going to last.
I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis. You'll get through it.
As for posting rate, I believe we stated twice weekly. How does Wed and Sat evenings sound?
I'm in a position to post frequently on most days, but those days work well for me.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Nice to have you here. This promises to be fun.

Nemesis
Guide
Guide

#16 Post by Nemesis »

Monsieur Rose wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:34 pm Nice to have you here. This promises to be fun.
Thanks! I hope so, too. This will the first game that I finally got into that uses old school rules. I've played 5e D&D for a long time and, over time, found the rules to be too cumbersome.

Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#17 Post by Paladin »

"Verily, my friends, the rumours are true. That there, " Bowb says with a gentle touch of sagacity while pointing with the tip of his staff, "is quite a hole."
For some reason, that got me. I laughed so hard. :lol:

I should be able to post after work tonight.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#18 Post by OGRE MAGE »

:shock: Get well soon, Dex! I hope you don't have any lingering effects. Take all the recovery time you need!!!

As someone who runs a lot of games around here, I would caution against picking certain times that you want players to post by. That never works in PbP. :lol:

A 2 post a week rate is good for me, as I am on here a lot.

Welcome to the newer players, I look forward to adventuring with all of you! :mrgreen:

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#20 Post by OGRE MAGE »

:lol:

Busted. :mrgreen:

Return to “Old School Dungeon Crawls (OD&D)”