The Unforgiving River Okeanos

OGRE MAGE
Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: The Unforgiving River Okeanos

#161 Post by Bluetongue »

Valkrina figured such but suggests the use of drag rope and anchor coupled with a few rotations into the vortex of water would accelerate the ship when loosened if thrown out at the correct angle ...
so the theory goes. Think of those discus or hammer throwers in Olympics.

Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#162 Post by Paladin »

Apollonius

The Atlantean braces himself against the slingshot effect of running the whirlpools, smiling despite himself. He drags in huge gulps of air and grins into the face of the deep.

But why, he wonders still, have so many appeared at once? Is that natural? A niggling unease settles at the back of his mind, but he shoves it aside.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#163 Post by Scott308 »

Euripides Nereos

Terrified of the current events (pun fully intended), the Atlantean is seriously regretting the desire to leave his island home in search of adventure. Right now, being kicked by Vikings to clear him out of the alley where he bunked down for the night seems pretty darn good, and far less dangerous. The fact he will not drown if the ship ends up going down is little consolation at the moment.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#164 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The Voyage Turns Quickly
The River Okeanos
Midday, Warm, Breezy

A02E2224-E83F-4779-8D83-13569F70AD7D.jpeg
A02E2224-E83F-4779-8D83-13569F70AD7D.jpeg (132.61 KiB) Viewed 748 times
Racing through the wake of the second churning whirlpool, the ship is flying so fast that it feels like it might lift up out of the water. By the time it hits the circling motion of the third, a few of the vessels boards begin to crack loudly, with water starting to leak in through the straining planks of the hull. Captain Lazereth still looks crazed, waving his feather wildly and ignoring the ideas from the shouting Valkrina.

With everyone else either holding on for dear life, or secured by ropes inside the ship, Kumaglak finally snaps. He leaps over the fallen Vikings unconscious body and starts for the rear of the ship, stumbling badly, clearly intent on having it out with the one calling out the orders. He leaps for the crazed captain, knocking him sideways and screaming over the tumultuous seas. "STOP THIS MADNESS NOW! WHAT REASON COULD YOU HAVE FOR THIS? ARE WE IN SUCH A HURRY THAT YOU WOULD RISK THE LIVES OF YOUR ENTIRE CREW!" The esquimaux attempts to overbear the captain, trying to pull the feather from his hand, when another sailor dives for the mans legs, spilling him into the bottom of the boat alongside the floundering Lazereth.

The trio begin wrestling around, grabbing and pulling at each other, though preventing the captain from waving his magic feather doesn't seem to slow the vessel in the least. If anything, it seems to be picking up speed through the tumultuous whirlpools. The crew manning the sails stop what they are doing, but don't try to move from their spots on the badly lurching ship. Every one of the crew members has the same look of terror on their faces now, and the common men are screaming out in fear for their lives.

Euripides looks more horrified than anyone else, this being the most dangerous situation he has ever faced in his young life. But somehow, despite the insanity going on all around them, the Atlantean suddenly stops shaking in his boots, his nerves instantly calmed by some immeasurable force he doesn't quite understand. (Can I get a percentile roll form you with your next action please, Scott?)

Actions?

Since I think most of you can see where this is headed eventually, hanging on tight remains a viable action. I promise this will all be over very soon. :twisted:

Apollonius AC:8 5/5 2/2
Kaul AC:6 11/13
Valkrina AC:6 8/8 1/1
Drest AC:7 7/7
Euripides AC:5 7/7 2/2
Xenos AC:5 9/9 2/2
Kumaglak AC:9 5/5 2/2
Hakon AC:4 4/9 1/1
Ragnarr AC:5 -2/13 (Unconscious)

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#165 Post by shaidar »

Xenos

Seeing the reaction of the crew to the situation, Xenos focuses his mind and directs his attention onto Kumaglak, screaming at him a command to "SLEEP!"

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#166 Post by Rex »

Drest

Drest holds on tight.

Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#167 Post by Paladin »

Apollonius

Apollonius holds his peace, one eye on the conflict aboard ship and one on the whirlpools. Which way does the wind blow? he wonders. Regardless, he grabs hold and braces for the ride.

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#168 Post by Bluetongue »

Valkrina

Straps her scrimshaw spear over her shoulder and decides to take some punitive action. I mentioned before she tied a few short seat planks together to use as a float device. Still gripping the rope I would like to whirl it around and plant a plank upon the head of Kumaglak, hoping to knock some sense into him and also allow Lazereth to keep up with fanning his feather.

The spinning ship and whirlpool motion seems to take the thrown lifeguard aId a bit awry.

Valkrina plank headshot [1d20]=3

"Oops!"

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#169 Post by Scott308 »

Euripides Nereos

Knowing death is only moments away, Euripides feels the fear wash away as he accepts his fate. He continues to hold-on tightly, knowing that the end will be upon them one way or the other very soon.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#170 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The Voyage Turns Chaotic
The River Okeanos
Midday, Warm, Breezy

In the extreme chaos of what might be the early end of this journey, Euripides is alone with his feeling of serenity. The rest of his group and all of the crew appear terrified of what is about to happen, and the groaning and cracking of the ships beams and planks is not helping matters in the least. The young Atlantean feels a slight pulsation in his chest, but is otherwise unafraid, awaiting whatever fate is about to deal them.

As the ship rips through the water, quite literally, a fight breaks out at the rear of the vessel. Kumaglak and the captain wrestle around through the splashing water building up in the bottom of the boat. The horrid Esquimaux yanks the magic feather from the captains hand while he in turn tears and pulls at the cryomancers idol, still dangling from his neck by the leather strap. Valkrina tries to use her floatation device as a weapon, but with the violent movements of the ship, she nearly falls into the sea herself.

A quick action from Xenos soon puts an end to that scuffle, when his magical command causes his mate to fall asleep in the arms of the captain, despite the insanity unfolding all around them. Lazereth doesn't waste the opportunity to rip the idol away for himself, staring at it for a moment with wild eyes as he turns it over in his hands greedily. By the time the ship hits the wake of the fourth whirlpool, heading directly for the fifth, it becomes rather apparent that this craft wont survive sailing through another. Planks split and beams snap under the intense punishment from the aggressive wind and water, the fear in the eyes of the crew intensifying with every passing second.

I would like each of you to post a Test of Strength roll. If you were tied off to something, please add a Test of Dex roll as well. Thanks!

Actions?

Apollonius AC:8 5/5 2/2
Kaul AC:6 11/13
Valkrina AC:6 8/8 1/1
Drest AC:7 7/7
Euripides AC:5 7/7 2/2
Xenos AC:5 9/9 1/2 Sleep:6
Kumaglak AC:9 5/5 2/2
Hakon AC:4 4/9 1/1
Ragnarr AC:5 -2/13 (Unconscious)

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#171 Post by shaidar »

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#172 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Just a reminder.....

Tests of _____ are determined by a d6 roll in AS&SH.

Please re-roll those already posted. Let me know if you need to see the charts and I will post them for you.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#173 Post by Rex »

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#174 Post by shaidar »

sorry, here you go:

str: [3d6]=8
pass (17)

DEX: [3d6]=10
just failed (9)

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#175 Post by OGRE MAGE »

That's strike two...... (or 3?) :mrgreen:

It's actually a 1d6 roll.

I will post the charts so you guys can see what I am referring to.

Stand by.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#176 Post by OGRE MAGE »

I posted the Str/Dex page from the book here:

Look it over if you aren't familiar with Tests/Feats. Thanks!

viewtopic.php?p=532267#p532267

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#177 Post by shaidar »

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#178 Post by Rex »

Drest

Sorry OM, confusing your games.

Test of Str (13, 3:6) [1d6]=1

Test of Dex (14, 3:6) [1d6]=2

Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#179 Post by Paladin »

Str 2:6
Dex 3:6

[1d6]=1, [1d6]=3

Apollonius secures his dagger in a tight grip in case he must cut himself free of the splintering ship, bracing and holding on with what strength his frame possesses.

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#180 Post by Bluetongue »

Valkrina

Her usual tests of strength are competing against the fleeing humpback or wrestling a bull elk by the horns, carrying ice blocks for the igloo. Against the wind and raging sea there is no more athleticism needed than just to hold on. Unfortunately she feels the reaper uncurl her fingers as she hangs on for grim death.

Valkrina strength check vs 1-3 [1d6]=5

Return to “Pawns of the North Wind (AS&SH 2e)”