Marduk

The Bindoner
The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Marduk

#361 Post by The Bindoner »

[Raven] turns to Manfred “Well, go on ahead and shove open the inner temple door “nearly priest”. Surely as a false god Sabitum has little more magic than your yet to be invented religion? I see no kraken set against us!” She eyes up the illustrated door and looks about for an approaching Shaman as she says “That's unless you want me to blow holes in it?" By way of critique she adds "Her legs are indeed long but I prefer mine without suckers on them”.
I’m going, I’m going. Pity to ruin the work. Know someone who’d pay good money for stuff like that, might have to price up a copy.

Manfred limps up to the doors.

Following Raven’s critique he cheerfully adds: No accounting for taste, is there? Still, there’s someone for everyone, they say.

Seing no handles, pushes. At his touch the doors swing smoothly inward and the temple fills with the sound of the wash and sigh of ocean waves.

Inside there are three statues in the otherwise empty space. Opposite the door is a stone representation of the goddess from the doors and on either side there are octopus-women, presumably guardians or servants of the deity.

The oceanic sounds fade and the shrine is silent, save the gentle lapping of the small coastal waters. After a moment the sough of deep swells sounds again, carrying the word "enter", rising and falling in a deep feminine tone. The voice sounds as though it comes from all around the shrine at once, rather than any particular place.

Manfred grins, comments Nice. and replaces his helmet. POV recording. he tells Raven.

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#362 Post by The Bindoner »

Ingunn opens the vehicle comm: Checks complete, ready for operations.

Switching to the Serpent's open channel: Last call for Herfjötur, lift-off in five.

Closing her comm she beams back at Áshildr: We gave her a name, now we've fought in her. Do you think Raid Leader Raven will like it?

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#363 Post by Tiglath »

The Bindoner wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:06 pm I’m going, I’m going. Pity to ruin the work. Know someone who’d pay good money for stuff like that, might have to price up a copy.

Manfred grins, comments Nice. and replaces his helmet. POV recording. he tells Raven.
"It's my raid". Raven indicates the doors and grins "If you have the credits I'll sell you these and deliver them into orbit for you as well!"

She seems impressed by the "inner temple" but grimaces at Manfred's explanation. After a moment's cogitation she replies triumphantly "Ha! You can't record a Goddess' voice - it's an imposter!" She warily enters the shrine looking for anything valuable and insecure... and krakens.
Player: Jonathan/Tiglath
Sigrun Volsung, 9B7886, Lt Commander, 3 terms, age 31
Gun Cbt 3 (Rifle 2, Pistol 1), Melee Cbt 1 (Axe), Pilot 1,
Gunnery 1, Vacc Suit 1, Zero G 1, Streetwise 1, Recon 1,
Electronics 0, Grav Vehicle 0
Enemy: Imperial Navy (Lunion) Ine Givar(?)

Legion Lee
Tracker
Tracker

#364 Post by Legion Lee »

Nothing much seems to be going on at the bridge for Leon, Ingrid has things under control so when he hears Raven request for Remington to bring her weapons he sees this as another chance for a bit more shore adventure. Checking with the captain its ok to go Leon will gather his pistol, armor and gets into the Doomslayer just as it is about to set off. Nodding to Ingunn Leon will settle next to Remington. Looking at Remington holding Ravens weapons Leon will lean over and mutter in his ear

Best put the safety on, we don't want you blowing your foot off if we go over a bump now do we?

Pulling out and lighting up a cigar Leon waits for the journey to begin.

Gorethirster
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#365 Post by Gorethirster »

Closing her comm she beams back at Áshildr: We gave her a name, now we've fought in her. Do you think Raid Leader Raven will like it?
Remington shoots Ashildr a look and says quietly "I'm sure a healthy respect for the raid leader is good, but are they always so... puppy eyed?"
Best put the safety on, we don't want you blowing your foot off if we go over a bump now do we?
Mindful of his recent scolding, Remington does his best to ensure that his remark comes off as appropriately respectful, despite it's snark:
"I think if we hit a bump in a grav APC we'll have bigger problems than me shooting my foot off. Like figuring out what we just rammed. Still, I'd appreciate if it you'd double check to make sure I keep both feet in the event of a traffic accident."

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#366 Post by Tiglath »

Legion Lee wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:24 am Best put the safety on, we don't want you blowing your foot off if we go over a bump now do we?

Pulling out and lighting up a cigar Leon waits for the journey to begin.
Sitting close to Remmington Leon will notice that Raven's rifle is a Heavy Advanced Support Weapon variant of the ACR. The weapon has a longer heavier barrel than the standard ACR making the Raid Leader's weapon bigger than everyone else's standard ACR*. It currently mounts a large box magazine carrying a full 100 rounds of belted ammo. This, together with the increased overall length, makes it awkward for Remington to manage in the cramped crew compartment of the APC.

However, Leon's attention will immediately be drawn to the additional weapon decorated with a stylised dragon's head mounted beneath the heavy barrel. What he initially thought was a grenade launcher - isn't. He catches just a whiff of kerosene mixed with other spent products of combustion from the throat of launcher now held within about a foot of his lit cigar. He realises that if Remington has a "twitch" with this particular weapon system in the confined crew section of the APC then the greatest relief for all aboard will be when the vehicle finally hits the ground.

However, Remington works with power plants and drives. Folk in that field are much less prone to the temptation to discover what the big red button does... ;)

(OOC: * :roll: and because Oghma! ;) :D

Is there a particular fragrance Leon is really fond of at the start of the day??? ;)

Image)

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#367 Post by The Bindoner »

Remington shoots Ashildr a look and says quietly "I'm sure a healthy respect for the raid leader is good, but are they always so... puppy eyed?"

Áshildr gives Remington a wry smile; They’re young, and Raven is quite impressive. First raid too. Natural for them to get a bit carried away. They’ll get over it.
"It's my raid". Raven indicates the doors and grins "If you have the credits I'll sell you these and deliver them into orbit for you as well!"
Manfred considers it. Nah, too big. Pity to wreck the place too. I’ll come back and commission some custom jobs, when I’ve got a customer lined up. Or a place of my own.
She seems impressed by the "inner temple" but grimaces at Manfred's explanation. After a moment's cogitation she replies triumphantly "Ha! You can't record a Goddess' voice - it's an imposter!" She warily enters the shrine looking for anything valuable and insecure... and krakens.
Manfred cautions: Don’t know what I’m recording, or not. Mind you, haven’t run across a real god yet either. Still, always a first time. Like I said, think this cult’s got something like one. Doubt it speaks though.

There are no portable items in sight as Raven steps into the shrine.

Ingunn takes the APC (apparently now called Herfjötur) out of the hangar and swings it in an arc out to sea and around the temple, bringing it to rest outside the main door.

As the door opens at the rear Sverrir asks Did you see that? Receiving a No, what? from Hrafn he elaborates: Something underwater, big dark patch. Moving in from the east. Ingunn replies No, didn’t see anything like that. Hrafn confirms Nor me. Cloud shadow probably.

Áshildr looks between the crew for a moment before speaking, assessing. Better safe than sorry. Raven has seen warnings of sea monsters.

Passengers, into the temple, with me. Ingunn, go high, stay over land. Watch.

Áshildr leads Leon and Remington into the temple to find Raven and report Sverrir's sighting. Ingunn lifts off.

If Remington wants to react to the incredibly dangerous weapon he's cradling en route, feel free to insert it :)

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#368 Post by Tiglath »

The Bindoner wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:53 pm Manfred considers it. Nah, too big. Pity to wreck the place too. I’ll come back and commission some custom jobs, when I’ve got a customer lined up. Or a place of my own.
Raven looks at Manfred askance "Is there something that's escaped you about what we raiders do?"

Then, with a last glance about the inner temple, she declares "Of course, they've scoured the place". Turning back to Manfred she declares "Well, the hold's filled so we're away. You are a favoured guest of my Jarl and his Lady and so I came to fetch you myself when you... wandered off. I understand that unsupervised old people do that". She gives Manfred a ruthless smile "So, dodder for it nearly priest! If you like I'll carry you but we are leaving".
The Bindoner wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:53 pm Manfred cautions: Don’t know what I’m recording, or not. Mind you, haven’t run across a real god yet either. Still, always a first time. Like I said, think this cult’s got something like one. Doubt it speaks though.
"What? "Something like" a god?" Raven gives a cold chuckle "Manfred, you are a faithless man - you will surely make an excellent false priest!"

(OOC: Just pausing pre kraken report in case others are pitching in. :) )

Gorethirster
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#369 Post by Gorethirster »

En route, Remington has time to wonder why he's always the one who wins the gopher jobs. Of all the people jammed into the APC, he is the only one not qualified to handle weaponry, and here he is, handling weaponry. Fortunately for him, Frankensteining together a machine that can simulate the conditions within jump space involves a fair amount of components that are, impact sensitive, volatile, flammable, inflammable, pressurized, oxidizing, corrosive, radioactive, or some combination of the above. Rather than think too hard, Remington just reverts to his "part that will kill me" handling protocol: he figures out where it's most likely to jet something hazardous to his health, and then cradles it in his arms. Not like a beloved child, more like an unusually metallic log.

As the motley crew heads into the temple, Remington (sighing nonspecifically) hears Raven's threat to manhandle Manfred and grumbles to nobody in particular:
"This has to be the worst bus tour I've ever taken. The locals hate tourists, all the attractions are on fire, and as soon as you get somewhere interesting it's right back on board. The travel agency is going to be hearing about this. I didn't even get to use my camera." This last comment is associated with a vague wave of Raven's rifle that wordlessly says "why did we come all the way here to deliver this if she's going right back to the ship?"

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#370 Post by The Bindoner »

Raven looks at Manfred askance "Is there something that's escaped you about what we raiders do?"

Oh, I know what yer do alright. That’s why I’d rather buy an undamaged set. More profit than something torn out and thrown in the hold by eager but untrained youngsters
Then, with a last glance about the inner temple, she declares "Of course, they've scoured the place". Turning back to Manfred she declares "Well, the hold's filled so we're away. You are a favoured guest of my Jarl and his Lady and so I came to fetch you myself when you... wandered off. I understand that unsupervised old people do that". She gives Manfred a ruthless smile "So, dodder for it nearly priest! If you like I'll carry you but we are leaving".

Not yet, surely? Thought you were chatting up the wet bint.
* looking at the statues* Well, one of ‘em, anyway.
"What? "Something like" a god?" Raven gives a cold chuckle "Manfred, you are a faithless man - you will surely make an excellent false priest!"

False priest? I’m not sure sure I know how you draw the distinction there.

Anyway, I’ve studied a lot of cults, reckon I’m in line to be a damn good priest. Far as I can see, faith’s the hunger, not the menu. It's what brings in the customers, they're looking for me to titillate it, not provide it. The product’s hope. And a good story.

As Manfred talks, Raven nears the centre of the shrine. Suddenly there is the sound of agitated waves from all around, and the drawn-out sigh of out-going waves. The departing wave-sound carries the words “What do you ask? What do offer?”. A quick glance shows that the shrine is ringed with leaping, splashing water, as though something, or many things, were thrashing around below the surface. The water spills over onto the floor of the shrine, spreading over the tiles. As it flows areas darken, revealing previously unclear designs of tentacled sea creatures.

As Leon, Remington and Áshildr move through the temple they see the doors to the inner shrine swinging smoothly closed before them.

Legion Lee
Tracker
Tracker

#371 Post by Legion Lee »

Leon is chewing on the unlit stub of his cigar and looking around the temple when the door closes in on Raven. Drawing his pistol Leon makes his way to the closed door, it maybe nothing but Leon is on high alert. He will call to Raven Raid leader can you hear me?. If he hears nothing he will wait for Remington and take Ravens gun (he may even pass it onto Ashildr) who is probably better equipped to use it. He will tell Remington to see about opening the door while he and Ashildr covers him.

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#372 Post by Tiglath »

The Bindoner wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:36 pm Not yet, surely? Thought you were chatting up the wet bint. * looking at the statues* Well, one of ‘em, anyway.
Raven smiles coldly "Perhaps she's enjoying her own test of faith". Raising her voice again she calls out "If you are still here I'd get out of the water before your are eaten in your own goddess' trap!"
The Bindoner wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:36 pm Suddenly there is the sound of agitated waves from all around, and the drawn-out sigh of out-going waves. The departing wave-sound carries the words “What do you ask? What do offer?”.
Raven looks Manfred in the eye and says "Are you sure you have it so well understood? You don't have to have a congregation to gain the favour of the gods - you just have to be... interesting!" Then she raises he voice again and with a manic grin shouts her reply into the Temple "I am Raven Sorrow, Raid Leader - I demand everything and I offer only Blood and Death!"

To all in the inner temple she commands "Get back on either side of the doors!"
Legion Lee wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:06 am He will call to Raven Raid leader can you hear me?. If he hears nothing he will wait for Remington and take Ravens gun (he may even pass it onto Ashildr) who is probably better equipped to use it. He will tell Remington to see about opening the door while he and Ashildr covers him.
Raven replies "Leon, this temple is yet another Marduk trap! We're clear of the doors - blow them open!"

She adds "I hear our Shaman at work in the background. Have him continue his abjurations of the false goddess”.

To Manfred and Rúna she says "Prepare to hold back the sea goddess' minions". She unsnaps the strap securing the massive pistol in its holster on her thigh. Smoothly drawing and cocking the weapon she takes it in a two handed grip and looks for targets to the front of the inner temple.

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#373 Post by The Bindoner »

Rúna, sword drawn, backs away from the edge of the temple

Raid Leader, there are lots of thick knobbly hose things wiggling about in the water round this bit. I don’t think they’re threatening, but they look horrible.

She stays a sword and a half away from the water as she moves to cover Raven’s right flank.

Manfred moves to the north side of the door, using the nearest pillar as cover, and raises his Gauss Rifle. He doesn’t shoulder it yet, and keeps the barrel pointed down as he scans the area.

You can’t impress or interest a god, they don’t care. You’ve got to butter up the priest, that's who decides what god thinks of you.

(Part 1, TBC.)

Tiglath
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#374 Post by Tiglath »

From her position by the pillar Raven risks an exploratory reverse kick at the temple doors to see if they will budge.

(OOC: Rather like desperately pushing at a door marked "Pull" it's likewise good to confirm that things suspected of being locked in fact are... ;) :roll: )

Legion Lee
Tracker
Tracker

#375 Post by Legion Lee »

OOC Can Leon hear Raven?

Nevertheless the plan will still be the same. He will get Remington to open the door and with Ashildr cover the door weapons drawn and ready for anything. Leon does not have any explosives, but earlier he noticed some interesting features on Ravens gun which he will point out to Remington who may be able to make use of them.

He will also patch a call to the Serpent telling them of the situation and leave a open com just in case reinforcements are required.

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#376 Post by The Bindoner »

Yes, Leon’s group can hear Raven’s.

There are no walls between them, they could see Rúna and, briefly, Manfred. A person could leap between the temple and shrine, if they wanted to.
Last edited by The Bindoner on Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#377 Post by The Bindoner »

Tiglath wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:41 pm From her position by the pillar Raven risks an exploratory reverse kick at the temple doors to see if they will budge.

(OOC: Rather like desperately pushing at a door marked "Pull" it's likewise good to confirm that things suspected of being locked in fact are... ;) :roll: )
Raven's kick doesn't open the door since, as she thought, it's directing its force against the direction the door opens. It does, however, shift the doors enough to suggest they are not locked closed.

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#378 Post by The Bindoner »

Legion Lee wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:54 am OOC Can Leon hear Raven?

Nevertheless the plan will still be the same. He will get Remington to open the door and with Áshildr cover the door weapons drawn and ready for anything. Leon does not have any explosives, but earlier he noticed some interesting features on Raven's gun which he will point out to Remington who may be able to make use of them.

He will also patch a call to the Serpent telling them of the situation and leave an open comm just in case reinforcements are required.
Áshildr without comment, moves south of the door and draws her pistol, carrying Raven's extra equipment with her other hand. From her position she can see Rúna, most of the shrine, and the sea.

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#379 Post by The Bindoner »

Ragnheiðr, her knee effectively immobilised in a compression/support brace, gathers her gear and, using a spear as a crutch, sets out to join Raven at the temple. Sigmundr attempts to order her to stay on the Serpent until summoned, but she rebuffs him with I’m Raid Leader’s bodyguard, my place is with her.
Last edited by The Bindoner on Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Legion Lee
Tracker
Tracker

#380 Post by Legion Lee »

Noting the door move and hearing Raven's voice Leon decides not to wait for Remington, with a nod to Ashildr and weapon drawn Leon will open the door and join in on the opposite side of Raven.

OOC
Is there a particular fragrance Leon is really fond of at the start of the day??? ;)

Not particular to fried fish!

Return to “Out of Oghma (MgT1)”