Investigation #5: Joker, Roy, & Mac: The Haunting of 601 North E Street

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Investigation #5: Joker, Roy, & Mac: The Haunting of 601 North E Street

#461 Post by Urson »

Joker
Joker sags in relief as the traps are emptied. The last few minutes catch up with him all at once, and he barely makes it to a corner of the basement before he vomits.
Wiping at his mouth, he goes to the Equipment Racks, looking for more traps.

how long will the traps need to recharge? I saw 2 rounds, but I don't know how long a round is.
FA FO

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#462 Post by Bluehorse »

Since we are not in combate I have been treating rounds as approx 2.5 to 5 mins. Mind you that the last trap you put in is currently inside the Containment Unit getting a charge. In order to operate for long enough to trap one ghost and bring it back like you just did, it will take roughly 10mins. (Getting a little Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey here) But considering everything, that is pretty brief. You can RP out anything you want in that time, but basically two rounds will do it and you can begin rushing back.

To the other guys not Mac, your proton packs are also recovered and generating a charge again. I should have prompted that to you but I just realized I did not.

Taaz
Ranger
Ranger

#463 Post by Taaz »

Bluehorse wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:24 am Please, Dr. O'Roarke, we are civilized and educated men, these sorts of nonsense do not behoove us. We should be setting the example for the rest.
Oh we are, eh? Id hardly call your behavior here today civilized, what kinda civilized fella goes around attacking people? Now, I don't know what...or who you are, but I can guarantee you we aint the same Papa Smurf

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#464 Post by Bluehorse »

Urson wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:59 pm Joker
Joker sags in relief as the traps are emptied. The last few minutes catch up with him all at once, and he barely makes it to a corner of the basement before he vomits.
Wiping at his mouth, he goes to the Equipment Racks, looking for more traps.

how long will the traps need to recharge? I saw 2 rounds, but I don't know how long a round is.
Joker is in fact able to find three more fully charged traps on the equipment rack that were not brought on the first trip! is unable to find more traps in the Firehouse.
Last edited by Bluehorse on Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#465 Post by Scott308 »

Lionel "Freight Train" Williams

Assuming Mac to be capable of knocking open the wall, Lionel will stand between the witches and the spectre, trying to shield them the best he can from anything the ghost may do.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#466 Post by Urson »

Joker
I thought we'd taken all the traps we had. Not going to argue...

Joker will grab whatever charged traps he can find and head back- lights and siren again, but not as headlong as before. He's still ignoring speed limits. Come on, katır, let's go help our friends.
FA FO

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#467 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Roy holds up a trap "I have a trap we haven't used.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#468 Post by Bluehorse »

Urson wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:46 pm Joker
I thought we'd taken all the traps we had. Not going to argue...

Joker will grab whatever charged traps he can find and head back- lights and siren again, but not as headlong as before. He's still ignoring speed limits. Come on, katır, let's go help our friends.
I just went back and Urson is in fact, right. 3 Traps used for the Poltergeist from Jason, Lionel, and Mac. Joker used 2 traps in building his field device. and Roy has the last free trap already on his belt.

Sorry about the confusion. It has been one of those weeks and I apologize. Thank you for bringing it to my attention. :) Never hesitate! I need audited now and them :lol:

GreyWolfVT wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:51 pm Roy holds up a trap "I have a trap we haven't used.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#469 Post by Urson »

Joker Editing Joker's actions, based on newest info
Joker is waiting for the traps to charge. In that 10 minutes, he hurries upstairs to collect whatever First-Aid materials the crew has available- bandages, iodine, splints, whatever. He also takes a minute to dump some oil-absorbent on the vomit. When the traps are charged, he heads back- best speed, lights and siren, but not the insane rush he headed for the Firehouse.
FA FO

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#470 Post by Bluehorse »

Urson wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:26 pm Joker Editing Joker's actions, based on newest info
Joker is waiting for the traps to charge. In that 10 minutes, he hurries upstairs to collect whatever First-Aid materials the crew has available- bandages, iodine, splints, whatever. He also takes a minute to dump some oil-absorbent on the vomit. When the traps are charged, he heads back- best speed, lights and siren, but not the insane rush he headed for the Firehouse.
Julia was there and called put. Hey guys, how'd it go...? Wait, what...? she hurries after Joker seeing there is something seems wrong. Where is everybody?
What's happening? Why are you...? First Aid kit...
he can see it click and she jumps into motion, helping him carry the first aid and some other medical supplies without further questioning. She helps get it all into the Ecto and jumps in on the passenger side.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#471 Post by Urson »

Joker
Joker glances at Julia. We went fishing for carp and caught the Loch Ness Monster. This is a dangerous situation- please do not put yourself into it.
IF she chooses to get out, he'll smile. Don't worry.

IF she insists, he'll shrug. Please be as careful as you can- this may become deadly. He'll give her the thumbnail version as they head back to the job.
FA FO

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#472 Post by Bluehorse »

The Haunting of 601 North E Street
The Warlock's Presence.
September 10, 2018, 2:13 pm
Even Colder Inside - Windy outside - Rolling thunder

Joker's Field Device Timer:  15/18
Joker is joined by Julia who holds up a hand. Not hearing it. If the guys are hurt, we are going. she buckles in and twists around to help him back up.
Folks... I usually do not do this, but this time there REALLY and truly are spoilers, BIG ONES, in this first section with Joker. I am going to ask everyone, to please read the section below at the house before looking at the driving section for Joker. Joker, I think you might even want to do that as well. This scene kinda broke, but from a literary standpoint, I think it actually set up a lot of stuff really well for later. Trust me.
I am typing this section after having done all the rolls and writing and I am actually really pumped after the fact with how this turned out. Feel free to call me a moron later ;)

Side Note: I apologize for the confusion about the traps earlier! But I think we have all of that straightened out. Please never hesitate to call me on something.
Click at own risk! ==>
Okay... So the stress from getting the traps back to the containment unit is over. You are still getting the updates from PKE network from the rest of the team. Re-Roll your cool to get your head together, v10 to get rid of the -5 penalty.

We're then going to see how fast you can get back to 601 North E Street. :)

Joker: moves v20 backing out the basement garage.
Suspension roll v20

Round 1 Summary: DMG: 0/25. ETA: 1:00.
Tough: 5/7

Joker: moves v20 Leg 2 down Towsan.
Suspension roll v20
Engine roll v20

Round 2 Summary: DMG: 0/25. ETA: 1:00.

Joker: moves v20 Leg 3 crossing Garrison.
Suspension roll v20
Engine roll v20

Round 3 Summary: DMG: 0/25. ETA: 1:00.

Joker hears the PKE go insane all of a sudden. Even if he can get a glance at it, he will understand something is VERY wrong at 601 North E Street!
Joker: Cool v20 to keep calm. Fail = -5
Joker: moves v20 Leg 4 to 6th Street.
Suspension roll v20
Engine roll v20

Round 4 Summary: DMG: 0/25. ETA: 1:00.

Then the PKE goes 100% quiet. Literally nothing. Cool v20. Success = remove -5 (Regardless of the previous roll, potential bonus!) Fail = -5 (Stackable)
Joker: moves v20 Leg 5 to North E Street.
Suspension roll v20
Engine roll v20

Round 5 Summary: DMG: 0/25. ETA: 1:00.
Engine: 6
Suspension: 6
Tech: 6

Talents that might apply here are Brakes.
The penalty will be Old Shocks.

DMG:
0/25.
Roy indicates he has an unused trap and holds it at the ready.

Mac hears his proton pack become ready like the rest of the team as finally, even his indicator light goes off while he tries to moves around the Blue Phantasm. The specter turns and looks at the large man and sighs looking up for a moment before turning towards him once more. I suppose I should have expected this. You are all rather single-minded. It is a shame, really. I genuinely have enjoyed our time together.
Are you all sure you are not willing to simply leave?
he actually pauses a moment as if waiting for a reply.
Taaz wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:57 amOh we are, eh? Id hardly call your behavior here today civilized, what kinda civilized fella goes around attacking people? Now, I don't know what...or who you are, but I can guarantee you we aint the same Papa Smurf
Meanwhile Lionel places himself between the ghost and the witches.

Blue Phantasm I see. Well, then hopefully this will convince you... The figure raises his cane and slams it into the floor. The thunder outside seems to amplify in that moment and there is an outward wave of shadowy black light that arcs out in all directions. Despite it seeming almost in slow motion, it is still too fast for everyone to react in time. As the arc of black light makes contact with those standing around the Phantasm, the pain is horrific. It is so cold.... so so cold... like all the warmth is leached from your body in that instant, taking your breath away and causing your heart to seize for a few beats. All your muscles cramp at once, making all living flesh feel the tension of rigor mortis in that instant, contorting your bodies as if you were riddled all at once in complete arthritis.

Blue Phantasm Mass Targeting [1d100]=96 :shock: He only misses one person... :lol: Wow...
Blue Phantasm Drain Person v20: [8d6]=25 G: [1d6]=1 G: [1d6]=3

I will say that Lionel is standing in front of Elizabeth and shields her. Everyone needs to roll muscle to soak. No Ghost on this roll of course.
If you can break 20 you take only half damage, if you break 40 you only take 25%. Of what? Your total BPs. Meaning that Mac, who has 113 BPs, just got drained of 75% of them, meaning that pre-roll he is going to be reduced down to 29 BPs (I always round up because I am that kind of GM.) If he breaks 20 on his soak roll, he will only lose half putting him at 56 BPs. Should he break 40, he will only lose 25% which means he will be at 85. There is not a single witch that can make even the basic roll on this one, so they all take the full 75% drain. Magic is fun. :SAN:

This is a major attack. Not even going to sugarcoat it. I am hoping the odds will remain in your favor!

Jessica, Kelly, Elizabeth, and the other witches stop their chant, but only Elizabeth seems untouched and looks around at the reactions of everyone else. She goes wide-eyed in shock from what she sees and then glares at the Phantasm, pushing Lionel aside and putting her hands down near her belly and drawing them up with both her good and crippled hand, she then thrust them at the specter with an angry scream.

Elizabeth Casting (Pushing herself):
E-M Casting v10 [5d6]=20 G: [1d6]=3 G: [1d6]=1 G: [1d6]=5

A blast of magic that is different than what she or the others had used before hurdles through the air and strikes the Phantasm just as the wave of his own spell pulls back into him and he seems to be savoring what he has gathered.

Blue Phantasm Oh, this is very nice... Maybe I should... AAAAAAAHHHHHH!! he screams in pain as the golden light Elizabeth throws at him strikes him mid mass and suddenly his image destabilizes. If anyone is able to see their PKE, the readings are going insane, jumping between extremes.

Then there is a pop..... and silence.

The Phantasm is gone.

Looking around everyone looks pretty beat up. Elizabeth is on the floor.

Joker, I was not expecting the rolls to work out quite this way, but Joker would be rolling in at about this time either way. I would still like the rolls so that we can see what kind of damage (potentially) to the ecto. I am at the time I write this portion, adding in the note that your PKE goes crazy and then quiet, I think you will enjoy the humor and attempt at "realism" I am adding that I am sure you have already read at this point.

Inventory:   
Ecto: 1 PKE Extention for Phones, PKE Extention, Ecto Goggles - M, 1 Slime Blower, 1 Sniffer
======================================================================
Jason: Phone, Proton Pack
Lionel: Phone, Proton Pack
Roy: Phone, Proton Pack, Trap, Ecto Goggles - M
Joker: Ecto Keys, Phone, Traps x3 - no charge. Will need 2 full rounds in the Containment unit to charge each before meeting minimum requirements.
Mac: Phone, Proton Pack, Ecto Goggle - A.
Witches: Mary Duncan's Book of Shadows, Hex Bag
Joker's Field Generator: Sandwichboarded to the Livingroom Floor. [Proton Pack, PKE - A, 2 Traps cobbled together for a Field Generating Device]

Phylactery?
Brownie Point Spending:
None.
Witches = -75% to Damage.
Elizabeth = -13 Reflection Damage.
Ghostbusters = -75% Damage (Pending for Soak Rolls, Figured next post.)

Actions?
Brownie Point Pool:
Dr. Jason O'Roarke: 175/214 @@
Lionel 'Freight Train' Williams: 159/188 @
Roy O'Dowd: 131/157 @@
Dzjokar "Joker" Jelal: 193/260
David "Mac" McAuslan: 113/191

Jessica: 11/75
Kelly: 13/75
Elizabeth: 34/75

@ = One free re-roll without ghost die.  Merry Christmas 2019 & 2020!

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#473 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Roy wondering what the heck just happened before he can even reply to the phantasm tries to recover from the attack.

Muscle: [3d6]=5 G:[1d6]=4 well shoot used the wrong macro... :shock:
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#474 Post by Bluehorse »

GreyWolfVT wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:21 pm Roy wondering what the heck just happened before he can even reply to the phantasm tries to recover from the attack.

Muscle: [3d6]=5 G:[1d6]=4 well shoot used the wrong macro... :shock:
No worries. Even if you rolled a 1 on that dice, it would in this case just be a normal dice with a 1 on it.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#475 Post by Rex »

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#477 Post by Scott308 »

Lionel "Freight Train" Williams

Stunned for a moment and in intense pain, Lionel knows he has to play through it. Gritting his teeth, he reaches for Elizabeth to help her to her feet, his hands shaky and his breathing ragged. That was...that was incredible! He will then check on the other witches, helping them stand if they are able.
Lionel's Soak roll:
BP for Muscle: [10d6]=29
Muscle: [4d6]=11; Ghost Die: [1d6]=3
I can't remember if we are allowed to use BPs on Soak rolls, so ignore it if I cannot do so.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#478 Post by Bluehorse »

Scott308 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:01 am I can't remember if we are allowed to use BPs on Soak rolls, so ignore it if I cannot do so.
It's a gray area, honestly. I think I will allow it since you are basically gambling to potentially lose more than you spend.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#479 Post by Rex »

Mac

Since you are allowing BP (I didn't think we could for soak) I will add some in.

+7 BP to Soak [7d6]=20

40 total

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#480 Post by Bluehorse »

Rex wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:57 pm Mac

Since you are allowing BP (I didn't think we could for soak) I will add some in.

+7 BP to Soak [7d6]=20

40 total
Yeah in this case since we are just now making a ruling on this idea (especially since I am making up the rules to this magic system a little at a time as well) I will allow a post roll addition of BPs for this round where I usually wouldn't. But in the future I would like all SP spending to be done up front.

If anyone is wanting to roll BPs for the soak roll against the spell, go ahead and do it. In the meantime, once Joker post his rolls, I will work on the next post from my end. If need be, I can make further adjustments to BPs after.

Return to “Mission Archive”