The Grand Tournament (Scenario 0)

Ithril
Ithril
Ranger
Ranger

Re: The Grand Tournament (Scenario 0)

#261 Post by Ithril »

If no one is going to question Guiomar Tindantar regarding his weapon choice... I'll continue.

I

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#262 Post by Rex »

Nope.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#263 Post by ravenn4544 »

Pebble wouldn’t. He’s a country boy that sees a fancy bow. He wouldn’t mind having it tho ;)

Ithril
Ranger
Ranger

#264 Post by Ithril »

Guiomar Tindantar step to his mark, and fires the arrows with a deftness that belies his age, and shaking in his arms.
His first arrow is a direct bullseye, 20=5, 12=2, total 7, 20 (Bullseye)=5, total 12, 20(Bullseye)=5, total score: 17.
archery shots for Guiomar, Pebbles second opponent [1d20+6]=18+6=24[1d20+6]=6+6=12[1d20+6]=15+6=21[1d20+6]=18+6=24

Pebble tries his best, scoring as follows:
ravenn4544 wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:55 pm [1d20]=17 [1d20]=9 [1d20]=19
and the fourth arrow
Ithril wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:22 am[1d20]=18
Pebble's shots are much better now that he's better acclimated to the contest, but not to the measure of the old veteran, and he scores as follows:
17=3, 9=1, total 4, 19=4, total 8, 18=4, total score 12

Fortunately this does not leave him entirely out of the competition, and he has a match among the loser's brackets.
Pebble's third opponent in the match is a spritely young fellow with bright eyes, and a lithe frame by the name of Rarwing.
His scores are as follows: 13=2, 12=2, total 4, 9=1, total 5, 14=2, total score: 7.
archery shots for Rarwing, Pebbles third opponant [1d20]=13[1d20]=12[1d20]=9[1d20]=14

Pebble scores as follows:
ravenn4544 wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:55 pm [1d20]=16 [1d20]=10 [1d20]=2
and the fourth arrow
Ithril wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:22 am[1d20]=14
for the following score:16,=3 10=2, total 5, 2=-10, total -5, 14=2, total score: -3.

Unfortunately this eliminates Pebble from the competition altogether.
Dispirited with his loss, but hopeful for the next competition, you gather and head towards the jousting field where the armed team combat will begin shortly so that you can choose from the supplied competition weapons.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#265 Post by Rex »

Conweena

"I am ready for this, I think anyways."

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#266 Post by Darithe »

"Well I think you are ready," Traesta says after wishing her a good morning. She has donned her armor and a mace is belted at her waist and her shield is strapped to her back. "I got us a few warm biscuits," she smiles handing out two to Conweena.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#267 Post by Rex »

Conweena

"Thanks, I think you are right. We are ready!"

redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#268 Post by redwarrior »

Dorath follows along, distracted by thoughts of the log rolling even. When we get to the combat yard, he will look hopefully for a sling and stones/bullets. Which I don't expect he'll find If there is such an offering, he will snap it up. If not, he will look for several blunted daggers, and finally for a quarterstaff if there are no other options.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#269 Post by ravenn4544 »

Pebble is disappointed in his performance but still proud of his abilities displayed. He holds his head proudly as he departs the field. He makes his way over to the team tournament to see what kind of weapons will be used. Blunted blades? Wooden switches? He tries to get familiar with any weapon as he has only ever used dull swords and felled branches as a young kid sparring with his friends.

Ithril
Ranger
Ranger

#270 Post by Ithril »

Pebble Doesn't seem to hear the onlookers watching the competition as they grumble about Guiomar Tindantar having an advantage, but he leaves the field heading towards the next competition which may be more favorable.

At the arming racks near the entrance to the jousting field where the competition will take place you find all sorts and manner of weapons made safe for the competition. Unfortunately for those wishing to have the advantage of ranged weapons, this will be a hand-to-hand competition, so arrows and slings are not in the offing. Otherwise you all can find the proper weapon type of your choice, though again, they are all made as safe for competition as possible.then you all realize Harker is unexpectedly ... absent!

Bear with me a moment. I may have a new player for Harker.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#271 Post by Rex »

Conweena

"Where is Harker?"

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#272 Post by Darithe »

At Conweena's remark, Traestra looks around to see if Harker is nearby. "I don't know. It's hard to keep track of men. They're always so easily distracted," she remarks with a grin.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#273 Post by Rex »

Conweena

Chuckling, "True."

Ithril
Ranger
Ranger

#274 Post by Ithril »

Within the arena two sets of combatants are squaring off in a heated contest. Several members of each group have been disqualified, and the couple remaining contestants are in an exciting match, and seem to have similar levels of skill. There is a crowd of spectators, and they often erupt in loud cries and hails as the battle turns on the tactics of the contestants.

Near the entrance to the arena, you find the rack of modified 'safety' weapons. As you're browsing the selection (which has a broad variety of weapons, and several duplicates of the more popular options, Harker returns. If asked he says something about having a talk with his liege.

Igber has selected a pair of daggers woven from thin strips of pine wood. Likewise, Harker finds a good replica of his sword, long and well weighted in spite of it's composition of softened green pine wood.

As you each find suitable weapons to match weapons you are familiar with, a great hail comes from the stadium. The final blow has been struck, and the challengers have failed to overcome the Duke's champions, though the match was close. One of the arbiters who judges the competition comes out, and asks if you are ready, with your selection of weapons. Behind him trails the previous challengers; a group of 4, led by another member of the city guard. From their talk, they are companions who he put up for the challenge, and they are impressed with the skill of the team, not less with their professionalism.

The arbiter tells you that they will need some time for the Duke's champions to prepare for the new match, and to wait there until you are called. He takes note of the weapons you have chosen. After he reviews the rules of the combat with you, and ensures any personal weapons you may have are given to the other caretaker who is tending the collection of contest weapons, he returns to the arena to perform his other duties.

Please take a moment to make a choice in the next scenario poll I put up. so far I have only 3 votes, and they are all for different options. Everyone can make two choices. Hopefully that will make the final decision obvious. Thank you also for the kind comments about my jewelry. I appreciate it.

redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#275 Post by redwarrior »

Dorath arms himself with a couple of wooden daggers. He considers a staff, but decides to stick with the daggers, he might be able to hit with them before he gets pummeled into submission.

Voted in poll.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#276 Post by Rex »

Conweena

Conweena selects a battle axe and checks its swing.

Voted

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#277 Post by Darithe »

Traesta selects a mace and shield, if one is available or she allowed to use her own.

OOC: Voted.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#278 Post by ravenn4544 »

Pebble looks through the weapons laid out. He looks quickly side to side when he sees a number of them that he has never seen before, or has any idea how to wield them.

He tries a few longsword type weapons and finds one that just feels good in his hands. That seems a good way to select his weapon.

Ithril
Ranger
Ranger

#279 Post by Ithril »

As you look overt the selection of the weapons available, the attendant goes over the rules for you. Fortunately the types and sizes are adequate for all of your selections.

Combat will be limited to 5 rounds, 10 minutes each. These weapons are designed so as not to inflict serious wounds, but accidents are always possible, so beware. Your opponents, sergeants of the Dukes guard, well trained and decorated. We have 10 in the arena, however six will compete against you. should some of you stand aside, the number of your opponents will be equal. (6vs6, 5vs5 etc. you could even pare it down to a 2vs2 combat if you so choose.) You are allowed to wear any armor you see fit, but we do have leather hauberks and medium shields if you desire, which is what your opponents will be wearing. Helms will also be required. he says pointing out the arrangement of odd leathern caps to protect the ears and skull from serious injury.
Any of you who sustains a 'hit' will be considered out for the round. The team... (He sees Traesta looking over the weapons, and points out a weapon similar to a mace with a heavily padded striking end) ...with the most challengers still standing will be declared the winner of that round. Best three of five matches wins the competition, though no one has beat them yet; they are well trained. he says with a wry smile, emphasizing the "are well" part of that last sentence.
There will be a judge in the match to determine fair 'hit's. You are to avoid striking him. He will remain neutral and separate from the combat. His call is final. These Tabards will help the judge recognize successful hits, the sergeants are wearing similar tabards as well.

With that he points out the tabards for you to don, and gives your names to the caller so that you can be announced for the next round.

Regardless of your actual armor, the contest will be judged for hits against players wearing leather armor, with or without shield as you choose, with your ability adjustments of course. A natural roll of 1 (critical fumble), or 20 (critical hit) will score actual damage (1d4) in spite of the protections provided, and will take up to 2 to 7 days (1d6+1) to heal. Any other hit will score 1 hp of bludgeoning damage which will heal in 1 to 2 days.
Results of a critical fumble (natural roll of 1) are that the weapon is destroyed and unusable for the rest of that round. Another weapon will be provided for the next round.

I'll make a battlemap. Let me know if I've left anything out, or if you have any questions.

(Edit to add: Although the luck of the roll will be paramount, I will also be taking descriptions and tactics into consideration for your attacks. Attacks with a good description will garner more favorable results than simple "I'll hit it again" will.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#280 Post by Rex »

Conweena

Conweena takes a shield and the leather armor. Getting herself ready she dons the tabard. "I am Conweena. Do you score points if you break their shield? That is common where I am from."

Return to “Dooms of Evisath (2e)”