The Grand Tournament (Scenario 0)

Ithril
Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: The Grand Tournament (Scenario 0)

#281 Post by Darithe »

Traesta dons the leathers and picks up the weapon indicated as well as grabbing a shield. She sets the shield down while getting the helm and pushing back her dark hair before pulling it on. Then she picks up the shield, "I am Traesta," she announces to the referee, "But you can call me Victor."

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#282 Post by Rex »

Conweena

Conweena chuckles at Traesta's comment.

snarkdogg
Runner
Runner

#283 Post by snarkdogg »

Harker grabs a longsword from the piles of weapons. He raises his sword in a mock salute to Traesta, "To the victor."

Ithril
Ranger
Ranger

#284 Post by Ithril »

Shortly I will post a higher resolution battlemap for your convenience.
Rex wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:25 am Conwenna asks "Do you score points if you break their shield? That is common where I am from."
The attendant is taken aback by your boldness, and has to catch his breath and steal his strength back. "I... uh... You are not where you are from. These weapons will not break a shield. But in that unlikely event, the judge will make the decision. "

He passes your names to the crier, and returns to his other duties.
As your names are announced, you are let into the tilting grounds, and 6 opponents await you in a chalked square near the large blue tent. A judge waits near the square, and he goes over the rules, much as the attendant did earlier, with the added stipulation that you may not leave the chalked square. Nearby is another attendant poised to strike a gong to begin the combat.
Shortly, from the purplish dyed tent near the corral 6 opponents approach. Marching in cadence, they make a bee-line to the opposite side of the combat area. Four of them wear a tabard of bearing the crest of Duke Eldred, and two bear the Seal of the Sentinels of Paldon on their tabards.
The Dukes guard are all holding broad swords, standard for their duty but one also has a war hammer available. Each of them also has a dagger for a secondary weapon, and they have medium sized shields to compliment their armor. The Sentinels of Paldon each have a war hammer, though one also has a mace stylized in the way of the Sentinels so that it has the profile of Paldons symbol from any direction. Each of the bludgeoning weapons are padded much as Traesta's mace is. The six of them make a resplendent troupe in the late morning sun.

Ithril
Ranger
Ranger

#285 Post by Ithril »

tournament map1.jpg
tournament map1.jpg (1.65 MiB) Viewed 810 times
Here's the battle map. If you want to download it, and move your tokens around for simplicity of explaining desired moves, that's fine.
Let me know if you have any questions or requests.
Yellow circles are the sergeants of the guard; blue circles are Sentinels of Paldon, the gray circle is the judge

Ithril
Ranger
Ranger

#286 Post by Ithril »

As the judge is going over the rules for you, you can see your opponents quickly huddle for a moment. It is obvious they are considering strategy. When the judge is finished, he asks if you have any questions before the competition begins, the crowds are loud and raucous in their cheers, and you have to concentrate to understand what he is telling you. Above you to your left is Duke Eldred, his courtiers and advisers, diplomats and other officials from foreign lands, and of course his family.

If you do, post them quickly. Otherwise, I'll need initiative rolls (1d10) asap.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#287 Post by Rex »

Conweena

Initiative [1d10]=6

She will advance straight ahead and attack when she can.

Battle Axe [1d20+1]=3+1=4 to hit [1d8+3]=8+3=11 damage

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#288 Post by ravenn4544 »

Pebble also advances to the one directly in front of him. Strategy is not something he is used to.

Init [1d10]=7

Attack [1d20]=18

Long sword damage [1d12+2]=4+2=6

redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#289 Post by redwarrior »

Dorath moves forward, hoping to harry the one that pebble is attacking. He attempts to lunge in from the side, but is shown off balance, almost falling, as Pebble's sword flashes in front of his eyes!

Dagger THAC0=20 [1d20]=3 damage [1d4]=2

Edit, forgot we were doing individual init
init [1d10]=8
Last edited by redwarrior on Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snarkdogg
Runner
Runner

#290 Post by snarkdogg »

snarkdogg
Runner
Runner

#291 Post by snarkdogg »

Harker

Harker charges the largest member of the other team swinging his wooden long sword.

Attack [1d20+1]=10+1=11

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#292 Post by Darithe »

Traesta gives her fiercest war cry swinging the padded mace and rushing toward the man (#6) opposite her.

Initiative: [1d10]=10

tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#293 Post by tarlyn »

"I drained the soul of a monk once....... It tasted like Chocolate."

Ithril
Ranger
Ranger

#294 Post by Ithril »

Working on the first round and adjustments for tournament equipment which is different than your regular garb, so it changes your movement and ac a bit.
This is how I have it calculated. If you need any details or changes, let me know.
tournament stats.jpg
tournament stats.jpg (176.42 KiB) Viewed 725 times

Ithril
Ranger
Ranger

#295 Post by Ithril »

The Judge of the contest finishes his regulations for you. Your line of opponents reassemble as the judge utters a ceremonial prayer invoking Paldons blessings on the combat, and walks off the field. There is a few tense moments as you await the signal to begin. The men bearing the Dukes royal crest goad you with rude comments which are cheered by the crowds, but the two Sentinels remain silent, as if deep in meditations. The moment seems to stretch on to forever.

Unexpectedly, the timekeeper strikes his gong, and the combat begins!

Harker, poised and alert easily anticipates the beginning of the round and charges forth, bounding most of the way across the field in a spectacular charge before his opponent is quite prepared. They meet near the far end. His chosen opponent, Dextel stands easily 6 inches taller than Harker, and obviously taller than anyone else on the field. Dextel feints a move, goading Harker into a strike that is parried easily.

On the opposite end, Yovann is as quick as Harker, and meets Traesta in almost the opposite corner of the arena. He brings his weapon in a wide ark meeting Traesta's shield too perfectly. (https://www.unseenservant.com/index.ph ... 3&macid=0) "Fair maiden, I thank you for the fine victuals you provide for this occasion" He says with a smile between his grunting efforts.

Jarrod and Scott are almost as quick to act as Harker. Scott is easily as quick though and meets Pebble close to the center of the combat area. His attack is slow and wide, almost announcing to Pebble the angle of his attack, and Pebble easily counters the blow. It's as if he's testing the mettle of his challenger.
(https://www.unseenservant.com/index.php ... 79&macid=0)
"You're a slim one for a competition like this" he says. "Beware my hammer, there won't be much left of you when it strikes!"

Jarrod charges directly at Dorath, who is frozen for a moment at the suddenness and brutality Jarrod presents. An open mouth roaring violence in the charge.
Jarrod underestimates Dorath's hold of his staff. He strikes it full on with the broad sword, and the sword slides down the length of the staff, shattering in the process.
(https://www.unseenservant.com/index.php ... 34&macid=0) The sharp splintered edges of the weapon hit Dorath in his arm, and his shirt offers no protection from it.
(https://www.unseenservant.com/index.php ... 81&macid=0)
The pain of the wound (DM fiat: 2 hp) catches Dorath by surprise.
(note: I'm really getting absolutely awful rolls.)

Klarvan follows Jarrod, and meets Conwenna nearly at the center of the arena with an attack that is swift and sure. As Conweena directs her swing, she feels the bite of his weapon finding it's mark before she even realizes he made the strike.
(https://www.unseenservant.com/index.php ... 82&macid=0)
Conweena's axe falls against Klarvans shield as he expertly blocks her strike.

Igber takes the field, more carefully than many others, but his opponent is not prepared for the round to begin, and charges the arena late.

Pebble searches his goading opponent, and is able to find an opening. He drives his sword into his opponent, and the goading ceases. (No need for damage rolls unless you get a 1 or 20, in which case it's 1d4, otherwise all hits score a single point of damage, and you're not going to kill these guys with mock/padded weapons)

Dextel cannot find an opening against Harker, and fails to strike. (https://www.unseenservant.com/index.php ... 75&macid=0)

Dorath, wounded by Jarrods broken sword cannot effectively return a strike, and he nearly loses his staff trying. He looks down and realizes his blood has made the staff slick!

Traesta seems entranced watching Harker stand, and then charge like stallion, but then remembers she has a hand in this combat too, and charges the field late, scolding herself for allowing the distraction.

At the sight of Dorath's wound, the timekeeper strikes his gong, and the champions break combat. Several aids charge the field with bandages ready to aid Dorath. Jarrod stands over Dorath, as they come. He's dropped the fragments of his weapon, and helps Dorath to the ground and immediately checks the damage of the wound, apologizing profusely. These are supposed to be 'friendly' competitions after all; no one wants a serious injury.

Igber & Traesta still have an action before this round closes. Please state your intentions and roll as needed. I may have to edit/revise this later..
tournament map2.jpg
tournament map2.jpg (1.6 MiB) Viewed 722 times

tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#296 Post by tarlyn »

Igber

Igber sizes up his opponent and waits until the last possible moment before reacting. Standing in a defensive posture, with a dagger in his right hand

he feints stabbing at his opponent's chest. His real attack is he will attempt to kick him right between the legs then knock him out!

Ithril
Ranger
Ranger

#297 Post by Ithril »

Kick attacks are considered a wrestling move, but they are valid, though they are handled a bit differently from regular combat.

I will need you to roll 2, d20 attack rolls for wrestling. The first will determine the success of the attack, the second will determine the result of the attack as per Players Handbook, pg 97.
If you need details of these rules, let me know and I will let you know where can find them.

tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#298 Post by tarlyn »

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#299 Post by Darithe »

Traesta replies to her opponent, Yovann, "Tis a pleasure to serve you. How about some more?" She strikes with her mace but apparently the swiftness of Yovann has unnerved her.

[1d20]=3

Ithril
Ranger
Ranger

#300 Post by Ithril »

As the blows within the arena are resolved, cheers and howls of encouragement run through the crowd which is enjoying the battle.
Igber feints, and tries to distract his opponent, Keith with the blade of his dagger, but Keith sees the subterfuge, and blocks the kick Igber has planned for him anyway. The unconventional tactic, however throws Keith off balance, and his attack fails as he strikes the earth with his mace. (https://www.unseenservant.com/index.php ... 64&macid=0)

The gong sounds as soon as Dorath's injury is registered with the judge, and catcalls erupt in the crowds. Some amazed at the courage of a man to oppose the champions without armor, others naming his choice as foolish in rude terms.

The aidgivers come to attend Dorath, first dousing his wound in salted herbs that sting, but deter infection, then wrapping it tightly to stanch the bleeding. Even so, the bandage quickly gains a crimson stain.
The champions retreat from the grounds, to allow the healers their space to work, and for Doraths friends to support him. After a few minutes, the bandaging is finished, and you are told to reassemble as you started. the wound, though grievous, is considered a fault.
Dorath has the opportunity to stand out of the competition, which will also eliminate his opponent. Conweena, however, has been eliminated. Pebbles opponent, Scott, has also been eliminated.

Make another initiative check, announce your intentions, and roll for attacks

Return to “Dooms of Evisath (2e)”