[Closed] 5: Midway Quiet Village

Starbeard
Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: 5: Midway Quiet Village

#41 Post by Leitz »

Given the amount of sniffling, Kunpu will see if the village herbalist has anything he can afford. If he has enough to get something for the others, he will.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#43 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Exploding 10 [1d10] = 9
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by Starbeard »

Midway Quiet Village, Beiden Pass [map]
Early Afternoon (Hour of the Horse)
"Luck Day" in High Week, 5th of Long Month [calendar]
Weather is snowy and mildly wet, threatening downpours

Rangaku warmly accepts the trade from Aiko and tenderly runs his fingers along the flute. “What a cherished gift! I am afraid you have the poor end of the bargain, but hopefully this chime will still prove useful and reveal the beauty of the world around you, if just a little.”

Senichi receives the spool of plain silk thread with another cryptic message. “A practical man you are! A good spool of thread is necessary if you wish to protect your clothes from wearing out too soon!”

You walk up to the quiet village shrine, making sure to stay to either side of the path so that the gods can reach the temple unobstructed. You pray, ring the bell and enter the chamber, place your coins in the coffer and light sticks of incense, pray again, and meditate to the sound of rain pattering on the roof. You are cold and sniffling, and plagued with too many thoughts—only Osaru the quiet ronin is able to clear his mind and restore his chi.
(Osaru fulfills one of his two activities to get over his cold)

Exiting back out into the rain, you search the village for the shugenja Arai Toshimoto, who might know something of the black scrolls you secretly carry with you.

As you expected, there is no samurai reeve in the village. The elder is a peasant in his prime named Hewiziro: a sinewy, dour man with the same bumpkin accent as all peasants from this area, sounding at once uncultured and overly Shakespearean. His large, walled lodge is the only defensible building in the whole village (if it can even be called "defensible"), and it is much more frugal and spartan than the comfortably furnished lodgings of the elder of Soft Wind Village. The shugenja Arai Toshimoto of the Fox Clan has lived in his lodge for a few years now, tending to the needs of the shrine and village—just from looking at him you can tell that the best furnishings in the house are his, though he is still small money compared to those of you from major Clan families. Another spartan guest room has recently been filled by your traveling acquaintance Kitsune Shōe, also a Fox shugenja. Apparently the two shugenja are old schoolmates who have not seen each other for years, and have been enjoying the opportunity to catch up.

The three of them greet you in the function room; they had already heard of your arrival while you were still at the shrine and were well prepared for your visit. Headman Hewiziro formally offers the village's resources to you during your stay, and has already had rooms prepared for you just in case. He is almost the exact opposite of Soft Wind Village's elder: terse, blunt, and impatient to get down to business. The shugenja priest Arai Toshimoto is lively and fiery, with a tendency toward sardonic laughter at his own sarcasms and jokes; the two make a strange pair, but by all accounts the village does well by them. Kitsune Shōe is as you remember him: a pious giant brimming with every emotion but humor.

What would you like to ask them? At Kunpu's request about herbs and remedies, Arai explains that the monks up at the monastery should have plenty of those, but he himself also has access to a purification spell that will cleanse a suitably honorable person of ailments, stitches and unwanted spirits. With a smirk and glance at the rain outside, he also explains that it is a taxing ritual he shouldn't attempt more than once a day, and it should be performed in sunlight.

GM rolls…
Saburo meditation roll (1k1 vs TN 20): [1d10] = 4, fail

登場人物
  • Kenta, monk: TN10, Init +2, naginata 7k4 (DR 6k3) | Hnr 2;7, Wnds (6) 0;0 | Void Pts 4/2 (sniffles)
  • Kunpu, (Scorpion) ronin: no armor (TN10), Init +2, katana 4k3 (DR 5k2) | Hnr 1;5, Wnds (4) 0;0 | Void Pts 4/2 (sniffles)
  • Matsumoto Senichi, Unicorn shugenja: TN10, Init +2, wakizashi 4k3 (DR 4k2) | Hnr 3;2, Wnds (4) 0;0 | Void Pts 4/2 | Spells: F3 - A2 - W3 - E2 (sniffles)
    • Saburo (peasant retainer): 3E/3W/1F/1A/1V | TN5, Init +1, DR 1k1 | Hn 2;7 - Gl 0;0 - Wnds (6) 0;0 | Void Pts 3/1
    (sniffles)
  • Mirumoto Aiko, Dragon bushi: no armor (TN20/5), Init +3, daisho 7k4/6k3 (DR 4k2) | Hnr 3;7, Wnds (4) 0;0 | Void Pts 4/2 (crippled left arm, sniffles)
  • Yoshida Osaru, ronin: no armor (TN15), Init +3, katana 6k3/6k3 (DR 5k2) | Hnr 2;7 Wnds (4) 0;0 | Void Pts 4/2 (sniffles, 1 success)

"Sniffles" = cannot regain Void points until you can do 2 out of these activities: spend a full day by a fire; spend another full day by a fire; pass a medicine check vs TN 15; pass a meditation check vs TN 20.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by Rex »

Kenta

"Thank you for your kindness, resting by the fire in your wonderful lodge would be excellent in this weather, I fear I have caught the sniffles. Perhaps after a rest I could help out around the lodge, perhaps with the firewood."

Kenta will rest by the fire if possible.

GreyWolfVT

#47 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Osaru humbly accepts the gambling dice...if it is not too late
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by Leitz »

Cold heartache protects,
alone. Perhaps despair flees
encouraging Spring?

Kunpu grinned at Arai's comment. "On the brightest of summer days I would not survive the spell. Would the monastics spare us enough of their bounty at a reasonable price?"

Even his meager purse should cover enough for all of them, Kunpu mused. It had been fun to walk back into the village in the daylight. He had been there before, in the previous weeks, but now the possibility of betrayal added import to his insights. He smiled at each person the group met, wondering if they played some hidden part in the plan.

Falling slightly behind the others in the group was easy; he deferred to the samurai like everyone else. Even those in the village who knew him would equate the samurai as a higher status, and give them more attention. Thus giving him a moment to observe well without being under the same scrutiny.

He glanced at Aiko-sama. Likely she would smack him if he overly played the subservient. He moved closer to the group. They had gone through trauma together, and were in many ways bonding as a family. They were brave and honorable; Kunpu wanted to earn their respect. Yet the socially approved path was not open to him.

He glanced at Aiko-sama again, and let the joy warm his heart.
Last edited by Leitz on Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Captain Kinkajou
Ranger
Ranger

#49 Post by Captain Kinkajou »

Aiko

In the function room, Aiko bowed respectfully to the Headman, to Kitsune Shōe and to the Fox Clan shugenja, Arai Toshimoto. "Let us speak plainly, as allies," she proposed, predominantly addressing Arai Toshimoto but glancing sideways at Shōe before continuing. "No doubt you have been informed of what happened at Soft Wind Village. My companions and I have only recently come into these mountains, arriving for this year's festival, but we have already witnessed and heard of much that is troubling; A strange howling on the wind, a darkness that spreads corrupting tentacles from somewhere deep within the pass, oni skulking in the night, omens of the dead rising from the lake, and more." She watches carefully for any hint of reaction. "It is said that you know many things. So, do you know of what I speak? My friends and I come to you as honourable folk, for ourselves and on behalf of Lord and Lady Nasu, who have graced us with their hospitality. We seek wisdom and understanding, and a way to set things right and bring an end to the evil that festers in these parts. Can you tell us anything that would help this?"

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by Starbeard »

GreyWolfVT: Yes, Osaru is definitely still able to grab the gambling dice. They are a set of five six-siders, with a variety of symbols on them: some are numbered, some have seasons or directions of the wind, or the elements. They are common throughout the Emerald Empire for playing all sorts of different games of chance. Rangaku warns you “Not to play dice with cheats and curs. They have a way of sapping the luck from you.”
(That’ll be 5 silver bu, please!)

Midway Quiet Village, Beiden Pass [map]
Early Afternoon (Hour of the Horse)
"Luck Day" in High Week, 5th of Long Month [calendar]
Weather is snowy and mildly wet, threatening downpours

The rain continues to patter onto the roof and form a grey curtain against the window. The square fire pit off to one side of the room is stoked and going strong, filling the chamber with a comforting warmth.

Arai Toshimoto laughs at Kunpu’s joking retort. “Indeed! Honesty with oneself is quite a virtue, perhaps my spell would work better on you than you expect. Although I would not get my hopes up: after all, I have never known the spell to work on a Scorpion.” His continued laughter makes it clear that Arai holds a certain amount of contempt for Scorpions—not all that surprising, given his heritage within the Fox Clan.*

“I do not think the monks would ask for much in payment, at least not if you come as a guest of another monk,” he adds, nodding toward Kenta. “They might ask you to join a meal or two, and clean your own quarters.”

When Aiko pushes herself forward to sit in the position of address, and speaks plainly about the disturbing events and omens of Beiden Pass, the headman Hewiziro nods gravely, lost in thought. Arai Toshimoto takes it upon himself to speak first: “These things are all true. It is no secret that the Strange Howling has returned to feed on the minds of the corrupt, and its appetite now seems insatiable. Gossip travels quickly here as well, and we have already heard of your battle with a fearsome oni, and the uncovering of an unspeakable cult of evil.”

Hewiziro suddenly butts in with his usual no-nonsense manner. “We also have word of the dead growing restless in the Lake of Sorrows. There is a small fishing hamlet along the lake, and those with relatives there are whispering that the fisherman have seen the dead walking along the shore. But I do not see how we can help. We are just a village.”

“They want information, Hewiziro, not an army,” Arai scoffs lightly. He explains to you, “The rumors about Sakemono are plentiful and… fanciful. Some say The Strange Howling keeps its lair is in the mines of The Village with Hot Stones. Some say it is a demon god of the Naga, springing forth from some hidden holy ground of the pagan age. Others say that Lord Nasu himself is a vampiric creature of the night! Then there are the fisherman of the Lake, who say the Howling can often be heard echoing across the Lake, circling over the cold water and calling mockingly to the dead below—but they always blame the Lake for everything.”

Arai then bows solemnly to the floor and beseeches you to take up his offer. “These people come to me for purification, and I do my best to keep this village cleansed of corruption. I hope you do not take it as an affront to your own shugenja’s abilities that I offer my services to you freely: I have some small expertise in cleansing and exorcism rituals, and the shrine is well maintained and stocked with all the necessary accessories. Whatever aid you need, I will do my best to give.”

In the meantime, Hewiziro quietly and curtly welcomes you to stay by the fire pit and warm yourselves, and rest as you see fit.

*History lesson: The Fox are a minor clan, nestled in the southern foothills of the Spine of the World Mountains next to the Scorpion. They were once one of the Major Clans—when the great kami Shinjo left Rokugan to wander the northern wastes, those of her tribe who stayed behind became the Fox Clan and prospered as the rightful stewards of Shinjo’s people for 800 years. When Shinjo’s descendants returned 200 years ago and settled as the Unicorn Clan, the Fox were demoted to “minor” status and have been diminishing ever since. Their historical status is the only reason the Scorpion have not dominated them outright, but every generation that passes, the Scorpion encroach more and more on the Fox, who see them as bullies and invaders.

登場人物
  • Kenta, monk: TN10, Init +2, naginata 7k4 (DR 6k3) | Hnr 2;7, Wnds (6) 0;0 | Void Pts 4/2 (sniffles)
  • Kunpu, (Scorpion) ronin: no armor (TN10), Init +2, katana 4k3 (DR 5k2) | Hnr 1;5, Wnds (4) 0;0 | Void Pts 4/2 (sniffles)
  • Matsumoto Senichi, Unicorn shugenja: TN10, Init +2, wakizashi 4k3 (DR 4k2) | Hnr 3;2, Wnds (4) 0;0 | Void Pts 4/2 | Spells: F3 - A2 - W3 - E2 (sniffles)
    • Saburo (peasant retainer): 3E/3W/1F/1A/1V | TN5, Init +1, DR 1k1 | Hn 2;7 - Gl 0;0 - Wnds (6) 0;0 | Void Pts 3/1
    (sniffles)
  • Mirumoto Aiko, Dragon bushi: no armor (TN20/5), Init +3, daisho 7k4/6k3 (DR 4k2) | Hnr 3;7, Wnds (4) 0;0 | Void Pts 4/2 (crippled left arm, sniffles)
  • Yoshida Osaru, ronin: no armor (TN15), Init +3, katana 6k3/6k3 (DR 5k2) | Hnr 2;7 Wnds (4) 0;0 | Void Pts 4/2 (sniffles, 1 success)

"Sniffles" = cannot regain Void points until you can do 2 out of these activities: spend a full day by a fire; spend another full day by a fire; pass a medicine check vs TN 15; pass a meditation check vs TN 20.
Last edited by Starbeard on Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by Rex »

Kenta

Kenta will visit the monks and offer his services to them.

GreyWolfVT

#52 Post by GreyWolfVT »

GreyWolfVT: Yes, Osaru is definitely still able to grab the gambling dice. They are a set of five six-siders, with a variety of symbols on them: some are numbered, some have seasons or directions of the wind, or the elements. They are common throughout the Emerald Empire for playing all sorts of different games of chance. Rangaku warns you “Not to play dice with cheats and curs. They have a way of sapping the luck from you.”
(That’ll be 5 silver bu, please!)
Updated information and removed 5 Bu and added the dice.

Osaru having not paid attention to the conversation stands about looking like a statue. honestly have no idea what to do right now and not really paying attention to all the conversations.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#53 Post by Leitz »

Rex wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:30 pm Kenta

Kenta will visit the monks and offer his services to them.
If Kenta is agreeable, Kunpu will join him in visiting the monks.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by Rex »

Kenta

Kenta has no issue with that.

GreyWolfVT

#55 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Osaru having second thoughts actually speaks up "How about something for the cold most of us have? Perhaps it would be wise of us to seek out some medicine to treat it. Also Shota I mist locate him before he takes anymore lives."

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#56 Post by Starbeard »

Alright, I promised a big scene change, but as I was getting all deep into the post I looked at the game calendar and realized an oopsie! So now you have to make yet one more choice before we move on:

When Osaru asks about the ronin Shota, the Village Headman Hewiziro informs you that he was in fact here. He stays maybe 1-3 times a year at Hewiziro's house, but Hewiziro claims to be pretty unfamiliar with the ronin. It's plausible he's telling the truth: anyone of noble status would automatically stay at the Village Headman's house since there's no inn here, and a ronin would be more likely to stay here than at the castle; and while the Village with Hot Stones up ahead does have inns, it's much cheaper to pull rank and bum a room from the Village Headman. In the end, there are probably quite a few ronin who use the village as a regular stopping point along the Pass, to stay for a week or two resting their feet, and as long as they don't cause trouble or eat too much then there's no reason for Hewiziro to do anything but show them hospitality.

(A hidden awareness check for the party gives you the impression that he is probably too boring to lie about this, and likely doesn't know Shota very well.)

Unfortunately, you also just missed him: Shota left literally this morning as you were coming down from the castle, and was headed for The Village of Hot Stones. Hewiziro says he mentioned something about looking forward to spending some lazy time at his favorite bathhouse, soaking in the water and gambling. The way he talked made it sound like he planned to be there a number of days, or even a couple of weeks, before moving on.

Here's the choice, then: the Monastery and the Lake of Sorrows are up the mountainside to the South, while Hot Stones Village is a few hours north along the Pass. Opposite directions. Do you want to track down Shota right away, or heal up at the monastery and gather up occult information there first?

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#57 Post by Rex »

Kenta

Kenta will leave the decision up to Osaru, but will follow his lead.

GreyWolfVT

#58 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Osaru while he wants to hunt down the enemy Shota decides it might be best to heal up first and gather what information they can and set out the next morning. "It may be my main goal to hunt Shota down but for now it is probably wiser to rest, heal and gather information then set out after him."

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#59 Post by ffilz »

Yes, let us restore ourselves and then seek out Shota.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#60 Post by Rex »

Kenta

"Then rest it is."

Return to “Roleplaying in the Emerald Empire (L5R)”