2. A Peaceful Village in the Hills (action)

tibbius
tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: A Peaceful Village in the Hills (action)

#221 Post by tibbius »

ybn1197 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:55 pm Could Elzarune cast something similar to a flare at the apex of the room?
When you ask a question like that, could you also please just roll at the same time? :biggrin: Elzarune gestures magnificently and intones a few sibilant syllables ... a blinding flash of light pops into and out of existence at the peak of the cavern, leaving throbbing blue shadows behind.

The now-familiar low and sinister cackling tickles your eardrums. It seems to be traveling the circuit of the chamber, accompanying the creaking rockers of the chair.
That annoying deep-noted distant bell peals again, but this time none of you really care. Its vibrations don't touch you.
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Squid
Tracker
Tracker

#222 Post by Squid »

Wraith

Wraith reaches into his pack to retrieve a torch. "Grax if we both have a torch, maybe we can drive this nuisance into a location where we can finally see and attack it." Holding the torch toward Elzarune, "Can you do me a favor and set this alight?"

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#223 Post by Rex »

Sealgair

Sealgair will sniff around and see if she smells anything of use.

Smell [1d6] = 5 [1d6] = 6 [1d6] = 2

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#224 Post by tibbius »

Sniffing clears Sealgair's head from the distractions of the creaking fiend.

A family of bears lived here recently - mother, three cubs. Father visited occasionally. They left spoor in the corner by the left wall, they came in and out through the low crawl at the right wall. They had their midden at the far wall, there are many bones there.

The rocking chair creaks around in the shadows, avoiding Sealgair's nose.
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#225 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Grax having no real heightened sense of much looks around.

Regular [1d6] = 1 [1d6] = 3
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#226 Post by Rex »

Sealgair

"Not that bit helps us, but this was a bears den."

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#227 Post by tibbius »

Wraith and Elzarune get the second torch to light. By moving apart from Grax, the trapmaster dispels some more of the shadows. The creaking of the rocking chair is silenced. It must be in the remaining shadows, either at the left end of the cave, or at the far wall - if it still is in the cave at all.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#228 Post by ybn1197 »

With Wraith and Grax each holding a torch and moving apart, Elzarune decides to light his torch as well and move into a triangular position to light as much of the den as possible.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#229 Post by Rex »

Sealgair

Sealgair moves to the center of the triangle of light.

"We should move as a group so no one is in the shadows."

Squid
Tracker
Tracker

#230 Post by Squid »

Wraith

"Good idea Sealgair." Wrath moves out from the group but not too far that his torch doesn't cast light on the group. As he moves out from the center, he scans the room for any sight of the chair or creature.

perception: [_3d6] = (2+4+5)=11

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#231 Post by tibbius »

As Wraith approaches the edge of the room, his torchlight casts back the shadows to reveal a hunched figure in a pale wooden antique rocking chair. The figure raises its head and stares at him with empty sockets. Its face remains rigid but a shriek of anger echoes through the cave.

The chair rocks wildly and skitters along the wall, as if seeking an exit that it can't find.
I was gonna have the fiend flee through shadows but ... that doesn't make sense given how well you've planned to get rid of the shadows.
What do you do?
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#232 Post by Rex »

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#233 Post by tibbius »

With the full weight of her body behind them, Sealgair's heavy paws crash into the thing in the rocking chair. The chair splinters. Her blows toss the thing limply aside. A certain sense of barely felt dread dissipates.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#234 Post by ybn1197 »

Elzarune casts a spark of flame at the creature's corpse to ensure it does not rise again.

Elzarune: Spark [_3d6] = (1+6+2)=9

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#235 Post by Rex »

Sealgair

Sealgair searches around for anything it may have left behind. "Nasty thing, whatever it was."

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#236 Post by tibbius »

Flames ripple swiftly across the heap of tattered cloth and jutting bones. In the steady light of your torches, a filament of smoke writhes up toward the ceiling of the cavern.

This part of the adventure is ended. Roll to see what you find in the cavern.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Squid
Tracker
Tracker

#237 Post by Squid »

Wraith

Wraith looks around the room to see if he can find anything of interest.

Perception: [_3d6] = (5+6+1)=12

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#238 Post by ybn1197 »

Elzarune looks around the room to see if he can find anything of interest.

Perceptive: [_3d6] = (5+6+2)=13

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#239 Post by Rex »

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#240 Post by tibbius »

The cavern is empty of loot. But as you search, Elzarune and Wraith recall the stair from the main room went up as well as down ... perhaps there are heirlooms in the attic?

You hasten up the basement stairs, past the deserted main level, through a curtain of cobwebs into a high-ceiling attic ringed by arrow slits. The floor boards creak under your weight but hold firm.

Rummaging boxes and chests, you find:

A suit of heavy armor that is embellished with a finely engraved image of a crow flying through a dark passage. As Wraith kneels to trace the lines, the lines swirl and change to a tall slender man plunging a rapier into the body of an immense hairy spider.

A blade of metal dark as obsidian, glistening and unnaturally sharp. Its edge draws a drop of blood painlessly from Wraith's thumb; the blood seems to be absorbed into the blade.

A handaxe forged from a single piece of steel, its sturdy handle fitted with thick bone grips held on by discolored rivets. The bone grips are brown like they came from roasted meat.

A warhammer with a thick oak handle, its bronze head in the shape of a snarling bear crouched on all paws ready to charge.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Return to “Traversing Tiny Dungeons (Tiny Dungeon)”