IC: Chapter 1

The_Wanderer
The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: IC: Chapter 1

#261 Post by The Bindoner »

shaidar wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:59 pm Jonas nods "Yup, we're the negotiating team..." he trails off and looks around "...although I could have sworn there were more of us. I guess they couldn't take the heat" he shrugs "Your friend, Rex is it, well he's got the confidence and patter that's true, but he seems a little pushy, we're not looking for a new boss. I guess that having more than one pilot is a good thing. What about your other friend? I could discuss it with the others and see what they say. What sort of cut were you thinking of?"
Ekaterina chooses her words carefully: Rex is a person of strong opinions. He speaks for himself, not me or Askor.

There is no takeover here. Our contract with Ms Malik is up, it seems. I am offering help on equal terms. We join forces. You say you have pilot, well, I am a good pilot. Fighter pilot. I flew interceptors, strike craft, and I shoot straight. That is not important though. You are negotiating a sale. That I know a little of. Since I went freelance I buy and sell things and deeds. I think you are trading in both.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#262 Post by shaidar »

Jonas

"I can see the benefit of joining forces. The talky ones of our group seem to be the ones that have vanished, so you we may have to lean on what skills you have, with our help of course. Let me speak to the others."

At an appropriate point Jonas will speak to the others about Ekaterina's suggestion. Even with trade-0 I think she has the most suitable skill :) but Alix seems to be doing a good job. At this point I assume we can hand-wave any more questions about Ekaterina and Askor joining, it's just a question of chief negotiator.

Lance
Ranger
Ranger

#263 Post by Lance »

The_Wanderer wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:43 pm "I am currently cross referencing the data I have to find a location where I can settle permanently that is connected to the modern world but perhaps not reclaimed by a major force. The work is proving...difficult."
Askor thinks for a moment "Only the spaceports have been reclaimed on Hussaru as far as I've heard. The world - my home - lacks a government."

The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#264 Post by The_Wanderer »

Lance wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:01 am
The_Wanderer wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:43 pm "I am currently cross referencing the data I have to find a location where I can settle permanently that is connected to the modern world but perhaps not reclaimed by a major force. The work is proving...difficult."
Askor thinks for a moment "Only the spaceports have been reclaimed on Hussaru as far as I've heard. The world - my home - lacks a government."
"Thank you for this recommendation. I have research to do."

The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#265 Post by The_Wanderer »

The girl Sem was sitting in the corner of the room, near to the door but off to the side; literally a wallflower blending in with the surroundings. The government negotiator entered the room, shaking hands and introducing himself to the rest of the crew. As he finishes his introductions, he senses her presence. Sharif cocks his head to see over the rest of the crew, apologetic look on his face for missing introductions to one of their number. "Allow me to apologize for missing you..."

His words catch briefly and he clears his throat. He mouths Sem... before catching himself. "As I said Miss, my name is Sharif Katib, entrusted agent to The Blood and the Planetary Government of Mer." His stare lingers on the woman for several seconds, clearly thrown off by her presence. Eventually his attention returns to the party and the table.

"As I said, 800,000 credits is quite a sum. We hope that Ms. Malik considers this offer." He again resumes his welcoming approach to the party to begin negotiations.
That is my attempt to introduce Sem. I leave it to the party to come up with fiction to involve her...or not. So there is no confusion, Sem and Sharif know each other to some extent. Not enough to really affect the negotiations...but enough to be kind of interesting for me. :)
On that note, I also will not be posting in game regarding Rex's departure.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#266 Post by Marullus »

Sem freezes totally still as she is noticed, motionless as a rabbit. Her hand hovers inside a celophane package of Orangations Cheez Crisps, her hoodie pulled up around her pixie-cut platinum blonde hair. Her eyes are fixed on Sharif Katib as he makes eye contact and falters... when he does so, shelights up, breaking into a wide, open smile.

She keeps her eyes utterly fixed on Sharif as he turns nervously back to the rest of the group. She perches cross-legged on a chair that leans back on two legs against the wall, her worn canvas backpack tucked behind her. She slowly - very slowly - raises her hand as the others talk, placing a triangular orange chip in her mouth. Crunch-unch-unch. Then wipes her fingers on her red Galactacola t-shirt.
That's a great drop-in. :) Thanks!
Sem Chips.jpg
Sem Chips.jpg (94.93 KiB) Viewed 992 times

Faanku
Ranger
Ranger

#267 Post by Faanku »

Shion Kuznetsov

800k? There's lowballing your opening offer and then there's threatening to put an end to negotiations before they've even begun. Some of the pretech in that bunker was worth that much per unit, and there's no way they don't know it. And they should know we know they know it, unless... The technician, at an appropriate time in the conversation, will put forward a small dossier she prepared regarding the pretech from the bunker's inventory sheet. Besides some of the pretech, Shion has listed of T4 devices that could be considered vaguely comparable to the much more advanced T5 equipment, as well as their factory production cost. Most of the numbers are 6 figures long.

"We would advise our employer to sell the contents individually if that's your best offer." she states plainly, her expression as deadpan as ever but clearly stating for them to start with a more reasonable opening bid.

[3d6k2] = 9+3 = 12 Fix to make accurate comparisons.

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#268 Post by The Bindoner »

Ekaterina sighs disappointedly and leans back. 800 is not a valid opening bid, it does not meet the principals reserve price. In fact it makes you look amateur, as though you have no idea of the value of the thing you are here to buy.

In a friendly manner: A simple purchase at fair price now would be a fine start to an ongoing friendship. Our client is offering you this trove, and asks fair compensation for the time, trouble and expense invested in bringing it to the table. If it proves not worth the effort what incentive is there to come to you with the next find?
"We would advise our employer to sell the contents individually if that's your best offer." she states plainly, her expression as deadpan as ever but clearly stating for them to start with a more reasonable opening bid.
Or sell the address to another broker for more than you offer. There are others who would welcome the opportunity to be the next person to sell you the asset. Of course, they will add their fees to the price.

Skill Roll vs Trade [2d6] = 7 +1 CHA = 8

The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#269 Post by The_Wanderer »

Faanku wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:38 pm Shion Kuznetsov

800k? There's lowballing your opening offer and then there's threatening to put an end to negotiations before they've even begun. Some of the pretech in that bunker was worth that much per unit, and there's no way they don't know it. And they should know we know they know it, unless... The technician, at an appropriate time in the conversation, will put forward a small dossier she prepared regarding the pretech from the bunker's inventory sheet. Besides some of the pretech, Shion has listed of T4 devices that could be considered vaguely comparable to the much more advanced T5 equipment, as well as their factory production cost. Most of the numbers are 6 figures long.

[3d6k2] = 9+3 = 12 Fix to make accurate comparisons.
The Bindoner wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:35 pm Ekaterina sighs disappointedly and leans back. 800 is not a valid opening bid, it does not meet the principals reserve price. In fact it makes you look amateur, as though you have no idea of the value of the thing you are here to buy.

In a friendly manner: A simple purchase at fair price now would be a fine start to an ongoing friendship. Our client is offering you this trove, and asks fair compensation for the time, trouble and expense invested in bringing it to the table. If it proves not worth the effort what incentive is there to come to you with the next find?
Or sell the address to another broker for more than you offer. There are others who would welcome the opportunity to be the next person to sell you the asset. Of course, they will add their fees to the price.

Skill Roll vs Trade [2d6] = 7 +1 CHA = 8
Mr. Katib taps his fingers on the table, listening to the opening comments. His only reaction is a wide smile. "I see your point and I respect that you are not here to merely accept an offer. You should know however that LEGALLY speaking, you are required to turn over these items to the Government. This is clearly in your and Ms. Malik's interest, especially with the more dangerous items. Regardless, we do not want to have to chase down illegally liberated antiquities if we can avoid it."

He then picks up the technical comparison from Shion, nodding sagely at the contents. "I appreciate your homework here...and am impressed with the detail you have been able to find."

He looks around the table gaze stopping on Alix, Jonas, Askor and Sem.

Please get your first round negotiation post in. I'll move this forward to round 2 as soon as we get a little more to work with or on Monday- whichever comes first.
Last edited by The_Wanderer on Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#270 Post by shaidar »

Jonas meets the gaze of Mr Katib

Well, LEGALLY speaking you're very welcome to try and find the place yourself. Before you ask, we do not know the location, care was taken to hide that from us. We are simply go-betweens. Besides, do you really want the hassle of going down that route, it'll very likely cost you more than just paying a fair rate for it. "

Lance
Ranger
Ranger

#271 Post by Lance »

Askor doesn't have much to add, so he spends his time shifting his gaze between Katib and Sem, trying to decode their body language.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#272 Post by Marullus »

Sem remains still, positioned so that there is an unobstructed line of sight to Katib. She stares, intensely, never breaking contact with the man.
"This is a life changing sum of money and it is not without some hesitation that we in government are willing to make this offer to one who has Ms. Malik's...background and occupation."
"...a life changing sum of money," Sem repeats poignantly. This isn't the first time he has said these words to her. The irony is apparent in her tone, and sadness.
The Bindoner wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:35 pm Ekaterina sighs disappointedly and leans back. 800 is not a valid opening bid, it does not meet the principals reserve price. In fact it makes you look amateur, as though you have no idea of the value of the thing you are here to buy.
"...times Seven." Her voice is a deliberately loud whisper, her emphasis on the second word clear, but strange, as if saying a code and not a number.

The Bindoner wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:35 pm He looks around the table gaze stopping on Alix, Jonas, Askor and Sem.
Sem is boring holes in Katib with her eyes until he finally looks at her, deliberate eye contact. Her entire demeanor softens abruptly and she holds out a forelock of her platinum blonde hair that she was twisting on her finger. "I... I have hair now," she states conversationally, blushing and looking down for just a moment, as if no one else where there.

The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#273 Post by The_Wanderer »

shaidar wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:30 pm Jonas meets the gaze of Mr Katib

Well, LEGALLY speaking you're very welcome to try and find the place yourself. Before you ask, we do not know the location, care was taken to hide that from us. We are simply go-betweens. Besides, do you really want the hassle of going down that route, it'll very likely cost you more than just paying a fair rate for it. "
I'd like you to be making a roll to see if you can aid - absent that, I'll make the roll for you and say Talk+Cha which is 2d6-1:
[2d6-1] = 5-1 = 4
Katib looks at Jonas and says, "Noted. I also do not believe you that you do not know the location but no worries. What would I do, capture you and interrogate you until you tell the truth?"
Lance wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:20 pm Askor doesn't have much to add, so he spends his time shifting his gaze between Katib and Sem, trying to decode their body language.
There's definitely something weird going on between them. Either they know each other or have heard of each other...or something else.
Marullus wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:15 pm Sem"...a life changing sum of money,"
"...times Seven." Her voice is a deliberately loud whisper, her emphasis on the second word clear, but strange, as if saying a code and not a number.
Sem is boring holes in Katib with her eyes until he finally looks at her, deliberate eye contact. Her entire demeanor softens abruptly and she holds out a forelock of her platinum blonde hair that she was twisting on her finger. "I... I have hair now," she states conversationally, blushing and looking down for just a moment, as if no one else where there.
Katib turns toward the strange young woman, his face is an emotionless mask.
"Times 7? That is 5.6 million credits. No no that is too much but I applaud your aggressive stance...I see you have negotiated with the government before."
He ignores her other comment however.
Round 1 complete - I have Ekaterina as the main negotiator and Shion aiding. Askor abastained, no post from Alix, Sem failed and Jonas failed.
Total = 8 +1 = 9
"I will raise the offer to 1 million credits and I will tell you this is nearing the limit of what I can offer on my own. Much higher and I will need government approval which may drag this out unnecesarily." The small man drums his fingers on the table and gives the party a self-satisfied smile.
Round 2: Final round, same rules - main negotiator makes a roll and the others support. Roll high and get a big bonus. For the mathematically inclined, it is not a linear scale. High levels of success equate to increasing rewards. Remember - your roll does not have to be talk or trade or connect or whatever probably makes most sense. Shion had a good example of this in the first round.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#274 Post by shaidar »

Jonas frowns when the man calls him a liar and decides it's best he keeps his mouth shut rather than telling the man what he thinks of him.

The Bindoner
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#275 Post by The Bindoner »

"I will raise the offer to 1 million credits and I will tell you this is nearing the limit of what I can offer on my own. Much higher and I will need government approval which may drag this out unnecessarily." The small man drums his fingers on the table and gives the party a self-satisfied smile.
Katushya looks disgusted by the counter offer and gives an exasperated groan: This has been a waste of everyone's time then. If all you can offer is peanuts bring me the organ grinder, perhaps they will play a better tune.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#276 Post by Marullus »

As Katib again pretends to not know her, Sem's face washes over with a rapid mix of emotions - hurt, sad, anger, confusion. With one deep breath she steadies herself, mirroring his own blank, impassive facial expression back at him. Her eyes, however, remain fixed and intelligent, rapidly passing over his face, his posture, his mouth, his twitching fingers, over and over again...
Int+Notice [1d6] = 4[1d6+1] = 5+1 = 6 if eyesight advantage [1d6] = 1
That's a 10, so success on helping. (I added the extra die in case the cybersight allows advantage to the notice check like specialization, given the narrative below.)

Also, was his right eye always fake? Do I sense any emissions from it, or is it a dull prosthetic?
A practiced people-watcher, the rebuffed Sem now focuses on interpreting and disassembling Katib. Sem's enhanced vision dials in on the minute fluxuations in in thermal levels of his skin, the heart-rate in his neck, changes in his respiration... like a human polygraph machine, she collates the data, notifying the others of each attempt at deception, each chink in the negotiator's position, hoping to fluster him.

"You know that's a lie," she speaks flatly, her eyes remaining fixed on Katib.

"You know that's a lie, too," she adds again later in the negotiation, emotionless.
An additional point: She suspects something wrong in his appearance. Something too... robotic. With her successful observations, does she suspect this is a similcrum rather than the real negotiator? If she does, she reveals it before negotiations conclude.

cybersavant
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#277 Post by cybersavant »

"I will raise the offer to 1 million credits and I will tell you this is nearing the limit of what I can offer on my own. Much higher and I will need government approval which may drag this out unnecesarily." The small man drums his fingers on the table and gives the party a self-satisfied smile.
Alix Conzweth "Well, this is a waste of time then. Go back, express our .... disappointment .... at your lack of ability to provide a proper offer . We can meet again once the Blood has either granted you more leeway or replaced you."
gaming since 1980
cybersavant.proboards.com
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
Andreas Larson; Law of the Gun <Boot Hill 3e>
Nah Olos; Earthquakes in the Jotens <AD&D 1e>
Rorexsth; Wayfarers <Doctor Who>

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#278 Post by Marullus »

He doesn't represent the Blood," comments Sem's timid voice, her body still rigid, her eyes going from mouth to body to fake eye to face to real eye to neatly-trimmed fingers. "He's the government negotiator. The Blood isn't the government."

The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#279 Post by The_Wanderer »

Marullus wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:25 pm
An additional point: She suspects something wrong in his appearance. Something too... robotic. With her successful observations, does she suspect this is a similcrum rather than the real negotiator? If she does, she reveals it before negotiations conclude.
No, he's always acted this way. The fake eye is new though. You can't tell if it is cybernetic or not but it is not broadcasting anything.

The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#280 Post by The_Wanderer »

This is an interesting turn I'll run with it
The Bindoner wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:17 pm Katushya looks disgusted by the counter offer and gives an exasperated groan: This has been a waste of everyone's time then. If all you can offer is peanuts bring me the organ grinder, perhaps they will play a better tune.
I'll give you a trade roll + CHA for playing hardball...and the site die roller is down; rolling offsite (you'll have to trust me): 2d6+1 = 11
Marullus wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:25 pm "You know that's a lie," she speaks flatly, her eyes remaining fixed on Katib.

"You know that's a lie, too," she adds again later in the negotiation, emotionless.
cybersavant wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:40 pm Alix Conzweth "Well, this is a waste of time then. Go back, express our .... disappointment .... at your lack of ability to provide a proper offer . We can meet again once the Blood has either granted you more leeway or replaced you."
Again giving a Talk or trade + CHA roll = 2d6+0=8 = you aid
In total, Katushya with an 11, aid from Alix and Sem
Marullus wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:45 pm He doesn't represent the Blood," comments Sem's timid voice, her body still rigid, her eyes going from mouth to body to fake eye to face to real eye to neatly-trimmed fingers. "He's the government negotiator. The Blood isn't the government."
The small man spreads his hands out in front of him. "Ok, no deal can be done without trust. This is true and I appreciate your refusal to be bulled over by me. It is true that we could potentially increase our offer but I do need to consult with my superiors. Please give me a moment. I will be right back." He smiles broadly, closes and locks the case he removed his dataslab from, leaves it on the table and walks out of the room taking the dataslab with him.

A few moments later he re-enters and sits down, smile on his face. He sighs. "I have a proposal for you. 4.2 million credits. But before you respond or go to meet Ms. Malik - allow me to continue. As Ms. Sem mentioned, I represent both The Blood and the Federal Government of Mer. It is confusing for those outside of government, I understand. The Blood is always looking for additional independent contractors and I wonder if you would be interested in work? We have a wide variety of opportunities available...One thing we could consider is maybe altering the terms of this agreement so that some of the funds go to you directly. We could view this as a sign of our earnest interest in further developing this relationship. Again this is your choice. Please though, consider 4.2M our final offer."

Return to “Sigma Chronos (SWN:Revised)”