(000B) Down Under!

Eris
Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

(000B) Down Under!

#1 Post by Eris »

Present: Eodrien, Magdal, Jameson, Des, Darrin, Kate (NPC)

In the kitchen Kate plops a metal mixing bowl on her head and picks up a very large rolling pin...it's every bit a club.

Hazel hands her a small bag and says, "Light from Sal. I'll take care of Da and Ruthie, you be careful."

Nodding Kate sets off down a hall stopping half way pointing to a pair of lanterns, "Lanterns right there!"

She continues to a closed door at the end of the hall where she stops, "The basement is beyond this door. It will be dark in there, so I'm going to light it up when I open the door. Let's hope the Rats haven't already made it here, but I don't know. Anyway, there is small landing and stairs that can take two people side by side. There is a hole in the floor on the left. That hole leads down to another room. That is where the Rats can get in and up."

Taking a small sphere from the bag Hazel gave her the shape and size of a marble, Kate squeezes it. You can see light streaming out between her closed fingers. She puts the rolling pin down grasps the door handle and says to Eodrien, and those with her, "Say when!"

When you say so she will fling the door open and throw the marble from her hand into the room beyond. The bright light smashes against the far wall and shatters filling the room with light. It is dimly lighted, but bright enough for you to see the room and its contents.

OOC: Before I tell you what you see/hear/smell, I want to give the 5 of you a chance to form a plan, get out weapons, and a marching order....Kate will be at the back of your order as she is holding the door open.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: (000B) Down Under!

#2 Post by ateno »

"I'm all for heroic gestures, but with their stature and haste cant we just block the entrance and if they get that open then defend the hole with boiling oil and bop their heads once at a time as they enter?'

Looking around.

"Its much easier to defend than go into ah. . warrens where they are used to being?"

Darian

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by joertexas »

ateno wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:58 pm "I'm all for heroic gestures, but with their stature and haste cant we just block the entrance and if they get that open then defend the hole with boiling oil and bop their heads once at a time as they enter?'

Looking around.

"Its much easier to defend than go into ah. . warrens where they are used to being?"

Darian
Eodrien. leading the way, hefts her war axe and descends the stairs. "I would rather block them from coming in at all. Who knows where else they could appear from here?"
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97
Slug Rifle- 3, Medicine-2, Tactics-2, Zero-G-2, Streetwise- 2

In the Marches
Zaki Shursila, 486B97, Army, Major, 3 terms, 31
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#4 Post by ateno »

joertexas wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:32 pmEodrien. leading the way, hefts her war axe and descends the stairs. "I would rather block them from coming in at all. Who knows where else they could appear from here?"
"Um, alright, I suppose that is a possibility. I'll go near the rear."

Darian loosens a few darts from his quiver and holds on to his staff.

OOC: Darian plans to go next to last.

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#5 Post by Darithe »

Contrition was what he called it when he placed it in her hands. It was her 16th birthday and he'd been gone the previous two, so it was his way of making up for that. The sword wasn't magical but it was to Magdal because it was the last remnant she had of her father. The sheath he'd had made for it depicted both a dove and a hawk, for he said, to wield a sword was to be both. A dove in the time of peace and a hawk when facing a foe. A divided heart just as a sword has two sides. She'd seen him once more after that and then he was gone. Like a cool wind on a light summer day he passed by briefly touching her face and then passed on leaving nothing but the memory.

As she hears Darian say he will go last, she playfully flicks his ear as she passes him by, leaving soft laughter in her wake. Sword in hand she follows Eodrien, wishing she had grabbed her shield too, but she had thought she'd have to carry her lantern in the other hand, so she merely holds Contrition before catching a glimpse of her green eyes in the reflection of the steel.

As she descends she remembers a bit of a song her father used to sing to her:
"The redtail hawk writes songs across the sky,
Her music's in the waters flowing by,
You can hear the song each time the wind sighs..."

She followed Eodrien downward to write her song with Contrition...

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#6 Post by NJWilliam »

Jameson

Jameson draws a dagger and sets to head into the basement after the fighter types and before Kate.

“Think the rats like fire?’ he asks no one in particular.
Sebastian, A Candle in the Darkness
Ulrich, Tales of The Troll Company
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers
Hakon Geirmundarson, Pawns of the North Wind
Jameson Rowan, Silverband
Disston Symonds, Sigma Chronos

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#7 Post by ateno »

NJWilliam wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:38 am“Think the rats like fire?’ he asks no one in particular.
Darrian looks strangely at the back of Jameson's head and shrugs.

Turns and gestures, <after you> to Des. Turns and grabs the second lantern and follows Des down the stairs, counting them and checking the nosing, rise and tread. *In case of a fast getaway.*

Darrian

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#8 Post by Eris »

I know some of you are "chomping at the bit" to get going, but I have to give all the players a chance to read and respond, so action is going to be fast, slow, fast, slower, etc. especially when combat might be about to begin.

I really want to know the order you were going to go through this door. So, for THIS scene, I'm going to appoint JR as "Caller" and wait until I hear from him that the following is correct before actually opening that door and letting you down the stairs into the basement. This is what I think I got from your posts:

Code: Select all

1st Row:  Eodrien
2nd Row: Jameson    |   Magdal
3rd Row:  Des
4th Row:  Darian     |   Kazan
5th Row:  Kate

Is this correct?

Although, I try to run combat simultaneously, there will be times I need a "caller" for the group. I suggest y'all pick someone, if you don't I'll pick someone when I need to.

As for running the combat, once I say you're in "combat" I'll start posting "TURN #" posts. In fact, when you see TURN # you are in combat/action mode where time passes in turns and there is a fairly strict order of operations. Otherwise, you're in role playing narrative mode where things are much more free form.

Anyway, in TURN mode things will go like this:

1. I'll make a TURN # post that describes what you see, hear, smell, etc. And say "Your turn!"
  2. I'll wait a day or two to collect a post from all players with PC's in the scene. These posts should contain an action and a movement (or a movement and an action) and any exclamations (chat, comments, shouts, warnings, etc) your PC is making. You can include "if this happens then I try to do that" in your post, if you want. If there is an attack you can include rolls to hit and for damage (if you don't, I'll roll them for you in the 4rd step).
  3. After collecting all the posts (or as many as y'all post within a couple of days), I'll read them, add in any Monster/NPC actions and movements, and try to put them into an order that makes sense.
  4. I'll resolve the "turn" in a fair...and I hope exciting way.
  5. I'll make another post, TURN #+1, that describes the result of the previous turn and sets the scene for the next turn, if there is more combat/action to resolve.

Remember, that you are trying to move and act in your post, what actually happens will depend on what everyone else is trying to do and how the rolls for all of it goes.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#9 Post by Darithe »

OOC: Sounds good to me Lord High Mighty DM sir (I do get points for sucking up right?)! I am good with Eodrien doing the calling.

~Darithe dances off into the moonlight...

terrymixon
Ranger
Ranger

#10 Post by terrymixon »

Eris wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:48 pm I know some of you are "chomping at the bit" to get going, but I have to give all the players a chance to read and respond, so action is going to be fast, slow, fast, slower, etc. especially when combat might be about to begin.

I really want to know the order you were going to go through this door. So, for THIS scene, I'm going to appoint JR as "Caller" and wait until I hear from him that the following is correct before actually opening that door and letting you down the stairs into the basement. This is what I think I got from your posts:

1st Row:  Eodrien
3rd Row:  Des
4th Row:  Darian     |   Kazan
5th Row:  Kate

Is this correct?

Although, I try to run combat simultaneously, there will be times I need a "caller" for the group. I suggest y'all pick someone, if you don't I'll pick someone when I need to.

As for running the combat, once I say you're in "combat" I'll start posting "TURN #" posts. In fact, when you see TURN # you are in combat/action mode where time passes in turns and there is a fairly strict order of operations. Otherwise, you're in role playing narrative mode where things are much more free form.

Anyway, in TURN mode things will go like this:

1. I'll make a TURN # post that describes what you see, hear, smell, etc. And say "Your turn!"
  2. I'll wait a day or two to collect a post from all players with PC's in the scene. These posts should contain an action and a movement (or a movement and an action) and any exclamations (chat, comments, shouts, warnings, etc) your PC is making. You can include "if this happens then I try to do that" in your post, if you want. If there is an attack you can include rolls to hit and for damage (if you don't, I'll roll them for you in the 4rd step).
  3. After collecting all the posts (or as many as y'all post within a couple of days), I'll read them, add in any Monster/NPC actions and movements, and try to put them into an order that makes sense.
  4. I'll resolve the "turn" in a fair...and I hope exciting way.
  5. I'll make another post, TURN #+1, that describes the result of the previous turn and sets the scene for the next turn, if there is more combat/action to resolve.

Remember, that you are trying to move and act in your post, what actually happens will depend on what everyone else is trying to do and how the rolls for all of it goes.
Des has a two handed axe. Allow him to suggest he be up front rather than the middle of the pack. :)

He’s ready to fight but will make sure he doesn’t behead any of his companions.
The Spinward Main: Jack "Flighty" O'Brien, 989BB7, Merchant (3rd Officer), 4 terms, 34
Carousing-1, Computers-1, Engineering-1, Investigation-1, Jack of all Trades-3, Medicine-1, Melee Cbt-0, Navigation-1, Pilot-3, Pistol-1, Repair-1, Science-1, Steward-1, Streetwise-1, Cargo-0, Zero G-0
Benefit: 1,000 Cr, Auto Pistol, Explorer's Society (or TAS) membership.

Into the Marches: Emily Green, 566997, 34, LCDR Imperial Navy, 4 terms.
Foil-1, Engineering-2, Gunnery-1, JOAT-1, Mechanical-1, SMG-1, Ships Boat-1, Vacc Suit-1
16,000 cr, Travellers' Aid Society, MCG medal (good for free beers in many bars), Letter of Introduction

Silverband: Des Karst, 3rd Level Fighter, Two-Handed Axe, 6' 6", long red hair in a warrior's braid.

Akus Moby: Lily Stone, 897CB3, 42, Marine Gunnery Sergeant, 6 terms.
Skills: Gambling-6, Streetwise-4, Brawling-3, Combat Rifleman-3, Pistol-3, Battledress-1, Dagger-1, Grav Vehicle-1 (Air/Raft group), Survival-1
14,000 cr, 1 High Passage

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by joertexas »

terrymixon wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:18 amDes has a two handed axe. Allow him to suggest he be up front rather than the middle of the pack. :)He’s ready to fight but will make sure he doesn’t behead any of his companions.
OOG: Agreed.

Eodrien glances back at Des and waves him forward to stand with her. Then, she steps further into the room and looks around.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#12 Post by Darithe »

As Des takes the spot in front of Magdal she notes the axe and is suddenly glad she is rather short, and hopes she doesn't get shorter. "Des, I believe you are the biggest shield I've ever had. Plus it gives me a nice view of your better side."

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

(000B) Down Under!: TURN 1

#13 Post by Eris »

Turn 1

1st Row:  Eodrien      |   Des
3rd Row:  Darian     |   Kazan
4th Row:  Kate
At Eodrien's nod, Kate flings the door open and flings something from her hand into the room beyond. You all see a flash of light followed by globs of light spraying around the room from something that splattered against the far wall.

In this dim light Eodrien and Des rush through the door. They immediately hear the sounds of metal clanging against metal and high pitched grunts and growls coming from ahead and below them.

Eodrien and Des emerge onto a wooden platform that is large enough for only four people of stand. The platform has wooden railings around it with a wide stair straight ahead of them. To either side of the platform ropes hang from ceiling to floor (you deduce these are block and tackle used to raise and lower the large barrels of ale you see stacked on the floor a good 15 feet below you. As the party piles in behind Eodrien and Des, they step forward to the first of the steps leading toward the stone floor. Giving Jameson, Magdal, and Darian and his dog Kazen a chance to come out onto the platform and see what is happening.

At the foot of the stairs Eodrien and Des see several figures struggling in a sword fight. With his back to them is a creature about 3 feet tall wearing yellow pants under a Green tunic. Atop his head is a broad brimmed black hat. This creature is armed with a long slim sword and he is nimbly jumping back and forth with parry and riposte. The creature is facing three opponents [Ratmen 1, 2, 3] each about the same size, but dressed in brown with brown fur covering their bodies and wielding short swords. Their beady red eyes above long snouts and brown fur matches the description Kate gave of Ratmen.

There might be room beside the, presumabily, Mouseman, for one attacker. If the mouse falls back to rest, and it looks like he needs it, there would be room for two of you.

The basement is about 30 feet square with stacks of barrels and casks scattered around. The floor is stone as are the walls. On the floor you see the bodies of two creatures in yellow and green and four in brown. There are 2 more of the Rat like creatures in the room [4, 5], that you can see, but they can't get up to the mouseman to attack. Your attention is drawn to a another Rat[6] coming up through a hole in the stone floor carrying a short bow.

Mouseman  ( 3/4)
1 Ratman      
2 Ratman 
3 Ratman 
4 Ratman 
5 Ratman 
6 Ratman (bow) 
1. Remember 1 move/1 action in either order and short expositions, if you choose
2. Don't quote this post, just give me your actions/movements/exposition
3. As soon as I get everyone's reply I'll group, order, resolve, and post results

YOUR TURN!
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: (000B) Down Under!: TURN 1

#14 Post by joertexas »

Turn 1

Eodrien descends the steps, watching her feet to make sure she doesn't fall. She's sure of foot, but this isn't the time for a mistake. She approaches the melee on the defender's weak (non-sword hand) side, sets her feet, and delivers a two-handed, downward slicing attack to the nearest ratman's neck and shoulder area with her war axe.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

ateno
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#15 Post by ateno »

{attack] Darian positions his feet in a secure stance and pulls out a dart and throws it at the Ratman bowman.
[move] Watches the combat and yells so Kate can hear, "Who's the guys in Green and Yellow?"

Darian

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#16 Post by Darithe »

She moves out on the platform and with Des blocking her view, Magdal peers around his side and takes a good look at the scene, popping her head back behind him once she notes positions of everyone. While shielded by Des, she will sheath Contrition and ready her shortbow, nocking an arrow but taking no other action for now.

terrymixon
Ranger
Ranger

#17 Post by terrymixon »

Darithe wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:51 pm As Des takes the spot in front of Magdal she notes the axe and is suddenly glad she is rather short, and hopes she doesn't get shorter. "Des, I believe you are the biggest shield I've ever had. Plus it gives me a nice view of your better side."
"That's why I wear pants," he said with a grin.
The Spinward Main: Jack "Flighty" O'Brien, 989BB7, Merchant (3rd Officer), 4 terms, 34
Carousing-1, Computers-1, Engineering-1, Investigation-1, Jack of all Trades-3, Medicine-1, Melee Cbt-0, Navigation-1, Pilot-3, Pistol-1, Repair-1, Science-1, Steward-1, Streetwise-1, Cargo-0, Zero G-0

Foil-1, Engineering-2, Gunnery-1, JOAT-1, Mechanical-1, SMG-1, Ships Boat-1, Vacc Suit-1
16,000 cr, Travellers' Aid Society, MCG medal (good for free beers in many bars), Letter of Introduction

Silverband: Des Karst, 3rd Level Fighter, Two-Handed Axe, 6' 6", long red hair in a warrior's braid.

Skills: Gambling-6, Streetwise-4, Brawling-3, Combat Rifleman-3, Pistol-3, Battledress-1, Dagger-1, Grav Vehicle-1 (Air/Raft group), Survival-1

terrymixon
Ranger
Ranger

#18 Post by terrymixon »

Des steps forward, ready to plug the hole if the mouseman retreats. He'll strike of he can safely do so.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

(000B) Down Under!: Turn 2

#19 Post by Eris »

Turn 2
----
Eodrien descends the steps, watching her feet to make sure she doesn't fall. She approaches the melee on the defender's left and sets her feet attacking Ratman 1 (20/8) burying her ax deeply into the Rat's body. She kicks out with her boot pushing the suddenly dead Ratman off her big ax.

The Mouseman startled falls back and rolls behind Eodrien, saying "I don't know who you are, but thank you for that!"

Des, seeing the Mouseman move out of the way, steps into the void he left behind and chops at Ratman 2 (6), but the creature already recoiling steps back just in time to avoid Des' blow!

Ratman 2 is off balance and can't attack back at Des, but Ratman 3 can and he slashes at Des (16), but his sword glaces off his armor.

Magdal and Jameson move out onto the platform. Magdal readies her bow and Jameson waits to see what transpires. (ooc: Sorry, I waited for you, Bill, but needed to move things along.)

Darian positions his feet in a secure stance and pulls out a dart and throws it at Ratman 6, the bowman, (19/2). The creature staggers back as the dart buries itself into it's chest. Ratman 6 is staggered and can't get off a shot.

Darian yells so Kate can hear, "Who's the guys in Green and Yellow?"

Kate yells back, "Friends! We're on their side!"

Kate looks over the scene and then grabs hold of the rope for the block and tackle on the right side of the platform and vaulting over the railing lets the rope take her to the floor in a smooth controlled motion. Darian and Magdal both see this, clearly she's done that enough times in the past for it to be second nature to her. Once on the floor she yells at Ratman(4), "How dare you do this! No more bread and cakes for YOU!", as she charges at him waving her big rolling pin like a club!

At the end of the turn, Des and Eodrien are side by side at the bottom of the stairs. The Mouseman is behind them. Darien, Magdal, Jameson and Kazan are still on the platform at the top of the stairs. Kate is on the basement floor charging a Ratman with a rolling pin. One Ratman is dead, one is injured, and none of you are hurt yet.

YOUR TURN!
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: (000B) Down Under!: Turn 2

#20 Post by joertexas »

Eris wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:06 am Turn 2

At the end of the turn, Des and Eodrien are side by side at the bottom of the stairs. The Mouseman is behind them. Darien, Magdal, Jameson and Kazan are still on the platform at the top of the stairs. Kate is on the basement floor charging a Ratman with a rolling pin. One Ratman is dead, one is injured, and none of you are hurt yet.

YOUR TURN!
OOG: I presume that Eodrien is to Des' left, since she stepped up to Mouseman's off hand, and most people are right handed.

Eodrien steps over her late opponent's body and issues a diagonal chopping attack to the nearest ratman, while ensuring that she stays out of Des' way as she moves.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

Return to “Silverband (C&C)”