[02] Escape

tibbius
tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

[02] Escape

#1 Post by tibbius »

The ship lurches away from the station, into the starry depths.

"I'm calculating the Jump," says the captain. Her face is anxious and her fingers move rapidly in the air. If you look closely you can see the vague glimmer of data scrolling across her contacts. "Keep us clear of the pursuit. Find the pursuit, then keep us clear. Remember we have stealth engines, we can try to hide while we move."
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: [02] Escape

#2 Post by NJWilliam »

Alex

Alex activates the plasma cannons, getting them ready, “Whose got the scanners? he shouts.
Sebastian, A Candle in the Darkness
Ulrich, Tales of The Troll Company
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers
Hakon Geirmundarson, Pawns of the North Wind
Jameson Rowan, Silverband
Disston Symonds, Sigma Chronos

soypunk
Strider
Strider

#3 Post by soypunk »

Anen

Anen looks quizzically at Alex and says "...I think the sensors are controlled by you?!" and tries to raise the shields.

Shield Action (Test at Disadvantage) Roll: [1d6] = 3

Anen tells the crew "I'm trying to raise the shields but they aren't activating!" and slams his fist on the control panel.

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#4 Post by tibbius »

NJWilliam wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:13 am Alex

Alex activates the plasma cannons, getting them ready, “Whose got the scanners? he shouts.
The Actions for Helm include Move, Evade, or activating a system. The Actions for Gunner include Attack or activating a system. The actions for Defense include activating a system. You'll need to roll for each action - [_2d6]. Remember Rhisza can roll [_2d6] each round to get an extra Move or Evade as the Helm (Pilot trait).
Alex activate plasma cannons [_2d6] = (3+4)=7 - nothing seems to be working!
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#5 Post by tibbius »

soypunk wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:41 am Anen
Shield Action (Test at Disadvantage) Roll: [1d6] = 3
I think the Test should be [_2d6] so I'll roll an extra d6 for you: Anen activate shields [_1d6] = (4)=4 ... didn't help
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by ybn1197 »

Rhisza's eyes flash over his instrument panel. "Hold on everyone, I'm going to try and eek out a little more power from the engines and get us out of here quicker."

Rhisza: Extra Move [1d6] = 4 [1d6] = 5

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#7 Post by tibbius »

That gives the Helm three chances to Move or Evade or activate the stealth engines

"We're being pursued!" the captain exclaims. Her face is oddly relaxed. "I knew this would happen. Rhisza, try to get some Moves on them. If we get three moves ahead, we'll be clear to jump without being tracked. If you can hide they'll waste time searching for us. Alex and Anen, get the shields and weapons up - if Rhisza doesn't do well, we'll have to fight a bit."

pursuit ships Initiative [_2d6] = (1+2)=3 they go last
first pursuit ship Move [_2d6] = (2+3)=5 and second pursuit ship Move [_2d6] = (5+4)=9
only if they catch up: first pursuit ship Attack [_2d6] = (2+3)=5 and second pursuit ship Attack [_2d6] = (3+4)=7
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#8 Post by NJWilliam »

Alex

Alex tries again to activate the plasma cannons.

[_2d6] = (6+1)=7
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by ybn1197 »

soypunk
Strider
Strider

#10 Post by soypunk »

Anen

Anen pulls a trinket on a necklace from around his neck out and kisses it. He then works the shield controls one more time.

[1d6] = 6

“Shields up, captain!”

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#11 Post by tibbius »

These are the last actions this round, then we start a new round:

first pursuit ship Move [_2d6] = (2+3)=5 and second pursuit ship Move [_2d6] = (5+6)=11

"One of them is falling behind, the other is keeping up," says the captain flatly. "You're doing ... ok, Rhisza. Keep trying. So we have shields and cannons up now. Next we need to start shooting at the one that's keeping pace. They're right behind us so they should be an easy target."

New round. The pursuers go after you. Post your first actions then I'll post theirs. "Evade" is only effective for attacks after it's declared. So you've got the "drop" on them.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#12 Post by NJWilliam »

Alex

Alex fires the plasma cannons at the nearest pursuer.
Advantage in first shot in space combat from Quick Gun?
[_3d6] = (3+4+4)=11

But plays it off as a warning shot, “Back off, any closer and I will blast you!”
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers

soypunk
Strider
Strider

#13 Post by soypunk »

Anen

With the shields up Anen feels a bit helpless, as there's little else to do from his control station. He wanders over to check on Gvny to see if they've come to.

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#14 Post by tibbius »

Gvny is groggy and drooling and blinking at its surroundings.

"Yare," it says, "wad ye chelyoveks dun, eh? Ize gun get waived free, en naw Ize run ag'in." I promise I'll drop the written dialect after this - just wanted to give you a flavor.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

soypunk
Strider
Strider

#15 Post by soypunk »

Anen

Understanding Gvny roll: [1d6] = 3 [1d6] = 4

Anen stares blankly at Gvny as he tries to comprehend what they are saying. uhhh.. anyone speak this dialect?

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#16 Post by tibbius »

The Bilk intervenes. "Ungrateful bastard is piqued that you derailed the Reset. He looked forward to getting waived from liability. Now he's back on the run, waiting for the Movement to get him and pick over his memories to find out ... I don't know what."

We need Rhisza to take an action, then I can act for the pursuit ships.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by ybn1197 »

Seeing the plasma cannon miss their pursuers, Rhisza tries to get more power out of the engines to pull ahead.

Move #1: [1d6] = 4
Move #2: [1d6] = 1
Move #3: [1d6] = 6

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#18 Post by tibbius »

first ship Moves [_2d6] = (6+1)=7 second ship Moves [_2d6] = (3+2)=5

"Very good," says the Captain, "we've outrun them both. Ready for Jump in 3 ... 2 ... 1."

The interior of the ship fades to black and brightens to intense white simultaneously. Your stomachs flip over and your brains implode.

An infinite moment later, you're elsewhere.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Return to “The Rescuers (Tiny Frontiers)”