OOC Thread

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: OOC Thread

#101 Post by max_vale »

Okay; time to ask a "gamey" question(s).

I (Vax the cleric that is) have a spell (Soundburst); which can cause damage to multiple opponents within a globe (or cube) area. My question is this.....Would I be able to cast such a spell to have it only impact the targets I'd like it too? I guess what I'm really getting at is....would I have the 'mystical' knowledge of being able to utilize the spell so that the center of the spell is in the water somewhere and the edge of the spell just barely clips, say....the crocodiles' tails and not hit my fellow PCs.....or is that a no-dice deal? I'm cool either way; just thought I'd ask.

If I can't do the spell to impact multiple opponents and ignore my amigos; then I'll just sling it...

mithrandir138
Ranger
Ranger

#102 Post by mithrandir138 »

Mondego wrote:While being dragged by the crocodiles what actions can a PC take? Can he still attack or is he solely trying to escape the grip of the beast?
Though it wasn't necessarily a "grappling attack" that hit you, I think it's clear to say that Yorick is "grappled". Here's the rules for that. The funny thing about the Monster description about Crocodiles is they do a decent job of dealing with this if the croc is in the water, but not outside of the water. Anyhow, let's adjudicate it like this:

GRAPPLING
Grappling involves grabbing and holding a defender, as with classical wrestling or a snake constricting its body around its prey. Grappling is directed at holding an opponent and subduing them. The attacker rolls a d20 and adds any strength modifier and his BtH.

The armor class of a defender in an grappling attack is different than normal. A defender without strength as a prime has a standard AC of 12. A defender with strength as a prime has a standard AC of 18. Armor has little effect on the capacity to defend against this type of attack and is not included. The AC is modified by the strength, the dexterity, the BtH or hit dice of the defender, as well as the size difference between the two opponents. For each size difference larger, add +2 to the defender’s armor class. For each size difference smaller, a -2 penalty is imposed on the defender’s armor class.

Should an attack be successful, the defender is held and cannot act except to attempt to break the hold. The defender is considered prone and defenseless. The defender can break the hold by making his own successful grappling attack.

mithrandir138
Ranger
Ranger

#103 Post by mithrandir138 »

NJWilliam wrote:
Mondego wrote:While being dragged by the crocodiles what actions can a PC take? Can he still attack or is he solely trying to escape the grip of the beast?
Same question, what actions (or combination) are possible in one round - (1) attempt escape from crocodile's grasp; (2) barbarian intimidate; and (3) attack?

Thanks.

By the way, Arot is having lots of fun.
So, for you, your situation is a little different than Yorick. I had given the description that you were taken by your arm. So, you aren't necessarily defenseless, but you are still prone and having your arm wrenched and gnashed upon. So, you aren't necessarily grappled, per se. So, let's resolve it like this: You can attack with your axe using your good/free arm, however it is at a -2 penalty (you are prone, and in pain) or you can make a grappling attack to try to free yourself (normal grappling rules apply). I will say that doing an intimidate isn't really an option because this thing has the upper hand at the moment, and doesn't even make an attack roll to attack you while you are in it's grasp (I just roll damage on its next turn while it chomps).

mithrandir138
Ranger
Ranger

#104 Post by mithrandir138 »

max_vale wrote:Okay; time to ask a "gamey" question(s).

I (Vax the cleric that is) have a spell (Soundburst); which can cause damage to multiple opponents within a globe (or cube) area. My question is this.....Would I be able to cast such a spell to have it only impact the targets I'd like it too? I guess what I'm really getting at is....would I have the 'mystical' knowledge of being able to utilize the spell so that the center of the spell is in the water somewhere and the edge of the spell just barely clips, say....the crocodiles' tails and not hit my fellow PCs.....or is that a no-dice deal? I'm cool either way; just thought I'd ask.

If I can't do the spell to impact multiple opponents and ignore my amigos; then I'll just sling it...
Sorry, but I can't think of a way for this to work rationally. It's a sound-based effect, and they can't hear with their tails. Perhaps if we were playing a more rules-heavy game like Pathfinder/4e or something that would fly in "regulation play" but I am going to have to rule that it isn't really feasible.

mithrandir138
Ranger
Ranger

#105 Post by mithrandir138 »

Since I took so long to answer questions, you guys have some more time to post actions. I won't respond until later this evening. That ok?

As a general note (I should probably put this in the rules/expectations or something) you can expect me NOT to post on Monday and Wednesday NIGHTS (during the morning/afterrnoon it's possible, but I am all tied up otherwise. Not saying that I won't post during these times if I get a chance, but I will generally be too busy to post unless I am lucky. Not sure how to classify that other than "I might be able to post during these times if given the chance, but most likely not" :)

Do you guys prefer a set schedule for posting? I am not sure I do, but if that's what people are used to I may see if I can work something out.

Blazeguard
Ranger
Ranger

#106 Post by Blazeguard »

Re scheduling - I don't think we need to over-complicate it. We've already hashed out the timeframe that we need to post within and I think that's enough. PbP is supposed to be flexible and stuff happens IRL. Personally I don't think we need another schedule to further complicate things.

mithrandir138
Ranger
Ranger

#107 Post by mithrandir138 »

Blazeguard wrote:Re scheduling - I don't think we need to over-complicate it. We've already hashed out the timeframe that we need to post within and I think that's enough. PbP is supposed to be flexible and stuff happens IRL. Personally I don't think we need another schedule to further complicate things.
I agree. I was just checking the temperature. The reason why I am asking so many questions and prompting feedback as much as possible is because I am trying to make sure that this game is as convenient and enjoyable as possible for people. My goal is truly to make sure that we retain the people we have, they have fun, I have fun, and that the game is "awesome" (what that exactly means, I am still figuring out) :) I guess you can say "I give a damn" about this game and I want to make sure you guys do too :)

Blazeguard
Ranger
Ranger

#108 Post by Blazeguard »

For what it's worth I am having a blast so far.

mithrandir138
Ranger
Ranger

#109 Post by mithrandir138 »

Blazeguard wrote:For what it's worth I am having a blast so far.
I am glad. Thanks, I am enjoying myself, as well.

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#110 Post by Dogma »

So far so good for me too.

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#112 Post by max_vale »

The computers here at work (at least...the 'check your e-mail and get on-line computers') were down for upgrades for the past 10 hours....which is why I didn't post until now...sorry!

The ruling on the spell was fine; I guess I needed to be more clear though....I was trying to say that Vax would use his sling if the spell idea wouldn't work.....no worries though! :)

mithrandir138
Ranger
Ranger

#113 Post by mithrandir138 »

max_vale wrote:The computers here at work (at least...the 'check your e-mail and get on-line computers') were down for upgrades for the past 10 hours....which is why I didn't post until now...sorry!

The ruling on the spell was fine; I guess I needed to be more clear though....I was trying to say that Vax would use his sling if the spell idea wouldn't work.....no worries though! :)
Doh! Sorry, man. Of course, now that you say that, I reread what you said in your last sentence and it makes sense. My bad.

mithrandir138
Ranger
Ranger

#114 Post by mithrandir138 »

All,

Please make sure that you update your character sheets (HP, missiles, etc.)

Thanks!

mithrandir138
Ranger
Ranger

#115 Post by mithrandir138 »

Blazeguard wrote:The mangled leg and blood loss tell a different story though as Filibert appears to have passed out.

OOC: I didn't realize the extent of Filibert's injuries until now. He is down to only 2 hp.
You don't necessarily have to be passed out from blood loss, you have an average CON score (not that the rules-as-written take this into account). However, if you want to do that for dramatic effect, have at it :) Just letting you know that it isn't necessary to do that to align with the C&C rules. Here are the specifics about HP, recovery and death from the PHB:

---
In general, hit points heal at a rate of one point per day and only if the character is resting, well fed, kept warm and the wounds being tended to. After seven days, the rate of healing increases to include the constitution bonus, if any. After 14 days, the rate of healing doubles and after thirty days, it triples. Rates of healing can be adjusted by magical healing, herbs, diet, level of care or other factors the Castle Keeper deems applicable.

In general, when 0 hit points is reached, the character or monster passes out. They are not dead, but rather incapable of acting while passed out due to blood loss and physical or mental damage. The character or monster is unable to act and is unconscious or gravely wounded. Those so wounded, if still conscious, can do little more than crawl from the battlefield or call out for help. Those with 0 hit points recover consciousness in 1d6 hours, after which they can move at 1/2 their normal move rate, but still cannot participate in combat, cast spells, turn undead or any strenuous or demanding action. The full effects of magical healing of characters reduced to 0 hit points is immediate.

At –1 to –6 hit points, the character or monster is unconscious and grievously wounded. They require bed rest to recover, unless magically healed. A character so wounded must rest 24 hours before the process of healing begins, unless magically healed. With magical healing, the character’s hit points can only be returned to 0, after which healing proceeds normally.

For example, a knight is struck by a club from an ettin and reduced to -1 hit points. Before healing begins, the knight must wait 24 hours. However, a cleric of goodly intent decides to share the grace of their deity with the knight and cast a cure light wounds on the knight. The cure is for 8 hit points, but the knight is only brought back up to 0 hit points. However, healing can proceed as normal thereafter.

At –7 to –9 hit points, the character or monster is mortally wounded and loses one hit point per round after reaching -7 hit points. Aid administered to the wounds stops the hit point loss. This takes at least one full round, during which no hit point is lost. After 24 hours have passed, the normal healing process as described for -1 to -6 hit points begins.

At –10 hit points death occurs immediately. Only resurrection, reincarnation or bribes to the Castle Keeper can remedy death.

Blazeguard
Ranger
Ranger

#116 Post by Blazeguard »

Thanks for clarifying that. I was just trying to role play and add some color to the story.

mithrandir138
Ranger
Ranger

#117 Post by mithrandir138 »

Blazeguard wrote:Thanks for clarifying that. I was just trying to role play and add some color to the story.
Totally fine with me :)

mithrandir138
Ranger
Ranger

#118 Post by mithrandir138 »

Everyone now has 3 Bennies (except Tomas who has 4 because of good role playing), please mark them on your character sheet under "Special Abilities". Below is a description of what a Benny is, and what it can be used for. To use them, simply post your original roll, state that you are using a Benny to re-roll, then post the reroll under it. Example:

Attack with frozen carp: [1d20+3] = 11+3 = 14 - Damage: [1d100] = 100 DOH, using a Benny.
Attack with frozen carp: [1d20+3] = 9+3 = 12

Notice how damage was NOT re-rolled. Since the re-reroll was actually lower, the original 14 still stands, and the Benny was burned (for nothing, in this instance) ;) You can keep rolling Bennies on your turn until you run out.

This stuff will be added to the house rules, which I plan to clean up soon, but here it is for convenience:

Bennies
Every now and then the dice may not work for you. That’s why this game gives you, the player, a little control over your hero’s fate.

Every player starts each game session with three “Bennies” (American slang for “benefits”), represented by gaming stones or other tokens that signify a little bit of good luck or fate. The Game Master may also give you more Bennies for great roleplaying, overcoming major obstacles, or even entertaining everyone with an outlandish action, side-splitting comment, or other memorable act.

You can use Bennies to reroll any attribute/SIEGE check or attack roll. You can keep spending Bennies and rerolling as long as you like, and take the best of your attempts. If you roll a 5, for example, and a Benny gets you a 4, keep the original 5 instead.

Bennies cannot be spent on damage rolls or any other roll that isn’t an attribute/SIEGE check.

How does someone get more Bennies?

The CK should hand out a Benny anytime a player does something particularly clever, finds a very important clue, or generally advances the plot. You should also hand out Bennies for great roleplaying, particularly as it concerns any hinderances or flaws in their backstory. If a character jeopardizes his life to save his comrade, he definitely deserves a Benny for his efforts. It never hurts to reward a player for a great line, side-splitting in-game joke, or even a rare serious and dramatic moment. Bribes also help.

moorcrys
Strider
Strider

#119 Post by moorcrys »

mithrandir138 wrote:
max_vale wrote:Okay; time to ask a "gamey" question(s).

Sorry, but I can't think of a way for this to work rationally. It's a sound-based effect, and they can't hear with their tails. Perhaps if we were playing a more rules-heavy game like Pathfinder/4e or something that would fly in "regulation play" but I am going to have to rule that it isn't really feasible.
Along these lines, as this is a play-by-post and not rules-heavy, for area effect spells I feel as though I need to leave it up to your judgment as to whether a spell like color spray can be cast without hitting fellow party members. I can imagine the battle in a general way but specific spacing, something you can easily see with minis etc., isn't going to happen in this situation (nor do I really want it to happen). Is there another way you want it handled?

mithrandir138
Ranger
Ranger

#120 Post by mithrandir138 »

moorcrys wrote: Along these lines, as this is a play-by-post and not rules-heavy, for area effect spells I feel as though I need to leave it up to your judgment as to whether a spell like color spray can be cast without hitting fellow party members. I can imagine the battle in a general way but specific spacing, something you can easily see with minis etc., isn't going to happen in this situation (nor do I really want it to happen). Is there another way you want it handled?
Nope. Area of effect stuff is hard to deal with in PbP, I will try to be as fair as I can. A general rule would be, if you are color-spraying (or something similar) a group where one of your companions is in melee with one of the combatants, it's likely they will get hit too. I may do some percentiles or something to make it more gamey and chance-based instead of binary. Like I said, I will try to make it fair, but sometimes bad stuff is probably going to happen. If it does, it isn't because I am trying to kill someone. I don't play games that way :) My job is to entertain, adjudicate, facilitate storytelling/roleplay, and have fun. Hopefully this will work out.

EDIT: Furthermore, communication with the group can help get past some of this stuff. (planning attacks, etc.)

Return to “C&C - A0: The Rising Knight”