Port Zangerios

OGRE MAGE
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Port Zangerios

#41 Post by shaidar »

OGRE MAGE wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:32 pm Xenos can smell the salt and stink of the wharf long before the pair reach the end of the alley. It turns out that this huge building, and the courtyard they just left, must be the famed Ozlo’s Longhouse.

Seeing a few similar looking flyers hanging at the end of the street, the men pull them off the wall to read what they say.

viewtopic.php?p=504241#p504241
Xenos looks at the Atlantean "Maybe I'm better at finding work than I am at navigating this place. This must have been what that viking was talking about. Perhaps I shall see you here later?"

Xenos needs to return to the brothel to see if he can swap his early shift with another guard so he can attend the meeting.

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#42 Post by Bluetongue »

Valkrina

Studies the posters. She presumes the named sorceress must be known in these parts. 'the Dark' implies a scholar of dire arts, necromancy and witchery rather than a nod to skin tone.

Still the request for aid in gathering flowers is not due to horticultural reasons or conservation. The skald has seen enough of opiate sniffers craving powdered poppy seeds to know natures blossoms can yield a lucrative harvest for certain unscrupulous entrepreneurs and rare spell components are highly valued.

She has heard but not visited the aforementioned islands. During a break she scours her mind for any relevant information she can recall of the people and culture there.
Valkrina wisdom recall roll vs 15 [1d20] = 3

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#43 Post by Rex »

Drest

"Good, maybe my luck is turning I need some work."

Drest heads off to find Ozlo's tavern.

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#44 Post by NJWilliam »

Hakon

Hakon, Viking of the Ale Horn, rolled off of the pile of pelts that Ullr had placed in his path in the wee hours when he was working his way back to his room at Ozlo’s. Eyes mostly shut, his hands scrabbled about, eventually finding the “foreigner” mask not far from his makeshift bed. Stretching open his eyes one hand retrieved a small block of charcoal from his belt. Sitting back on the pelts. He contemplated the mask for a moment, and then deftly scribed a rune on the side of the mask. It was the eighth in a line running up the side of the otherwise plain mask.

“Ice,” he said as he moved the charcoal against the mask.
Another moment of contemplation, and a grimace crossed his face as he shook his head.

”No,” the charcoal moved again adding another stroke to the rune,
“the rune of this eighth day must be Water.”

He donned his mask and unslung a huge musk ox horn from across his back.
Looking about for something to fill the horn, his eyes found instead several of the same flier.

Reading the flier, Hakon of the runic mask nodded and said quietly, “The rune of the day is Water.”
Sebastian, A Candle in the Darkness
Ulrich, Tales of The Troll Company
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers
Hakon Geirmundarson, Pawns of the North Wind
Jameson Rowan, Silverband
Disston Symonds, Sigma Chronos

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#45 Post by Scott308 »

Euripides Nereos
shaidar wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:50 pm
Xenos looks at the Atlantean "Maybe I'm better at finding work than I am at navigating this place. This must have been what that viking was talking about. Perhaps I shall see you here later?"
Euripides looks at Xenos, confused. Why, what's going on here? Will there be a festival or something?
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by shaidar »

Scott308 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:06 pm Euripides Nereos
shaidar wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:50 pm
Euripides looks at Xenos, confused. Why, what's going on here? Will there be a festival or something?
Xenos gestures towards the flyers "The sorceress Kazzefron seeks to hire folk to sail to the Crab archipelago and retrieve some kind of plant. There is to be a gathering in the courtyard later today for those interested"

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#47 Post by Scott308 »

Euripides Nereos

Well. I will be here. Sounds like an easy job. Prob'ly better than sleeping in an alley, anyway. My name is Euripides. Nice to meet you.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Old Duergar
Tracker
Tracker

#48 Post by Old Duergar »

OGRE MAGE wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:46 pmWhen he finally spots a boy from the fish market that he doesn’t hate, he sits down with him to rest after his long daring escape, asking the young lad with the thin veil-like mask the same questions he was asking everyone else.

“Don’t know nuthin bout no tall ghost men, but maybe they’s here fer the big meetin? Lookin fer work, like everyone else is roun ere?”

“You herd about the big meetin, ya? Over at Ozlo’s place? I think it’s today!”
"A big meeting you say? Work at Ozlo's? At what time? I vaguely recall the name, what know you of this ... Viking brute and his doings? Tell me and know that helping others can be most... sweet.", Kumaglak inquires, his interest picqued. He keeps a small chunk of plain fused sugar in his palm, waving it enticingly at the boy's direction.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by shaidar »

Scott308 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:51 pm Euripides Nereos

Well. I will be here. Sounds like an easy job. Prob'ly better than sleeping in an alley, anyway. My name is Euripides. Nice to meet you.
Xenos

"Sounds too easy, perhaps, the devil is always in the detail. I am Xenos. I have an errand I need to run before the meeting in the courtyard, you are welcome to join me if you wish, but it is nothing of particular importance to another."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#50 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Bluetongue wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:34 pm Valkrina

Studies the posters. She presumes the named sorceress must be known in these parts. 'the Dark' implies a scholar of dire arts, necromancy and witchery rather than a nod to skin tone.

Still the request for aid in gathering flowers is not due to horticultural reasons or conservation. The skald has seen enough of opiate sniffers craving powdered poppy seeds to know natures blossoms can yield a lucrative harvest for certain unscrupulous entrepreneurs and rare spell components are highly valued.

She has heard but not visited the aforementioned islands. During a break she scours her mind for any relevant information she can recall of the people and culture there.
Valkrina wisdom recall roll vs 15 [1d20] = 3
Valkrina thinks back to what she heard as a child about the infamous Crab Archipelago, her memories of the tales never sitting well with her. The Esquimaux elders around the Ice Lake region used to tell tales of their own distant kin living in that area who became infatuated with the subaqueous Crab-Men, eventually idolizing them so badly that they themselves started to emulate their watery overlords, dying their skin red and wearing moulted, crusty shells on their bodies to look more like them.

She remembers hearing that the islands near the coast of the mainland were inhabited by folk who were once Picts, that also shared the love of the alien crab-men, while her former kin inhabited the smaller isles further south along the chain.

Though she is no stranger to men staring at her exotic beauty, she starts to worry about this massive Viking named Ozlo who hired her for the day, wondering if he has anything else to do other than drink heavily, shout loudly over her music, and gawk at women all day. She hopes she wont need to sneak out of the place without being paid. At least he doesnt make her wear her mask while she performs. In fact, she doesnt see anyone in the room currently wearing their face covering, wondering if the Vikings are exempt from the local traditions.

Action?

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#51 Post by OGRE MAGE »

NJWilliam wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:16 pm Hakon

Hakon, Viking of the Ale Horn, rolled off of the pile of pelts that Ullr had placed in his path in the wee hours when he was working his way back to his room at Ozlo’s. Eyes mostly shut, his hands scrabbled about, eventually finding the “foreigner” mask not far from his makeshift bed. Stretching open his eyes one hand retrieved a small block of charcoal from his belt. Sitting back on the pelts. He contemplated the mask for a moment, and then deftly scribed a rune on the side of the mask. It was the eighth in a line running up the side of the otherwise plain mask.

“Ice,” he said as he moved the charcoal against the mask.
Another moment of contemplation, and a grimace crossed his face as he shook his head.

”No,” the charcoal moved again adding another stroke to the rune,
“the rune of this eighth day must be Water.”

He donned his mask and unslung a huge musk ox horn from across his back.
Looking about for something to fill the horn, his eyes found instead several of the same flier.

Reading the flier, Hakon of the runic mask nodded and said quietly, “The rune of the day is Water.”
Hakon shakes off his wicked hangover from the night before, drawing runes of charcoal on his visitors mask while he looks over a nearby flyer. Learning of a meeting this very day regarding possible work, the aspiring Runegraver contemplates his next career choice.

Ozlo's tavern is a buzz of excitement, with most of the activity seeming to center around the meeting about to take place a little later out back.

Actions?

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#52 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Xenos and Eruipides get to know each other a little better after the swordsmen reads the flyer to the young Atlantean.

With both of them currently looking for something.....anything, better than their current situation, they agree to attend the meeting of this unknown Sorceress.

Xenos needs to go back to the brothel to see if he can find another to work his shift, so he asks his new acquaintance to join him.

Actions?

Feel free to tie these together. Or don’t, whatever works. viewtopic.php?p=504823#p504823
Last edited by OGRE MAGE on Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#53 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Old Duergar wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:16 pm "A big meeting you say? Work at Ozlo's? At what time? I vaguely recall the name, what know you of this ... Viking brute and his doings? Tell me and know that helping others can be most... sweet.", Kumaglak inquires, his interest picqued. He keeps a small chunk of plain fused sugar in his palm, waving it enticingly at the boy's direction.
The young boy just stares at the lump of sugar as he responds.

"Ozlo is a huge monster of a man, and as mean and nasty as an old sea hag. He has a lot of power in the Docks though, since he owns about half of it. Those Vikings around his place do whatever they want, without concern for any authority, not that there is much around here. They aint big fans of the rest of us wearing our masks either. In fact, I heard they wont even let you in their place if yer wearin one."

"I think their gathering is a little later today, but I would be careful around that bunch, if yer plannin to go. They dont care much fer non Vikings, from what I heard."

The boy licks his dry lips under his thin veil, never taking his eyes off the sweet treat being waved around.

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#54 Post by NJWilliam »

Hakon

Hakon thanks Ullr again for his guidance, and detours from the route to his room to get to Ozlo’s tavern for a bit of the hair of the dog before the meeting.
Sebastian, A Candle in the Darkness
Ulrich, Tales of The Troll Company
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers
Hakon Geirmundarson, Pawns of the North Wind
Jameson Rowan, Silverband
Disston Symonds, Sigma Chronos

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#55 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Rex wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:50 am Drest

"Good, maybe my luck is turning I need some work."

Drest heads off to find Ozlo's tavern.
Finding the place is easy enough. Everyone around knows where Ozlo’s is.

After a stomach turning trip through the wharf, the Viking owned section of the Docks district lay just up ahead. Drest can see the massive Longhouse that appears to stretch for a mile. Even though it is still fairly early, the place is already a bustle of activity. The unfriendly Pict is about to walk closer when he spots two young men standing just off the main street at the end of a dark alleyway. One of them appears to be reading a flyer from the wall that looks similar to the one he found earlier.

Action?

Here’s his chance to show off some of that Pictish charisma. :lol:

Howman
Runner
Runner

#56 Post by Howman »

Ragnarr

After reading the flier and deciding that the meeting looks interesting, Ragnarr heads into the tavern to relax until the meeting later that afternoon.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#57 Post by Rex »

Drest

Drest heads over to the young men.

"Hey, you looking to join the search for plants? Maybe we will crew together? You don't look very competent, but with my luck probably the best I will get crewed with. I'm Drest, whats your names?"

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by shaidar »

Rex wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:05 am Drest

Drest heads over to the young men.

"Hey, you looking to join the search for plants? Maybe we will crew together? You don't look very competent, but with my luck probably the best I will get crewed with. I'm Drest, whats your names?"
Xenos looks the newcomer up and down, unsure of what seems to be causing complete strangers to insult him today.

"You're very confident to insult two strangers, that or very stupid. Which one is it?"

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#59 Post by Rex »

Drest

"Confident I suppose, wasn't meant as an insult just stating what I see. Truth is most people just lie to each other and don't mention the obvious. I could never see the point in that, truth is I am just looking for work and probably you are too. You look like you have a couple years experience at most and that means not very competent. I am no different, I just have the balls to admit it."

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#60 Post by Bluetongue »

Valkrina

Studies the poster and notes the interest the invitation has caused as folk wander in the mead hall prior to the presentation. She wonders if the transport provided is that of a viking longship, maybe this Ozlo giving financial backing to the endeavour for a share of spoils. She hesitates to ask the bar staff too much about the barbarian giant, better not to pique his already lecherous interest.

Recalling Crab Island legend, it seems the multi-cultures populating the island gravitate to the common denominator of 'crustaceanism'. She is not sure what to make of it having not seen it first hand. With many unspoken questions but few answers until later she plays a tune, dedicating it to the dark sorceress.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=you ... WXk875_lE0

Return to “Pawns of the North Wind (AS&SH 2e)”