Action Thread (Year 1153, Day 107) NEUTRAL GOOD

atpollard
Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Action Thread (Year 1153, Day 107) NEUTRAL GOOD

#21 Post by Stirling »

Phaeus by the door to the tower.

My understanding was that this is the plan of action.
Secondly, Aari, HadrIan & I will go check out the tower ground floor, covered by Eric and Victoria Carter from the steps with their crossbows.

After we secure the tower, we tie a goat from the herd there and Hadrian communicates to the wolves that they can relocate there.
So together with Aari, I help drag the 100 lb raccoon carcass across the courtyard with the intention of leaving it in the tower as a meat feast for the wolves to sweeten their relocation.

We need to make sure the tower is free of other threats. I am concerned regarding the bones there may be more than just bones. So leave the carcass by the door until we secure the tower.

I open the tower door and look inside the tower.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by Rex »

Aari

Aari will take point in securing the tower. Entering first and searching and checking the bones.

"Keep your eyes open I am heading in."

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Year 1153, Day 107: 11:20 AM

#23 Post by atpollard »

Year 1153, Day 107: 11:20 AM [Tower]
The troublesome goat was released to run and rejoin the flock as the racoon carcass was voted a quieter and less bothersome offering for the wolves. Father Hadrian stood prepared to call upon divine aid as Phaeus and Aari took the lead on breeching the tower. Eric and Victoria Carter kept watch from the steps with their crossbows.

Phaeus crept up to the door and waited a moment, studying the inside for any indication of movement or danger. Convinced that everything appeared quiet, a silent gesture passed from Phaeus to Aari announcing the countdown to the assault.

Phaeus attempted to open the door, but the hinges were rusted solid and refused to budge, so he gripped the old wood with both hands and ripped the rotting wood off the rusted hinges leaving an open doorway and Phaeus holding the door like a giant shield. Aari leapt through the opening and into the room, ready for combat. The bones were old and dry, snapping like twigs as you stepped on them. Most were from small animals. Some appeared Trollkin. A few were human.

Phaeus leaned the door against the outer wall and entered. There seemed nothing dangerous in the room. Along with the bones were bits of fur, old leaves and some stray feathers forming a layer of debris over the floor. Scattered among the debris you spotted an occasional coin.

Does the Clan take any action before dragging the raccoon carcass into the room, or just pile it on the rest of the debris?
"welcoming humbly His light and proudly His darkness" - e.e. cummings

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by Stirling »

Phaeus checks the tower interior.

My thoughts are the following. There is a breach in the outer wall in the picture and I would prefer to eventually fix the door closed so that the Wolf pack enter and exit via the moat as they do presently. So I will scramble over the rubble to check that out in mind of creatures hidden in the rubble such as snakes or gators' which I would stab at with my sword.

I will let Father HadrIan dictate any removal of the bones.

A quick check of the coins. We have no shop but they can add to the Clan coffers.

There is no second floor with the above room collapsed. While the hawks have flown off I will climb any spiralling staircase checking the arrow slots for views (hidden niches of gems).

"Aari now is your chance to take an egg to raise a chick to sport with?"

If nothing else of interest or creatures, place raccoon in room and fix door using wedging spikes, wooden beams or planks to keep the tower seperate from courtyard.

thenewflesh
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#25 Post by thenewflesh »

Father Hadrian exhales. Nothing inside. He looks carefully at the bones.

"They seem inert, and will give the wolves something to play with."

He will follow Phaeus up the staircase, if there is any, in case they find something unfriendly at the top.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by Rex »

Aari

"Excellent idea, do you see any chicks? Leave the eggs, not sure I will be able to get it to hatch. But I would take a chick for sure."

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Year 1153, Day 107: 11:25 AM

#27 Post by atpollard »

Year 1153, Day 107: 11:25 AM [Tower]

Phaeus reached down and collected a coin from among the debris. Brushing the dirt off revealed a Silver Piece. Being heavier than most of the other debris, whatever coins may be in here have settled to the bottom. Locating and collecting the coins will involve a careful and systematic search of the debris littered floor.
Does the group or the Clan choose to undertake such a search?

Phaeus and Father HadrIan climbed the treadles skeletal remains of a wooden spiral stair like a ladder to the ruins of the upper level. It provided access to the parapet wall around the courtyard and allowed you to climb along the tangle of heavy beams that formed the second floor. There were three large nests among the beams and two had broods of three eggs each visible in them.
Do you approach the nests or remain near the outer wall?

The Arrow Slits in the remains of the tower wall, provided a good view of the approach to the ruins from the South and West, but contained no hiding places or secret caches.
Just for anyone interested: 2D6: 2-5=empty nests, 6-7=eggs, 8-9=young chicks, 10+=mature chicks … roll was 7 for 2D6=6 eggs

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by Stirling »

Phaeus along the parapet wall of the Ruin.

I will leave the silver coins for now as I am on the parapet. Ignoring the eggs as Aari preferred to raise a chick and I don't wish to be dive bombed by angry birds, I will walk along the wall from the tower to the NW corner of the ruin, assessing with albeit very limited construction knowledge, how any breach of the walls may be fortified or repaired. Also from this vantage point check over the surrounding fields.

We probably need to station a 'watch' at some point from within the Clan community that goes beyond just guarding the bedroom. So I am thinking ahead to that and if we ever built a catapult, which tower would best host it.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by Rex »

Aari

Aari will cover Phaeus from the ground. Checking to make sure the room is all clear. Any coins he sees he will pick up but hes not digging around for them at this point.

thenewflesh
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#30 Post by thenewflesh »

Father Hadrian hesitates. He is not as nimble as Phaeus, and does not want to put himself in a position where he will slow Phaeus down. He remains at the top of the tower, watching the thief effortlessly walk across the parapet.

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#31 Post by atpollard »

Year 1153, Day 107: 11:35 AM [Tower]
Phaeus scanned the surrounding fields from the parapet, but saw nothing but tall grass waving in the breeze. Patching the walls would not be a particularly complex task, but would require a large investment in man-hours of labor. One of the Clan Dwarves could probably estimate the time required and would likely have the Masonry knowledge needed to supervise the task.

Aari managed to locate 6 Copper Coins and 4 Silver Coins easily visible on the ground. It was easier to spot the copper coins since they had only a light patina, while the silver coins had turned almost completely black.

Father HadrIan stood in the tower watching Phaeus survey the wall. For a moment he thought he caught sight of some movement in the far distance out of the corner of his eye, but when he looked for the source all he saw was gently waving grass. Perhaps it was just a shadow in the grass, or some deer in the field. Whatever it was, he saw nothing there now.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by Rex »

Aari

Aari will add the coins to the clan coffers later. "Do you see anything from up there?"

thenewflesh
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#33 Post by thenewflesh »

Father Hadrian frowns.

"Don't think so!"

he calls, but he stands up a little straighter and keeps his eyes peeled.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by Stirling »

Phaeus

Goes as far as the breach in the walls. Looking down over the parapet edge he gets the sudden urge to pee and adds to the moat waters.

"No all is quiet from up here. Sunny day. Hawks hunting. Best come down as they won't be away from their eggs for long."

Having assessed the walls he calls to the junior pair 'on guard' by the mansion steps. "Eric, Vicki. You pair best scramble up here. Go place yourself in the NW tower. Watch over the fields and beware the alligator don't lurch up behind you. See any dangers just holler."

He appoints the pair to the watchtower as he returns to the tower.

"Well the ground floor here is secure. Wolves won't reach the hawk nests. Best get the pack shifted and then we can clean out that wing of the Manor. Get the ruin more liveable."

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Year 1153, Day 107: 12:10 PM

#35 Post by atpollard »

Year 1153, Day 107: 12:10 PM [Courtyard]
Phaeus, Aari and Father HadrIan had gathered in the courtyard with the hide and carcass of the Giant Racoon to finalize the details of their plan for dealing with the wolves. Phaeus had completed scraping all the flesh from the hide and covering the fresh hide with salt to dry it and prevent it from rotting before he could prepare the acid bath to tan it. He needed a barrel and someplace that the smell would not bother anyone.

[Round 1]
Screams from outside the main gate and a high-pitched squeak from the south Parapet caught your attention. Ronnie Milne, one of the Halfling boys came scrambling down from the parapet in his leather armor and ran into the Courtyard.

“Trollkin outside the gate! Didn’t see them ‘til they just suddenly appeared.” he said as he pointed back towards the south. “Gotta warn the others.” he said as he ran towards the Great Hall (#6) and the Chamber (#7).

Cleo Milne, his young sister, had climbed down from the parapet by this point. “They tore him in half and swallowed him whole.” she whispered. “It was totally disgusting.”

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by Rex »

Aari

Aari rushes towards the opening getting an arrow ready as he goes.

In case he is able to shoot this round.
Short Bow [1d20+1] = 11+1 = 12 to hit [1d6] = 4 damage
Short Bow [1d20+1] = 15+1 = 16 to hit [1d6] = 1 damage

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by Stirling »

Phaeus

"Did they see you?" he asks. Probably not, hobbit peering over the edge of the parapet are too short to silhouette against the sky.

I will go and check by the gates as the juniors warn the families. Watching or hearing the croak and groans it seems the guardian creatures are doing a good work of eliminating any trollkin threat. I would advise against a direct attack but it seems the ranger snipes one as he nears the drawbridge. A good warning at least they know the place is occupied.

I will look for a place to secrete myself, hidden in the shadows and rubble by the main gate to attack any who enter past the drawbridge.

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#38 Post by atpollard »

FYI: for another view of the action, Players should read the Chaotic Good thread.

thenewflesh
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#39 Post by thenewflesh »

"Return to the others now, help them with anything they need."

Father Hadrian tells Cleo. Runs towards the drawbridge. He is slow and loud compared to his allies, not one for hiding. He whispers a quick prayer to Mielikki, stands - if it appears at all safe - behind the gate, out of the range of arrows, ready to defend his home against intruders.

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#40 Post by atpollard »

Rex wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:17 am Aari

Aari rushes towards the opening getting an arrow ready as he goes.

In case he is able to shoot this round.
Short Bow [1d20+1] = 11+1 = 12 to hit [1d6] = 4 damage
Short Bow [1d20+1] = 15+1 = 16 to hit [1d6] = 1 damage
Firing into melee has equal chances to hit any target. Do you want to fire into the mass of Trollkin, Humans and Giant Frogs or save the shots for the first invader to break off from melee?

Return to “A Candle in the Darkness (1e)”