OOC Thread

atpollard
atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

OOC Thread

#1 Post by atpollard »

Here is a place to just talk about stuff.

COVID-19 ... is this isolation getting old or what? :x
The party should probably stick together as much as practicable. Splitting the group slows my posting rate as a Ref and risks "defeat in detail" for all of you.
"welcoming humbly His light and proudly His darkness" - e.e. cummings

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: OOC Thread

#2 Post by Stirling »

Thank you for the invite to join the campaign. Looking forward to it.

Just a couple of questions. I based everything from the two D&D books I have the phb and dmg with the Efreeti being robbed on the front. (Like the US dice roller background). Think that is the correct edition.

Do you count 'studded leather ' as armour thieves are allowed to wear whilst doing thief skill checks. Some GM's do as it comes under a type of leather armour while others don't as it is classified as heavier and bulkier by design in the description.

Secondly, for weapon proficiency. I named 'Longswords' as a specific type, but would 'swords' cover all types. I am just trying to gauge game dynamics, if I pick up a spear and throw it at a creature 21'ft away I am supposedly -8 to hit.

Oh, if you start with 3001 xp not 3000, that 1 xp more means you can be 3rd level cleric ...

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#3 Post by atpollard »

Stirling wrote:Thank you for the invite to join the campaign. Looking forward to it.

Just a couple of questions. I based everything from the two D&D books I have the phb and dmg with the Efreeti being robbed on the front. (Like the US dice roller background). Think that is the correct edition.

Do you count 'studded leather ' as armour thieves are allowed to wear whilst doing thief skill checks. Some GM's do as it comes under a type of leather armour while others don't as it is classified as heavier and bulkier by design in the description.

Secondly, for weapon proficiency. I named 'Longswords' as a specific type, but would 'swords' cover all types. I am just trying to gauge game dynamics, if I pick up a spear and throw it at a creature 21'ft away I am supposedly -8 to hit.

Oh, if you start with 3001 xp not 3000, that 1 xp more means you can be 3rd level cleric ...
That sounds like the correct edition.

Studded Leather is fine for thief skills.

3001 XP is ok.

I will need to reread the combat and weapon proficiency rules before I can answer the remaining question, but as a general rule I view simpler as better and tend to employ common sense (how can a man be a master with a 3’ sword, but completely incapable of wielding a 2’ sword or a 3.5’ sword?)

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Rex »

How are we rolling abilities? 3d6, 4d6 drop lowest?

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#5 Post by Bluetongue »

I used the 3d6 method. I rolled an 18 and put this in strength. I can make a dual class character if that is okay. I was thinking half orc cleric fighter. The xp just makes him graduate into 2nd level cleric but he maxes out at fourth level.

I took full hp for each level halved and rolled the second level hp so he balances out at 12hp same as the thief character.

Bogarde 2nd level cleric hp+1 (halved for dual class) [1d8+1] = 3+1 = 4

Thought it might make some good role play scenarios having a devout cleric half-orc trying to make good in an evil environment. Hope that is okay. Sheet in the thread for your approval.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Rex »

I don't normally correct other players characters but will make a exception here. Both of your HP are wrong for max HP. A third level thief with no Con bonus should have 18 HP (6x3) and a 2nd/1st cleric/fighter with +1 HP/HD Con bonus should be 14 or 15, depending on how the DM rules you award the Con bonus for 2nd level, some award when the first class hits second, some when they are both second (10 for 1st/1st + 8/2=4 for cleric 2nd).

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#7 Post by Bluetongue »

I did read the intro in the LfP post. I interpreted it as full hp at first level rather than full hp each level. You would be quite overpowered with full hp. Bogarde would get d10+d8+d8+3 for 29hp. That sounds an awful lot.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Rex »

Maybe I am miss interpreted, wouldn't be the first time. The house rule says :
atpollard wrote:A place for House Rules as we have a need for them.
  1. ALIGNMENT: Characters Must be GOOD. You may be Lawful Good, Neutral Good or Chaotic Good. No restrictions on class except those of alignment.
  2. STARTING HP & XP: All Characters start out with Maximum HP (don’t bother rolling HP) and 3000 XP.
  3. STARTING MONEY (to buy equipment): LAWFUL Good characters start out with 2x Max for a first level character. NEUTRAL Good characters start out with 1x Max for a first level character. CHAOTIC Good characters start out with Max/2 for a first level character.

Could be either way. I am waiting to roll, what I run will depend what I roll. Looks like we have a cleric, thief and fighter/cleric so maybe a ranger would be a good fit if I can get the rolls.

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#9 Post by atpollard »

Rex wrote:How are we rolling abilities? 3d6, 4d6 drop lowest?
Any legitimate optional method is fine with me.
I just don't want to see three 18's and a lowest ability of 15 in a quadruple classed character.
Ask yourself this: "If we were sitting face to face, would the other players throw their snacks at you?" :lol:

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#10 Post by atpollard »

Looks like I need a House rule for DUAL CLASSED.

For the record, I am easy going with races and half-races unless you try to min-max the rules to the point that it interferes with the fun for other players. So half-orc is fine.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Rex »

I will give 4d6 drop lowest a try since I am trying for a Ranger. In the unlikely event I get crazy high numbers I will just re-roll.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Rex »

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Rex »

Mine is up for review, I need to finish his equipment but weapons & armor are complete.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Rex »

I think I am all set except for a background ans wasn't sure how we were going to handle that. Also, are we doing secondary skills from the DMG pg12?

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#15 Post by atpollard »

Rex wrote:I think I am all set except for a background ans wasn't sure how we were going to handle that. Also, are we doing secondary skills from the DMG pg12?
Sure, why not.
They are interesting and fun.

Hold up on the background until you get a feel for the World/Game and then you should have an idea how to write it up. I will introduce each character into the setting as quickly as possible. Alignment has a lot to do with how you enter the picture. I will start with the NG characters first for reasons that should quickly become apparent.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Rex »

Cool, I am going with Animal Husbandry. Maybe that will give him a tie in to a NPC.

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#17 Post by atpollard »

I need alignments for PCs.
Sorry, my browser didn't display the Character Sheets. I changed to another computer and saw them. So EVERYONE wants to be Neutral Good? There are no characters that believe in Self-reliance (Chaotic Good) or that want to be part of the organized resistance (Lawful Good). So be it ... you are closing the door to resources and sources of information, but as I said ... I create the world and the PLAYERS choose the direction of the Adventure.

The first post is up to give you a feel for the game ... any other NG characters are with the Clan at the ruins.
Everyone is with the Clan at the ruins.

There are MAPS available to look at (Bonus to the first person to ID the exact source of the map and image, including page number).

There is a list of NPCs at the Ruins. They are really just quick and dirty DM notes to keep track of people. Movement rate and THACOs probably have errors. They were quickly converted from unarmored humans to armored demi-humans. Just let me know if you spot any errors.

Things will start to happen soon.

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#18 Post by atpollard »

I stuck the name "the Clan" in as a neutral placeholder. If you want to call your community something else, then just let me know.

In general, the Clan are the people that fate and the Deities have placed into the hands of the Clerics to watch over and protect and guide. The ruin will serve as your "refuge", a safe base of operations from which to carry out attacks on evil. If you lead the Enemy back to this location, the Clan will at best, be forced to flee and at worst be wiped out. Either way, you will lose your place of refuge.

You will need to scout or question prisoners to learn about what is beyond your immediate surroundings.
The ruin is in a large clearing about a mile in diameter surrounded by dense forest. One previous Trollkin band came to explore the ruins and was killed by Giant Frogs in the pond (#1) and creatures living in the Tower (#1). The Clan lives in the Great Room (#6) and the Chamber (#7).

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#19 Post by Bluetongue »

Bogarde. Adjusted hp to reflect maximum starting score.

Map of castle. Ruined keep near the village of Hommlett on the way to the ToEE.

thenewflesh
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#20 Post by thenewflesh »

Edited my post in the character sheets thread. It is still skeletal and my current wealth is not correct - I can't find a way to edit it. Given what you said about Troll-kin, do languages like Dwarvish, Elvish, etc, still exist?

Return to “A Candle in the Darkness (1e)”