OOC Thread

atpollard
atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: OOC Thread

#41 Post by atpollard »

Dram wrote:I will be creating a CG Magic user, I did not see one in the group. The starting gold for a 2nd lvl Magic User is 80gp?
Just a few thoughts on your Elf FTR/MU:

Under the Dual Class House Rules, the earned XP are not halved and the required XP for each level are added together (so the character advances in both classes at the same time to avoid CONSTANT leveling up training. So the progression of a FTR/MU is
Level 2 = 4502 XP
Level 3 = 9002 XP
Level 4 = 18002 XP

The HP at each level is D7 (the average of 10 and 4) with MAX HP at the start.

3000 XP places you at FTR/MU 1 for 9 HP (7+2 con)

Just a thought, but an Elf MU 2 (2501-5000 XP) would have 12 HP (4 + 4 + 2 + 2).
The Character is yours so the concept and choice is yours. I just thought I would throw in my 2 cents on HP.
"welcoming humbly His light and proudly His darkness" - e.e. cummings

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#42 Post by atpollard »

Modric wrote:Character sheet posted. Just need background.

Can someone share the fighter saving throws? Thx!
A quick observation:
You have chainmail and a shield.
You have a Bastard Sword (a sword with a longer blade and handle that allows it to be wielded with one hand or gripped with two hands for extra damage).
You have a Footman's Flail (a flail with a long handle like a quarterstaff or polearm that is held in two hands so the footman can reach a mounted soldier).

When using your shield, you can only use your dagger to full effect.
Are you sure that you want this combination of weapons and armor?

A shield can be used with any one handed weapon: Longsword, Horseman's flail, Morningstar, Horseman's Mace.

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#43 Post by Bluetongue »

Bogarde

Is he at the ruins of some place else?

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#44 Post by atpollard »

Bluetongue wrote:Bogarde

Is he at the ruins of some place else?
At the ruins if you decide to keep him NG and someplace else if you decide to make him LG.

I introduced the NG Clan starting out at the Ruins.
I just introduced the CG lone Elf approaching the ruins behind a Troll-kin patrol.
I plan on introducing the LG Paladin (or Paladin and Boargde together) as soon as the Paladin is ready to go ... probably tomorrow.

I was waiting to hear your final decision about Alignment before I deleted the old posts by Bogarde. I can delete, but I cannot undelete.

... FYI: I posted some stuff in the background on Clerics and Deities and Spells that you might find interesting.

Bluetongue
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#45 Post by Bluetongue »

I will adjust his alignment and starting gold, inventory on character sheet.
You could leave Bogarde's ruin posts as his suggestions could have easily been voiced by the gnome or one of the dwarves.

I will post in the thread with the paladin when it is up.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by Stirling »

Do you want to create seperate action threads fir each group until the different alignments come together?

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#47 Post by atpollard »

Stirling wrote:Do you want to create seperate action threads fir each group until the different alignments come together?
I would have if it was going to be an extended separation, but the Patrol is heading towards the ruins and the LG party is heading to the ruins so all three groups should be united by this afternoon (it is 10 AM). I figured that one thread was less fuss for the short term.

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#48 Post by atpollard »

Stirling wrote:how big are the 'large hawks'?
Four foot wingspan, so bigger than you want pecking your eyes out but not something to carry off a grown halfling.
Stirling wrote:maybe if Bogarde moves on we can get an extra 1/2 orc npc to make up the 'beef'?
Chill, everyone is heading to the ruins and is within hours of arrival.
Ideally, you will see some benefit to working together rather than fighting evil alone.

Modric
Guide
Guide

#49 Post by Modric »

Gotcha on the weapons. I'll revise.

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#50 Post by atpollard »

Bluetongue wrote:did we walk or ride here? I ask because with my extra LG money I equipped a horse. Don't mind if it is stabled back in the temple.
You probably did both. Currently, you are walking your horse because you need to cut a path through the dense forest underbrush and cutting a 6' tall path is easier than cutting a 10' tall path.

Just as a point of information, Horses need to be fed grain, but mules can survive by foraging. It was the reason that mules were so popular among miners and prospectors and early pioneers. Either way is good with me, I just thought I would share that fact.

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#51 Post by atpollard »

thenewflesh wrote:Hadrian bows his head.
And he takes his leave for an hour to pray for spells.
FYI:
HOUSE RULE "To add some of the 'color' from later editions to the relationship between a Cleric and their Deity, here are some rules changes for Cleric Spell Casting ..."

So Father Hadrian has the following PREFERRED SPELLS Permanently Memorized:
Level 1: Animal Friendship (D); Cure Light Wound; Locate Animals (D)
Level 2: Locate Plants (D); Slow Poison; Speak with Animals
... and his Wis 15 grants him the ability to cast Two (2) Level 1 and One (1) Level 2 spells from his Preferred Spells per day.

In addition, a CLERIC-3 can pray for (memorize) Two (2) first and One (1) second level spell from the Players Handbook or Unearthed Arcana Cleric Spell lists.
HINT: Do not "memorize any of the PREFERRED SPELLS since a PREFERRED SPELL can be substituted for a memorized spell and cast at any time, plus you already have the WISDOM BONUS spells to cast from the PREFERRED SPELL list.

So Father Hadrian's Memorized Spells look like this:

Level 1
(wis) Animal Friendship or Cure Light Wound or Locate Animals
(wis) Animal Friendship or Cure Light Wound or Locate Animals
Player choose
Player choose

Level 2
(wis) Locate Plants or Slow Poison or Speak with Animals
Player choose

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#52 Post by atpollard »

Bluetongue wrote:Having cast the spell Command he indicates with his fingers for the humanoid to draw near, inviting him with the utterance, "Fellowship."
Just an FYI for you as well.
I went and added SAINT CUTHBERT to the Deities for your use. [HERE]

You now have a choice between worshiping UKKO with the UKKO Preferred Spells:
(Lvl 1) Command or Light or Precipitation (U)
(Lvl 2) Augury or Chant or Dust Devil (U)
(Lvl 3) Cloudburst (U) or Remove Curse
(Lvl 4) Divination or Protection from Evil, 10’r

or worshiping ST CUTHBERT with the ST CUTHBERT Preferred Spells:
(Lvl 1) Command or Shillelagh (D)
(Lvl 2) Know Alignment or Chant
(Lvl 3) Create food and Water
(Lvl 4) Protection from Evil, 10’r

Choose whichever you prefer for your Cleric (both have "Command" so it doesn't impact your post).

So Bogarde, Cleric of UKKO's spells would look like this:
Level 1
(wis) Command or Light or Precipitation (U) ... chosen at the moment of casting.
Player choose
Player choose

and Bogarde, Cleric of St Cuthbert's spells would look like this:
Level 1
(wis) Command or Shillelagh (D) ... chosen at the moment of casting.
Player choose
Player choose

And either way, Bogarde can always choose to cast one of the Preferred Spells in place of a memorized Player Choice spell. (for example, if Bogarde, Cleric of St Cuthbert had chosen Cure Light Wounds and Resist Cold as his two memorized spells, he could cast Command as his Wis bonus spell, then cast Cure Light Wounds from his memorized spells and then cast Shillelagh as a replacement for his memorized "Resist Cold".)

Does that make sense or am I explaining it badly?

thenewflesh
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#53 Post by thenewflesh »

Just to be clear, this means I wake up with 2 first-level, and 1 second-level, spells ready to cast each day, and may additionally pray for another 2 first-level and 1 second-level spell, right?

Does holding a weapon in one hand and having a shield on the other arm interfere with casting spells which have a somatic component?

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#54 Post by atpollard »

thenewflesh wrote:Just to be clear, this means I wake up with 2 first-level, and 1 second-level, spells ready to cast each day, and may additionally pray for another 2 first-level and 1 second-level spell, right?
Yes ... and ALL of the Preferred Spells are ALWAYS memorized, so they just need an uncast spell slot to cast any one of them.
thenewflesh wrote:Does holding a weapon in one hand and having a shield on the other arm interfere with casting spells which have a somatic component?
It does unless the "somatic component" is twerking. :shock:

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#55 Post by Rex »

Is Aari at the same shrine and if so does he hear or see any of what is going on?

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#56 Post by atpollard »

Rex wrote:Is Aari at the same shrine and if so does he hear or see any of what is going on?
No, they are beyond the 1 mile range into the forest (Probably closer to 5 miles from the Ruins and traveling at 2 mph in the dense forest.)

The Elf MU is closer at about 3 miles from the ruins (about an hour away) but still far beyond the clearing that you are patrolling.

The Clan Party wanted some time to deal with the ruins before anyTHING else arrived, so I gave it to you. Otherwise I would have just started with the arrival of the Patrol that the Elf is following at the Ruins.

So all things come to those that wait. :)

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#57 Post by atpollard »

The CLAN at the ruin has Rats and a Giant Raccoon and Hawks and Bees and an Alligator and Giant Frogs to deal with (or not). Just post what you intend to do and I can respond to it. Unless I missed something, the CLAN left off with a plan to communicate with Hawks and Wolves that is waiting on the Cleric to make the first move (in about an hour).

If anything changes before then, just let me know.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by Rex »

I have to wait on the cleric for the wolves and hawks. I will most a move on the racoon well the Cleric meditates.

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#59 Post by atpollard »

Rex wrote:I have to wait on the cleric for the wolves and hawks. I will most a move on the racoon well the Cleric meditates.
OK.

To all: I split the action threads for clarity.
Would Phaeus like to join Aari in attacking the Giant Raccoon now, or just wait for the Cleric to deal with the Hawks & Wolves in an hour?

thenewflesh
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#60 Post by thenewflesh »

Alright, let me know when the hour has passed.
thenewflesh wrote:Does holding a weapon in one hand and having a shield on the other arm interfere with casting spells which have a somatic component?
It does unless the "somatic component" is twerking. :shock:[/quote]
:shock: So do I need both hands free to cast spells with a somatic component, or just the one?

Return to “A Candle in the Darkness (1e)”