The Green Dragon Inn

Paladin
Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

The Green Dragon Inn

#1 Post by Paladin »

Feel free to introduce your characters here and sort out any business you may have before venturing to the dungeon.

100 years ago the sorcerer Zenopus
built a tower on the low hills overlooking Portown. The
tower was close to the sea cliff west of the town and,
appropriately, next door to the graveyard.

Rumor has it that the magician made extensive
cellars and tunnels underneath the tower. The town is
located on the ruins of a much older city of doubtful
history and Zenopus was said to excavate in his cellars
in search of ancient treasures.

Fifty years ago, on a cold wintry night, the wizard's
tower was suddenly engulfed in green flame. Several
of his human servants escaped the holocaust, saying
their master had been destroyed by some powerful
force he had unleashed in the depths of the tower.

Needless to say the tower stood vacant for a while after
this, but then the neighbors and the night watchmen
complained that ghostly blue lights appeared in the
windows at night, that ghastly screams could be heard
emanating from the tower at all hours, and goblin
figures could be seen dancing on the tower roof in the
moonlight.

Finally the authorities had a catapult rolled
through the streets of the town and the tower was bat-
tered to rubble. This stopped the hauntings but the
townsfolk continue to shun the ruins.

The entrance to the old dungeons can be easily located as a flight of broad stone steps leading down into darkness, but the few adventurous souls who have descended into crypts below the ruin have either reported only empty stone
corridors or have failed to return at all. Other magic-users have moved into the town but the site of the old tower remains abandoned.

Whispered tales are told of fabulous treasure and un-
speakable monsters in the underground passages
below the hilltop, and the story tellers are always
careful to point out that the reputed dungeons lie in
close proximity to the foundations of the older, pre-
human city, to the graveyard, and to the sea.

Portown is a small but busy city linking the caravan
routes from the south to the merchant ships that dare
the pirate-infested waters of the Northern Sea. Humans
and non-humans from all over the globe meet here.

The Green Dragon Inn is a low, timber-framed building with wattle and daub walls covered in gleaming plaster and a freshly-thatched roof. The spacious common room is punctuated by a massive stone hearth where a bed of coals glows around the clock.

A pot of savory stew simmers continuously, added to daily to provide food for the travelers and locals who sit beneath the age and smoke-blackened oak beams to take their ease. Warm mead and cold ale flow freely along with stout beer and imported wines.

Here, adventurers gather to share rumors and hatch plots to raid the dungeon and surrounding ruins. Welcome to Portown. Discovery awaits.
Last edited by Paladin on Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: The Green Dragon Inn

#2 Post by redwarrior »

Nanoc sits wearily at a table, drinking a large tankard of ale. Morosely considering his small pouch holding his remaining coins, he wonders if he wouldn't have been better off staying in his village. After a year studying under Tulsa, he knows several things - He wasn't the fastest, the strongest, or the hardiest of his peers. But he is brave, even foolhardy. He needs to strike out soon to earn some coin to pay his father and family back for their trust in him. Ah well, he muses to himself, it is fun swinging that axe. Cheered, he calls the barmaid over and orders another tankard of ale, and another for her, if she'll drink it with him.

redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#3 Post by redwarrior »

Rowanson sits by himself away from the fire, sipping mulled wine, and watching the crowd in the Inn intently. Wearing loose dark green shirt and pants - he never cared for those silly robes and hats! - with his staff and dagger near at hand, he scans the room. Maybe that big, dull human attempting to mate with the server?

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Rex »

Chad

Chad wanders in to the Inn, he had walked all day and was mighty thirsty. Unfortunately he didn't have much coin for food and drink. Drink it would be then.

He saw the loan boy, watching the barmaid flirt with another youngen. Might as well have some company. He sits down across the table from Rowanson.

"Hail, I am Chad Bloodyfists! Warrior of the Bloodyfists Clan."

redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#5 Post by redwarrior »

Rex wrote:Chad"Hail, I am Chad Bloodyfists! Warrior of the Bloodyfists Clan."
Rowanson smiles over his wine at the burly dwarf. Well met, friend Chad! I am Rowanson, dabbler in the mystic arts. How are you this fine day? Have you perchance come to explore the ruins under the local tower?

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Rex »

Chad

"I was considering it, yes. Work has been short as of late and they say he left a treasure horde behind. Are you considering it?"

redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#7 Post by redwarrior »

Rowanson

Indeed, it is why I am here. There are rumors that secrets of the old wizard have long been locked away. I desire to add to my store of arcane knowledge. I am hoping to find several likeminded individuals here, especially the strong of arms like yourself. I've been watching that boy over there he points at Nanoc and judging by the way he looks at that nearly empty pouch, I'm sure he would join us. But I feel that we should wait to see how he fairs with the barmaid. I expect poorly, given how clumsy he is. But we shall see.

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#8 Post by ToniXX »

Cecily is sitting alone, sipping mead and eating some hard cheese and bread. She listens intently to the conversation between Rowanson and Chad. She finishes her food and picks up her mug and walks over to their table.

Hello young friends... I am Cecily, messenger of Islene, the fair goddess of honesty and glory. I, too, and looking to raid the ruins under the old tower and would join you on your adventure. Don't let my looks beguile you: I am strong of body and mind, and am driven by my goddess to spread word of her greatness. May I sit and join you?
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Rex »

Chad

"Of course, sit." Chad pats the bench next to him.

"Always good to have the right number along, two being to few I think. I am Chad and this is Rowanson."

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#10 Post by tibbius »

Orrim sighs and gracefully rises from its seat in the far corner. "It seems a convention of venturers has started," it states as it drifts past Nanoc's table. "Come, leave Hilda alone; she's tired from last night, aren't you dear? Let's not be left out of the riches told in story." It fondly rubs the barmaid's shoulder as it passes - and hands her a silver coin.

Standing next to the table occupied by other hard-looking types, Orrim nods to Rowanson. "Fellow craft," it says, "let's hope well met. How are you?" It adjusts its garments to be briefly more presentable, although there's nothing remarkable about what it's wearing. Nor is there anything noteworthy about its face or voice or posture; indeed, each of the others at the table might differ whether Orrim is male or female, and each might strongly contend that it is masculine or feminine without anyone considering androgyne. Even the pitch of its voice is indeterminate, between tenor and husky alto maybe.
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#11 Post by redwarrior »

Nanoc rolls his eyes and calls out to Orrim's back Well, you get them ready for me and shout when they are warmed up! so saying, he returns his attentions to Hilda Speaking of ready....

Rowanson looks up at Orrim and smiles, Well met, Fellow Craft. I take it that you have come with your chisel to yon broken column? Please, join us.

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#12 Post by tibbius »

"Thank you," Orrim answers. "Yes, I've come to work the fallen places." Glancing around the table it adds, "It seems we have a goodly group for a venture. Hey, sir," it calls to Nanoc, "would you and Hilda like to join us for a while? There's business to discuss, and being local, she might know more than we do."
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#13 Post by ToniXX »

Cecily sits down and sips from her mug as the others introduce themselves.
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#14 Post by Paladin »

"No, but I will." A sun-browned man ushers the girls back to their duties with a wave of his broad palm. He seats himself and gestures for another round of drinks. "This one's on the house. Now...what's this I hear about ruins?"

He isn't particularly large or imposing, but there is a capable air about the weather-beaten man. Equal parts wisdom and laughter lurk in his pale blue eyes, and a smile hovers round one corner of his mouth.

"There's many a traveler, such as yourself, what gathers here to set off for the unknown. And that's the last we hear from them. It's said this whole town--" he makes an expansive gesture--"sits on the ruins of an older city. It was half-sunken into the ground when humans first landed here and robbed the stones for building their houses. Or so I'm told. Who knows what all lies undiscovered hereabouts?" He smiles as the drinks arrive. "Thank you, lass. Run along now. There's others to be served. That's a good girl."

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Rex »

Chad

"I wonder who built the original city if not men. I haven't heard any legends of it among my people, just the story of the tower itself."

It drinks the ale, relishing it.

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#16 Post by tibbius »

"Yes," says Orrim, "there is not even much speculation regarding the antecedent civilization. The research I've seen suggests that it wasn't elves, dwarves, or even orcs or any of the known elder races. Have you heard otherwise?" it asks of Rowanson. "By the way, my name is Orrim." It extends a soft, strong, barely hairy hand.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Rex »

Chad

Chad clasps Orrim's forearm and gives it a strong squeeze, "Well met Orrim, I am Chad of Clan Bloodyfists."

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#18 Post by tibbius »

Orrim smiles gently at the burly dwarf. "Well met, indeed. Mighty thews would be good to have in the dangerous places where students of ancient lore must tread."
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#19 Post by Paladin »

The world-weary inkeeper hides a secret smile beneath his mustache. "There are those who seek answers to such questions hereabouts," he says with a vague gesture toward the other patrons in the common room. "One who researches the arcane. Others who delve into mysteries." He winks at the quieter members of the group.

"You're welcome to lurk here and wait for adventure to find you. Or you can reach out and take it." He makes a snatching motion, then leans over the table and lowers his voice to a conspiratorial whisper. "The cliffs to the west are crawling with pirates and ne'r do wells carving caves and tunnels to hide their loot. Turn north by west and you'll find a jumble of ruins left by the Old Ones." His grin widens. "And there's more. Much more."

He pushes himself upright with a grunt and heads toward the kitchen. "But it's time for old men to clean the kitchen and prepare for the night's revelry. Farewell. Good hunting."

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#20 Post by tibbius »

"Huh. That's an urge to adventure! Shall we follow up on it and brave the ruins tonight?"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Return to “The Ruined Tower of Zenopus (Holmes Basic)”