Holmes Basic Rules Download

Paladin

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Holmes Basic Rules Download

#2 Post by Rex »

I can help answer any question, I have the original printing and all the BlueHolmes stuff.

Valdus
Tracker
Tracker

#3 Post by Valdus »

How was this different than Red Box- Moldvay?

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Rex »

Similar. The big difference is not race as class, Dwarves and Halflings could be thieves or fighters. Scrolls can be made at 1st level. It encourages you to house rule and run whatever you want. 5 alignments instead of 3. There are a few more but those are the big ones.

atpollard
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#5 Post by atpollard »

Valdus wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:43 pm How was this different than Red Box- Moldvay?
BLUEHOLMES is available on DTRPG for "Pay What You Want" so you can get it for free and check it out. HOLMES appears to have the same level of simplicity as the Moldvay Red Box, but be more like AD&D 1ed with respect to Class and Race. From what I remember of the Red Box, as an example, playing an Elf automatically meant being an Elf FTR/MU ... Elf was both a Class and Race combined. In BLUEHOLMES, one can pick Race and Class separately, so one could be a Human MU or an ELF MU or a Human FTR or an ELF FTR or an ELF FTR/MU.

For Weapons and Damage, BLUEHOLM has "classes" of weapons (Light, Normal, Heavy) with optional rules for all light weapons to do 2 ATT/R at 1D4, all Normal Weapons to do 1 ATT/R at 1D6 (used 1 handed with a shield) and all Heavy weapons to do 1 ATT/R at 1D10 (used 2 handed without a shield). The Red Box had different damage for each weapon (like AD&D 1ed). The base rules for BLUEHOLM were all weapons do 1 ATT/R at 1D6.

So there were lots of small differences that impacted the details, but growing up on the Red Box and only recently discovering BLUEHOLM, I wish I had known about it long ago. I like the changes and I like the way Mr. Holmes thought about Game Design.
"welcoming humbly His light and proudly His darkness" - e.e. cummings

Paladin
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#6 Post by Paladin »

Holmes has become my jam lately. It's basically a more concise, well-edited version of OD&D.

And I don't blame anyone for the rush job on the editing of the original books. They were on a tight time frame and made it work. But Holmes does clear several things up. And it lessens the frequency of encountering wandering monsters and reduces the chances of encountering enemies completely out of your league at 1st level. Doesn't eliminate it, but still helps.

I still run the 3 lbb's in 90% of my games, but Basic is quickly making some elbow room at my table.

Return to “The Ruined Tower of Zenopus (Holmes Basic)”