Pregame Q&A

dmw71
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: Pregame Q&A

#121 Post by dmw71 »

I was hoping to begin character review this past weekend, but there is just too much going on right now. Hopefully soon.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#122 Post by dmw71 »

dmw71 wrote:I was hoping to begin character review this past weekend, but there is just too much going on right now. Hopefully soon.
Okay, I am just now starting to review the characters already added to the campaign created in D&D Beyond. At this point, I am going to say both Dram and jemmus are out.
Neither have contributed here in the forum, and I don't have a character even started from either in D&D Beyond.

That leaves us with seven... which is a bit large for one group and a bit too small for two. We'll see.
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#123 Post by dmw71 »

dmw71 wrote:I am going to say both Dram and jemmus are out.
Dram is back in so we're back up to eight.
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#124 Post by dmw71 »

I am reviewing characters now and will post any questions I have here. Starting with Scott.

Scott, did you start to build Gruuthuk as a barbarian at any point? I'm only asking because I still see resistances show up which are only in effect when raging:
Raging.jpg
Raging.jpg (24.48 KiB) Viewed 2597 times

Also, as I'm building out the footer information I normally include at the bottom of each action post, I'm realizing it is going to be HUGE!

So I need to ask: Do you guys actually use these footers? If so, for what? Hit points? Anything else?

If not, I'm thinking I might actually just include a minimum amount of detail in the footer section I include in my posts (you guys can let me know what you use) and keep detailed notes like below in a private forum for my use since I use it heavily, for everything:

Scott, can you review the below detail for Gruuthuk and let me know if there are any errors, or if I'm missing anything?[/ooc]

Gruuthuk (Scott308)

Race: Bugbear | Background: Criminal (Spy) | Class: Rogue (5) | Archetype: Assassin
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral | Gender: Male | Size: Medium | Height: 7'6" | Weight: 362 lbs | Reach: 5' (Long-Limbed: 10')
Initiative Bonus: +3 | Proficiency Bonus: +3

Rations: 10 | Water: 2

Hit Dice: 5 | Hit Points: 36
  • Temporary HP: 0
Armor Class: 16 | Flat Footed AC: 13 | Speed: 30 ft.
  • 12: Studded Leather
    +3: Dexterity
    +1: Dual Wielder (Feat, 4)
Other
  • Assassinate (Assassin, 3)
    • You have advantage on attack rolls against any creature that hasn’t taken a turn in the combat yet. In addition, any hit you score against a creature that is surprised is a critical hit.
  • Sneak Attack (Rogue, 1): 3d6
    • Once per turn, you can deal an extra 1d6 damage to one creature you hit with an attack if you have advantage on the attack roll. The attack must use a finesse or a ranged weapon.

You don’t need advantage on the attack roll if another enemy of the target is within 5 feet of it, that enemy isn’t incapacitated, and you don’t have disadvantage on the attack roll.
  • Surprise Attack (Bugbear)
    • If you surprise a creature and hit it with an attack on your first turn in combat, the attack deals an extra 2d6 damage to it. You can use this trait only once per combat.
Actions
  • Rapier (x2)
    • To Hit: +6 | Damage: 1d8+3 Piercing | Reach: 10' | Properties: Finesse
  • Dagger (x2)
    • To Hit: +6 | Damage: 1d4+3 Piercing | Reach: 10' | Range: 20' (60') | Properties: Finesse, Light, Thrown
  • Shortbow (Arrows: 20)
    • To Hit: +6 | Damage: 1d6+3 Piercing | Range: 80' (320') | Properties: Ammunition, Range, Two-Handed
Spells
  • None
Bonus Actions
  • Two-Weapon Fighting (Core Rule)
    • When you take the Attack action and attack with a light melee weapon that you're holding in one hand, you can use a bonus action to attack with a different light melee weapon that you're holding in the other hand. You don't add your ability modifier to the damage of the bonus attack, unless that modifier is negative.

If either weapon has the thrown property, you can throw the weapon, instead of making a melee attack with it.
  • Cunning Action (Rogue, 2)
    • You can take a bonus action on each of your turns in combat. This action can be used only to take the Dash, Disengage, or Hide action.
Reactions
  • Opportunity Attack (Core Rule)
    • You can make an opportunity attack when a hostile creature that you can see moves out of your reach. To make the opportunity attack, you use your reaction to make one melee attack against the provoking creature. The attack occurs right before the creature leaves your reach.

You can avoid provoking an opportunity attack by taking the Disengage action. You also don't provoke an opportunity attack when you teleport or when someone or something moves you without using your movement, action, or reaction.
  • Uncanny Dodge (Rogue, 5)
    • Starting at 5th level, when an attacker that you can see hits you with an attack, you can use your reaction to halve the attack’s damage against you.

Now, imagine the above for eight characters (some of which will cast spells)!
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#125 Post by dmw71 »

dmw71 wrote:I'm thinking I might actually just include a minimum amount of detail in the footer section I include in my posts...
Actually, disregard this.

As you may have noticed, I think I'm going to manage the detailed footer information for each character separately as announcement-type posts:

I will still include basic details about each character at the bottom of each action post (and links to these individual announcement posts), but it's extremely cumbersome updating this level of detail for eight different characters. Breaking them out like this will be more updates for me, but each update will be more manageable.

As always, any thoughts, feedback, suggestions are welcomed.
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#126 Post by dmw71 »

dmw71 wrote:I think I'm going to manage the detailed footer information for each character separately as announcement-type posts...
Seperate public sub-forums could also be created for this purpose... and I'm kind of leaning in that direction since I'll have better control over their placement.
-- Project --
-- DM --

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#127 Post by thirdkingdom »

dmw71 wrote:
dmw71 wrote:I think I'm going to manage the detailed footer information for each character separately as announcement-type posts...
Seperate public sub-forums could also be created for this purpose... and I'm kind of leaning in that direction since I'll have better control over their placement.
Whichever you prefer is fine!

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#128 Post by dmw71 »

thirdkingdom wrote:Whichever you prefer is fine!
Now I'm starting to lean towards just including all the details in the actual post like I normally do (but spoilering the less important details for each character).

It will be easier (technically) to have each character separated, but having to update some information in the post, and other information in a separate thread or forum... I can see that leading to mistakes.
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#129 Post by dmw71 »

Next up is: Hadrian

sulldawga, there's a problem with your selected spells. Three of your four 1st-level spells come from the Elemental Evil companion (which is available if you select your +1 source as Xanathar's Guide to Everything), but you're drawing from Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide.

Your cantrips are fine, so is Witch Bolt, but I'm afraid the other three will need to be swapped out for spells from either the PHB or SCAG:

• Cantrips (2)
    Green-Flame Blade (SCAG)
    Sword Burst (SCAG)

1st-Level (4)
    Absorb Elements (EE)
    Earth Tremor (EE)
    Ice Knife (EE)

Witch Bolt (PHB)
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#130 Post by dmw71 »

dmw71 wrote:Next up is: Hadrian

sulldawga, there's a problem with your selected spells.
A few other things in addition to the previously mentioned spells.

Can you please:
  1. Add a height and a weight for him.
  2. Select the Personality Traits, Ideals, Bonds, and Flaws (from the Noble background).
  3. Also, we're also going to need to discuss (in your private forum) your noble background.

Otherwise, Hadrian looks good.

Please review the following to make sure everything is accurate and I'm not forgetting something (also found here):

---

Hadrian (sulldawga) Race: Human | Background: Waterdhavian Noble | Class: Fighter (5) | Archetype: Eldritch Knight
Alignment: Lawful Neutral | Gender: Male | Size: Medium | Height: -- | Weight: -- | Reach: 5' (Whip: 10')
Initiative Bonus: +2 | Proficiency Bonus: +3

Rations: 10 | Water: 2

Hit Dice: 5 | Hit Points: 38
  • Temporary HP: 0
Armor Class: 16 | Flat Footed AC: 16 | Speed: 30 ft.
  • 16: Chain Mail
    Note: Disadvantage on Stealth
Other
  • Feature: Kept in Style (Background)
    • While you are in Waterdeep or elsewhere in the North, your house sees to your everyday needs. Your name and signet are sufficient to cover most of your expenses; the inns, taverns, and festhalls you frequent are glad to record your debt and send an accounting to your family’s estate in Waterdeep to settle what you owe.

This advantage enables you to live a comfortable lifestyle without having to pay 2 gp a day for it, or reduces the cost of a wealthy or aristocratic lifestyle by that amount. You may not maintain a less affluent lifestyle and use the difference as income—the benefit is a line of credit, not an actual monetary reward.
  • Fighting Style: Dueling (Fighter, 1)
    • When you are wielding a melee weapon in one hand and no other weapons, you gain a +2 bonus to damage rolls with that weapon.
  • Action Surge (Fighter, 2): 1
    • On your turn, you can take one additional action.

Once you use this feature, you must finish a short or long rest before you can use it again.
  • Extra Attack (Fighter, 5)
    • Beginning at 5th level, you can attack twice, instead of once, whenever you take the Attack action on your turn.
  • Weapon Bond (Eldritch Knight, 3)
    • At 3rd level, you learn a ritual that creates a magical bond between yourself and one weapon. You perform the ritual over the course of 1 hour, which can be done during a short rest. The weapon must be within your reach throughout the ritual, at the conclusion of which you touch the weapon and forge the bond.

Once you have bonded a weapon to yourself, you can’t be disarmed of that weapon unless you are incapacitated. If it is on the same plane of existence, you can summon that weapon as a bonus action on your turn, causing it to teleport instantly to your hand.

You can have up to two bonded weapons, but can summon only one at a time with your bonus action. If you attempt to bond with a third weapon, you must break the bond with one of the other two.
Actions
  • Longsword
    • To Hit: +6 | Damage: 1d8+5 Slashing | Reach: 5' | Properties: Versatile (1d10+3)
    • Note: Green Flame Blade (Extra 1d8 damage to primary target plus 1d8+3 damage (Intelligence modifier) to second target within 5'.)
  • Whip
    • To Hit: +6 | Damage: 1d4+5 Slashing | Reach: 10' | Range: 20' (60') | Properties: Finesse, Reach, Bonded
    • Note: Green Flame Blade (Extra 1d8 damage to primary target plus 1d8+3 damage (Intelligence modifier) to second target within 5'.)
  • Light Crossbow (Bolts: 20)
    • To Hit: +5 | Damage: 1d8+2 Piercing | Range: 80' (320') | Properties: Ammunition, Loading, Range, Two-Handed
Spells
  • Spell Attack: +6
    Save DC: 14
    Spellcasting Ability: Intelligence (+3)
    ---
    Spell Slots: 3
    ---
    Spells Known

Bonus Actions
  • Two-Weapon Fighting (Core Rule)
    • When you take the Attack action and attack with a light melee weapon that you're holding in one hand, you can use a bonus action to attack with a different light melee weapon that you're holding in the other hand. You don't add your ability modifier to the damage of the bonus attack, unless that modifier is negative.

If either weapon has the thrown property, you can throw the weapon, instead of making a melee attack with it.
  • Second Wind (Fighter, 1): 1
    • On your turn, you can use a bonus action to regain hit points equal to 1d10 + your fighter level. Once you use this feature, you must finish a short or long rest before you can use it again.
Reactions
  • Opportunity Attack (Core Rule)
    • You can make an opportunity attack when a hostile creature that you can see moves out of your reach. To make the opportunity attack, you use your reaction to make one melee attack against the provoking creature. The attack occurs right before the creature leaves your reach.

You can avoid provoking an opportunity attack by taking the Disengage action. You also don't provoke an opportunity attack when you teleport or when someone or something moves you without using your movement, action, or reaction.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#131 Post by Scott308 »

To answer a couple of your questions, Dave, I did originally start Gruthuuk as a barbarian. I reworked a character that I didn't end up using, and since I was limited for characters and could not create a new one, changed his class as I liked the character basics. I thought I had gotten rid of everything, but apparently it is better in the future to just go with a new character as opposed to changing class or race.

As for the footer info, I do use it. Not as much for my own character, since I keep the tab on Beyond open (I do use the footer for spells and HP), but I do look at the info for the other characters.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: OOC I

#132 Post by Dram »

I am playing Jacxor Ironforge a Eladrin Ranger. Is there a way to add the stats to play a Gloomwalker/Ranger from Xanathars Guide to DND Beyond?
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#133 Post by dmw71 »

Dram wrote:I am playing Jacxor Ironforge a Eladrin Ranger. Is there a way to add the stats to play a Gloomwalker/Ranger from Xana I'm notthars Guide to DND Beyond?
I'm not sure what an "Eladrin" is, so let's start there. I'm on my phone so maybe I'm missing something, but the only mention of Eladrin as a player race I'm finding is the following:
  • "Eladrin (Variant)
    This version of the eladrin originally appeared in the Dungeon Master's Guide as an example for creating your own subraces."
Was it added into a rulebook as an official race later? If so, which? I can review it if that's the case, but it isn't found in Xanathar's.

You can only pick one non-PHB source, so I'd strongly recommend picking the aspect of the character you're most interested in and start there. If Gloom Stalker ranger, then pick XGtE as your +1.

If it's that race, I hope it's in an allowed sourcebook because the DMG isn't one of them.
-- Project --
-- DM --

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#134 Post by ravenn4544 »

Just a heads up I see a 'Gruuthuk' in my private forum below my own folder.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#135 Post by dmw71 »

ravenn4544 wrote:Just a heads up I see a 'Gruuthuk' in my private forum below my own folder.
Just confirming:

You see it beneath your private forum, not in your private forum, right?

If so, that's as intended (for now).
-- Project --
-- DM --

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#136 Post by Rex »

I see it beneath my private fum , not in it.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#137 Post by ravenn4544 »

I assumed the top forum is my private one
Attachments
The Unseen Servant forums • View forum - Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e).png
The Unseen Servant forums • View forum - Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e).png (165.13 KiB) Viewed 2571 times

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#138 Post by dmw71 »

How you guys were seeing it was as intended. I've scrapped that idea, though, so that public sub-forum has been deleted.

I'm almost certain I will continue to just keep everything at the bottom of the post, like normal. Just more organized with most of the details for each character hidden.

For now, as I create the footer information for each character, I will be creating a new 'announcement' post for each. Here is where I will post these footer details, and also provide my feedback and ask any questions. It is also where you will each individually review the footer sections for your characters to make sure everything is included and accurate. These 'announcement' posts will eventually be removed as well.

Note, creating these footers is a timely process, and I need to do it eight times. I know many of you are anxious to get this game started (I am, too... kind of), but there will be a delay as I continue to work through and finalize all these detailed reviews.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#139 Post by Scott308 »

dmw71 wrote:
Dram wrote:I am playing Jacxor Ironforge a Eladrin Ranger. Is there a way to add the stats to play a Gloomwalker/Ranger from Xana I'm notthars Guide to DND Beyond?
I'm not sure what an "Eladrin" is, so let's start there. I'm on my phone so maybe I'm missing something, but the only mention of Eladrin as a player race I'm finding is the following:
  • "Eladrin (Variant)
    This version of the eladrin originally appeared in the Dungeon Master's Guide as an example for creating your own subraces."
Was it added into a rulebook as an official race later? If so, which? I can review it if that's the case, but it isn't found in Xanathar's.

You can only pick one non-PHB source, so I'd strongly recommend picking the aspect of the character you're most interested in and start there. If Gloom Stalker ranger, then pick XGtE as your +1.

If it's that race, I hope it's in an allowed sourcebook because the DMG isn't one of them.
The Eladrin is a subrace of Elf and is in Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#140 Post by ravenn4544 »

Thx for clarifying.

Would it be easier if each character maintained their own footer to prevent you from having to manage all that? I’m happy to do it and easy to use a standard one for all of us so you can check them more easily. I’m happy to do that - I’m interested in hps, sorcery points, spells, etc.

Just a thought.

Return to “Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)”