Pregame Q&A

dmw71
dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: Pregame Q&A

#161 Post by dmw71 »

dmw71 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:50 pm Dram, please pick a different background for Jacxor.
Monsieur Rose, same for you. The 'Urban Bounty Hunter' background is from Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide and you're using Xanathar's Guide to Everything as your +1 for your race.

The same list is available for you to choose from:
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#162 Post by dmw71 »

thirdkingdom, you still need to purchase equipment for Sigard. Also, did you pick a +1 source?
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#163 Post by dmw71 »

ravenn4544, you picked the archaeologist background (from the 'Tomb of Annihilation' module) but I will allow it as an exception if you want to stick with it. Otherwise, you will have the same list of backgrounds as the others to choose from:
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#164 Post by dmw71 »

There are a few minor details that require attention to a few characters (detailed above), but otherwise we should be ready to start this weekend.

I have created (a locked) topic with the character details in the footer section: Dungeon Level 1.

It is must more abbreviated than my previous efforts but still capture (I think) everything I look for at a glance. Please review the details from your character for accuracy/completeness and post here once you're done.

We'll be moving soon!
-- Project --
-- DM --

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#165 Post by Marullus »

Looks good as always! It's amazing how you build your footers.
> Nella | Marullus
Gender: Female | Race: Variant Human | Class: Monk (5) | Monastic Tradition: Way of the Kensei | Background: Waterdhavian Noble (Baroness)
PHB+1: XGtE |
Only a minor point. By moving to the "Baronness" and visiting from a foreign land, she is using Noble from the PHB and not the Waterdavian Noble from the Sword Coast book. That way I don't violate the PHB+1 rule and differentiate from Hadrian.

In the default setting/rules, a Noble has a title and the benefit of Prestige. a Waterdhavian Noble has the benefit of Wealth. (In Waterdeep they have Masked Lords so all titles are forced to be anonymous to prevent bribery and corruption. Which rich families currently hold actual titles in city rulership is supposed to be secret.)

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#166 Post by Rex »

Unari looks good.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#167 Post by thirdkingdom »

dmw71 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:11 pm thirdkingdom, you still need to purchase equipment for Sigard. Also, did you pick a +1 source?
Ah, that's right. I was waiting to see if we got magic gear before purchasing equipment, and then never followed up. Will take care of today. Is it okay if I hold off selecting my +1? I haven't picked anything outside of the phb yet.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#168 Post by dmw71 »

thirdkingdom wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:58 am Is it okay if I hold off selecting my +1? I haven't picked anything outside of the phb yet.
Sure, I don't have a problem with that. Having a +1 isn't even required; if you are happy with just the options in the PHB, you're good.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#169 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Changed background to criminal/spy for Lika, leaning towards spy. I misunderstood where we landed on backgrounds. My mistake.

His HP should be 39.

He has 8 cantrips, but you may have covered the other 5 in the features section under bonus cantrips and pact boon. Also, since he only casts spells with 3rd level slots, having some listed as 1st level spells may be confusing. Up to you.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#170 Post by dmw71 »

Monsieur Rose wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:30 pmChanged background to criminal/spy for Lika, leaning towards spy. I misunderstood where we landed on backgrounds. My mistake.
If you're good with spy as your background, great. I can't recall if we discussed bounty hunter previously? It's not a huge deal, so you can switch back if you want.
Monsieur Rose wrote:His HP should be 39.
Fixed.
Monsieur Rose wrote:He has 8 cantrips, but you may have covered the other 5 in the features section under bonus cantrips and pact boon. Also, since he only casts spells with 3rd level slots, having some listed as 1st level spells may be confusing. Up to you.
Warlocks are a funky class. :lol:
I've made some updates to your sheet to add more details (that I meant to include originally), including separting your invocations into their own section above your spells. Speaking of your spells, I think, especially since they're all linked, it will be best to group them all together. Thanks for pointing out that oddity.
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#171 Post by dmw71 »

A few quick notes:
  1. There are two characters with a noble background; the details of that are detailed here: Nobility.
  2. I've also added details about a "bank" here: Portal Holdings.
  3. I'm tempted, depending upon how long it takes for requested character updates to be made, to start the game in two groups -- those characters that are ready and those that aren't. The two groups can easily meet up and merge if they do start at different times.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#172 Post by Rex »

Either way works for me.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#173 Post by sulldawga »

I'm not really interested in having my PC be a Baron. I just figured he'd be a non-inheriting son of some noble. Can we go with that?

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#174 Post by dmw71 »

sulldawga wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:31 am I'm not really interested in having my PC be a Baron. I just figured he'd be a non-inheriting son of some noble. Can we go with that?
Again, it's not an actual baron; I'm just borrowing the title. But, being a noble, you will have some formal power or authority or weight behind your family name.

With this being a dungeon-crawl, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#175 Post by Dram »

dmw71 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:38 pm
dmw71 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:50 pm Dram, please pick a different background for Jacxor.
Monsieur Rose, same for you. The 'Urban Bounty Hunter' background is from Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide and you're using Xanathar's Guide to Everything as your +1 for your race.

The same list is available for you to choose from:
dmw71 I have made the change to my backstory.
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#176 Post by Scott308 »

Gruuthuk's footer looks good.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#177 Post by Scott308 »

A couple things I noticed looking at other character's info-
  1. It looks like you tried to put an url tag on Xanlanan's background, but it is incomplete.
  2. Dram, I see your character speaks Minotaur. Is that from your Favored Enemy? If so, Minotaurs are Monstrosities. Beasts would be animals- bears, wolves, elephants, etc. and don't grant an extra language.
  3. I love that Elves are one of Unari's Favored Enemies, with an Elf and a Half-Elf in the party!
  4. I'm assuming the "(45')" on Jacxor is because of the Dread Ambusher Feature? If so, you need to make that addition to Unari.
  5. The Warlock has the second most HP!
  6. You have "Extra Attack" hot-linked in the footers for Hadrian, Nella, and Sigard but not the two Rangers, Jacxor and Unari.
  7. Sulldawga, does Hadrian want a shield?
  8. Did you want to include Passive Perception in the footer?
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#178 Post by ravenn4544 »

Archaeologist is cool (I didn't notice it was from an expansion pack only that it was available during character creation). Thanks!

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#179 Post by Rex »

I picked Elves since Drow wasn't an option. Her backstory explains. She will be suspicious of other types of Elves to start but not hostile.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#180 Post by dmw71 »

Scott308 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:13 am A couple things I noticed looking at other character's info-
  1. It looks like you tried to put an url tag on Xanlanan's background, but it is incomplete.
  2. Dram, I see your character speaks Minotaur. Is that from your Favored Enemy? If so, Minotaurs are Monstrosities. Beasts would be animals- bears, wolves, elephants, etc. and don't grant an extra language.
  3. I love that Elves are one of Unari's Favored Enemies, with an Elf and a Half-Elf in the party!
  4. I'm assuming the "(45')" on Jacxor is because of the Dread Ambusher Feature? If so, you need to make that addition to Unari.
  5. The Warlock has the second most HP!
  6. You have "Extra Attack" hot-linked in the footers for Hadrian, Nella, and Sigard but not the two Rangers, Jacxor and Unari.
  7. Sulldawga, does Hadrian want a shield?
  8. Did you want to include Passive Perception in the footer?
Thanks for this. These should all be addressed.

I think the only thing we're still waiting on is the equipment for Sigard. thirdkingdom, are you on that?
-- Project --
-- DM --

Return to “Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)”