Re: 5e OOC I

#201 Post by LordKane77 »

See! Rex gets it!

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#202 Post by dmw71 »

Per the Container Capacity rules, a waterskin can contain up to 4 pints of liquid; and each will weigh 5-pounds when full.

Considering 8 pints equals 1 gallon, it will require two empty waterskins to contain each gallon. Or 20 waterskins to hold all 10 gallons (100 pounds).

Other options include:
  • Barrel (40 gallons; 70 pounds)
    Bucket (3 gallons; 2 pounds)
    Jug (1 gallon; 4 pounds)
    Pitcher (1 gallon; 4 pounds)
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

LordKane77
Guide
Guide

#203 Post by LordKane77 »

So if everyone carries 4 water skins, we'll have some to spare. I think I already have two, so I'm just going to buy two more and call it a day? Can everyone just do that? We'll leave with them full and I'll just reserve one spell slot perpetually for the spell. If we run out of food and do want to go back yet, I'll just switch to the third level spell "create food and water".

I'm also going to buy a bucket, just in case, because that won't really take up extra room in my pack anyway.

In the 16 months you've been adventuring, how many in game days have gone by?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#204 Post by Marullus »

...two. One long rest.

We only had the default one waterskin each, so if we didn't find water now we would all be exhausted shortly.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#205 Post by dmw71 »

LordKane77 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:56 pm So if everyone carries 4 water skins, we'll have some to spare.
Not to be difficult, but I'm reading through the spell details again:

Create Water wrote:"You create up to 10 gallons of clean water within range in an open container."

The important detail in the above is the word "an," in the phrase "an open container."

So the spell won't work like a faucet, which can be turned on and off to allow for multiple waterskins to be filled.

Rex's idea of capturing the water in a tarp of some kind would work, but the water from it would then need to be transferred to each waterskin individually.

Or, purchase a barrel and, instead of transporting it with the party the entire time, fill it and leave it somewhere (e.g. base of the entry well, hidden in a room somewhere, etc...).

Or carry around a bucket that won't be able to capture the full 10 gallons, but will capture roughly a third of that amount in a pinch.

Or plan for multiple different solutions.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#206 Post by Marullus »

Okay, only Nella and Gruuthuk had two waterskins. Nella had bottles of fine wine equivalent to two more skins but ruling is that wine doesn't count for hydration, so I will share around the wine tonight and carry four skins of water total.

Xanlanan, Unari, and Lika each need a second waterskin. At 2sp each, that's 6sp to get everyone two skins/10lbs.

If we want everyone to have four skins/20lbs, that's an additional 10 skins for 2gp.

(New PCs, add your math. :) )

Does anyone have other supplies they need? We only ate one ration so we probably all still have nine days.

For the IC thread, we should share the tales in the private room of the tavern then move.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#207 Post by Rex »

Would Unari need less water due to her size? Only asking as 4 water skins is the same size as she is almost. Also I am having issues logging into D&D Beyond so when I have a few minutes I will try and get that fixed,

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#208 Post by dmw71 »

Rex wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:27 pm Would Unari need less water due to her size? Only asking as 4 water skins is the same size as she is almost.
All races will consume the same quantity of rations and water regardless of size, unless otherwise noted.

Consider, for example, the halfling meals:

Breakfast
Second Breakfast
Elevenses
Luncheon
Afternoon Tea
Dinner
Supper
-- Project --
-- DM --

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#209 Post by Rex »

I figured that was the rule, but had to try anyways.

LordKane77
Guide
Guide

#210 Post by LordKane77 »

Okay, what's a tarp cost?

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#211 Post by Scott308 »

Gruuthuk has Powerful Build as a bugbear, so he counts as large for carrying capacity and how much he can drag/ push/ lift. If we want to get a barrel and stash it somewhere, he can carry it to wherever we decide to hide it. The problem with that is that anyone else that finds it can use our water, but it is an option.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#212 Post by Rex »

They could also poison our water supply.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#213 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Shhh! Don't give the goblins ideas.

I like the barrel option. It's not foolproof, but it has merits. We get a barrel, or two!, and stash them. Each of us will carry 4 waterskins and can refill as needed. If we're concerned about tainted water, we dump it before filling it again.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#214 Post by dmw71 »

LordKane77 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:08 am Okay, what's a tarp cost?
You can find barrels (at cost) easily enough. For a tarp, I found this which will work:

It is something that can even be added to your character sheet:
Rain Catcher.jpg
Rain Catcher.jpg (92.87 KiB) Viewed 528 times
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#215 Post by dmw71 »

Apologies for my absence over the last week or so. Life has been crazy with work and the holidays.

I will do my best to check in on my games when the opportunity presents itself, but it's probably safe to expect more of the same the rest of the year (which is only two more weeks :o ).

Happy holidays in advance!
- Dave
-- Project --
-- DM --

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#216 Post by Marullus »

Happy Holidays, Dave!

Don't sweat it. It doesn't look like there's much posting from anyone right now. :)

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#217 Post by dmw71 »

The following is being shared in all my games:

A year or two ago I established a dedicated "rpg" email address, which is where I would receive all my notifications from this site (and other gaming-specific "stuff"). I would check this address daily, or multiple times throughout the day as notifications arrived.

Until yesterday, I went 13 days without checking in on this email account. Definitely a new record.

In very large part due to the fact that I got a new phone and did not link my "rpg" email address when I installed the Gmail app.

I have not been "feeling" D&D lately.

Like, no interest or motivation to jump back in... at all.

This has happened to me before (many times since I've joined this site, in fact) so this current spell is just the latest episode.

But, I have been trying to subtly restore this lost interest by engaging in other things:
  • Browsing (and, who am I kidding, buying) on DriveThruRPG.
  • Listening to fantasy podcasts.
  • Watching YouTube videos from D&D-related streamers.
  • Playing fantasy-themed games (I've had a lot of fun with 'Dragon Age: Origins' so far!).

Tangent Time
The first official campaign setting I ever played in was Greyhawk, from the boxed set. The use of the words "played in" is a bit misleading, however. We barely touched the books that came in the boxed set and primarily just spread out the four map sections across our dining room table, pick a random spot, and run an impromptu adventure.

There might have been a random table in one of the books to determine a place of birth that we'd use during character generation. And we would occasionally use the Greyhawk calendar (which meant, a casual reference to the fantasy day (e.g. starday) or month (e.g. Readying) name instead of the actual day (e.g. Saturday) or month (e.g. late January or Early February).

It wasn't until yesterday -- when I read this post from max_vale and the reply from hedgeknight -- that I even began to understand what the 'Greyhawk Wars' even were (and, in all honestly, I still don't fully appreciate the significance of this history).

Aside from using their maps, and maybe noting the location where a published adventure module (which we rarely used) took place, the lore of any campaign setting was largely inconsequential in my gaming background.

That's, sadly, how I still run my games to this day.

• I'm running a game in Undermountain, yet know embarrassingly little about the Yawning Portal (and even less about Waterdeep itself).
  • I'm about to launch a new game in Greyhawk, but know next to nothing when it comes to actual details or formal lore about it.
I've been feeling guilt, shame, imposter syndrome, all of the above over these facts lately (which has also contributed to my slower than normal return back to gaming).

I haven't been able to shake the feeling that I would be far better off as just a player instead of a DM, where my ignorance will be less impactful.

Anyway...

My motivation to dive back into gaming hasn't fully returned yet, but it's getting there.

I'm finding the motivation to return to my various games being restored at different paces, with my interest in 1e seemingly coming on the strongest, followed by BX, then 5e lagging significantly behind.

My plan is to jump-start progress in all of my games again this week, but bear with me as I continue to work through these motivational struggles.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#218 Post by Rex »

No worries Dave.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#219 Post by dmw71 »

Getting ready to ramp things back up in this game... which will require a new thread.

As I work on it, can I get a check-in from everyone indicating their readiness, or intention to continue?
-- Project --
-- DM --

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#220 Post by ravenn4544 »

standing by

Return to “Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)”