[Closed] 4: Terror in the Mountains

Starbeard
ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: 4: Terror in the Mountains

#41 Post by ffilz »

Senichi will give an appropriate greeting to Kunpu welcoming him to our ranks.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by Rex »

Kenta

"Thank you for the kind words Aiko." Turning to Kunpu, "As someone who is also an outsider I judge others by their deeds not their birth. So it shall be with you as well Kunpu, but I trust Aiko with my life and if she trusts you so shall I."

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#43 Post by Leitz »

His clothes a little worse for wear, and his manner a little less than formal, Kunpu greeted each friend with respect. The was no subterfuge, and it was obvious that he saw himself as the least of the group.

"She speaks of the self I wish to live up to," Kunpu said. He smiled. "I have heard the stories of your bravery and skill. Perhaps whatever brings such darkness upon us will provide opportunity for me to prove truth in Aiko-sama's kind words."

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#44 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Osaru bows in kind "Greetings to you Kunpu"
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by Starbeard »

There is still some opportunity for gameplay here, but I don't want to completely stall the game until all actions surrounding this evening are tied off to completion.

If you have activities or roleplaying to carry out during the night, keep those posts here, otherwise go to the new thread to continue on with the next day's adventures: download/file.php?id=21610

Captain Kinkajou
Ranger
Ranger

#46 Post by Captain Kinkajou »

Aiko and Kunpu

Later in the evening, after the magistrate arrived and Aiko left with Lord and Lady Nasu, Aiko spoke with Lady O-Chizu...

As Aiko finished her exchange, she noticed Kunpu lurking some distance away. He caught her eye and it was clear that he wanted to say something.

"Please keep us informed!" Lady O-Chizu finished.

Aiko bowed low and responded dutifully, "I will, my Lady."

Lady O-Chizu smiled gratefully and returned to doting on her husband. Meanwhile, Aiko slipped silently away from the others and went over to speak with Kunpu.

"What is it?" she asked him softly, so as not to be overheard. A slight frown of concern played across her face.

"Aiko-sama, a troubling sight that I am not at liberty to bring to Lady Nasu," Kunpu said quietly. "Perhaps you can assist her? She has lost one of her entourage. Just wandered off."

Kunpu described the female courtier, and comments that he has seen her in the outer chambers of Lady Nasu's courtiers. His report is given with detail and quiet import. "She has wandered off, in a perfect direction to share the joys of the evening with friends in Scorpion lands. That she herself moved quietly, as some Scorpions are said to do, suggests she has done this before. The news of tonight would be valuable, should someone wish to harm the Lord and Lady of Biden Pass."

Aiko considered for a moment. She was conscious that such information could be a deflection, casting suspicion to divert attention from another, but she had seen what lay beneath Kunpu's outward façade, the loss and pain he suffered silently underneath, and she was certain that she could trust him. By bringing this to her, he was both assisting her, reinforcing her value to Lord and Lady Nasu, and helping the Nasu's as well.

Aiko bowed. "Thank you Kunpu-san. This is useful. I am most grateful you have brought it to my attention. Please, give me a moment. I will inform Lady O-Chizu."

Aiko left Kunpu and went back to speak with Lady O-Chizu. As Kunpu had done, Aiko stood a short distance away and waited, making it clear that she wished to speak to Lady O-Chizu in private.

Once they were able to speak discretely, Aiko informed her, "Lady O-Chizu, I beg your forgiveness for interrupting you again. I will not keep you for long. It has just been brought to my attention that one of your courtiers has slipped away and is even now making her way towards Scorpion lands. Aiko glanced in Kunpu's direction, making his contribution obvious. "My Lady is shrewd and I am certain you are not surprised that the Scorpion are watching. I imagine even that you already knew or suspected who was disloyal and were only biding your time, controlling what they learned until the most auspicious moment to reveal your advantage. But, my duty is clear. I promised to keep you informed and so I wanted to pass on what I had learned before we depart for Midway Quiet Village in the morning."

Aiko bows respectfully.

@Leitz - Apologies for the delay getting to this.

@Starbeard - A couple of thoughts below:

1. I'm really leaving this with you to respond here, in case Lady O-Chizu has anything to say. Not that I'm particularly expecting anything meaningful other than cursory thanks/acknowledgement but there's an obvious opportunity if there is something.

2. I wasn't sure if it might appear that Aiko is flattering Lady O-Chizu in the above but I'm actually intending it to be that Aiko has noted and respects Lady O-Chizu's shrewdness (it's why Lady O-Chizu is her immediate confidant rather than Lord Nasu) and so she doesn't want to presume that Lady O-Chizu doesn't already know these things. In fact, Aiko suspects she may well do. I guess ultimately it would be more respect if Lady O-Chizu is as shrewd as Aiko imagines her to be, or more flattering if Lady O-Chizu is less shrewd than Aiko imagines her to be. Though, either way, Aiko is speaking sincerely. I just thought it might be worth clarifying that, depending on your interpretation / how well I've conveyed what I intended.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by Starbeard »

Lady Nasu O-Chizu comes to Aiko on the chilly veranda, and her eyes narrow as the younger woman quietly relates the news. She follows Aiko's glance toward Kunpu lurking from the shadows, and studies him for some time without expression. Then she quickly disappears into the building, through the chambers and back again, casually counting heads.

"It is Itono. She is one the lower maidens, brought into my household three years ago from a village family: I believe she was known as Sakao Hoso before joining our family. She is not part of my inner private court, so the household steward would know her better than I do. All of our retainers and courtiers either come from our own demesne, or from the minor clans in the south."

O-Chizu's frustration and betrayed anger show through. "I am afraid there is not much we can do. The demon Sakemono is out tonight, making it dangerous to send scouts into the Pass," — she glances beyond the hilltop into the dark valley beyond, and as if it were an omen, at that moment the wind-howl of Sakemono can be hear echoing distantly through the far parts of the valley — "…and if Itono is indeed trained by the Scorpion, then she will have the advantage evading even our best hunters."

Suddenly reverting back to her blank courtier's face, the castle's Lady directs her attention to Kunpu and commands him to approach. "You are the ronin our samurai call Hibitaka, the 'Country Paladin', yes? You have the smell of a Scorpion, and it wouldn't be the first time a Scorpion spy has come to us in wolf's clothing. How did you get in, and what do you get out of betraying your own kind?" Her hand is slipped inside the deep sleeve of her gown, obviously clutching the hilt of a hidden knife, but her stance is upright and resolute like a judge declaring a sentence, rather than someone making an aggressive threat.

OOC: This assumes that Kunpu is making himself visible, according to Aiko's action about glancing toward him to illustrate his help in the matter. Let me know if you would like to have the action changed, Leitz.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by Leitz »

Kunpu smiled, and then bowed in a properly respectful manner to Lady Nasu. As always, his hands were politely away from his weapons.

"Certainly the honorable magistrate seeks," Kunpu paused, "whatever he seeks, in a most respectful manner. I am unschooled in such courtly ways and aspire to be as eloquent and charming. Thus I simply followed his Lion-ness in so that I might be edified by wise and soothing words."

He sniffed the air, shrugged slightly, and then bowed very respectfully. "My apologies if the odor of those I grew up with offends. For weeks I have toiled for the elderly of Beiden Pass, been gifted with larger portions of Beiden Pass food than I deserve, and bathed in the downstream waters of Beiden Pass. It seems I still carry the odor of where I was, not who I am. My deepest apologies."

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by Starbeard »

O-Chizu scoffs at the remark. "I'm afraid it would take longer than that to remove, and then the scent would only become untraceable. Itono bathed in Beiden Pass for three years."

She perks up after coming upon something. "An idea crosses my mind. Do you think you could catch up to her? Whatever internal feuds you have with your Clan can stay with you, but I do not mind using it to our own advantage. If she is truly heading to the Scorpion lands, she must know that we will soon miss her, and I daresay we will never see her again — or you, for that matter. If she attempts to return before being missed, then I would like to know what she is up to. Does a simple monetary motivate you?"

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by Leitz »

"I saw the way she went, but she was much more skilled than I. I will certainly see if I can follow her, your asking is sufficient." Kunpu smiled, and bowed. "Assuming your guards are willing to let me away, and return, of course. Haste would be useful, if I may be so bold as to excuse myself?"

OOC: How would you like to handle this? Bit by bit, or maybe just a contested roll?

Captain Kinkajou
Ranger
Ranger

#51 Post by Captain Kinkajou »

Aiko

"Let me accompany you Kunpu-san. I am not as useful as I once was but can still wield a blade passingly well and this could be a dangerous undertaking. Two would surely be better than one."

ooc: I'm not sure how this gels with the other thread (whether we can be back by morning) but I figured that Aiko would offer to accompany Kunpu. Though, I am conscious that there is an argument that it might be easier / attract less scrutiny for Kunpu (as a Scorpion/ex-Scorpion) to go alone.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#52 Post by Starbeard »

Let's go together, with the aim of being back by morning, and if something so incredibly unexpected happens that major revisions need to be made in the current thread, then I'll just use my executive power to play the Continuity card and figure out a Deus ex machina.

We can play it somewhere between abstract and bit by bit, with basic contested rolls based on a couple of set encounters or choices. From I have behind the screen, I think that would work.

"Yes, of course. I will tell the guards that I am expecting you," says Lady O-Chizu. She bows slightly and disappears back into the guest lodge, and soon a stoic samurai emerges and laconically explains that he is on his way to inform the guard posts that you may come and go freely, then makes his way to the downhill path.

The night sky is covered by scattered fast moving clouds, and through the gaps shines brilliant starlight reflecting off the snow of the valley floor. Echoing in the deep distance is the occasional wail of Sakemono — probably in the direction of Scorpion lands, but the mountain walls make it difficult to tell the exact direction or distance.

At first glance, your options are to retrace the alleged spy's steps down the steep, brush-covered north side of the hill, or to head down to the main gate at the west end of the hill. From there, the choice is to make quick time by using the Road to reach the Village of Hot Stones, or to labor in the fields north of the Road to hoping to find her tracks in the snow.

Captain Kinkajou
Ranger
Ranger

#53 Post by Captain Kinkajou »

Kunpu and Aiko

Posted on behalf of me and Leitz.

Kunpu looked at Aiko for a very long moment; as if trying to read the scroll of her soul. He sighed, and smiled. "You would be welcome, since we do not know if Itono has friends besides those who remain in the castle. Shall we?"

He lead Aiko to where he saw Itono last. "The choices seem to be follow down a steep hill or to go the road and try to find her tracks. Let's do the former. It is faster, and we do not know if she has supplies or allies waiting for her. This is the least likely path, and it should give us a small bit of surprise."

Aiko nodded, content to follow Kunpu's lead.

Kunpu glanced around; no one was near them. He quickly undid his sash and adjusted his weapons to be behind his back and less likely to entangle in the brush. His voice was sad when he whispered. "Please forgive me, I have done this before. Perhaps the Lady of Beiden is right and I will always be what I was. Perhaps I am not as good as I like and we will not be able to help."

"I have faith in you," Aiko assured him. "And, there is nothing to forgive. The Kunpu I know is my friend. What you were before is of no consequence, save that I am a little relieved you have done this before. At least one of us knows what they are doing."

She smiled and gestured for Kunpu to lead on.

Kunpu followed the trail. Moonlight, even through the clouds, revealed marks in the snow. Kunpu let his mind open up. The trail down, such as it was, would drive a person to move this way or that. The woman had a head start and knew the way. Yet she would assume that she was unnoticed, and would lessen her guard at some point in time. Perhaps too, a courtier's clothing was less useful in walking down a steep hill.

A little ways down, he stopped, and motioned to Aiko for silence. Kunpu let himself listen.

OOC: For the DM, if useful
Awareness [_3d10] = (7+5+4)=16

OOC: If he hears nothing, Kunpu will continue to follow the logical portion of the trail. He is keeping himself in front, and using his hands to gesture to Aiko where it might be more treacherous.

Aiko observed Kunpu closely. His movements were precise and assured. She could see he was a skilled scout or hunter, so she was careful to watch for and follow his guidance. When he stopped to listen, she stopped to listen also.

Awareness: [_3d10] = (1+8+8)=17 

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by Starbeard »

Based on the rulebook's descriptions for the different traits, I'm ruling that this will use Perception instead of Awareness, which are Rank 3 for Kunpu, and Rank 2 for Aiko. I'll keep the same rolls and ignore any excess dice, so Kunpu rolled 16 and Aiko rolled 9.

Kunpu spends a moment tracing the trail down the hill with his eyes, guessing the most likely routes in the spots where it disappears behind slopes and ground cover. He then adjusts his gear and steps past the bushes onto the steep hillside. Confident now that he can trace the path all the way down, he signals for Aiko.

The trail proves fairly easy to follow. Kunpu was right: Itono must have relied on escaping unnoticed and using the trail's hidden position, and never bothered to cover her own tracks. Pausing to listen reveals no unusual noises, and he motions for Aiko to venture down with him.

Aiko’s descent is skilled enough for someone having spent too many years away from her mountainous Dragon homeland, but she isn’t used to climbing in stealth, or with a crippled arm. If someone is watching this side of the mountain closely, they most certainly would have spotted her.

But there are no indications of you being followed or observed, and soon you are into the grove that grows low on the hill, and out into the valley with the Road directly before you. From there, it is only minutes before Kunpu locates Itono’s tracks in the snow, cutting across the fields straight for the Village with Hot Stones.

(editorial side note here: the actual Rokugani name could be translated equally as The Village “of” or “with” Hot Stones, or just "Hot Stones Village").

Your trek across the fields goes without incident, but the cold is biting, and your feet grow numb without your winter travel shoes. Eventually you come to the outskirts of the village, where Itono’s tracks suddenly become a tangled mess with several others — at least four or five more people came from the village to see her. The tracks leading back into the village seem to split, some heading onto the main street and some circling around the north side of the village. You see no lights in the buildings directly ahead (you are at the east edge of the map, a little north of the path), but of course all the windows would be shuttered, blocking any internal lights anyway.

Actions?

The Village with Hot Stones (link to full size image)

Rolls:
Kunpu tracking (3k3): [_3d10] = (1+9+8)=18, success
Kunpu listening (3k3): 16
Kunpu athletics (4k3): [_4d10] = (8+5+5+10)=28 = 23 + another 1d10, success
Kunpu stealth (5k3): [_5d10] = (6+4+3+9+3)=25 = 19

Aiko listening (2k2): 9
Aiko athletics (4k3, +5 to TN for wounded arm): [_4d10k3] = (10+10+5)=25, + another 2d10, success
stealth (3k3): [_3d10] = (4+1+1)=6

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#55 Post by Leitz »

"Aiko-sama, the weather is cold and we are exposed." Kunpu's voice was gentle.

"Four, maybe five, people came to meet Itono. She did not have to go to anyone, so they must have a signal. Such things are easy, but it shows that there was planning, and more than just a single spy in the lord's castle." He pointed to the two sets of tracks. "Some of them went back into the village, some circled around to the north. Possibly the latter were heading for the Dragon Spring caves, I know of little in that direction save the mountains themselves. For a quick trip to Scorpion lands, that would not be the way to go."

He shrugged. "Though it would be an excellent place for Itono to hide. They may have a messenger already there, who would not be recognized. Or she may be in a building, the tracks go onto the main street. Here are the options, as I see them."

"First, we can scout along the street. While we could not track them directly, we could possibly see if there was fresh snow melt on a porch, or crisp tracks that left the main street. That would take time, and put us at risk of cold exposure."

"We could track the northern trail for a measure, to verify if they did indeed head up to the caves. Again, risk of exposure. Either of those choices suggests we find a room in the village; going back would be risky." He hesitated. "Of course, a man and a woman seeking rooms for the night would be natural, but would impinge on your good name."

"If we head back right now, we can likely make it to one of the houses I know in Midway Quiet Village. We could re-heat there, with the truthful story that the Magistrate's behavior was frustrating, and we felt the need for a long walk. We could then return to the Lady and give a report."

"What do you prefer?"

Captain Kinkajou
Ranger
Ranger

#56 Post by Captain Kinkajou »

Aiko

Aiko considered Kunpu's words carefully.

"I would rather not give up so easily," she whispered to him after a moment, her breath misting in the cold, "but it seems we have found a nest of vipers here and two against six or more is poor odds, particularly when we are on their ground. I would not baulk at us finding a room for fear of my reputation, but it does not feel safe. We could too easily be recognised and ensnared. So, let us go back and make our report to Lady O-Chizu. Though, if not for the cold, I would be sorely tempted to say that we should follow the northern trail a short way before we go."

Aiko looked to Kunpu. Part of her hoped he would say that perhaps they could go on a little longer but she knew that would be unwise. Her feet and fingers were turning numb with the cold. No, he was right, they should not tarry there any longer.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#57 Post by Starbeard »

The frosty air stings your skin. You figure that another hour or two is all you can take before the limits of your stamina are tested (progressive stamina checks starting at TN5 every hour to avoid exposure). Heading back to the castle by the Road will get you back in time if you leave now.

As you discuss your plan of action, you scan the inky black silhouette of the mountainside, and see no flickers of light. If they are moving up the mountain, it is in pitch darkness, under the turbid cover of the thick evergreen trees. You know that Hot Stones Village has several bathhouse inns that regularly open their doors to customers and travelers even at this late hour, but if you are truly being watched for then there is a good chance your entrance will not go unnoticed.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by Leitz »

Kunpu looked at Aiko, and then at the trail heading to the caves. He half-smiled, and then looked away.

"Take a moment to lift each foot. Curl and extend your toes several times. I've been in the cold before, and it can kill quickly if you do not know how to slow it's draining. Do the same with your fingers as we walk, and keep your head covered as much as you can." Kunpu did the same, and added. "Let's follow the trail to the caves for just a little bit. They may be heading to one of the bath houses, and that will give us something. We need to walk in their tracks, though, so it is harder to track us. It will also reduce our effort. If the tracks head to the caves, we will turn back and take the road back to the keep. If we are too weakened by the time we reach Midway Quiet village, I will find us a place to rest there."

Itonjutsu (survival) [_4d10k3] = (8+6+3)=17

Captain Kinkajou
Ranger
Ranger

#59 Post by Captain Kinkajou »

Aiko

Aiko trusted Kunpu to lead them and paid close attention to his advice on fending off the freezing cold. As she walked along behind him, she flexed her toes, and the fingers on her right hand. Then slowly and painfully rubbed the fingers on her left hand, trying to coax them into life. Their movements were stiff and awkward but she achieved something at least. Bound across her chest as it was, her crippled arm was less exposed to the elements, so hopefully it would be enough.

Through the cold and snow, Aiko strained her senses for any hint of danger. Kunpu was ahead and presumably focusing on the trail to the front, so Aiko tried to watch the sides and behind them for any movement.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#60 Post by Starbeard »

Excellent use of Kunpu's survival skill. As long as Kunpu keeps making those at TN 15, it will delay the start of the exposure tests by another hour.

You follow the tracks that stray north of the village. After some time you deduce that two people went this way: they hugged the upper mountainside, using the slopes and trees to avoid detection as they skirted the village, crossed the icy, burbling stream via a log, then slipped down back down the mountain just west of the stream, disappearing into the mine cave in front of the village's western bridge.

Kunpu has already visited this village before, and knows that this is one of the village's newer and active mines (he's seen villagers working in it), and that it has a second exit on the other side of this mountain spur, not very far from the Road. Some of the older mines are abandoned and believed by the villagers to hold the foul lair of Gekido itself, based on the whistling winds that howl through them (none can be heard tonight).

From this vantage point, you can see straight down the village street and notice that at least two bath houses and one of the small peasant houses in the southwest quarter each have lights on inside and a fire going inside, based on the thin lines of light sneaking through the wooden shutters and the black lines of chimney smoke blotting out the stars. above each building.

登場人物
  • Kunpu, (Scorpion) ronin: no armor (TN10), Init +2, katana 4k3 (DR 5k2) | Hnr 1;5, Wnds (4) 0;0 | Void Pts 2/2
  • Mirumoto Aiko, Dragon bushi: no armor (TN20/5), Init +3, daisho 7k4/6k3 (DR 4k2) | Hnr 3;7, Wnds (4) 0;0 | Void Pts 2/2 (crippled left arm)

Return to “Roleplaying in the Emerald Empire (L5R)”