[Completed] - Rhodri/Second Finger - 18 April, 1 VC

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: Expedition - Rhodri/Second Finger - 18 April, 1 VC

#81 Post by Mister-Kent »

At first light, Numen and Mammon eat. Then the elf seeks private counsel with Rhodri.

Ration deducted.
DMing DUNGEONESQUE, LL AEC Gothic-weird fantasy
DMing CAT'S CRADLE, Stars Without Number/Other Dust
Playing
Constance Wyrdweather and Ruwyn Hollowheart in Labyrinth Lord: West Marches Sandbox (LL AEC)
Formerly Numen, Thisby Queller (RIP) and Radiant Olympia (RIP)!
Frekken Ribbitowicz in Mutant Future: Tales from Gam'A Zone (Gamma World)
Anne Summerisle and Gustav the Grasping in Caves of Chaos (LL)
Elden Vodarte in The Horror at Briarsgate (AD&D 1E)
I make the comics and arts! // Tumblr // DeviantArt // EnterVOID
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#82 Post by Keehnelf »

April 21, 1 VC - 8:10am

Adrienne describes the trees to the party as Numen draws Rhodri around to the far side of the rocky mound for a private conversation.

"They're usually quite thick," she begins. "The bark a dark earth color and even with a texture that makes them seem like they're made of dirt. The bark is very thick and deeply channeled vertically, and it's not uncommon for them to be coated with mosses and other various forms of fungus, which is one reason they are often used as residences for brownies or other similar earth-and-wood spirits."

She looks around the area. "As dense and old as this wood is, it's only a matter of time before we find one."
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#83 Post by Zhym »

"How dangerous are the creatures that live in these trees?" asks Lug.
GTan_Baq
Ranger
Ranger

#84 Post by GTan_Baq »

1 days rations deducted
The optimist, "The glass is half full."
The pessimist, "The glass is half empty."
The gamer, "I drink the water; what happens?"

Greed shall be thy undoing!
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#85 Post by Keehnelf »

"If we're looking to cut down their tree, they can be quite dangerous as they will probably attack in large numbers. However, if we only require a branch, we can probably arrange a trade. It will be easier if we have someone who can speak one of the sylvan tongues..." She looks around expectantly. "In any case, it may be uninhabited."
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#86 Post by Zhym »

"I don't think I need the whole tree just for one bow. A good branch ought to do it. I hope. What do you think brownies would want in trade?"
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#87 Post by Keehnelf »

"My understanding is that they're kin of the fairies, which means that things have value to them that we would never suspect, and they seem quite driven by impulse. I couldn't begin to predict."
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#88 Post by Zhym »

Lug rubs the pouch of tree-witch hair hanging from his neck. "Huh. I wonder."
Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#89 Post by Zorroroaster »

Orrin snorts. "Lug's got experience dealing with tree spirits, don't ya big guy?"

1 days rations deducted.
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#90 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Jem rises and goes about his normal routines as the others also awaken. He goes off alone to do his morning prayers. He gets as close as he can to the conniving elves unless confronted first. He strains his hearing to catch any part of the conversation that he can. He has shown a clear mistrust of Numen so far and doesn't like the whispering one bit.
Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#91 Post by Spartakos »

If Rhodri sees Jem lurking around, he will stare at him until the cleric goes away. Anyone looking will be able to tell (from gestures, head shakes, and expressions) that Rhodri appears to be disagreeing with Numen about something.
Sorry for the private chat, guys, back with you in a sec. Important crazy elf business. :)
1 day rations deducted, btw.
MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#92 Post by MonkeyWrench »

1 ration deducted

Remus awakens and eats a bland breakfast, upon hearing Adrienne's search of rabbit tracks, dons his crossbow with bolt. "Well young lass, I can't tell you how good it will be to eat some hunt rather than these dry rations... Nothing quite like a nice bit of meat from a creature you've hunted with your own skills, wouldn't you say?"

He takes a moment to look around, noticing the elves talking in hushed whispers and the cleric giving them the stinkeye as he non-chalantly stalks about them. he gives the whole situation a shrug, not caring about elves or clerics. He looks about while he gets his gear all packed up, "Well, I'm ready to go when you all are. Hopefully we can find something that puts up a fight today."
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.
Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#93 Post by Mister-Kent »

Numen leaves the conversation with Rhodri, looking thoughtful and determined. "I am prepared to leave."

As he grabs the rest of his belongings and calls Mammon forth, Numen calls Kennit over to speak with him privately as they prepare to go.
Playing
Constance Wyrdweather and Ruwyn Hollowheart in Labyrinth Lord: West Marches Sandbox (LL AEC)
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#94 Post by Zhym »

When Numen calls Kennit over, Lug goes too.

"Hi guys! What are we talking about?"
Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#95 Post by Zorroroaster »

When Orrin sees Lug heading over to Kennit and Numen, he stands up and walks over as well.

"Please, share it with all of us, Numen. First a quiet word with Rhodri, now Kennit. You've got both Jem and Lug curious, so I'll bite. What's so important it can't be discussed amongst all of us? I want to be able to trust the folks I travel with so please, out with it."
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#96 Post by Mister-Kent »

Numen looks at Lug seriously, then to the group. "I had a dream last night," he explains, swinging his pack over his shoulder. "A great wave of blood and fire. Many dead, or dying. This will come to pass," he notes with absolute certainty. "Unless I...I think I can stop it."

He straightens his posture, holding the sword Hope tightly. "No--I know I can. But I may have to leave the group temporarily..."
Playing
Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#97 Post by Zorroroaster »

Orrin notes Numen's tight grip on the sword.

"Do you need reminding how you came by that fell weapon? We threw ourselves in front of Nine Tongues and his soldiers while you and Rhodri lay injured. Lug, Kennit, Naila and I. If you have troubles, you need to remember who your true friends are. We can help you, should you need it."

"And I have to say, I don't trust that sword. I saw the effect it had on Kennit, and I fear it will work some hidden design on you as well."
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#98 Post by Zhym »

Lug's brow furrows with thought at Orrin's words. "Heyyyyy, I just noticed something. Kennit and Numen are the only ones who have touched that sword since we killed Nine Tongues, and now they're talking to each other in secret! Do you think those things might be connected?"
OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#99 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Jem shakes his head and finally speaks.

Thank Pelor someone finally speaks up about this obvious atrocity! I couldn't agree with Orrin more! It is clear to all of us that the sword is already working its evil into your mind. You dream of death and fire? That is because the evil is trying to corrupt your thoughts. That is no trinket you wield there and I don't think any of us want to see how far this will go.

You expect us to trust that you are speaking the truth after you were just sneaking around whispering to some of the others?

Jem looks to the rest of the party.

I warned you all about the evil in that blade, are you all willing to let it corrupt your friend completely before something is done?
Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#100 Post by Mister-Kent »

Numen shakes his head. "Care to touch it and see?" he asks, offering for Lug or Jem to touch the blade. "It doesn't grant terror. It grants purpose and clarity. And hope."

He turns to Orrin. "Of course I appreciate all of you. Which is why I will secure help. I will go an perform a task for...a friend of mine, and when I return he will help us take the Finger."
Playing

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”