IC I

thirdkingdom
stilladventuring
Strider
Strider

Re: IC I

#81 Post by stilladventuring »

Cearc

Cearc breaths deep. “Anyone speak Lizard ? Do we think that may have been the language spoken?”

They level the crossbow in the direction of the other door.
Last edited by stilladventuring on Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#82 Post by thirdkingdom »

sulldawga wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:45 am Can Themon learn anything more from the corpses from that distance?
The echoes of the voice ringing in his ears, Themon peers at the corpses in front of the statue. One is about human-sized, the other, which he thought was a single person, proves to be two smaller individuals, sprawled together in a heap. Something strikes him as unusual about the three figures, but as he strains his eyes to make out more detail in the dim light he hears a scraping sound as the head of the statue swivels to stare directly at him!

The other adventurers, those who have remained by the door, see the statue's head turn to regard their companion.
thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#83 Post by thirdkingdom »

stilladventuring wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:55 am Cearc

Cearc breaths deep. “Do we think the chains were to keep something out of the room in the room behind that door? I guess either way we should be ready now that the chains are rusted for anything. Anyone speak Lizard ? Do we think that may have been the language spoken?”

They level the crossbow in the direction of the other door.
To be clear, the chains were on the door you just opened, but on the other side (the statue room side). So, you couldn't see them, but pushing the door open into the statue room broke them. They were, you could intuit, designed to keep something on *your side of the chamber* from entering the statue room.
sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#84 Post by sulldawga »

Themon hurriedly moves back behind the statue, watching intently to see if the statue's head will follow him.
BaltoBruiser
Ranger
Ranger

#85 Post by BaltoBruiser »

Brooku

Owl man is not very smart... Mutton broke the chains. They must have been really old and rusty. Those dead things look fresher than that last dead thing. I thought the earthquake was only a few days ago, did another group get here first?
thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#86 Post by thirdkingdom »

sulldawga wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:52 am Themon hurriedly moves back behind the statue, watching intently to see if the statue's head will follow him.
As Themon moves behind the statue, towards the door they came through, the statue's head does indeed follow him, as does the statue itself, as its stony body lurches forwards! The booming voice speaks again, seemingly coming from the statue, but its lips do not move. As it turns, the adventurers get a close look at it. The statue depicts a human male, clad in a sort of archaic plate armor. It carries a sword and shield, and as it advances the sword raises threateningly!

Couple of things:
1. This is a good opportunity to introduce Schrodinger's skills, if anyone would like to spend a slot to understand the language being spoken.
2. Let's roll for initiative. I need one of y'all do roll 1d6 (any dice roller, including the US one, is fine, as long as you link to results). We'll be doing side-based initiative, but it is modified by individual Dex modifiers. Let's say I roll a 3 and the party rolls a 3, but character A has +1 Dex and character B has -1 Dex. Combat order will be: Character A --> party plus statue acting simultaneously --> Character B.
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#87 Post by shaidar »

Initiative: [1d6]=1

:? I forgot how much the dice roller hates me
kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#89 Post by kalstone »

Tiarsus

If Tiarsus can throw a dagger without risking hitting another member of the party, he throws one at the statue.

Edit: Whoops! Misunderstood the initiative process.
Last edited by kalstone on Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stilladventuring
Strider
Strider

#90 Post by stilladventuring »

Cearc

Shaidar rolled initiative and I believe it is one roll per side so Cearc has initiative of the 1 rolled +1 for dex resulting in a 2.

”I can provide cover if we want to fall back?
Cearc lets the crossbow bolt fly.
Ranged fighting style. The character gains a +1 bonus to hit when making ranged attacks and may fire into melee with no penalty. So Cearc will gain +2 to hit plus anything for the range.
thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#91 Post by thirdkingdom »

stilladventuring wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:19 pm Cearc

Shaidar rolled initiative and I believe it is one roll per side so Cearc has initiative of the 1 rolled +1 for dex resulting in a 2.

”I can provide cover if we want to fall back?
Cearc lets the crossbow bolt fly.
Ranged fighting style. The character gains a +1 bonus to hit when making ranged attacks and may fire into melee with no penalty. So Cearc will gain +2 to hit plus anything for the range.
That is correct! Shaidar did go ahead and roll for intiative.
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#92 Post by shaidar »

Atticus

Not convinced he can damage the statue with his weapons, he lets fly with a sling bullet to try and find out:

Sling: [1d20+1]=17+1=18; dmg [1d4]=2

Initiative: 1+1=2
sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#93 Post by sulldawga »

Themon retreats as far away from the statue as he can and still stay within the room. Then he drops his sword at his feet and holds one hand over his right eye. His left eye turns black and a dark ray shoots out from it, toward the statue!

Eldritch Blast on the statue. Question for the GM: are Invocations the equivalent of Instant actions or Main actions?
thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#94 Post by thirdkingdom »

sulldawga wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:45 pm Themon retreats as far away from the statue as he can and still stay within the room. Then he drops his sword at his feet and holds one hand over his right eye. His left eye turns black and a dark ray shoots out from it, toward the statue!

Eldritch Blast on the statue. Question for the GM: are Invocations the equivalent of Instant actions or Main actions?
Invocations are basically attack actions, but unless otherwise stated, even invocations that mimic spells can be used in conjunction with movement, whereas a normal spellcaster cannot move *and* cast a spell, but warlocks can move and use (most) invocations.
stilladventuring
Strider
Strider

#95 Post by stilladventuring »

Cearc

attempt at posting crossbow shot and damage. Hopefully the macro works.
thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#96 Post by thirdkingdom »

Round One

Before anyone can act, the statue is upon Themon, and delivers a mighty blow with its heavy stone sword that the warlock is able to just duck under, feeling the breeze from it as it passes over his head. In the heat of battle, Themon notices a number of nicks, chips, and scratches on the animated statue's surface, and it moves somewhat jerkily. Themon scuttles backwards, covering an eye and letting loose a blast of eldritch energy that catches the statue full force. At the same time, the other adventurers, seeing that Themon is out of the way, finish the animated statue off with a combined assault. Bits of stone fall off as the stone rapidly cracks.

We're going to hew pretty close to OSE for combat movement purposes, but sully did declare in advance that Themon was going to move, so I'm going to call that a fighting withdrawl at half speed.
Themon's eldritch blast: : 1d20+2 15 1d6 3 Just hits!
Cearc: : 1d20+2 22 1d6 5 Critical hit, which does max damage!
And Atticus hits, as well, for a total of 2 damage.
Statue is destroyed.
thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#97 Post by thirdkingdom »

stilladventuring wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:09 pm Cearc

attempt at posting crossbow shot and damage. Hopefully the macro works.
Hah! Cross-posted with your post. Am assuming you'd prefer to stick with the nat 20 I rolled for you.
stilladventuring
Strider
Strider

#98 Post by stilladventuring »

Cearc

As the crossbolt flies it finds its target fast and true. let’s go with the nat 20. lol
Cearc cannot contain their surprise and gives a little ”YES”
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#99 Post by shaidar »

Atticus looks surprised

"Well, that turned out easier than I was expecting, perhaps even the stone in here succumbs to the ages."
sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#100 Post by sulldawga »

Themon retrieves his sword and walks over to the rubble of the statue. He is interested to see if anything of it, like the sword or shield, remains intact. After that, he will warily poke around the corpses, cautious of disease.

Return to “The Redoubt of the Crocodile Kings (BX/OSE)”