Barrow Mounds: Blossom of Death.

Nordbo
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Barrow Mounds: Blossom of Death.

#81 Post by Nordbo »

Cosmo

keeps to the back, still. Regardless of whether he meta-knows that wraiths are dangerous or not, Cosmo gets bad vibes from this apparition and dares not approach it. For additional safety, he attempts his skill Hide in shadows.
Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#82 Post by Darithe »

Sigrid

Continues to concentrate never deviating from her stance. Her eyes focused on the sight before her.
Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#83 Post by Stirling »

Vann Hector

Just reading through the game to pick up clues or anything to help us.
Cosmo though has a natural reticence regarding pentagrams and covenants made in blood. His apprenticeship in the Ghazan Academy steeling him from dabbling with such shamanism and black magics though his own access to arcane learning came from opening such a magically held-closed portal himself.
This is quite interesting as a character snippet. Perhaps as we have journeyed together it is something spoken about between us. Shared over a beer or as we walk. That kind of group character chat in the background.

So I wonder if Spearmint has dropped that in here as a hint or clue as well (sorry if that is metagaming. But I think from your games what you post in the narrative is viewed as 'common knowledge' not secret). So maybe Cosmo you have a skill that we or even yourself has yet to fully realise.

Vann Hector is not a mage but a thief in class. (as far as you know ...) Anyway, I researched the door from a mage point of view and understand the spell Hold Portal can be easily Dispelled away and that the Held door would not hold back certain higher levels of undead, demons, other planar creatures.

I am going to put a guess out here and say there might be two spells on the door. One to stop the Crypt Knight, 'Blossom of Death' from getting out and the second put on this side of the door preventing undead or adventuring speculators getting in.

Anyway, I thought I would share some of my brainstorm and wonder if the highlighted quote regarding Cosmo has any relevance here.
Nordbo
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#84 Post by Nordbo »

Cosmo
his own access to arcane learning came from opening such a magically held-closed portal himself.
It does indeed sound like our good DM is hinting at some kind of previously acquired knowledge or event - that's how I interpreted it too. What that might be, though, I'm unfortunately not 100% clear about and therefore don't quite know how to apply here, sorry :?
Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#85 Post by Stirling »

His apprenticeship in the Ghazan Academy does that ring any bells?
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#86 Post by Spearmint »

I am just scripting my update. Delayed posting as I want to make sure I cover all the information clearly and take note of what I have shared in the other expedition or threads regarding the Soothsayer and information taken from study of the literature previously acquired. So I am tracing several character private forums so as not to miss or even contradict what I shared.

Will edit here and update later tonight.
Nordbo
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#87 Post by Nordbo »

His apprenticeship in the Ghazan Academy does that ring any bells?
Yes, you wrote earlier:
Cosmo though has a natural reticence regarding pentagrams and covenants made in blood. His apprenticeship in the Ghazan Academy steeling him from dabbling with such shamanism and black magics though his own access to arcane learning came from opening such a magically held-closed portal himself.
of which the underlined part I didn't quite get, as it was new to me. But if this means Cosmo somehow has been granted some special portal-opening skills then I'm all ears! What are they, and how could they be applied in this scenario? Thanks in advance
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#88 Post by Spearmint »

Cosmo

I was referring to this from your character sheet biography:
Cosmo Snag was born in Twuaan Rock, growing up in a rundown .... One day, when picking the pockets of a strange bearded man in a luminous kaftan outside the Ghazan Academy of Illusions, Cosmo laid his hands on an item that would catapult him out of his career as a simple delinquent. For it was a Hand of Hoodoo - a gate pass to that very Academy. Stepping inside the gates of thaumaturgical teaching, Cosmo entered a magical new world, and would have been destined for a life fully devoted to teaching necromancy ...
Here is a picture of what I imagine it to be, an actual mage's hand not just a card drawing that could be flashed at a door guard.

Now I am not saying that it is relevant here, but VH is correct that I try to incorporate players backgrounds, skills, heirloom items, knowledge in the game so that such do have a role to play. For example Sir Dewey read a book about a godly knight which subsequently gave him a bonus save or attack vs the ungodly crypt Knight. In another example, Dalin the dwarf caught Mummy Rot which disfigured his features. Fleeing hunters he stumbled on a cave of Bugbear lepers who received him as he looked as they did. Fapp the halfling had written his backstory of 'working with the circus lion tamers' so when faced with a feral warg, I gave him a bonus to calming it. Sigrid spoke troll which enabled her not to be eaten by the troll in the wood.

So you have an item in your character arc, obviously important to you since you stole it back from Alastar, and apprenticed to some level of Necromantic knowledge which may become more relevant as you advance in levels, especially with this focus on tombs of undead.

I will update the scene later, just popping this in to give some background to the discussion.
Attachments
Hand of Hoodoo
Hand of Hoodoo
IMG_20220905_131114.jpg (55.16 KiB) Viewed 381 times
Nordbo
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#89 Post by Nordbo »

Thanks Spearmint for advice and creative idea how to 'connect the dots' between Cosmo's background and current scene.

Cosmo

for security, subconsciously grabs hold of his one trusted item - the Hand of Hoodoo. Feeling its familiar yet still mystic carved twirls safely ensconced in his clasped fist, an idea springs to mind.

From his secure-ish position in the back shadows, and still no less terrified, he stretches out his hand, offering to let someone more boldly inclined use his precious symbol in the process now playing out in front of them. "I don't know if it will work, or help us - it is really only an entrance badge from my old school - but if this symbol can aid in opening the portal, I will lend it to anyone willing to try it out. Vann ? Sir Dewey ?"
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#90 Post by Spearmint »

Barrow Moor, Duchy of Aerik.

Barrow Mounds.
May 26th 1066.

great the group pick up on ideas and suggestions. I do try to weave in background stories so that players feel their character is going on a personal journey rather than a generic adventurer turned hero. Things you share or discover may be relevant at any time.

Also, never be afraid to ask. Saying "hey Spearmint, as a player I think I am a bit stuck with this problem, challenge, enigma, skill but would my character know something or have experience of this or that?" is fine to ask.

The chanting continues and the group pitching voices and concentration hold the summoned spirit of the deceased Sauron priest in place. Sir Dewey can attest the spirit is not 'undead' as many ghostly apparitions may manifest as. Cosmo takes no chances, preferring to keep company with the stuffed bear and conscript guardsmen. He considers what he has read before and experienced, the limited study he conducting prior while playing nursemaid to the injured paladin. Rituals, spells, arcana, held portals, access denied but to a chosen few, Alastar with his tattooed map, keywords and actions. Saying "open sesame" didn't act as a Knock spell might and none yet have tried to Dispel the magic on the bronze portal. Perhaps another form of key can suffice?

I wrote this and stored as a draft post, so I will deal with Cosmo's actions and any use of the Hoodoo Hand in the next update.

While the gnome contemplates, the spirit summoned speaks answering Sir Dewey's questions.
"Shaman. I request your aid in releasing the seal. Tell us about the Blossom of Death and what else you know. Give us the means to break the seal and defeat it."
"Magyar Varghoulis, Lord Myrmidon of Nergal's Chosen. Champion of the Black Legion, he was slain at the cost of many valiant hearts, whose blood poured out in earnest sacrifice mortars the very tomb stones in place.

As Nergal awakens, so too his devotees. To wage havoc among the living and the dead. Varghoulis rests beyond with the most trusted of his host."

The Sauron spirit explains that the Oath he took, as all priests observe, was to continue the ritual which restrained the Knight from fully forming from wraith form to a corporeal body again so that he could manifest his presence back in the earth. Though now, once in physical form, he can be released and from Sir Dewey's point of view, he can once more be slain.

However the Sauron priest's last act was to seal entrance in his blood and that was in effect in perpetuity. Unlike the dead Knight, he cannot assume physical form again but his spirit may still be slain.

"As I was in life, so shall I be in death. My blood seals the bond. To lift that binding you must defeat me once more."

At this Bharazd'had suddenly jerks and fits. He shakes himself as the spirit tries to take possession of his body. He manages to resist the attempt though it brings the chanting ritual to a halt. Rather than dissipate and return from whence he came, the Sauron priest is still present within the binding sign.

And thus, summoned and questioned, the Sauron spirit draws a ghostly pair of scimitars, salutes his opponents and challenges any who wish to open the portal to deal with him first.

Sauron priest: Possession attempt [1d20]=5 Bharazd'had saving throw [1d20]=16

actions and questions please
Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#91 Post by Darithe »

Sigrid

Grey eyes wide at the sight of the spirit, she watches the scene transpire. Paying particular attention to Bharazd'had as his face contorts and the ritual is suspended. She had seen such contortions before when the tribe shaman channeled the spirits, which she now assumed Bharazd'had was doing. She observed him for the duration of his...communing...and watched with some relief as he returned to himself. She glanced briefly to Moorheath and then to Sir Dewey. For now she held herself in check, though in her mind her fingers began to pull threads preparing for what would come next.
Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#92 Post by Stirling »

Vann Hector

Interesting that he tried to physically take possession of the chief summoner. Just as well that Bharazd'had was able to resist the attempt. In this spectral form, I suspect only magic weapons might harm him and ultimately send the Sauron priest to his afterlife.

Certainly worth checking out the Hoodoo Hand and if it will open the door. Doors are built for opening, otherwise you would just build a wall. So there must be a key of sorts, whether actual or a spoken command word, force of arms or even a necromancer's hand.

For now though he will try to repeat aiding the fight against the Sauron priest, hoping that Bharazd'had doesn't do anything to betray our trust in him.

Vann Hector's: Crypt Knight's longsword melee vs s/m [1d20+2]=20+2=22 [1d8+1]=6+1=7

"Like that!" he says to Sir Dewey as he excells proudfully in his martial craft.
Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#93 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sir Dewey

The Knight lowers his head at the spirit's words. "I wish it had not come to this, but so be it. If we were able to summon and challenge you, so can the followers of Nergal. This Champion must be destroyed now."

"Good show!" He exults as Vann Hector shows how best to wield a longsword. "Save some for me."

Flail(19): [1d20+1]=7+1=8 "Ooof. I've been stationary too long, forgot to stretch."
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#94 Post by Spearmint »

Barrow Mounds.
May 26th 1066.

Upon seeing the summoned spirit challenge his vanquishers, the young acolyte of Arcantryl, Moorheeth changes his chanting tone to invoke a blessing over the group rather than holding steadfast to binding the Sauron priest in place. In the potential upcoming conflict, every divine aid is welcome.

Bless spell cast.

Not able to get a surprise backstab in, the rogue Vann Hector still manages to critically stab the incorporeal form of the summoned Sauron priest. His longsword, so long held in the hands of a Nergal devotee bites deep into the spirit sending spurts of ectoplasm into the air. Paladin Sir Dewey is unable to follow up. Sundance breaks her chant concentration to invoke her arcane gift, causing the head of the priest to be wreathed in magical flame. as Magic Missile. -3hp

Bharazd'had refrains from attacking, joining with Sigrid in more chanting to stop the spirit from disappearing before he is vanquished again. Cosmo checks over the Hand of Hoodoo wondering if this mystic key that allowed him entrance into a secretive arcane Academy that dealt with illusion and necromancy can open the portal into the underworld beyond.
The Sauron priest visible staggers under the attacks, the magic enhanced attacks penetrating into the corrupt void in which he still exists as guardian. He wields dual shadow scimitars but their edged blades only batter upon the raised shield of the paladin.

next attacks please.
Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#95 Post by Stirling »

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#96 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sir Dewey

Focusing on defense over attacking, the Knight half-asses the attack.

Flail: [1d20+1]=3+1=4
Nordbo
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#97 Post by Nordbo »

Cosmo

moves up just close enough - but also distant enough - to let him cast Color Spray at the Sauron priest, and does so.
Darkmane
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#98 Post by Darkmane »

Moorheeth

Moorheeth holds his staff at the ready, and continues his chant of blessing. If Sir Dewey needs further aid he will leap in, but will remain back for now, ready to cast further spells as well if needed. He will glance around, in case all of this activity stirs anything else in the chamber.
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#99 Post by Spearmint »

Barrow Mounds.
May 26th 1066.

Wreathed in a halo of magical fire, the summoned spirit attacks the mage that ensorcelled him, stabbing and slashing at Sundance -1hp. ruining her next spell casting action and erasing the fiery interpretation of Magic Missile from her arcane repertoire.

Reciprocal stabs and slashes miss, but a rainbow arc of colours does find a mark upon the visage of the priest. The mesmerising effect seems to blind the spirit for his swashbuckling attacks become more random as he fails to note your exact location around the pentagram edge. He stabs out at the chanting Bharazd'had, cursing him for calling him forth and breaking the Oath to hold the door firm from intruders.

His ghostly form quivers as his existential existence is threatened. Encouraged you are on the edge of completing his banishment, aided by the Blessing from Moorheeth, those in melee can press their attacks.
actions please
Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#100 Post by Stirling »

Return to “Completed Expeditions”