Journey to the Mines

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Journey to the Mines

#61 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Parson Paul trusts that the Gods have provided these companions to him to protect, and to protect him. He prays for the ability to Cure Light Wounds, and then, at the bridge, he stands at edge of the woods as the others walk into plain sight. He looks around for signs of any dangerous creatures or traps nearby. He drums his fingers on his prayer book.

Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#62 Post by Tamerlaine »

spanningtree wrote:Grenda - ElfOCC: Was Grenda able to re-learn sleep during the evening? How much gold was distributed to the players?

As they approach the bridge Grenda will keep an eye out for tracks or prints that might indicate recent use.
OOC: Yes, Grenda has memorized Sleep again if that is the spell you'd like to choose. Same for Igneous. Aldredus has memorized Soubirous' Superior Perception of Thaumaturgical Flow for his spell. As for the gold, 166 pieces of gold total was found among the coins, the rest being of the copper and silver variety. Seven equal shares (remember Fastolf) comes out to 23 gp per person with 5 left to go around.

Aldredus is visibly nervous and tells anyone who will listen about the old tales of trolls and bridges.

Giving in to hero worship regarding ol' Arndur Shimmerhand, Cedric cautiously steps onto the bridge and finally stomps his hairy foot against the stone surface. Nothing happens.

Norzak the dwarf is confident of his race's ability with stone and rock and steps out onto the bridge as well in an attempt to judge the integrity of the bridge. OOC: the bridge is roughly 90 yards long, how far does Norzak go?

Parson Paul remains within the treeline with Grenda, keeping an eye out while keeping his prayer book in hand.

There is only the sound of the wind rushing through the gorge and a heavy feeling of solemnity hanging over the bridge.

Actions?

rossik
Ranger
Ranger

#63 Post by rossik »

(OCC i believe Igneos said the troll stuf, but thats not a problem)

The Fire Wizard will scout the sides of the bridge

tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#64 Post by tarlyn »

Norzak

Norzak will not venture too far out on the bridge for fear of a trap or ambush of some sort.

"I think we needs ter be careful 'ere. Easy place fer an ambush I reckon. Bridge is safe enough."
"I drained the soul of a monk once....... It tasted like Chocolate."

alver
Ranger
Ranger

#65 Post by alver »

Cedric waits for a bit for something to happen. "Well we gotta go across though, right?" he calls, starting to walk towards the middle of the bridge. The mention of an ambush makes him a bit uneasy though, so his eyes dart here and there, looking for unknown dangers.

Look for traps [1d6] = 1

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#66 Post by spanningtree »

Grenda - Elf

Genda follows Cedric onto the bridge.

Yes, excellent choke point for and ambush but I don't think this place gets a lot of visitors... probably a lot of undead at night.
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#67 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Seeing the fighters start across the bridge gives Paul some courage but it isn't until he realizes that Grenda is leaving him behind that he acts. He scurries forward at her side. The restless dead? Here? Do you really think? I... I have training but no practical experience. But the theory is there. I'm quite sure I could handle a skeleton or two. But I don't believe I would fare well with a vampire or liche. Not yet. He hammers on, nervously, while watching for signs of enemies behind. Even a blind person could see he is frightened out of his wits.

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#68 Post by spanningtree »

Grenda - Elf

Grenda smiles from under her hood, keeps walking toward Cedric but talking to Paul: Ja, a lich or vampire would seal the fate of the whole group I would think. Battlefields are unmarked cemeteries... it would be prudent to not be here at night. You may soon enough get some practical experience regarding the undead.

OCC: 23 gp pocketed.
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#69 Post by Pulpatoon »

Aldredus holds off on following the rest of the party for just a smidge longer. Not out of cowardice, of course. It's just... well, he's inordinately occupied with the foliage on this tree, over here. Simply fascinating. Everyone crossed safely? Okay, well, he may have had his fill of botanical appreciation for the moment.

Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#70 Post by Tamerlaine »

As those who step onto the bridge, Norzak is able to get a better feel for the bridge with each step. There are pits and gouges in the surface where weapons had scored the perfectly fitted stones so long ago. Sections of the stone railing are gone, the gaps giving an unfettered view of the steep-sided gorge at either side. It is not surprising to the dwarf that the bridge is still structurally sound. It was crafted by dwarves.

Halfway across, the picture of what awaits at the side becomes clearer. Bleached skulls set onto spears and pikes, the weathered wood shafts jutting out from loose pyramids of more pale skulls. Crude pennants and some kind of filament flutter from the rusted points. It's clear to everyone the skulls are those of dwarves

Fastolf's face is solemn. "Those are victory totems, the pennants showing which tribe of orc or goblin fought here; Pitbashers, Skull-gnashers, the Bloodpukes... The beards of the dwarves that fell here were cut off and tied to them as well. Doesn't look like anything's lying in wait."

rossik
Ranger
Ranger

#71 Post by rossik »

(OOC: so, i found nothing at the sides of the bridge?)

Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#72 Post by Tamerlaine »

rossik wrote:(OOC: so, i found nothing at the sides of the bridge?)
Correct, just stone rails and broken gaps in the railings. Unless you meant something else?

rossik
Ranger
Ranger

#73 Post by rossik »

Tamerlaine wrote:
rossik wrote:(OOC: so, i found nothing at the sides of the bridge?)
Correct, just stone rails and broken gaps in the railings. Unless you meant something else?
(OCC: no, thats fine, i will keep along with the group)

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#74 Post by Pulpatoon »

All the color drains out of Aldredus' face when he sees the gruesome display. "How... that is..." he swallows audibly, "Not very cheery."

When Fastolf rattles off a list of tribes, Aldredus uneasily asks, "Is this the work of one of those tribes, or several of them? And, uh, would you say this was the work of orcs or goblins?"

To Norzak: "Is there a ritual or anything you'd like to do to honor the dead? Burial or pyre, or something?"

tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#75 Post by tarlyn »

Norzak

"Tis' bin too long, I fear. I ain' tha most religious dwarf but tis a good thought an I kin try at any rate."

The dwarf pauses momentarily, glad Fastolf mentioned it and offers a prayer up to the dwarvish gods for the dead.

alver
Ranger
Ranger

#76 Post by alver »

Cedric stares at the totems and skulls, but does not comment on them. Instead he asks Fastolf, "So where is this back door that you found? With dwarf statue or what was it."

Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#77 Post by Tamerlaine »

alver wrote:Cedric stares at the totems and skulls, but does not comment on them. Instead he asks Fastolf, "So where is this back door that you found? With dwarf statue or what was it."
"Patience, wee one. A half day's travel and you'll be getting a close look at that statue," the warden replies. "Let's leave this place for it gives me an unease that gnaws at me."

Once past the eerie totems, the party leaves the solemn silence of the bridge behind them. After a while Fastolf leads you off the old dwarven road onto a narrow path you feel more suited for mountain goats. The old warden reminds you in a hushed whisper to stay quiet as any noise may bring unwanted attention.

The trees thin out until there is only a stunted shrub here and there, bleak looking and shaped by the wind. The solid footing changes to that of loose shale and after a misplaced foot sends stones skittering down the slope, the warden gives the offender a hard, sharp look before continuing on.

It is late afternoon when the party enters a small narrow canyon in the side of Mount Khunmar. Piles of old mine tailings and rubble dot the canyon. A rutted trail ends at a 30 foot high ramp, cut from the stone of the cliff walls. The ramp leads up to a rectangular opening , 20’ high by 10’ wide. At the opening, a battered stone dwarf in armor leans against the canyon wall while rocky overhang casts the entrance in darkness.

Actions?

OOC: Okay, we're finally here! Please do me a favor and give me the indoor marching order as well as light source used and who is holding it. Also, if you would, at the bottom of your posts indicate your character's AC, HPs, and spells currently memorized if applicable. Everyone good? Let's have some fun!

alver
Ranger
Ranger

#78 Post by alver »

Cedric

"This door is huge! It's exactly like you said..." he whispers to Fastolf with appreciation.

"Hey Norzak... you wanna go first? Cause you know about the traps and things that dwarfs make. I heard they can make like axes come out of walls and make a big stone ball roll down the stairs."

Proposed marching order posted in OOC thread.

Cedric Noakes: AC 6, HP 7/7.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#79 Post by Pulpatoon »

Aldredus starts poking around the general area, looking for signs of recent use or passage.

Aldredus: AC 9 HP 5/5 Detect Magic

tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#80 Post by tarlyn »

alver wrote:Cedric

"This door is huge! It's exactly like you said..." he whispers to Fastolf with appreciation.

"Hey Norzak... you wanna go first? Cause you know about the traps and things that dwarfs make. I heard they can make like axes come out of walls and make a big stone ball roll down the stairs."

Proposed marching order posted in OOC thread.

Cedric Noakes: AC 6, HP 7/7.
Norzak

"Aye, I kin go first. An yerp, dwarves gots all kinds o' nasty surprises 'n' fun."

First thing Norzak does is check for any signs of traps around the entrance, the entrance, above the entrance. Anywhere

there could possibly be one. Even on the ceiling for that matter. He takes his time.

"I figger tis better ta take me time then fer us all ter die."

HP: 9 / 9
AC:reg/rear/no shield 4 / 4 / 5(Chain Mail & Shield)
Last edited by tarlyn on Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “The Mines of Khunmar (LL)”