[Completed] - Rhodri/Second Finger - 18 April, 1 VC

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: Expedition - Rhodri/Second Finger - 18 April, 1 VC

#61 Post by Spartakos »

Oh, F....
I don't suppose there's any chance the rest of us wake up during this conversation?

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#62 Post by KingOfCowards »

"No time to be modest. Why, you're the talk of the town, what with your new alliance with Lord Vaul. But where are my manners? Sneaking up on the great wolf, without introducing myself. I be Kennit...and I suppose I may smell like goblin...(sniff, sniff)....but that's only cuz I've been killing them. But that's neither here nor there. What can I do for you, now that you know who I am?"

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#63 Post by Zhym »

Go, Kennit, go! :D

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#64 Post by Keehnelf »

"I sniffed out some goblin, some blood, and some gold, and wondered what damage I might do that needed to be done. What brings you this far into the forest? Don't you know there's an ogre about?"

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#65 Post by Keehnelf »

Spartakos wrote:Oh, F....
I don't suppose there's any chance the rest of us wake up during this conversation?
Nope. It's a quiet conversation on the far side of the rock from the party. Kennit could call an alarm to wake the party, but this conversation won't do it without the halfling being conspicuously loud.

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#66 Post by KingOfCowards »

"Its through the forest that we're heading. After some of that gold that you say you smell. If I had a nose such as yours, I wouldn't need to kill for my wages. But I haven't seen a goblin fer days, nor an ogre, not that I mind your warning. Is it a friend of yours or the goblins?"

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#67 Post by Mister-Kent »

Numen gently stirs from his slumber, a faint smile crossing his face before he opens his eyes. He leaves Mammon asleep, but clutches his sword and his backpack, and rises to his feet.

There is a hushed conversation nearby, around a great rock, and the elf walks slowly towards it. Arriving on the scene of Kennit and the Black Wolf, Numen doesn't hesitate to speak.

"Had a curious dream," he says, tilting his head. "There were...many people. Thousands. Drowning in a sea of fire and...blood." He reflects on that for a moment, absent-mindely licking his lips. He removes a bag from his pack, and with a great bow presents the dwarf beard to the Black Wolf. "I knew you were here."

"Mangore," he says breathlessly. "We meet again."

He turns to Kennit up on the rock, and beckons him down. "He is a friend," Numen insists.

Oh, and 2 rations deducted from earlier
DMing DUNGEONESQUE, LL AEC Gothic-weird fantasy
DMing CAT'S CRADLE, Stars Without Number/Other Dust
Playing
Constance Wyrdweather and Ruwyn Hollowheart in Labyrinth Lord: West Marches Sandbox (LL AEC)
Formerly Numen, Thisby Queller (RIP) and Radiant Olympia (RIP)!
Frekken Ribbitowicz in Mutant Future: Tales from Gam'A Zone (Gamma World)
Anne Summerisle and Gustav the Grasping in Caves of Chaos (LL)
Elden Vodarte in The Horror at Briarsgate (AD&D 1E)
I make the comics and arts! // Tumblr // DeviantArt // EnterVOID

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#68 Post by Keehnelf »

The black wolf seems to laugh. "The sword--the ridiculous dwarf-trophies...you've offed the son of a bitch, then? What a cancerous pain in my side that one was. You have my thanks."

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#69 Post by Mister-Kent »

Numen nods. "But of course. Only wish we could have done more. We made a plan...but our opportunity was lost."

"I...I meant to seek you at the stones. To tell you that Numen, of the Ruined Tribe, thinks of you still," he explains, pressing his hand to his chest. "Also, my new friend tells me there is much work to be done." He indicates the black sword, and slides his palm along the hilt. "What would you have us do?"
Playing
Constance Wyrdweather and Ruwyn Hollowheart in Labyrinth Lord: West Marches Sandbox (LL AEC)

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#70 Post by Keehnelf »

The wolf seems taken aback for a moment. "Oh, this is an interesting development indeed. There are two things that I need to accomplish, only one of which has found its ripe time. There is a book hidden under the altar among the standing stones, all in black leather with a broken silver circle on the cover. If you bring that to me here in the forest without being discovered by the goblins or by the others who make sorties out of that wretched city, we can speak of next steps."

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#71 Post by KingOfCowards »

Kennit casts a doubtful look at Numen's interpretation of "friend". He finds he feels much safer where he is on higher ground.

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#72 Post by Mister-Kent »

"...How can this tome be accessed?" Numen asks.

He then looks sidelong at Kennit, still perched upon the rock, and drops to one knee before the Black Wolf. He begins to speak in the chaotic tongue.
"Please, do not begrudge him his ill-manners," Numen pleads. "He is rightly awestruck by your arrival. My traveling companions are hardy folk who will serve well. However..."

"We had a run-in with wolves not long ago that set our work back a bit. Suffered grave injury. I ask...if I have proven my loyalty and am to do you this service...then mark me as a servant. Grant a blessing, if you will, that I and anyone traveling with me will go among wolves unharmed, provided we keep to our task and leave them be."

"Please. For one whom you once called a 'cousin', I humbly ask this nothing more."
Numen bows his head, solemnly awaiting the Wolf's answer.
Playing

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#73 Post by Keehnelf »

The wolf bows his head almost sadly in response to Numen's speech before responding in Chaotic:
"If I am not mistaken, the halfling understands us well enough. The book is easily acquired, tucked into a hollow under the altar stone to be pulled loose. Alas, you have nothing to fear from the wolves of the moor any longer, even without my mark. My kin lie enslaved or slain, all my lieutenants dead at the hand of goblin or adventurer. Despite my alliance with the duke, my hold on this land is shaken if not in ruins.

"If you can bring me the book within one week's time, without disturbing any other item you may find there, then perhaps the future of this land may be salvaged. There is a well-guarded goblin facility in the roots of the mountain where wolves are bred and held captive, trained by servants of The Lord of Flames to serve goblin under a goblin yoke. They are many. If you will aid me, we can make a push to turn the tide against these vile creatures.

"I know that you are bound for the Finger. I can offer you directions to this lair, shadow you and aid with my magic and in dire need with my might. First, though, I require the book. And I must add that any of your group who choose to slay or harm rather than free the wolves of their prison shall face my less-than-tender mercy."

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#74 Post by Mister-Kent »

Numen replies solemnly.
"Yes of course--Kennit is free to hear and know all we speak of. I find I simply...communicate better in this tongue."

"I will present this task to my allies. Will we find you here then, when we return with the book?"

"Also, there is some discussion of a nearby witch-tree. Some meddlesome enchantress--do you know of her?"
He bows, and prepares to return to the camp.
Playing

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#75 Post by Keehnelf »

Chaotic:
"She's annoying, but knows her place. Not dangerous to any but the weak of mind. Steer clear if you're not sure of yourself, though. There are some in your group that would likely oppose an alliance with me, such as the priest, the giant and the dwarf. It may serve our interests better to keep them in the dark rather than to risk a confrontation. I will be waiting near here on the seventh day from now."
The wolf lopes off into the shadows under the trees.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#76 Post by Keehnelf »

KingOfCowards wrote:"Its through the forest that we're heading. After some of that gold that you say you smell. If I had a nose such as yours, I wouldn't need to kill for my wages. But I haven't seen a goblin fer days, nor an ogre, not that I mind your warning. Is it a friend of yours or the goblins?"
Sorry, I completely missed this post somehow:

"The ogre's no friend of mine, and quite a vicious one, too. The goblins are licking their wounds but they will return in force once The Lord of Flame discovers what a threat you all are. This forest will be crawling with goblins, and worse, and then the moor, and there will be nothing do do but roll over and pray they kill us quietly as we sleep."

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#77 Post by Keehnelf »

April 21, 1 VC - 8:00am

I'm assuming this is the end of the exchange with the wolf. Feel free to continue in private forums as needed if not.

The party wakes the next morning after uneventful sleep to find the sky completely clear and likely to warm over the course of the day. While the spell casters prepare themselves, Adrienne calls attention to some fresh rabbit tracks quite close to the camp. "At least we know there are edible things in the forest. Keep your eyes open: we may be able to bag a meal today." She says.

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#78 Post by Spartakos »

Rhodri stretches the kinks out of his neck, gathers his gear, and is ready to go after a brief breakfast...including the last of his bacon, which he eats mournfully. "Well, our third day dawns and no one has shuffled off the mortal coil yet. That's practically a miracle for this country." Hearing Adrienne's words, he keeps an arrow nocked to his bow in case an opportunity to bag some game turns up.

Carrying on northward, then. We'll stop when we hit the edge of the treeline, keeping under cover, so we can assess a good approach to the Finger.

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#79 Post by Zorroroaster »

Orrin rises from a deep sleep, and begins to prepare to leave, munching on some hardtack as he does. He grunts a greeting to the others already awake, and once finished packing his equipment moves to the perimeter of the camp to keep an eye out as others wake up.

He listens to Adrienne talk about rabbits.

"Perhaps you could describe these trees we are looking for to the rest of us. Certainly many pairs of eyes will be better than one pair alone as we walk today."
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#80 Post by Keehnelf »

Also, everyone please deduct one day's rations.

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”