Chapter 4: Shadows and Piercing Light

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 4: Shadows and Piercing Light

#62 Post by Rukellian »

Deceidon lets fly two more arrows (please make sure you are keeping count). Fortunately for Gustov and Flynn, the arrows hit nothing. "Hey, watch it!" Shouts the half elf as he starts to execute his dagger strikes, noticing that Deceidon actually fired into melee. His first one slices deep and nearly cuts the zombie into two, the zombie tries to retaliate but fails horribly with an aimless flail of his arm. With a second cut, the zombie goes down.

Flynn once again shows his great proficiency with the rapier as he does an elegant sweep, lopping off the zombie's two legs. The torso collapses to the ground and squirms around for a bit in front of the swashbucker. He then kicks it back with a disgusted tone, "Back foul hellspawn! You shall not bite my ankles today!" Three zombies remain, a heavily wounded one that has been reduced to a torso and two full health zombies behind it.

As the DM, I'm going to force a ruling here for the sake of getting the team back together soon. Please understand that I will not make a habit of this and that I will usually let you guys decide such things in your pace.

Flynn, Gustov, and Deceidon start to feel the effects of their constant fighting and walking all day, not having a proper rest since they first woke up in the inn. After the fight, they will feel exhausted and take a couple of hours to rest (allowing Whitsell to join your group with timelines remaining accurate).
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#63 Post by Grognardsw »

Deceidon

Deceidon draws sword and dagger and engages the wounded zombie. He slashes awkwardly at the torso, and tries to follows up with dagger.
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#64 Post by Grognardsw »

Flynn

"Foul creatures!" snarls Flynn as he has at it with one of the uninjured zombies. He thrusts and stabs with his rapier. "Back from whence you came!"
Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#65 Post by Rukellian »

Flynn jumps over the torso, already quite finished with it, and moves on to another target.
"Foul creatures!" snarls Flynn as he has at it with one of the uninjured zombies. He thrusts and stabs with his rapier. "Back from whence you came!"
The creature stands, but cannot retaliate, the dashing swashbuckler proving too agile.

Gustov makes quick work of his adversary, managing to deflect a pick axe swipe with an agility fitting of his kind. Try as Deceidon might, he cannot seem to land any solid hits on the torso crawling on the ground. It latches onto this leg and throws his attacks off balance. The torso though cannot land an attack of its own.

Upon seeing the torso spring to life and cling to a leg, Amberlynn shrieks a bit in fright, not expecting to see something like that ever in her life.

1 and a half zombies remain, one of which is down to half its life, the other barely holding on, fueled by a dark magic to keep it going no doubt.
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#66 Post by Grognardsw »

Flynn

"Die a final death!" says Flynn as he swipes and slashes at the remaining skeleton.
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#67 Post by Grognardsw »

Deceidon

The undead creatures must be rattling the fighter-thief, for Deceidon again cannot connect with sword or dagger.
I didn't bother to cut/paste the rolls in.
Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#68 Post by Rukellian »

The second skirmish in the mountain comes to a close. The last zombie that is standing is cut down by Flynn's rapier and the struggling torso is put down for good by an accurately thrown dagger. "Sorry, were you still working on that one?" The sarcasm was apparent in the half elf's voice, almost as if he were trying to invite an angry reaction.

The group then remains quiet for a moment and listens for any more signs of them. Nothing. Amberlynn, barely able to keep herself contained, runs forth a bit asks them in a bit of desperation, "is it over, are they all gone now? Oh what were those things!?!"

Flynn slowly walks over to her and rests his hand reassuringly on her shoulder with a smile. As he does this, he slowly sits to the ground, back against a wall, showing heavy signs of exhaustion. The group unanimously decides to take a break just outside the mountain entrance, hoping to regain some of their strength before going back in. By the time they finish resting, they can hear the sounds of plate mail in the distance. They all look towards the bandit camp and find their groupmate Whitsell returning, donned in new armor. He waves his hand with a smile.
onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#69 Post by onlyme »

Whitsell waves...
Whew... thought I wouldnt find you... Look... my arm's good as new.. Did you find anything, or just decide to wait on me?
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#70 Post by Grognardsw »

Deceidon gathers his arrows before retreating back to rest.

Upon seeing Whitsell: "Oh we just relaxed here, lounging about waiting for you to get your beauty rest and shiny new armor. The fate of New Dathan and our world, it's not that urgent you know."
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#71 Post by Grognardsw »

Flynn hugs Amberlynn. "It's okay my sweet," he whispers to the nervous healer. "Those creatures are truly dead."

He whispers more sweet nothings to the girl until the errant companion returns. "Welcome back Whitsell! We need your blade! Now let us continue!"

The group returns to the forked corridor where the zombies were slain.

"Use a 10' pole for trip wire searching this time," Flynn says to Gustov and Deceidon.
onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#72 Post by onlyme »

Whitsell falls in line with them.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#73 Post by Rukellian »

Now that Whitsell has joined the group, where in the current marching order will he be situated? Also, I do not see a 10' pole in your group's collective inventory. You can, however, make use of your thief skills; you just need to state that you will be using them. Up to this point, no one has done so, resulting in tripping all of those wires.

Once I get the marching order clarified, and a specific course of action from you guys, I will provide my update(s).
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#74 Post by Grognardsw »

Marching Order?

Gustov
Whitsell
Flynn
Amber
Deceidon

I have a 10' pole in my equipment list. The retractable one I've had from the beginning.

Gustov will check for traps every 25', in front of doors (pits), and at each intersection/fork, particularly for trip wires. If there is some doubt Deceidon will advance to join in the trap search.
"Shall we go right gentlemen?" asks Deceidon at the forked corridor.
onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#75 Post by onlyme »

Right is fine with me, good sir...

Whitsell looks around for anything that makes him question the decision.

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#76 Post by Rukellian »

Flynn gives a respectful bow with his signature grin, allowing Whitsell and Gustov to take up the front ranks. "I suppose I could share the role of leadership. Gives me all the more time to stay with and protect our sweet little flower here." He ends with a wink as he puts his arm around Amberlynn. She cannot help but to blush and stay silent, her gaze transfixed on the ground before her. The smile on her face gives away her true feelings though.

With Deceidon's 10' pole at the ready, Gustov start's to take the right path, moving slowly and carefully as he pays special attention for any wires that might be on the ground. As they round the curve heading north, they pass the two expansions on the left, most likely where the zombies came from. They both end abruptly, as if the people digging there stopped. Mining equipment can be found strewn across the floors, showing that this is what was most likely happening. After about going 20-30' north, you find that the wall curves to the east again. As soon as you round this corner, Gustov raises a hand and stop the group. "I think I found another wire. It's just high enough off the ground for someone to trip it if they are not careful..." He looks to Flynn as he says this, not hiding the fact at all that the comment was meant for him.
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#77 Post by Grognardsw »

Flynn

"Careful!" whispers Flynn. "I do not wish to fight still more undead."

He steps carefully over the trip wire, helping AmberLynn as well.
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#78 Post by Grognardsw »

Deceidon

"If only we had a man of god here whose boundless faith could repel such undead," adds Deceidon, stepping over the wire, following Whitsell.
Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#79 Post by Rukellian »

As the group carefully walks over the tripwire, they continue for about 10 more feet when they start to hear distant noises just up ahead. Its a repetitive sound at that, almost synchronized. It is the sound of metal striking something hard, you think. No foul smells can be found in the air.
Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#80 Post by Grognardsw »

Flynn

"Hold!" whispers Flynn. "Miners at work? Gustov and Deceidon your sneaking skills may come in handy now."

Return to “Fabricator of Planes: a Rukellian Module”